Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 2, 2013 11:03 PM

Oct 2013
im at episode 6 atm and it seem that every episode, this girl is crying but just too much, start to annoying me a bit, dont get me wrong the series is good, but it seem that madoka is really just crying so much.... like exagerated

p.s may be its just me, just wonder if some people got annoyed a bit by this and also if she will continue to cry every episode until 12. i know that this show has lot of drama :P
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 2, 2013 11:04 PM

Apr 2007
I cry all the time and my life isn't even as dramatic as Madoka's. It's a realistic reaction to a very dire situation.
Dec 3, 2013 11:05 AM

Oct 2013
aw ok i was just asking, i finished the series yesterday, was very good, i usually never check any magic girls thing, but i was seeing a high rating on MAL, so i give a try, and i even enjoyed the series
Dec 3, 2013 11:24 AM

Dec 2012
Yes I found her really annoying. I don't believe I'm saying this but she is worse than Shinji, you would think that seeing a girl crying all the time would be more natural than a boy but she still more annoying.

I hate her whole character or lack thereof.
Dec 3, 2013 11:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I'd say she had a good enough reason for doing it
Dec 3, 2013 3:11 PM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:
Yes I found her really annoying. I don't believe I'm saying this but she is worse than Shinji, you would think that seeing a girl crying all the time would be more natural than a boy but she still more annoying.

I hate her whole character or lack thereof.
Crying when you're in a state of helplessness, confusion, and having to watch your friends and life deteriorate is sooo terrible. Wow.

People have the same issues with Madoka that they have with Shinji and they're both stupid as heck.
Dec 3, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2012
I guess this is one of the few "flaws" in the series.
You could probably go even so far to say, that her character is exploited to create the dark atmosphere and this is simply wrong.
The more I think about it, the more I become uncomfortable and see it as a flaw. Her background etc. is explained and well thought out, her actions are understandable, but in contrast to the rest of her personality the way she is presented, it just feels disappointing/unsatisfactory.
ChepriDec 3, 2013 4:50 PM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Dec 3, 2013 9:57 PM

Dec 2012
ihateeveryone said:
Crying when you're in a state of helplessness, confusion, and having to watch your friends and life deteriorate is sooo terrible. Wow.

People have the same issues with Madoka that they have with Shinji and they're both stupid as heck.

Why does people think this is a valid counter point? ''OH YOU MEANIE, WHY CAN'T YOU SYMPATHIZE WITH THIS WHINY KIDS, THEIR SITUATION IS TOTS HORRIBLE''

It doesn't matter if her crying and repetitive whiny dialogue is justified. It doesn't make it any less annoying.

My problem with Shinji is that he doesn't have development, while my problem with Madoka is the fact that she lack dimension and actual development ( acting the same way for 11 episode and then suddenly deciding to change out of nowhere is not what I call development) and it would be more accurate to call her a plot device than an actual character.
Dec 4, 2013 11:03 PM

Sep 2009
Totally agree with tsudecimo
Dec 5, 2013 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
The real answer is ''No''.

http://i.imgur.com/Sn5CJAg.jpg
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 5, 2013 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
ihateeveryone said:

Why does people think this is a valid counter point? ''OH YOU MEANIE, WHY CAN'T YOU SYMPATHIZE WITH THIS WHINY KIDS, THEIR SITUATION IS TOTS HORRIBLE''

It doesn't matter if her crying and repetitive whiny dialogue is justified. It doesn't make it any less annoying.

My problem with Shinji is that he doesn't have development, while my problem with Madoka is the fact that she lack dimension and actual development ( acting the same way for 11 episode and then suddenly deciding to change out of nowhere is not what I call development) and it would be more accurate to call her a plot device than an actual character.

Kyube said:
You could probably go even so far to say, that her character is exploited to create the dark atmosphere and this is simply wrong.
The more I think about it, the more I become uncomfortable and see it as a flaw. Her background etc. is explained and well thought out, her actions are understandable, but in contrast to the rest of her personality the way she is presented, it just feels disappointing/unsatisfactory.

Madoka is supposed to represent an ideal magical girl, and I'd say she possesses some of the most admirable traits in the genre. I've seen Madoka get compared to Shinji before, but honestly the two characters are nothing alike. We know from episode 10 that Madoka would've become a magical girl right from the beginning if Homura hadn't constantly stopped her throughout the show. That point is the key difference between Madoka and Shinji, their characters' intentions. Even though Madoka is powerless in the show, she still does what she can to try and help other people. In episode 4 when she followed Hitomi and the other possessed people into the factory she could have run away, but instead she threw out the bucket they were pouring chemicals into to stop them from killing themselves. She intervented to try and stop Sayaka from ending up in a deadly fight with Kyoko, and she accompanied both girls to support them in fights against the witches even though she has no powers of her own. Shinji cries because he is afraid for his life, but while Madoka is afriad, she also cries because her heart aches for her friends and wants to help them. When Shinji pilots the Eva he is terrified, but when Madoka becomes a magical girl and attains the power to help other people it gives her courage and hope. They are completely different characters where it really counts. Madoka's sadness is because of her compassion and the way her character was designed to be faithful to the idea of a magical girl even if the universe she is in does not accept it. IMO calling that exploitation does not do justice to her character or the meaning of her presence in the show.
Dec 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Feb 2012
None of the characters were really that great. Except maybe Kyubey.
Dec 5, 2013 10:29 PM

Dec 2012
Nobody said Madoka and Shinji were fundamentally similar or close to that. I just mentioned Shinji because he cries and whines a lot and is considered annoying by the majority of people, yet I found Madoka even more annoying and hard to sympathize with.

