Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 19, 2013 2:01 AM

Sep 2013
Veronin said:
Go watch Touch. Then Cross Game. Then read H2.

why in that order?
Nov 19, 2013 2:15 AM
Oct 2013
Sports is usually my favorite genre, mainly because it's always been huge in my life I guess. That and SOL for me.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Nov 19, 2013 2:32 AM

Jun 2007
Eyeshield 21 it was probably one of my first animes that i started watching... First sports anime and i loved it
Live your life of freedom
Live it to the fullist~
Nov 19, 2013 2:35 AM

Sep 2013
im probably going to start one outs and see how it goes
Nov 19, 2013 2:39 AM

Oct 2013
eyeshield 21 was the first sports anime i watched and i enjoyed it, now i try to include one sports anime withing every 15 or so anime i watch.

but my biggest annoyance with sports anime is why they always feel the need to include some tragic element usually a family member and/ or close friend getting killed, it really seems stupid to me when they add that to try and use some inflated drama, but i feel the sports aspects should be it
Nov 19, 2013 3:00 AM

May 2013
We all secretly want to be talented god-like basketball players (coughkurokonobasketcough)

Yep sad truth.
The more you know ^.^
Nov 19, 2013 5:23 AM

May 2013
Good anime are good. Enough said.
Nov 19, 2013 11:59 AM
May 2007
Well, I love Hajime no Ippo because I like how technical it gets into the boxing and Ippo is based on one of my favorite boxers, Mike Tyson. It is about hard work, dedication, and following your passion.

With Ashita no Joe, you can say it was doing what Rocky was doing long before Rocky. It was a social commentary of Japan during its time of publication. It shows what Japan was like between World War II and before their economy took the world by storm.

Ringu ni Kakero is simply the father of the Shounen genre. Without it, there would be no Dragon Ball Z, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Naruto or there would be no Shounen Jump all together. This was the title that put Shounen Jump on the map in Japan. Just watch this if you like Saint Seiya or Kurumada Masami in general.

Slam Dunk is another fun anime for me. It captures the intensity of the NBA of the 1990s but it also tells a great story about team work and friendship. I was really touched with how much Sakuragi's friends cared about him and how far they went to support him. Plus, the art in the original manga is just incredible and I can't even copy it no matter how hard I try.

Initial D is mostly fun for me because I was a fan of Eurobeat for all my life and the soundtrack is enough to sell me on that.

I also love some other old school sports titles like Ganbare Genki, Ace wo Nerae and Attack No 1. They are just fun for me.

As for Prince of Tennis, I prefer the manga since it doesn't exaggarate the capabilities of tennis. Even Konomi-sensei, the original manga-ka didn't like how far the anime went, but the Japanese voice cast is perfect and the soundtrack is beautiful and addictive.

I am mostly a sports fan in real life but I like watching sports anime because it shows what goes on behind the scenes and it really teaches you about life in general.
Nov 19, 2013 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
The reasons why I personally like them:

- Characters esp. very good looking ones. Males (sometimes females) that have fantastic voice actors, as well as a quirky personality. In fact, even the opponent characters are likable as well as side characters that barely get 5 minutes of screentime could be your next fave. See Kuroko no Basuke and Free!

- Excitement and suspense. Much more exciting than action because of the understandable tactics and strategies. See One Outs and Eyeshield 21.

- Teamwork. You can see the relationships between several characters and how they strive for their dreams together. See Ookiku Furikabutte and Chihayafuru. These two are the most emotional ones as well. ;_;

- Get educated. I like learning things through enjoyment instead of reading sport instructions online, so watching an anime with a sport you've never played before is thrilling. See Eyeshield 21.

ona said:
zellami said:
[I am still waiting to see a good soccer anime, although I liked very much Ginga e Kickoff!!]

Giant Killing, my friend. Giant Killing.

Definitely that. I also enjoyed Area no Kishi, even if it was kind of unrealistic at times. But if you like soccer, it'll be good.

