Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 16, 2013 6:19 PM

Jul 2013
CamoBullo said:
sanata50lbsb said:
CamoBullo said:
As someone who hasn't played the VN nor shows any interest to do so, I was just left speechless -- what is happening?

Is this just some alternate timeline where Riki never met the other girls and the Little Busters have seemingly had issues upon issues fallen on them? What does everyone know that they (Riki and Rin) don't? Kyousuke's position has gone from all-knowing badass to manga reading shut-in -- how come? Why is it that after that feel-fueled ending from episode six, we're given this episode which takes out all of the drama due to stuff we don't know about/stuff that's only briefly explained?

Perhaps I'm still disappointed from the Korra finale, but this is was just a weird one for me. The sooner I get an explanation, the better.

this episode is supposed to be like that. during these next few episodes, the answers youre searching for will slowly piece together. and btw theres two more eps of Korra?

I sure hope I get the answers.

And, they decided to air the last four episodes of the season on the same day.

you sure will get them

and i didnt see them, all i saw was that hour long special
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 16, 2013 6:20 PM

May 2012
Guys kyousuke is just reading a very sad Manga.. That is why he told Riki that he was getting to the good part and to leave him alone:3
Nov 16, 2013 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
I have no idea whats going on -_-
Nov 16, 2013 6:37 PM

Jun 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
I have no idea whats going on -_-

Just continue watching.
The answers will be said.
Nov 16, 2013 7:16 PM

Dec 2012
I love how anime-only viewers are confused and making their own hypothesis about what´s happening. The plot mystery is working...

Mixed feelings about this chapter. I didn´t like too much Rin´s at this start, surely will be better in the next episode. But damn, "A world is born" fitted really well at the end, it made the "What´s coming now?" atmosphere.
Liked Masato´s role too.

Next week, it comes, the first damn "battle" (If You know what I mean, VN Readers ;))
TimeToRepentNov 16, 2013 7:20 PM

This is how it all begins.

My RYM|My Last.Fm|My Steam
Nov 16, 2013 7:32 PM

May 2011
More amnesia why?
Nov 16, 2013 7:38 PM

Jul 2010
Could someone explain me something? (If it isn't a spoiler)

Weren't they in the last episode running from the police and such? Then what happened?

Also, didn't Rin already play baseball together with Kengo, Masato ect?
Then why she was saying it was her first time playing baseball?
Nov 16, 2013 7:45 PM

Mar 2013
Akanezora said:

Weren't they in the last episode running from the police and such? Then what happened?

A time loop I guess? I don't know abot the VN but that is what I think, specially because when Riki wakes up and Masato go to fight against Kengo was the same stuff that in the first episode from S1. Also the name of the episode is May the 13th, and that was the date of the first episode from S1 as well.
And Riki and Rin seems not remember anything.
Nov 16, 2013 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
A bit confusing. Still good, some of it is coming together.
I'm hoping all these pieces come together spectacularly.
I'm having a hard time believing this will be as emotional as Clannad After Story
Nov 16, 2013 8:09 PM

Jul 2013
RediceRyan said:
I'm having a hard time believing this will be as emotional as Clannad After Story

its only the first episode of the arc, the good stuff isnt gonna come right away
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Nov 16, 2013 8:22 PM

Nov 2010
Akanezora said:

I haven't read the VN (except the early half), but I guess throwing speculation could be considered spoiler, so I'll just post clues:

1. Last episode's ending basically is a rushed scene, but basically Riki and Rin run away to a recently abandoned house. Police will check if locals see two teens start occupying that without permission.

2. Then after that, what happened? See the start of Refrain episode 1 and 4, now compare it to episode 7, and you should get some clues.

3. If you have noticed, now go back to LB ep. 1. Notice the date and this episode's date. You may also notice the same scene which is played so many times in the series intentionally, especially when they start a new route.

4. You may want to rewatch everything since you may notice a lot of other clues that you haven't noticed before, but you may want to save that for until you know the secret of the world.
Nov 16, 2013 8:29 PM

Aug 2013
Would anyone else like to join the MAL muscle revolution?
Nov 16, 2013 8:34 PM

Nov 2011
RediceRyan said:

I agree with this, i'm hoping that this all comes together really wonderfully.
I'm so confused right now and I think that's the right thing to be feeling because hopefully everything will be answered.