I honestly don't know if I should praise both of their voice actors or not because they effectively made them 10x times more annoying, weak willed, pathetic and easy to hate.

daedroth4 said:

and I'd say she possesses some of the most admirable traits in the genre.

Like what? if it's the cheesy love and helping others thing then never mind.
Dec 6, 2013 2:47 AM

Jun 2012
daedroth4 said:
tsudecimo said:
ihateeveryone said:

Kyube said:

Madoka is supposed to represent an ideal magical girl, and I'd say she possesses some of the most admirable traits in the genre. I've seen Madoka get compared to Shinji before, but honestly the two characters are nothing alike. We know from episode 10 that Madoka would've become a magical girl right from the beginning if Homura hadn't constantly stopped her throughout the show. That point is the key difference between Madoka and Shinji, their characters' intentions. Even though Madoka is powerless in the show, she still does what she can to try and help other people. In episode 4 when she followed Hitomi and the other possessed people into the factory she could have run away, but instead she threw out the bucket they were pouring chemicals into to stop them from killing themselves. She intervented to try and stop Sayaka from ending up in a deadly fight with Kyoko, and she accompanied both girls to support them in fights against the witches even though she has no powers of her own. Shinji cries because he is afraid for his life, but while Madoka is afriad, she also cries because her heart aches for her friends and wants to help them. When Shinji pilots the Eva he is terrified, but when Madoka becomes a magical girl and attains the power to help other people it gives her courage and hope. They are completely different characters where it really counts. Madoka's sadness is because of her compassion and the way her character was designed to be faithful to the idea of a magical girl even if the universe she is in does not accept it. IMO calling that exploitation does not do justice to her character or the meaning of her presence in the show.

In short: You could call her the embodiment of empathy and kindness. You could also say she was a person with a strong sense of justice and with the courage to do the right steps, which had to be done.
This is the rest and probably the major part of her personality I was talking about.

However, there is a problem. The series story focuses very much on these traits. The border between feeling empathy and not feeling empathy can usually be crossed easily. The problem is, that you can immediately notice, wether you crossed this border or not and based on that, allows you to make your own point of view of the situation freely.
It is absolutely crucial to do this right every time, because otherwise you leave the image of a weak and dull character behind. Nobody likes weak characters or wants to sympathize with them. If you want to create a weak character on purpose, you have to be extremly wary about what you are doing, because this posseses the possibility to drag down a whole story.

Not everyone has the ability or the will to be as emotional as Madoka. It is the writer's job to secure that this border isn't crossed too frequently and has to find solutions to prevent this from happening.
For example the heart to heart talk between Madoka and Sayaka in front of her house at the end of episode 7 is probably one of the best scenes in the whole show. I think there is no further explanation needed.

Obviously the series did a great job overall and I still consider the series to be one of the best series I know, but as I said not everyone feels as strongly as Madoka and not every such scene was as well made as the one named above.
This is probably the reason why there are some viewers, who disliked Madoka, even thought they liked the series in general.
But maybe this is a phenomen of someone who has seen the series/movies several times, because they became used to it and expect something clearer/purer.
ChepriFeb 1, 2014 4:58 AM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Dec 6, 2013 5:26 AM

Mar 2012
daedroth4 i like your post, i praise your opinion :D
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Jun 2012
Shes a little girl, dont they always cry?
Dec 6, 2013 11:04 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah, not like there's a problem with it. Great show I must admit.
Dec 7, 2013 8:54 AM

Dec 2012
Kyube said:
In short: You could call her the embodiment of empathy and kindness. You could also say she was a person with a strong sense of justice and with the courage to do the right steps, which had to be done.
This is the rest and probably the major part of her personality I was talking about.

However, there is a problem. The series story focuses very much on these traits. The border between feeling empathy and not feeling empathy can usually be crossed easily. The problem is, that you can immediately notice, wether you crossed this border or not and based on that, allows you to make your own point of view of the situation freely.
It is absolutely crucial to do this right every time, because otherwise you leave the image of a weak and dull character behind. Nobody likes weak characters or wants to sympathize with them. If you want to create a weak character on purpose, you have to be extremly wary about what you are doing, because this posseses the possibility to drag down a whole story.

Not everyone has the ability or the will to be as emotional as Madoka. It is the writer's job to secure that this border isn't crossed too frequently and has to find solutions to prevent this from happening.
For example the heart to heart talk between Madoka and Sayaka in front of her house at the end of episode 7 is probably one of the best scenes in the whole show. I think there is no further explanation needed.

Obviously the series did a great job overall and I still consider the series to be one of the best series I know, but as I said not everyone feels as strongly as Madoka and not every such scene was as well made as the one named above.
This is probably the reason why there are some viewers, who disliked Madoka, even thought they liked the series in general.
But maybe this is a phenomen of someone who has seen the series/movies several times, because they became used to it and expect something different.

Good post IMO, and I think I can understand what you are trying to get at. After thinking about it I'd say I agree that presenting a character in a way that is agreeable with the viewers plays a factor in how much they are liked by the audience. But I don't agree with the reasons behind that method of judging characters. For one, everyone has a different set of criteria for what makes a character likable, cool, or relatable to them. Trying to build a character with the intention of giving them a wide range of appeal would probably fail because they usually end up being watered-down characters, like your typical blank slate protagonists. So while I agree that this isn't a meaningless factor, character empathy on the scale of thousands of people is not a situation where having more is necessarily better. Rather there are benefits and drawbacks to both and I do not think characters should be designed with the intention of giving them a certain level of audience empathy, but instead to be good characters that fit within the vision of the story.

I'm also strongly opposed to the way some viewers find Madoka annoying because of her powerlessness and crying. It's the same reason why I don't believe in liking a character because they are "badass" or powerful. I've seen many characters that get a good following just because they are strong even though they don't have much else going for them. I don't think it's wrong to like those kinds of characters and I think it's okay if Madoka isn't someone's type, but that doesn't make her a bad character or poorly made. That's really the point of what I'm trying to show in these posts.