Yeah, how could I forget Giant Killing! It's about time to kick myself in the butt and start reading the manga!
Nov 19, 2013 1:54 PM

Jan 2012
started watching kuroko no basket, ended up getting tied up with work so just deleted it and its sat on my external HDD i actually did enjoy it, and as i play basketball/ watch it does have a nice balance, and even tactics and stuff! its so weird i play a lot of different sports yet sports anime just don't grab me at all, i think im scared that they won't cover it correctly or it will say its about basketball or football for example but really just be a romance/slice of life anime with like an episode or two where sports is involved!
Nov 19, 2013 2:18 PM

Apr 2009
I love Slam Dunk and Kuroko no Basket.

The characters are really likeable, and I especially love Slam Dunk's, while KnB has some really awesome games.

I've read another sports manga by Inoue(Author of Slam Dunk), REAL. It's about wheelchair Basketball players overcoming their handicaps for a better life. I love Inoue :).
Nov 19, 2013 2:48 PM

Mar 2013
Before i watched Major i thought sports anime were just as boring as real sports so i never gave them a try. Major just got me hooked to sports anime.
Baka
Nov 19, 2013 3:26 PM

Mar 2013
I really dont like sportanime that much, but Hajime no Ippo is pretty entertaining and the biking movie Nasu from madhouse is pretty good as well.
Nov 19, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2013
I watched Suzuka at one point of time since I enjoyed romance, but after that, I only watched Hajime no Ippo. I actually enjoyed an Shounen anime in which there wouldn't be any super powers. Pure fight, training, yea, here and there we have over exaggerations, but it was great nevertheless...
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Nov 19, 2013 3:50 PM

Nov 2010
Kruszer said:
Just wondering: Which ones have you seen?

Initial D franchise (auto racing)
Bamboo Blade (Kendo)
Redline (racing)
Suzuka (Track and field)

On my Radar:
Hikaru no Go (Rented the first disc long ago but never got a chance to see the rest)
Over Drive
For sports about half of those aren't the best to showcase it. Bamboo Blade is mostly comedy and has very little focus on the actual matches(disappointingly little IIRC). Suzuka from what I remember was mostly a romance drama and had maybe a couple of races.

I would recommend some of the highest rated ones on the site if you really want to see if you like them. Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket, Chihayafuru, Major, Cross Game, etc. Or maybe just pick a sport you're interested in, they've got a large amount. Overdrive is very good too, though it's short. I remember you liking seinen anime more than the other demographics, you've already tried and liked Initial D, try Giant Killing, One Outs, and possibly Ganbarist! Shun.

OT:
Synatra said:
I really don't see myself watching them,
is there more to them?
Is there more to them than what? You have to give me something to go off from.

Synatra said:
Do you have to like sports to watch it?
No, many people who like sports anime don't like sports in real life. It's like I see you have a K-ON avatar, why do you watch that when you can just go out and drink tea yourself? It's quite simple, it's because anime changes it and makes it more enjoyable, you enjoy watching the characters and their interactions, etc related to that genre. It's the same with sports anime. You just have to find the right ones to watch first to get your attention in the genre.

Synatra said:
im probably going to start one outs and see how it goes
One Outs is more of a psychological anime like Death Note that uses baseball as it's medium, where the main character is smart and always seems to have the upper hand. Remember that, most sports anime aren't like that. They're usually zero to hero anime, start out with little to no experience, train, gain rivals, have hard battles, etc.
IntroverTurtleNov 19, 2013 3:54 PM
Nov 19, 2013 4:18 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
I would recommend some of the highest rated ones on the site if you really want to see if you like them. Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket, Chihayafuru, Major, Cross Game, etc. Or maybe just pick a sport you're interested in, they've got a large amount. Overdrive is very good too, though it's short. I remember you liking seinen anime more than the other demographics, you've already tried and liked Initial D, try Giant Killing, One Outs, and possibly Ganbarist! Shun.

^ I agree.