Good episode anyway just that build up at the moment is really high.
Nov 16, 2013 8:41 PM

Jul 2010
zeroyuki92 said:
Akanezora said:

I haven't read the VN (except the early half), but I guess throwing speculation could be considered spoiler, so I'll just post clues:

1. Last episode's ending basically is a rushed scene, but basically Riki and Rin run away to a recently abandoned house. Police will check if locals see two teens start occupying that without permission.

2. Then after that, what happened? See the start of Refrain episode 1 and 4, now compare it to episode 7, and you should get some clues.

3. If you have noticed, now go back to LB ep. 1. Notice the date and this episode's date. You may also notice the same scene which is played so many times in the series intentionally, especially when they start a new route.

4. You may want to rewatch everything since you may notice a lot of other clues that you haven't noticed before, but you may want to save that for until you know the secret of the world.

Thanks man, I'm starting to understand a little more now.
I hope to see a more completed-puzzle in the truly end.
Nov 16, 2013 9:08 PM

Jun 2013
Those lava lamp effects... So trippy lol.

Oh boy, looks like Refrain has started. No more laughs, just pure serious/sad Key content. I am ready.
Nov 16, 2013 9:17 PM

Aug 2008
Naoki-Saten said:
MCAL said:
Naoki-Saten said:
This episode just didn't feel right... they failed to set the atmosphere of "A lot of bad things are going on right now" and "Something has gone awfully wrong".

Also, why remove A-chan-Senpai and put in some random old dorm mother instead?

I don't know... Rin scared of everything, Kyousuke depressed, Kengo's anger and stuff like that was conveyed quite well...

It felt a lot stronger and more depressing in the VN. I can't really put a finger on what exactly went wrong here, except that the music direction was all over the place once again...

Probably because the visual novel played that one depressingly cryptic song over and over again during refrain.

But the main reason is Rin isn't mind broken, Riki isn't as depressing and Masato is even more positive. I think Riki being voiced plays a big part of it. In the visual novel I think I imagined him being a lot more depressed than he actually was.

I don't think the atmosphere they set was bad at all though. A tad different, but definitely not a bad take on it. Plus Rin being improved is more than enough to make several scenes better.
hyperknees91Nov 16, 2013 9:21 PM
Nov 16, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2012
It's good to compare this episode to Little Busters! (season 1) Episode 1 (watch till the 13 minute mark). You'll see quite a few differences, but as you should already know, both episodes occur on 5/13.
http://i40.tinypic.com/11uvs6q.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/t4z5sk.png

There were many references to season 1 episode 1 in the episode, for example:

The opening "Kyousuke is back!" is the same, only that it occurs at night.
Kyousuke isn't where he's supposed to be so Riki tries to stop Masato's and Kengo's fight instead.
Riki came up with the idea of baseball instead of Kyousuke.
Instead of Kyousuke prompting Rin to pitch, Riki was the one who prompted her, and she threw the same fastball, destroying the same signboard.
Similar to season 1, Kengo was the first to oppose and leave the baseball team.

Nov 16, 2013 9:59 PM

Sep 2012
Whoa that episode went by quickly. Pretty interesting, I liked it, although it could still be a lot better IMO. Music direction was a lot better (dat "Born into this World" - FINALLY), events were seriously condensed, but the feeling of Refrain is there.