@tsudecimo, Slyr3do0n

I still disagree as strongly as I did before. Calling a character annoying is a fair enough reason to not like that character, but it isn't a good enough reason to claim that a character is bad. Even ignoring the comparisons to Shinji in my other post I think my point about Madoka still stands, because the post has examples about Madoka's actions and character motivations from the show to justify why I feel this way about Madoka's character.

I also just want to say that I don't believe the idea of love and helping others is cheesy. At a different point in my life I would've felt the same way you do, but all I can say is that I personally find those traits to be admirable.
daedroth4Dec 7, 2013 10:38 AM
Dec 8, 2013 3:52 AM

Apr 2012
Aren't little girls supposed to be cry babies?
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 20, 2013 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:
ihateeveryone said:

My problem with Shinji is that he doesn't have development, while my problem with
Madoka is the fact that she lack dimension and actual development ( acting the same way for 11 episode and then suddenly deciding to change out of nowhere is not what I call development) and it would be more accurate to call her a plot device than an actual character.

You see, this is very subjective argument: you just don't like people who are sensitive and who cry a lot. That kind of characters annoys you. So what? That dosen't mean that this character is necessarily bad. You can say that about any type of personality - some people don't lilke badasses, characters who have only one trait: they are designed to be cool and strong, they are designed to be admired. Does that mean that mean that all badasses are bad characters? Absolutely not! That just mean that certain people don't like, certain character traits. What is and what isn't annoying, is highly subjective.

I think that it's fair to say, that what constitutes as a bad character is: 1) character who is completely unbelievable - his/her reactions are completely unrealistic, he/she is not acting like a human - I think Madoka would past this test considering that she is a little girl and she cries a lot. That is actually realistic. 2) Characters simply don't have character traits - he/she will not pass so called Plinkett Characterization Test ;) : " Describe characters in the anime without saying what they look like, what they wear, or what their profession or role in the work is. Describe them to your friends like they've never seen the anime before." OK, Kamane is: naive, timid, a little insecure, soppy, kind-hearted, caring, helpful, hopefully, always sees the best in people, she wants to have meaningful life. I think she past the test :) 3) Character is an ashole: this mainly works when we are talking about protagonist who is a jerk - why would I like such a person, and why should I sympathize with him/her? - but I don't think that designing antagonist who only possess bad character traits is a exemple of good writing. Character who is purely bad, is as broing and one dimensional as character who is purely good. 4) Character is static and unchangeable, there is no character development - character who never changes is one dimensional and very unrealistic. Real people change - characters should to. Kamane had character arc - whether you like it or not. 5) Character is so called Mary Sue - someone who is designed as a perfect person. And I admit that Madoka have some Mary Sue character traits. So question should be: not if she is crying too much, but if she is Mary Sue?
Dec 20, 2013 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
Tachikoma1701 said:
You see, this is very subjective argument: you just don't like people who are sensitive and who cry a lot. That kind of characters annoys you. So what? That dosen't mean that this character is necessarily bad.

Didn't even imply this.

Dec 20, 2013 6:08 PM

Nov 2013
tsudecimo said:
Tachikoma1701 said:
You see, this is very subjective argument: you just don't like people who are sensitive and who cry a lot. That kind of characters annoys you. So what? That dosen't mean that this character is necessarily bad.

Didn't even imply this.

Yes, you did because apparently you don't like people who cry or whine - no matter if this is justified by plot or not. And that's purely subjective argument.

And she didn't changed out of nowhere: this change was foreshadowed long before it happened - she was constantly saying that she want to have meaningful life and that this will make her happy. That's why in episode 12 she's not crying etc. - because she finally have power to do something with her life. Also in episode episode 4, she proven that she can take decisive action if situation calls for it. Whatever you like it or not, she had character arc.
Jan 30, 2014 2:41 PM

Dec 2013
She's just a middle schooler. How is she supposed to act when someone dies, like nothing happened?
Feb 1, 2014 4:20 AM

Jul 2010
You're absolutely right! I mean, what kind of 14 year old girl who has lived a normal life cries when she witnesses a friend get her head bitten off, or when another friend is suffering from depression that could very well kill her. She should just brush it off like it were nothing, because it's the natural thing to do, right? Why can't she act like the heroine in Amnesia and just act passive to all situations with no reaction.

The thing about Madoka is that she's not afraid to admit her flaws, but she still tries to overcome them despite not having the utmost confidence in herself. She still tries to help her friends to the best of her abilities and support them, even when the odds turn against her, because deep down she still has hope, and throughout the series she never loses that, which honestly makes her the strongest character in the show.

She cries because she's a very loving person who doesn't want to see people suffer or get hurt. Just thinking about what the people around her has to go through and constantly feeling powerless is enough to get her emotional. That just shows that she's a kind person at heart. It's different from Shinji because Shinji is thinking only of his own personal issues. He's more concerned about his own well-being rather than others, which appropriately makes him a rather selfish person. Each character works well for the kind of show they're in.
Jun 28, 2015 11:29 AM
Jun 2015
KiraMustDie said:
You're absolutely right! I mean, what kind of 14 year old girl who has lived a normal life cries when she witnesses a friend get her head bitten off, or when another friend is suffering from depression that could very well kill her. She should just brush it off like it were nothing, because it's the natural thing to do, right? Why can't she act like the heroine in Amnesia and just act passive to all situations with no reaction.

