Forum Settings
Forums

Toonami to Air 'Akira', 'Summer Wars', 'Full Metal Alchemist', and 'Trigun' Movies

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 17, 2013 5:16 PM

May 2012
Will definitely watch Summer Wars. Don't care about the others or already saw them.
Nov 17, 2013 5:18 PM

Jul 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
If I had to guess. Bleach, One Piece, Soul Eater and Sword Art Online will still air. Since Naruto will end on Nov 30. Not sure what will replace its time slot since Shippuden starts in January with Space Dandy. But at 3am is when they will air the movie that week.

They are adding an extra half hour for Space Dandy when it airs.
Nov 17, 2013 10:52 PM
Feb 2013
Toonami, you've done it again. Nearly 13 years ago, you introduce to what would instantly become my favorite television program of all time: Outlaw Star. And now, a year after I first discovered it in all of its marvelous glory, you're airing what is without a doubt my favorite film to date: Summer Wars. What wonderful news to hear right before going to sleep. Thank you, Toonami. Thank you for being so absolutely wonderful.
Nov 18, 2013 1:33 AM

Apr 2011
Summer Wars is my favorite anime movie of all time. Im really glad its being shown on TV. Ive watched it about 8 times since it came out. BTW only thing on Toonami that I would say is (Good or Great) is IGPX and Soul Eater
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Nov 18, 2013 8:07 AM

Nov 2008
not a bad list
Nov 19, 2013 10:54 AM

Mar 2012
Summer Wars is a very good cartoon !
J'ai toujours eu ce sentiment un peu étrange d'être comme extérieur à mon corps. Cette impression de flotter quelque part au dessus, ou d'être dans une salle de cinéma, assis au fond, en train de regarder un long film interminable et à attendre que quelque chose se passe. Cette impression de lutter pour devoir rester éveillé, cette envie d'attraper le personnage principal pour lui dire de se bouger, sans cependant pouvoir rien faire sans briser l'écran.
Nov 19, 2013 10:55 AM

Sep 2011
Koukyoukyoku said:
Summer Wars is a very good cartoon !
Yep, even if its just the digimon movie repasted its still pretty damn good.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 20, 2013 12:27 AM

Jan 2013
This is good since I have yet to check out most of these movies
(so thanks Toonami for saving me the time from downloading these!)

Nov 23, 2013 5:51 AM

Jun 2010
They still airing One Piece? DVR'd it over summer when I was back home... probably have an assload of episodes to catch up on.
Dec 7, 2013 1:06 PM
Oct 2011
JizzyHitler said:
oh just saying, if showing akira is fine then they better show sword of the stranger one day

Awesome movie. Sword of the Stranger would be great on Toonami some day.
Dec 7, 2013 1:21 PM

Jan 2011
^Thank you so much for posting right now, the bump reminded me that Akira is airing tonight! I haven't seen it in years
[center]
Dec 7, 2013 1:23 PM

Nov 2013
aw man, I'm gonna end up missing the first two! Why must I miss out on wonderful things?
Dec 7, 2013 7:06 PM

May 2008
DangerMouseDM said:
JizzyHitler said:
oh just saying, if showing akira is fine then they better show sword of the stranger one day

Awesome movie. Sword of the Stranger would be great on Toonami some day.

That movie is awesome.... and I'm pretty excited to see akira on toonami, I havent seen the dub.
Dec 7, 2013 10:27 PM

Jul 2007
Watching Akira right now, they actually edited it a bit. It was not completely butchered though because it was aired on adult swim during the midnight time slot.

Btw anyone who has not seen this movie, WATCH IT!!! It is quite possibly the greatest anime motion picture film in history.

Dec 8, 2013 12:20 AM

Jan 2013
link9us said:
Watching Akira right now, they actually edited it a bit. It was not completely butchered though because it was aired on adult swim during the midnight time slot.