And to everyone who doubts whether this will make sense and whether it'll come together, I'll just say this:

If you paid attention to all the episodes so far you should really already know the Secret of this World. Komari's story, the "visions" when Riki reads Lennon's letters, Kurugaya's parting words, there are HEAPS of clues in season 1 and the previous episodes of season 2. It's quite ridiculous. If you're familiar with other Key works like Clannad and Kanon, LB has WAY WAY WAY more interconnections than they do. Go clue hunting and you'll easily find the answer.
SleepingEntityNov 16, 2013 10:10 PM
Nov 16, 2013 10:10 PM
Dec 2012
Kyosuke looked depressed. I laughed when Kengo and Makoto left. Interesting is Riki is going to build a new team. Curious to see how he takes leadership. Kengo's remark was worrisome though.
Nov 16, 2013 10:45 PM
Dec 2012
I'm Completely Confused o.o

This animes end is going to be devastating in a really good or really bad way :O
Just How Key Likes To Do Things
Nov 16, 2013 10:47 PM
Dec 2012
CamoBullo said:
sanata50lbsb said:
CamoBullo said:
As someone who hasn't played the VN nor shows any interest to do so, I was just left speechless -- what is happening?

Is this just some alternate timeline where Riki never met the other girls and the Little Busters have seemingly had issues upon issues fallen on them? What does everyone know that they (Riki and Rin) don't? Kyousuke's position has gone from all-knowing badass to manga reading shut-in -- how come? Why is it that after that feel-fueled ending from episode six, we're given this episode which takes out all of the drama due to stuff we don't know about/stuff that's only briefly explained?

Perhaps I'm still disappointed from the Korra finale, but this is was just a weird one for me. The sooner I get an explanation, the better.

this episode is supposed to be like that. during these next few episodes, the answers youre searching for will slowly piece together. and btw theres two more eps of Korra?

I sure hope I get the answers.

And, they decided to air the last four episodes of the season on the same day.

Wait WHAT? 4 Eps On Same Day? o.o
Nov 16, 2013 11:29 PM
Sep 2013
blu3cru5ad3r said:
Great episode. But, the pace... i think it will makes anime only viewer confused (actually, they are)

Episode 8 to 13 will be the 'very true' arc of refrain. Hopes it gets better and better.

We did get confused right at the beginning of Refrain route until later stage of Refrain. Don't try to act like you know everything from the beginning. We did confused about Refrain until the very end.
Nov 16, 2013 11:45 PM

Jul 2009
i am so confused
am i suppose to be confused? lol
Nov 16, 2013 11:49 PM

Sep 2012
Kurogashi said:
i am so confused
am i suppose to be confused? lol

You're supposed to be going "What the hell is the Secret of this World"?

So...yes.
Nov 16, 2013 11:51 PM

Nov 2013
Nice episode, like the soundtrack at the end.Can't wait for the next episode (My favorite one XD).
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate... Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed... Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are... Death awaits you."
—Nyx Avatar, Persona 3
Nov 17, 2013 12:24 AM

Sep 2010
This doesn't look like time traveling, and loops usually happen unconsciously.
Does this mean that Kyousuke is intentionally looping this world?
I don't think I want to theorize anymore since I keep getting one surprise after another, lol...
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Nov 17, 2013 12:35 AM
Nov 2011
The confusion is strong in this one.
Kyousuke should fix his blackened wall (of darkness) that he's leaning against in his room.
Nov 17, 2013 12:45 AM

Jan 2012
As an anime only viewer, i can say that im confused as fuck.
Nov 17, 2013 1:18 AM

Sep 2012
Berri-chan said:
As an anime only viewer, i can say that im confused as fuck.

You're doing well.
Nov 17, 2013 1:33 AM

Aug 2011
So it begins... The real story of Little Busters!

I have to say though, the pacing of this episode was really good, and even though they dropped some minor funny moments, they did well to keep the serious tone of this episode. This is promising.

Riki taking Kyousuke's place in what he did in the first episode of the first season of Little Busters should be pretty obvious for the anime only viewers and of course a lot of questions comes with it seeing how this "reset" happens in this episode, you'll see throughout the rest of the show why, so hang in there!

Seeing Rin in this episode is sad, but I felt it wasn't as heartbreaking as it was in the VN for me, and the fact that she was traumatized of the event that happened at the end of Rin2 (Last episode's rushing ending) I feel has the fault in that, but this is probably only me in that regards, but seeing her smiling and pitching was great to watch again.

KengBRO, how I just love this character. Things aren't going so smooth for ya is it? Poor bro. Masato in the other hand still cheerful as always, but damn next episode is going to be ballistic, can't wait for it!