The thing about Madoka is that she's not afraid to admit her flaws, but she still tries to overcome them despite not having the utmost confidence in herself. She still tries to help her friends to the best of her abilities and support them, even when the odds turn against her, because deep down she still has hope, and throughout the series she never loses that, which honestly makes her the strongest character in the show.

She cries because she's a very loving person who doesn't want to see people suffer or get hurt. Just thinking about what the people around her has to go through and constantly feeling powerless is enough to get her emotional. That just shows that she's a kind person at heart. It's different from Shinji because Shinji is thinking only of his own personal issues. He's more concerned about his own well-being rather than others, which appropriately makes him a rather selfish person. Each character works well for the kind of show they're in.

Lmao literally everyone who actually uses that argument, and uses that "she had a normal life and it was turned around and she saw awful things". Is everyone forgetting that all Madoka did was butt in? I mean fuck, one of her very first things she thought of was her COSTUME and wanted to be cute and stupid shit. At the beginning she just constantly went on about how "cool" Mami is to her and she was like "I wish I could be cool and great like that cause I'm not good at anything". She was just in for it for the concept of being a magic girl and for the appearance and acceptance and just so her pathetic cry baby self could feel like something, but even then she was just used for energy for Kyubey. She had nothing special about her but her amount of energy when she exploded for Kyubey. I guess everyone seems to forget that. She CHOSE to go along with Mami and her friends and Kyubey and CHOSE to selfishly abandon her normal life and family that loved her so much, just so she could be a "cool magic girl". Even Sayaka had more power and strength and determination to make a difference and actually did with no superb ability in comparison to others. Madoka really was just a whiny, pathetic, useless background bitch that just wanted to copy everyone cause she was useless and then did nothing to help anyone except make a wish very last minute. She always put off her wish to Kyubey but still remained to just go on and on about how "amazing it would be" but then when she "didn't want to and/or wasn't sure anymore" is when Sayaka actually needed her and Madoka selfishly just complained how she can't do anything to help and how she never does anything useful for anyone instead of actually helping which, YES SHE COULD. She pretty much killed Sayaka and let her get weak and helpless and just stood in the background whining. Sayaka made a good point saying "don't act like you care when you chose to do nothing to help" when apparently Kyubey says Madoka has "greatest pontentional out of all the girls", which we now know was his code phrasing of trying to say "when she explodes into a witch she will produce the biggest amount of energy I can bring back to my planet", which again proves she's useless in the end.
Jun 28, 2015 11:55 AM

Apr 2014
It's not true she didn't do anything to help Sayaka. Twice she tried to become a magical girl to save her - in episodes 5 and 8 - and both times she was prevented by Homura. In the end of course she *did* save Sayaka by creating a world where she didn't have to become a witch.

It's true she likes the idea of being cool, and maybe sees being a magical girl as a short-cut to that, but what makes being an MG cool in her eyes isn't just the costumes, it's the fact that she would be able to be of use to people, which at the start she doesn't think she is or can be. Her voice over at the end of Ep 2 makes it clear that both those aspects - helping people and looking great while doing it - are linked in her mind. It's naive, maybe, but no worse than anyone who's dreamed of being a superhero.

(Also, of course, Jesus wept, and Madoka=Jesus.)
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
Jun 28, 2015 11:28 PM

Mar 2015
Cool hate.

People don't seem to give Madoka enough credit, possibly because she plays the most feminine role in the show, she does however show on multiple occasions that she has the strongest will of the entire cast when the push comes to shove.

Take for example her following the bewitched Hitomi into an abandoned factory despite having no powers and proceeding to save dozens of people instead of trying to run, continuing to fight Walpurgis despite knowing she will die, taking out Mami after she snapped and even on the verge of death she still thinks to protect the world.

Mami, Homura, Kyouko, they've all said it before, becoming a mahou shoujo is not something you just jump into, each had their own circumstances and reasons for becoming one. Homura was purposefully trying to set things up such that Madoka would not have to be pushed into making a contract and outright stopped her from making one. Imo, Madoka, despite being naive, was the most rational of the cast.

Loli-Sazanami said:
The real answer is ''No''.

http://i.imgur.com/Sn5CJAg.jpg

This.
MelonMilkJun 29, 2015 3:33 AM
Jun 29, 2015 11:32 AM

Jan 2013
I think everyone should read this: https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Talk:Philosophical_Observations

A really good analyses of Madoka's behaviour in my opinion.
Jul 10, 2015 4:34 AM

Apr 2008
People don't seem to give Madoka enough credit, possibly because she plays the most feminine role in the show, she does however show on multiple occasions that she has the strongest will of the entire cast when the push comes to shove.

No, it is not it. She plays the role of a passive and dumb girl that gets no development whatsoever.

Take for example her following the bewitched Hitomi into an abandoned factory

This was an extremely dumb and reckless thing to do. The moment she saw Hitomi, she should immediately go to look for Homura, who she knew, has the power to deal with witches. Fortunately for Madoka, Sayaka came just in time to save her butt.

Madoka, despite being naive, was the most rational of the cast.

She was not rational at all. When she tried to do something, it was impulsive and thoughtless. If she learnt that acting like that is not making the situation better and started to think, gather information and analyze the situation to come up with a plan. That would be development. But since she only does something useful after having all the essential information thrown right into her face, after being saved from consequences of her dumb actions by others and after being stopped from making not well thought-out decisions like becoming a magical girl, Madoka’s final decision cannot be called development. It is not like she didn’t want to help other people at the beginning, she wanted, so it is not like she changes her behaviour or attitude. Her problem was that she was thoughtless and uninformed, thus she could not do anything useful. If she realized that this is her problem, that would be development.