Also, the new ones airing like Dia no Ace and Yowamushi Pedal are great to start on as well.
Nov 19, 2013 5:15 PM
Aug 2012
I see a lot of recommendations for One Outs in here. What did you all like about it? I can see people liking the MC and the actual one outs game was some good back yard fun but past that I don't see it. Once he's on the pro team it gets slow and unoriginal.
Nov 19, 2013 6:53 PM
Jan 2013
I hate basketball but enjoyed Ro-Kyu-bu because of the lolis. lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2013 10:42 PM

Apr 2013
Slam Dunk forever
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Nov 19, 2013 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
For sports about half of those aren't the best to showcase it. Bamboo Blade is mostly comedy and has very little focus on the actual matches(disappointingly little IIRC). Suzuka from what I remember was mostly a romance drama and had maybe a couple of races.

Yeah, I might but I like others genres far more like science fiction, action, mystery, supernatural, mecha, and romance and make those priorities. I'd rather spend my time watching those. Then when I'm in a lull for one of those I watch something different from another genre I watch more rarely usually a comedy for slice of life. Sports anime would fall in that category.
KruszerNov 19, 2013 11:28 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 20, 2013 12:02 AM

Nov 2010
Kruszer said:
Yeah, I might but I like others genres far more like science fiction, action, mystery, supernatural, mecha, and romance and make those priorities. I'd rather spend my time watching those. Then when I'm in a lull for one of those I watch something different from another genre I watch more rarely usually a comedy for slice of life. Sports anime would fall in that category.
Then this is quite easy. I can knock a couple of those off right now. Unless you're talking about guns and such Hajime no Ippo which is a boxing anime could be seen as an action anime more than most sports anime and even most action anime. Since it's hand to hand, there's blood, many fights, etc(it can even be seen as a little bit romance). There's also a mecha sports anime, basketball to be exact, and it's called Basquash. Which is also very sci-fi ish and has some mystery. And then finally Cross Game which I thought had the perfect balance between romance/drama and sports.

Anyways even if you don't decide to watch these soon, I hope you'll remember them for the next time you're in a lull. Hajime no Ippo is hilarious btw.
Nov 20, 2013 12:30 AM

Dec 2012
There's no harm in putting them in my PTW list at any rate.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 20, 2013 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
You don't need to be a fan of the sport to enjoy the Anime. As they will explain what the rules and moves etc. to you.
So there.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Nov 21, 2013 12:34 AM

Sep 2013
Hulmy said:
I hate basketball but enjoyed Ro-Kyu-bu because of the lolis. lol

Lolis? Im there.
Nov 21, 2013 12:40 AM

Apr 2007
AkinoBlade said:
You don't need to be a fan of the sport to enjoy the Anime. As they will explain what the rules and moves etc. to you.
So there.

Rules... I'll admit it: I loved Eyeshield 21, but I still don't fully understand the rules of American football.
Nov 26, 2013 12:44 AM

Nov 2013
nah u dont have to like sports to like watching it... its just wat ppl prefer like some ppl prefer action and some prefer romance
its like that
Nov 26, 2013 1:22 AM

Aug 2011
Yes, I like to watch sports anime.
For me its all about seeing the character growth and progression that happens.
The teamwork, that might come with drama. I also might get a bit of insight on how sports work or get an understanding of it.

and depends on the direction of the manga/anime, I get to see some bad-assery. ;D

In the end ill be cheering for that person/team win.
Nov 26, 2013 1:25 AM

Jul 2013
They swell your heart up with joy about being a human being.
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Nov 26, 2013 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
Not a huge fan of sports anime however I do like Kuroko no basket and Prince of Tennis. Those are the exceptions though...
Work in progress...
Nov 27, 2013 5:12 AM

Dec 2009
Synatra said:
I really don't see myself watching them,
is there more to them?
What does everybody love about them so much?
Do you have to like sports to watch it?

I can say for certain that you don't have to like sport to be able to enjoy Sport anime.

For example, i never was into American football, or any sport for that matter, but i still enjoyed watching Eyeshield 21, and for some strange reason i noticed for myself that i almost got into the sport itself when watching it. It's the strange kind of magic that can only be called anime. :)

Even if you don't like the sport you can still enjoy the action, humor, drama, the characters, etc.