So 6 episodes left for Refrain... I feel JC Staff will take their time on this and not rush it, and I hope they really do that and keep the formula going like they did on this episode, nothing was rushed, and had all the key moments and with great OST placement. They even added Bench-kun again alongside with the other girl's favorite spots in the anime. If they follow this, Refrain is going to an enjoyable and tearful experience nonetheless.

Nov 17, 2013 1:57 AM

Dec 2011
RESET!

And this time it's Riki to take the lead.

Was someone leading him with that baseball? Kengo didn't seem happy about it going the same way again, that's for sure.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 17, 2013 2:39 AM
Nov 2013
I simply dont even know how to rate this episode. Being an anime-only viewer of the series I have no idea what is going on.

The violence and intensity of Higurashi kept the series interesting for me before the mystery is revealed. This anime however feel like its going nowhere.

Like seriously, only a few episodes left and it's still like this? Just yet another "VN add-on" type of anime I guess.

And once I had high hopes seeing how people compare this to Clannad AS
Nov 17, 2013 2:47 AM
Mar 2008
Vladz0r said:

*Fingers crossed for a remake of this travesty of an adaptation.*

I really laugh at you and all the others who think JC staff have done a bad adaption. They've ended up doing so well that I actually would pick them any day over the jumbled mess that Kyoani did on Clannad. Narrative cohesion counts for a lot you know. Yeah visuals in season 1 in particular could have been better, but since the second half of season 1 it's been GOOD ENOUGH. Moreover, they've done an impeccable job this season so far. Yes stuff's cut, that's nature of adaption. Stop being so entitled. The episode works out just fine. Instead of wanting a Little Busters anime adaption, all you want is Little Busters the visual novel, animated. Sorry, the visual novel narrative is bloated as hell and contains tons of unnecessary stuff. It doesn't work like that in anime.
Nov 17, 2013 2:48 AM

Dec 2012
RavenWish said:
I simply dont even know how to rate this episode. Being an anime-only viewer of the series I have no idea what is going on.

The violence and intensity of Higurashi kept the series interesting for me before the mystery is revealed. This anime however feel like its going nowhere.

Like seriously, only a few episodes left and it's still like this? Just yet another "VN add-on" type of anime I guess.

The VN was just as confusing at this point. You just have to be patient. It's the mystery and how it connects with the reveal that makes this as good (well, I actually preferred it) as After Story. Be patient. If J.C. Staff remain faithful, this will be one hell of a ride.
Nov 17, 2013 2:56 AM

Jun 2013
epic_joelle said:
Would anyone else like to join the MAL muscle revolution?

Kinniku! Yay! Yay!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbuvnqHQrG1rqvc3vo1_r6_500.gif
Next episode...
Nov 17, 2013 2:59 AM
Jun 2013
This episode marks the return of the best character in the entire show : the guy who shouts "Kyousuke's back !".
Nov 17, 2013 3:46 AM

Sep 2012
RavenWish said:

"going nowhere"

Oh, wow.

No offence, but this is like a game of hide-and-seek where you're fumbling around in the park while we're hidden behind trees only metres away.

Open your eyes. Everything has already happened.
Nov 17, 2013 3:57 AM

Sep 2008
Gee I thought I wouldn't get spoiled reading these threads, seeing as I've read the VN already, and I still got spoilers on (unrelated to LB)

hah.

Anyhow, I know VN players wanna assure people or whatever, but reading all these random hinting outside of the episodes to anime-only viewers just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm too allergic to spoilers, but I know I would hate getting any hints at all, but oh well.

To any VN readers who judge episodes every week, please wait until all the episodes have aired, then judge the show as a whole. It's meaningless to say "execution in this ep is bad" if you don't know the reason behind the change in execution to latter episodes.

What I'm trying to say is basically give the anime time to finish.
Wafuu~
Nov 17, 2013 4:17 AM

Dec 2012
I'd say this episode is still better than the rest of LB. Not as good as Episode 6, but still, good.
Nov 17, 2013 4:24 AM

Oct 2013
cxu said:

Anyhow, I know VN players wanna assure people or whatever, but reading all these random hinting outside of the episodes to anime-only viewers just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm too allergic to spoilers, but I know I would hate getting any hints at all, but oh well.