Btw anyone who has not seen this movie, WATCH IT!!! It is quite possibly the greatest anime motion picture film in history.

Second best. Ghost In The Shell blows it away :P.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 8, 2013 12:23 AM

Jul 2012
link9us said:

They had to edit it a little, though they tried to edit it as little as possible.
Nudity removed, but the film still contains most if not all of the strong language. It also seems to have a lot of the violence and blood and gore intact, if not all of it intact.
From what I saw, censors were really low here, thankfully.
Dec 8, 2013 12:36 AM

Jul 2007
MajinSaga said:
link9us said:

Second best. Ghost In The Shell blows it away :P.

If your taking bout the original GITS then yeah its great, but stand alone complex, hell no.

I just love cyberpunk, world politics and military industrial complex settings all wrapped around a theme of science. Blame, nassika, Eden its the endless world, metropolis, etc.
ArtimesGamerDec 8, 2013 12:41 AM

Dec 8, 2013 12:37 AM

Jan 2013
Battlechili1 said:
link9us said:

They had to edit it a little, though they tried to edit it as little as possible.
Nudity removed, but the film still contains most if not all of the strong language. It also seems to have a lot of the violence and blood and gore intact, if not all of it intact.

They edited out the part where Kaori has her tank top ripped off and she's punched in the face. I expected that though.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 8, 2013 12:42 AM

Jul 2007
MajinSaga said:
Battlechili1 said:
link9us said:

They edited out the part where Kaori has her tank top ripped off and she's punched in the face. I expected that though.

That was a given, but they also edited out some dialogue, language and some blood parts were a little censored.

Dec 8, 2013 3:00 AM

Jan 2011
Just finished airing over here, thank you Toonami for giving me a reason to experience this masterpiece again.
[center]
Dec 8, 2013 5:37 AM
Jul 2012
link9us said:
MajinSaga said:
Battlechili1 said:
link9us said:

That was a given, but they also edited out some dialogue, language and some blood parts were a little censored.

Yes. I was wondering to myself what happened to them after each commercial break. I feel that they kinda skipped some scenes a little.
Dec 8, 2013 5:38 AM
Jul 2012
And, I am so watching Summer Wars thanks to Toonami by the trailer of the movie.
Dec 8, 2013 9:22 AM
Feb 2012
link9us said:

In regards to its animation and music, yes, go and watch it. But in regards to its story... yeah, this is where the original graphic novel, that the film was based upon, shines. I'm aware that the creator of the graphic novel is also the director and writer of the film, but it seems that it's not fully fleshed out as much as the original provides. It's great, but not a masterpiece as everyone proclaims. People should also check up the original graphic novel for the ultimate experience.
Anyway, glad to see that it's finally presented on Toonami. (at least, nearly intact to the uncut version outside of the small bit of nudity edited out) Seen it before so I didn't stay up seeing it.
Dec 8, 2013 11:05 AM
Feb 2013
I'd heard of Akira in the past, but it didn't seem like my kind of film. But last night, I saw it for the first time, on Toonami. Wow. Just wow.

For those who have never seen it before and didn't get to see it last night, let me make two things VERY clear. First of all, personally, it isn't the kind of movie I'd normally go out of my way to see. There's little to no humor throughout the entire film, and that's even including stealth puns. It's dark in tone, the imagery is often grotesque, the world and story is unforgiving, and there's plenty of blood and gore. People who know me will probably be amazed that I watched this film of my own volition, late at night, and by myself, straight through to the end.

But second, and more importantly, it's a fantastic film that should not be missed. The themes hit straight home, the characters are all distinct and complex, the use of the soundtrack (as well as silence) is insanely effective, the animation is absolutely stunning, the atmosphere walks this bizarre line between depressing and optimistic and effectively becomes neither, and there's never a dull moment to be found. The story WILL suck you right in, whether you want it to or not.