If would recommend Eyeshield 21 or Hajime no Ippo or Major if you want to try watching sports anime.
Dec 26, 2013 7:23 AM

Oct 2013
I dont really watch sports anime cause it tends to be exaggerated and the moves are always next to impossible. Although I did like watching Slam Dunk when I was a kid.
Dec 26, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
While I haven't seen the anime version of it, I'm a big fan of Ashita no Joe. The manga does a fantastic job on characterization of all the characters through minor details like their body language and facial expressions. It also has some great social commentary on Japan at that time and perfectly captures the psychological mindset of the characters before, during and after the boxing matches, the intense training and physical toll on their bodies and the rivalries, especially between Joe and Rikiishi. I consider their rivalry to be the manga's strongest point, it simply works so well considering the character dynamics between them and how much of an impact they have had on each other's lives. Joe's character development is absolutely fantastic from a dude who you would think would end up being some gang leader to someone who takes boxing as the center of his life. My friend informed me on the anime being directed by one of the founders of Madhouse and is said to be the debut of a variety of production techniques that become common for anime during the 80s and 90s. I'm not even a fan of boxing, it's just this franchise has had a major impact on me and I'm sure other sports anime might have a similar effect on their own respective fans.

That reminds me, I have to start Touch...
Dec 26, 2013 8:27 AM

Jun 2013
Hajime no Ippo wins hands down. At first I was kind of unsure should I watch it, but after first few episodes, I couldn't stop it. Third season is also great. I am looking forward to December 28th.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jan 7, 2014 12:33 PM
Aug 2010
Yowamushi Pedal
Jan 12, 2014 6:45 AM

May 2012
Basketball: Slam Dunk, Kuroko no Basuke
Basbeball: One Outs, Ookiku Furikabutte, Diamond no Ace, Cross Game, Major (Haven't watched the last 2 yet)
Tennis: Prince of Tennis
American Football: Eyeshield21
Boxing: Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe (haven't watched Ashita no Joe yet)
Cycling: Yowamushi Pedal
Swimming: Free!
Racing: Initial D
Jan 12, 2014 7:08 AM

Aug 2013
I'm a basketball fan. I liked Slam Dunk a lot though, strangely enough, I don't really care much for Kuroke no Basuke. Must be the superpowers. Which makes it weird since Saki (is it considered sports anime?), which I absolutely adore, is practically superpower mahjong.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 12, 2014 7:24 AM
Dec 2010
xchee said:
I'm a basketball fan. I liked Slam Dunk a lot though, strangely enough, I don't really care much for Kuroke no Basuke. Must be the superpowers. Which makes it weird since Saki (is it considered sports anime?), which I absolutely adore, is practically superpower mahjong.

How much of Kuroko did you watch? The first season doesn't become that amazing until about episode 10.
Jan 12, 2014 7:28 AM

Jan 2014
Sports Animes are good because most sports animes are about striving for a dream and goal to be a good player, which is what we at one point in our lives, have hoped ourselves for; therefore can relate to it. They mostly have a sense of teamwork and friendship.
Jan 12, 2014 7:43 AM

Apr 2010
Jan 12, 2014 12:13 PM

Jul 2012
sheidesu said:
Basbeball: One Outs, Ookiku Furikabutte, Diamond no Ace, Cross Game, Major (Haven't watched the last 2 yet)

Yo Major S5 is the best one. You have to watch it :P
Jan 12, 2014 12:15 PM
Dec 2013
I don't like watching sporty animes.
Jan 12, 2014 12:24 PM

Apr 2011
My favorite sports anime is Major! It really doesn't get enough love. It's just amazing, and I recommend it to all sports anime lovers, and shounen lovers, and maybe even slice of life lovers? It's just beyond great.

I've watched a good amount of sports anime even though I'm not a fan of sports, at all, lmao. One Outs and Prince of Tennis are pretty good (anime wise). I've seen most of Initial D, it's great but it's just not... amazing. Eyeshield 21 was pretty good too... but it's just not rewatchable :/

It took me awhile to get through Hajime no Ippo, the first season was so so, the manga's REALLY good though :D

There are some great sports manga though. Manga w/ sports + delinquents = awesome lmao

The cross game manga was pretty good, but not very memorable :/

I didn't like Chihayafuru

Oh! Another amazing amazing sports anime and manga is Hikaru No Go! Freaking awesome. Both Major and Hikaru No Go are just... so freaking great. I sincerely recommend them!