There is no difference between Madoka at the beginning and Madoka at the end. Both wanted to save others. The only difference is that Madoka at the end knows what is going around her thanks to luck and the efforts of others, thus, for once in her life, she is able to make an informed decision instead of a thoughtless one.
Lain666Jul 10, 2015 4:41 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jul 10, 2015 5:44 AM

Apr 2014
Lain666 said:
Take for example her following the bewitched Hitomi into an abandoned factory

This was an extremely dumb and reckless thing to do. The moment she saw Hitomi, she should immediately go to look for Homura, who she knew, has the power to deal with witches. Fortunately for Madoka, Sayaka came just in time to save her butt.

If you'd said she should have asked Homura for her number and address earlier I might have agreed, though since she's in shock from seeing her senpai's head ripped off it's not surprising she didn't have the presence of mind - and at that point she believes that her part in the world of MGs is over anyway. But when she sees Hitomi a) she doesn't know where to find Homura - she could be anywhere in the city, and b) by the time she got Homura there, Hitomi would have gone.

I don't know how you can call Madoka both passive and reckless - it seems like a contradiction. And she actually gets a lot of development, from the confident girl we see in timeline 1 to the hesitant girl with low self-worth we see in the first episode. I've always thought the implication is that as Homura becomes more and more protective of her, robbing her of freedom of action, Madoka's self-belief drains away. Her willingness to sacrifice herself, which in timeline 1 was taken with confidence and a sense of vocation, becomes by the main timeline a sign of the lack of value she places on her own life - another unintended 'side-effect' of Homura's magic.

But I think Kyubey's little lectures on Madoka's potential, entropy and the history of magical girls have their own unintended side effect. While his intent was no doubt to nudge her towards despair, his lack of empathy means that he miscalculated. What he tells her offers an opportunity for her to make a meaningful sacrifice - based neither on self-abnegation nor on misplaced idealism. "If you ever feel like dying for the sake of the universe, call me," is one of the show's most bleakly funny lines, because who would do that? But the irony is that Madoka does do just that - on her terms.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
Jul 10, 2015 6:51 AM

Mar 2015
Lain666 said:

I don't see how running about, hoping to randomly bump into Homura, would have been a good idea when she had absolutely no idea where Homura was, not to mention that she would lose track of Hitomi as well. The only thing I can agree with, is that it was reckless. That's just how Madoka is, when she sees someone in trouble she can't turn away, she certainly wasn't going to walk away and let her friend die.

In fact, this is an example of how Madoka played an active role, putting herself in danger to save Hitomi, even when she knew she would be utterly helpless against a witch. She certainly couldn't fight a witch, but her actions in the factory saved the lives of everyone there.

Lain666 said:

She was not rational at all. When she tried to do something, it was impulsive and thoughtless.

Could you give some specific examples of why you feel this way? Because I thought she was quite level-headed. An example being how she tried to talk Sayaka out of picking a fight with Kyouko, suggesting that they would be able to make some compromise despite their ideological differences. When that failed, she forcefully stopped Sayaka from fighting, knowing Sayaka would only be throwing herself in harm's way.
MelonMilkJul 10, 2015 6:57 AM
Jul 10, 2015 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
I don't know how you can call Madoka both passive and reckless - it seems like a contradiction.

I meant by it that she never does anything useful, but if doing whatever counts than I agree that she wasn’t passive.

I don't know how you can call Madoka both passive and reckless - it seems like a contradiction. And she actually gets a lot of development, from the confident girl we see in timeline 1 to the hesitant girl with low self-worth we see in the first episode. I've always thought the implication is that as Homura becomes more and more protective of her, robbing her of freedom of action, Madoka's self-belief drains away. Her willingness to sacrifice herself, which in timeline 1 was taken with confidence and a sense of vocation, becomes by the main timeline a sign of the lack of value she places on her own life - another unintended 'side-effect' of Homura's magic.

I would accept this explanation if in the first episode Homura was not just introduced to Madoka. Madoka could not acquire self-worth issues that quickly and it looks like she had them before she met Homura.

I don't see how running about, hoping to randomly bump into Homura, would have been a good idea when she had absolutely no idea where Homura was, not to mention that she would lose track of Hitomi as well.

For example: couldn’t she call the classmates to whom she had phone numbers to ask them whether they have Homur’s number? Couldn’t she call Sayaka and ask her if by any chance she saw Homura? I suppose Sayaka would not have Homur’s number, but still, asking Sayaka to find Homura or for any sensible help would be better than just following Hitomi.
Lain666Jul 10, 2015 1:47 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jul 10, 2015 4:24 PM

Mar 2015
Lain666 said:

never does anything useful

But a lot of examples have been given to the contrary in this thread.

Lain666 said:

I would accept this explanation if in the first episode Homura was not just introduced to Madoka. Madoka could not acquire self-worth issues that quickly and it looks like she had them before she met Homura.

Yes, she had those problems before she met Homura, becoming a Mahou Shoujo and being able to make a difference gave her the confidence she lacked. Just that now, Homura is trying to prevent her from making that step, which explains the difference we see between the current Madoka and her from previous timelines.

Lain666 said:

For example: couldn’t she call the classmates to whom she had phone numbers to ask them whether they have Homur’s number? Couldn’t she call Sayaka and ask her if by any chance she saw Homura? I suppose Sayaka would not have Homur’s number, but still, asking Sayaka to find Homura or for any sensible help would be better than just following Hitomi.

Calling Sayaka to find Homura would be grasping at straws, not to mention there's a time limit here, they were walking towards the factory. Sure, she could have tried calling her classmates, but I don't think it was unnatural that she didn't in given context, not that it would produce any results given what we know.
Jul 14, 2015 10:47 AM
Jan 2015
she's like 12 and all her friends are being grotesquely killed or having their lives ruined. I would be bawling my eyes off lmao.
Jul 18, 2015 7:41 AM

Apr 2008
MelonMilk said:

But a lot of examples have been given to the contrary in this thread.