Yeah this has been a problem for us (or maybe just me) anime-only viewers. When VN players assure, give hints, or tell what they expect to happen, we end up having a clue as to what is about to happen and thus the impact of a scene that was supposed to be unexpected and shocking becomes predicted therefore the impact left becomes lessened.

I said this in the previous episode discussion and I will say it again, PLEASE don't give any hints or assurance. If you really want to assure a person since hes starting to hate the anime, just pm him. Not all of us wants those kind of assurance, hints, etc.
Nov 17, 2013 4:41 AM

Nov 2009
-Riptide- said:
cxu said:

Yeah this has been a problem for us (or maybe just me) anime-only viewers. When VN players assure, give hints, or tell what they expect to happen, we end up having a clue as to what is about to happen and thus the impact of a scene that was supposed to be unexpected and shocking becomes predicted therefore the impact left becomes lessened.

I said this in the previous episode discussion and I will say it again, PLEASE don't give any hints or assurance. If you really want to assure a person since hes starting to hate the anime, just pm him. Not all of us wants those kind of assurance, hints, etc.

Meh, also already complained about this a few pages back but ignored. You're not the only that that has a problem about this. It's very true that the feeling is suppose to be unexpected as I said, not expected. You can't really help it though; Everyone's excitement and the feelings on wanting to show the worth of something is true.
Nov 17, 2013 4:57 AM

Dec 2012
MagicFlier said:
-Riptide- said:
cxu said:

Meh, also already complained about this a few pages back but ignored. You're not the only that that has a problem about this. It's very true that the feeling is suppose to be unexpected as I said, not expected. You can't really help it though; Everyone's excitement and the feelings on wanting to show the worth of something is true.

:3
I apologize on the behalf of the VN community. I don't think any of us mean any spoilerish-harm but its just that (well IMO) I wouldn't want anyone dropping this great work due to it's poor first season execution.
Nov 17, 2013 5:07 AM

Nov 2010
cxu said:
Gee I thought I wouldn't get spoiled reading these threads, seeing as I've read the VN already, and I still got spoilers on (unrelated to LB)

hah.

To any VN readers who judge episodes every week, please wait until all the episodes have aired, then judge the show as a whole. It's meaningless to say "execution in this ep is bad" if you don't know the reason behind the change in execution to latter episodes.

What I'm trying to say is basically give the anime time to finish.

I think I'm guilty on the case of that other VN, the latter one, sorry if it spoils you in any way.

However, I think I have spoiler tag it, and warn that even mentioning the title would be a minor spoiler for anyone who haven't read both. I haven't even read Refrain!

More clarification, nothing lead to any clue or spoiler, just OOT :
In the end I think I'll just recommend you to read it by yourself :p

That said, I'm completely agree with you about hinting. VN readers, please don't hint anything about future contents, since that previous speculation was influenced by some hinting in the thread. Even today I was also hint-spoiled, for example some comments lead to "preview" thay the next episode would be mostly about
Nov 17, 2013 5:30 AM
May 2011
A good episode, But I miss 'A World Where Nothing Happened'. :/

Now I'm ready for next episode.... :)
Nov 17, 2013 5:54 AM

Aug 2011
Riki's a titan
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Nov 17, 2013 5:57 AM
May 2011
Don't see why that song couldn't play later.
Nov 17, 2013 5:59 AM
Mar 2013
Really liked the episode. However, having not played the VN, I'm absolutely confused as to what really is happening.
Nov 17, 2013 6:22 AM

Oct 2013
The eps was kinda confusing though... the pacing is odd .__.
Nov 17, 2013 7:42 AM

Oct 2011
Why can't I shake the feeling that my recent completion of Kagetsu Tohya may have inadvertently spoiled the entire show for me?
Nov 17, 2013 7:49 AM

May 2012
Funya-Usagi said:
Riki's a titan

No lennon is a Shikigami
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
Apr 19, 12:46 PM

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.