EDIT: (forgot a few):

I saw the first few episodes of Ookiku Furikabutte a while back and found it really boring. Main character lacked confidence? IDR. I don't like those types of chars.

I read most of the chapters of Diamond no Ace that were out when I was going through it... I dropped it cause I got REALLY tired of the characters, especially when the protagonist was similar to the protagonist of Major... only much less awesome lmao. I plan on trying the anime once it's done airing. (if it's already done, then ima prob try it once im done with slam dunk)

Currently watching Slam Dunk. I think I'm 49 episodes in? It's pretty good :) Not amazing, not I GOTTA WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE now worthy... but it's entertaining and fun :) Hanamichi is hilarious sometimes :P

Kuroko No Basuke I started reading waaaay before it got popular. I remember there were less than 100 chapters translated at the time, and it was pretty alright. I caught up pretty quickly, but I couldn't keep up with the weekly chapters. It just wasn't memorable enough. So... I put it on my "on hold" or in otherwords "dropped until further notice" list. Months upon months later, news of the anime came out, and the series went crazy. I tried the first episode and wasn't sold. *shrug*. I'm not a team sports lover so... I mean, I like my sports series with notable protagonists. Ones with personality. Kuroko No Basuke follows a team and has a really boring protagonist (who's invisibility is noteworthy.... >.> don't like the concept). I mean, the red hair guy isn't the protagonist, and I get that the white haired guy who's glossed over gets character development... but I just don't like that type of character. *shrug* Slam Dunk may involve a team sport, but the protagonist got one hell of a loud and boisterous personality.
DarkAngelzJan 12, 2014 12:34 PM
Jan 12, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2012
NaruFreak26 said:

Which have you even seen so far to make that assumption..?

DarkAngelz said:
My favorite sports anime is Major! It really doesn't get enough love. It's just amazing, and I recommend it to all sports anime lovers, and shounen lovers, and maybe even slice of life lovers? It's just beyond great.

Eyeshield 21 was pretty good too... but it's just not rewatchable :/

I agree about Major! :)

BTW, did you read the ES21 manga? It's so much better than the anime.
Jan 12, 2014 12:38 PM

Apr 2011
mayukachan said:
NaruFreak26 said:

Which have you even seen so far to make that assumption..?

DarkAngelz said:

Eyeshield 21 was pretty good too... but it's just not rewatchable :/

I agree about Major! :)

BTW, did you read the ES21 manga? It's so much better than the anime.

I'm not sure if I read it... hmm... I watched it years ago. Hmm.... I might just try the manga now that you mentioned it... Actually one sec... if there's a portion of the series that was not animated, then I definitely read that part in the manga.... if not then I probably didnt touch the manga... Either way though, Ima check it out :P
Jan 12, 2014 12:41 PM

Aug 2013
It's anime, so even when it attempts to portray the sports themselves realistically there will exist a little touch of drama that promptly makes them something more than a vsual guide to the specific sport.

I'm not a fond of Basketball but Kuroko and Slam Dunk are outright amazing. Chihayafuru looks deeply interesting too and i have no clear reason for not having watched it yet
Jan 12, 2014 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
DarkAngelz said:
I'm not sure if I read it... hmm... I watched it years ago. Hmm.... I might just try the manga now that you mentioned it... Actually one sec... if there's a portion of the series that was not animated, then I definitely read that part in the manga.... if not then I probably didnt touch the manga... Either way though, Ima check it out :P

The manga's art is so much better as well as the pacing. I recommend the entire thing! :)
Jan 12, 2014 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
im not a fan of baseball but ive watch One Outs because of the awesome tactics the anime shows its like the Death Note of sports anime

Exactly the reason why I was going to consider watching that anime ^^
I personally dont really like "sports" anime
Jan 12, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2013
free is my favorite sports anime
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jan 12, 2014 1:45 PM

May 2010
Good sport anime is when it's full of sexy bishies.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 1 hour ago

12 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

18 by IpreferEcchi »»
20 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - 29 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
23 minutes ago

» Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 2 hours ago

7 by Kushna »»
26 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

74 by MitsukiHimeka »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.