No, we interpreter differently. You seem to be fine with the fact that she followed Hitomi while I consider following her reckless and thoughtless, since there was nothing Madoka could do against witches and she could not know that Sayaka will come as a magical girl to save her. Even when Madoka manages to do something that can be considered useful, it looks like she simply has more luck than sense. As for the moment when Madoka forcefully tries to stop Sayaka from fighting. If I remember correctly, because her mother advised her to do something wrong if doing something right doesn’t work. This for me was another example of Madoka’s thoughtlessness. She unquestioningly takes this poor advice and never considers how exactly doing something wrong will improve the situation. Luckily, this time Homura was there to save her from consequences of her thoughtless action.

MelonMilk said:

Yes, she had those problems before she met Homura, becoming a Mahou Shoujo and being able to make a difference gave her the confidence she lacked.

It would be a very quick and easy solution.

MelonMilk said:

Calling Sayaka to find Homura would be grasping at straws, not to mention there's a time limit here, they were walking towards the factory. Sure, she could have tried calling her classmates, but I don't think it was unnatural that she didn't in given context, not that it would produce any results given what we know.

I don't know why it would be unnatural, I think it would be the most obvious and natural thing to do. When you don’t know something, you need to look for it and she wouldn't know whether it would produce any results unless she tried.
Jul 18, 2015 8:31 AM

Mar 2015
Lain666 said:

No, we interpreter differently. You seem to be fine with the fact that she followed Hitomi while I consider following her reckless and thoughtless, since there was nothing Madoka could do against witches and she could not know that Sayaka will come as a magical girl to save her.

I actually agreed that it was reckless, if you look through my previous comment, but sometimes recklessness and bravery are a thin line apart. Madoka is fully aware she is helpless against witches, she acknowledges this fact but is unable to turn away from someone in trouble. In this aspect, I consider it an act of bravery.

Lain666 said:
Even when Madoka manages to do something that can be considered useful, it looks like she simply has more luck than sense.

As for the point of luck, there's always risks, but the logical outcome if she hadn't followed, would be that Hitomi would have died. She simply took that risk, and it paid off.

Lain666 said:
As for the moment when Madoka forcefully tries to stop Sayaka from fighting. If I remember correctly, because her mother advised her to do something wrong if doing something right doesn’t work. This for me was another example of Madoka’s thoughtlessness. She unquestioningly takes this poor advice and never considers how exactly doing something wrong will improve the situation.

I thought this was perfectly rational, in their prior meeting with Kyouko, Sayaka was nearly killed and it was clearly a one-sided fight to boot. Even going back to Madoka's conversation about trying to work things out with Kyouko, she seems to want Sayaka to drop witch hunting to prevent another confrontation. Where the only foreseeable outcome is Sayaka's defeat, and at worst death, Madoka made the best decision out of what she knew.

Lain666 said:
It would be a very quick and easy solution.

Sorry, I don't catch your drift here.

Lain666 said:
I don't know why it would be unnatural, I think it would be the most obvious and natural thing to do. When you don’t know something, you need to look for it and she wouldn't know whether it would produce any results unless she tried.
I'm not saying it would be unnatural though, just saying there's nothing wrong that she didn't either, considering she was almost at the factory.
Jul 18, 2015 10:39 AM
Sep 2011
I get what the show was trying to do. I understand that the show is about her path to becoming a magical girl and her deciding on a wish. I get that the magical girl system is so awful that she should NOT make a wish.

But then, where does that leave her as the protagonist of our story? She doesn't have much choice other than to cry. She's not able to grow as a character and is just forced to watch her friends suffer and die.

As early as episode 5 she was shown to be willing to put her life on the line to help others. She's insecure and self-sacrificing. That much was established early on. But by the 9th episode she hasn't really changed at all, and she hasn't had a very active role in the show. Sure she saved Hitomi and the suicide pact but everyone else was moving the show. It makes her role in the last two episodes seem jarring, how her previous timidness is completely shed and she's read to ORDER Kyubey to grant her wish with such boldness.

Most of the people who get upset with criticism of Madoka's character are the ones who have already finished the show and know WHY she has to be in this position. The comments on the earlier episodes tell that people who didn't know how deep the rabbit hole got were wanting to know when she'd become meguca (especially the show intentionally mislead the viewers on this), and became agitated when she spent most of the show just crying.

I can respect that she's considered a realistic protagonist as much as the likes of Shinji Ikari, but when you're watching anime to be entertained, and to see characters grow and develop, a protagonist who spends the majority of the show in the same place, ineffectual and crying, is going to be kind of annoying.
Aug 15, 2016 9:26 PM
Aug 2016
Yeah seriously it's annoying!
Nov 16, 2016 12:05 PM

Nov 2016
She is my favourite character in Madoka Magica but I do see your point about her crying alot. However I think she also has a lot of good points too like being the most rational one in the group and the one that wiped the threat of witches at the very end.
Nov 28, 2016 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Of course she is crying. Just look at her personality. Done? Now look at what's happening around her. OK? Do you understand now why she cries? Good.
Nov 28, 2016 12:18 PM

Jun 2016
I'd say that's just her character, shes too fragile.
Nov 29, 2016 12:13 PM

Mar 2014
nah i think u people overthinking things...With the events happening not everyone can man it out Especially Madoka, young girl its too much for the heart thus the crying is a lot.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jan 11, 2017 8:29 AM
Jan 2017
She's a middle-class junior highschool student who had seen people being beheaded and eaten by giant monsters, and her best friend becoming firstly crazy, then an another monster herself. And also, she considered herself even before the beginning of the series as a useless person.
Too many people are accostumed to main characters like Goku and Naruto, she's just a realistic girl who only in the end of the series became mature, and THEN the classic majokko's heroine.
Dec 29, 2017 5:34 PM
Dec 2017
That’s one of the reasons I hate her (though Madoka Magica is my favorite anime). It’s so annoying. But she’s also useless, and made Homura and her friends suffer a lot for that reason.
Dec 29, 2017 5:39 PM

Apr 2014
ye i was annoyed when i was watching it too. im generally annoyed by crybaby characters
Aug 12, 2018 7:17 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
Tachikoma1701 said:

Didn't even imply this.

I'm sorry to say that tsudecimo, I think you didn't pay enough attention of what Madoka is why she did not want to make a wish. My personal opinion I think Madoka crying in episode 5 (the 1st time) is annoying. Because Homura make her cry. The reason you think Madoka is annoying because she wants everyone to be herself. The show is totally different from Naruto Franchise (Naruto and Naruto Shippuden) contains 720 (=220+500) episodes. Madoka Magica is a sad / melancholy anime has no hilarious nor funny moments, it takes place on 16 March (Wed) to 1 May (Sun), which is only 1 month and a half.

What is character development is as follows:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDevelopment

An article about crying
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crying
I strongly think you should read the 'Frequency of crying' tsudecimo. I respect your opinion but sadly I have to tell you, you are wrong.

I personally think Madoka Kaname is changeable. In episode 1 of Madoka Magica, Homura Akemi knows Madoka is the class health officer. This shows Madoka has caring personality. In episode 2, she thinks she is comfortable and wants to become a magical girl. Mami Tomoe is actually a 'teacher' role and Madoka Kaname and Sayaka Miki are actually a 'student' role. But in episode 3, after Mami Tomoe is murdered by witch Charlotte, Madoka learns magical girls will die during battle with witches. This change Madoka from a cheerful girl to a crybaby. In episode 4, Madoka is trapped inside witch H.N. Elly barrier. It is shown Madoka is also insecure. In episode 5, Madoka accompany with Sayaka for the latter one 1st witch hunt. Sayaka has changed from 'student' role to 'teacher' role. Madoka still become the 'student' role. In episode 7, Madoka continue to go to witch hunt with Sayaka (who is in 'berserk' mode). In episode 9, Madoka goes to a witch hunt with Kyoko Sakura in order to save Sayaka (who is now Oktavia von Seckendorff). Mami hunt witch Izabel, Mami appreciates Madoka's skills has improve. In timeline 2 of episode 10, Madoka's magical potential has increased and Madoka also accompany with Mami and Homura to hunt witch Patricia. And the 3 defeated it. In timeline 4 in episode 10, Madoka is truly the one who is the strongest magical girl to destroy Walpurgisnacht in 1 hit as well as the strongest witch which can capable to destroy the planet 10 days. Homura resets the time for the 4th time. In episode 12, Madoka goes to Mami's house and learns about the wish (erasing all witches) to listen about the wish Mami explains. Kyoko encourage Madoka to do it. So Madoka transform to a magical girl to destroy the Walpurgisnacht in 1 hit. Madoka change from a 'student' role to the 'leading' role. Then Madoka takes all the cures, suffering, despair etc. from all the magical girls under Kyubey's system of 'ultimate despair' forcing into the giant soul gem and take it to the space. Madoka transforms to goddess to destroy her witch form Kriemhild Gretchen. Madoka does not cry in episode 12.

Let me clarify this, Madoka Kaname only cries in the end episode 3 towards the end of episode 11 in the TV series or the 2 Recap movies. But Madoka did not cry in the Madoka Magica 'Rebellion' movie. Madoka's character development is using an observer's attitude, consumers' behavior or even learning from lesson from episode 1 to 9 and 11. She developed between smiling and crying. She also faced a lot of consequences of every girls becoming magical girls. She learned that magical girls will lose their lives in action (As hinted in episode 3 and 9). She also learned about the mistakes of throwing Sayaka's soul gem because she took the advice from her mother Junko Kaname (hinted in episode 6). She also learned Sayaka was lying after becoming a magical girl (As hinted in episode 7). She attempted to make a wish to save and help Sayaka in episode 5 and 8 but sadly both times were stopped by Homura Akemi. She decided to find Sayaka by herself. The history lesson Kyubey gives to Madoka in episode 11 is about incubators relates to the young girls and killing an animal (cows, pigs, birds, cattle and chickens etc.) for meat. The young girls makes a wish with Incubators begins in hope and ends in a curse or even despair. Human keeps the animals for food is just like Kyubey keeps the magical girls. Once the humans select an animal for food. They eat the meat for the victim animals and leave the bones. Then they throw away the bones of the animal.

One of the examples is the finning of the sharks.
Over 73 Million Sharks Killed Every Year for Fins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO7hvOtYnck&t=9s

I can show you a video of Powerpuff girls of a character named Bubbles cry in an episode named 'All Chalked Up' as follows: You will know why Bubbles is crying so hard.
The Powerpuff Girls S04E02 - All Chalked Up (Full Episode) Part 2/7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pWJfvMt7E&t=1s

Kyubey's evil theory is as follows:
1. Grant wishes and create magical girls
2. Wait for these magical girls to turn into witches / Once the girls failed to clean her soul gems and turn to witches
3. Create more magical girls to fight the witches
4. Collect the negative energy the new magical girls have found and generated.
5. Repeat process
6. ???
7. Profit

Madoka thinks the killing an animal for meat it just like Kyubey and his magical girls under his system. Kyubey uses the magical girls and turn to witches to collect vast amount of energy. It just like you buy new products to replace the old or obsolete products. Magical girls under Kyubey's system of despair just like animals and witches just like the old or obsolete products. Humans or animal killer resembles to Kyubey or incubators. Magical girls and animals resembles to new products or the products you just brought. Witches and the victim animal resembles to the old or obsolete products you have just thrown. Meat resembles to the negative energy of the new magical girls have found and generated. This is exactly Madoka thought in episode 11. Madoka also thought magical girls just like the product to consume.

If Madoka did not go to the storm to save Homura Akemi during her battle against Walpurgisnacht, Homura would lose hope, died and transformed to a witch. Madoka has to take this action even it will hurt her family. The people who live in Mitakihara City will be at grave danger.

I can give you this meaningful video for you to watch as follows:
Madoka Kaname is not all useless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMA0IoEjvgE&t=2s

I want to give you a video of How Puella Magi Madoka★Magica Grows Its Characters in the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4hsqYNIBg

Both Madoka Kaname and Shinji Ikari have their good points.

In my opinion, there are some anime characters (no matter is a male or female) cry or whine less than Madoka and Shinji are even far worse. Like Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière from The Familiar of Zero, Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Precia Testarossa from Magica Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Jail Scaglietti from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, Gendo Ikari and Keel Lorenz from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tomoo from Elfen Lied, Kyubey from Madoka Magica etc.
3ASV226Feb 7, 2022 6:18 AM
Aug 12, 2018 7:19 AM
Aug 2018
CARR74 said:
That’s one of the reasons I hate her (though Madoka Magica is my favorite anime). It’s so annoying. But she’s also useless, and made Homura and her friends suffer a lot for that reason.

If you think Madoka Kaname is useless, I think you should definitely watch this meaningful video as follows:

Madoka Kaname is not all useless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMA0IoEjvgE&t=1s
3ASV226Sep 24, 2018 9:59 AM
Aug 12, 2018 7:26 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
Nobody said Madoka and Shinji were fundamentally similar or close to that. I just mentioned Shinji because he cries and whines a lot and is considered annoying by the majority of people, yet I found Madoka even more annoying and hard to sympathize with.

I honestly don't know if I should praise both of their voice actors or not because they effectively made them 10x times more annoying, weak willed, pathetic and easy to hate.

daedroth4 said:

and I'd say she possesses some of the most admirable traits in the genre.

Like what? if it's the cheesy love and helping others thing then never mind.

I think you never heard about crybaby heroes and never have faced something or someone you (and your favorite characters) loves or admires annihilated or died before your eyes, tsudecimo. Most of the Madoka crying is exactly like that. Some of her crying is someone make her cry. They are Homura (in episode 5 and 6), Sayaka (in episode 6 and 8), Kyubey (in episode 9 and 11). Shinji also had someone died in front of his eyes too. Shinji also suffers a lot because he has suffered the death of her mother Yui Ikari when he is 3 years old. To matter worse, he is abandoned by his father Gendo Ikari when he is 3 to 4 years old and send to Shinji's sensei.

The 7 biggest crybaby heroes are as follows: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2013-04-27

I can show you a video of Powerpuff girls of a character named Bubbles cry in an episode named 'All Chalked Up' as follows: You will know why Bubbles is crying so hard.
The Powerpuff Girls S04E02 - All Chalked Up (Full Episode) Part 2/7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pWJfvMt7E&t=1s
3ASV226Nov 9, 2019 5:11 AM
Aug 12, 2018 7:30 AM
Aug 2018
tsudecimo said:
ihateeveryone said:

I'm sorry to say that. But I have so many questions to ask to you.

1. Did you ever cry before?
2. Did you cry when watching an anime before? (You loved Naruto Franchise and Bakemonogatari, isn't it?)
3. Did you face or suffer something / someone annihilated or died before or right in front of your eyes before?
4. Did you learn the behavior of an anime character who suffers Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
5. Did you see someone losing one of his / her friends or family members before?
6. Did you think yourself is truly Madoka Kaname in Madoka Magica or Shinji Ikari in Neon Genesis Evangelion? / Are you thinking you are in the Madoka Kaname's position / situation in Madoka Magica or Shinji Ikari's position / situation in Neon Genesis Evangelion?
7. Did you pay any attention when watching the series at all?

I want to give you a video of How Puella Magi Madoka★Magica Grows Its Characters in the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4hsqYNIBg

I strongly think you (I mean tsudecimo) have to watch Madoka Magica again. Make sure you are in her (I mean Madoka Kaname) situation or position (Make sure you are in Madoka's shoes). Same thing/circumstances also suitable on Neon Genesis Evangelion. I strongly think you should watch again. Make sure you are in his (I mean Shinji Ikari) situation or position. (Make sure you are in Shinji's shoes)
3ASV226Nov 16, 2021 1:55 AM
Aug 12, 2018 5:45 PM
Aug 2018
@tsudecimo If you think Madoka Kaname and Shinji Ikari are whiny and their crying are nothing but annoying, how about Usagi Tsukino in Sailor Moon Series, Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière in The Familiar of Zero, Yukiteru Amano in Mirai Nikki (In English: Future Diary) etc. Or even Yamcha from Dragon Ball Z. You have posted Yamcha is one of the most useless anime characters remember.

One more thing, I just learn about you have just completed Angel Beats! and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. How about you are facing the scenario in Yuri Nakahama (younger version) she lost all 3 of her siblings in 30 minutes while you are watching Angel Beats. Or in Mirai Onozawa situation, seeing her younger brother Yuuki Onozawa died in a hospital right in front of your eyes in episode 8 during you are watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Or even you are truly in Juri Katou situation when watching episode 34 of Digimon Tamers, what do you react when your partner Leomon is murdered by Beelzemon right in front of your eyes?
3ASV226Nov 12, 2021 3:19 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1542 by Ryoketsu »»
Yesterday, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.