It really is no wonder that it's credited with opening the anime floodgates and allowing the medium to be introduced to the rest of the world outside of Japan. I'm even seriously debating reading the manga it's based on, which apparently has even more meat on its bones, and as I said before, that's saying something considering my usual feelings for this sort of material. Perhaps it's a similar deal to Fruits Basket, where the anime is still pretty darn good, but the manga STILL blows it right out of the water. But I guess there's only way to know for certain. *goes to add add manga to plan to read list*.

Safe to say I was not expecting any of this when I decided to watch Akira. Leave it to Toonami to do this to me, and I'm not complaining one bit. I may not love it the way some do, but I'm definitely glad I saw it. And even better, Toonami is following it up with my favorite film of all time: Summer Wars. Now I'll be able to say that Toonami has aired by my favorite TV show (Outlaw Star) AND my favorite movie. Toonami, you have my gratitude.
Dec 8, 2013 12:06 PM

Jul 2007
LinkSeasonMaster said:
I'd heard of Akira in the past, but it didn't seem like my kind of film. But last night, I saw it for the first time, on Toonami. Wow. Just wow.

For those who have never seen it before and didn't get to see it last night, let me make two things VERY clear. First of all, personally, it isn't the kind of movie I'd normally go out of my way to see. There's little to no humor throughout the entire film, and that's even including stealth puns. It's dark in tone, the imagery is often grotesque, the world and story is unforgiving, and there's plenty of blood and gore. People who know me will probably be amazed that I watched this film of my own volition, late at night, and by myself, straight through to the end.

But second, and more importantly, it's a fantastic film that should not be missed. The themes hit straight home, the characters are all distinct and complex, the use of the soundtrack (as well as silence) is insanely effective, the animation is absolutely stunning, the atmosphere walks this bizarre line between depressing and optimistic and effectively becomes neither, and there's never a dull moment to be found. The story WILL suck you right in, whether you want it to or not.

It really is no wonder that it's credited with opening the anime floodgates and allowing the medium to be introduced to the rest of the world outside of Japan. I'm even seriously debating reading the manga it's based on, which apparently has even more meat on its bones, and as I said before, that's saying something considering my usual feelings for this sort of material. Perhaps it's a similar deal to Fruits Basket, where the anime is still pretty darn good, but the manga STILL blows it right out of the water. But I guess there's only way to know for certain. *goes to add add manga to plan to read list*.

Safe to say I was not expecting any of this when I decided to watch Akira. Leave it to Toonami to do this to me, and I'm not complaining one bit. I may not love it the way some do, but I'm definitely glad I saw it. And even better, Toonami is following it up with my favorite film of all time: Summer Wars. Now I'll be able to say that Toonami has aired by my favorite TV show (Outlaw Star) AND my favorite movie. Toonami, you have my gratitude.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. Its always cool to see the reactions from new fans that have never witnessed this visual masterpiece before. I always say that the anime industry should of actually developed and went in the direction that akira did. What i mean is the pen and paper method style has alot more fluidity to it.That is why you hardly ever see any still frames and movies like metropolis and akira just really show you how animation can really become motion picture in every sense of the word.

You look at anime now a days, their are so many shows with still back grounds, still images, still frames because how they rather use CG art, then pen and paper drawings. Of course its kind of become the norm for anime now a days so im very used to it. But every now and then when i see a movie like akira, or even hao myisaki's films, i just have to question if the future of production was like that. Anime would of evolved into something far greater imo.

Yes part of what makes akira so exceptional is not just the animation or production quality, but also the sounds affects, the theme, the characters and the dubbing is one of the best ive seen also, so if its your first time watching it on toonami, then that is definitely a movie that should be watched in English.

filmftw1 said:
link9us said:

In regards to its animation and music, yes, go and watch it. But in regards to its story... yeah, this is where the original graphic novel, that the film was based upon, shines. I'm aware that the creator of the graphic novel is also the director and writer of the film, but it seems that it's not fully fleshed out as much as the original provides. It's great, but not a masterpiece as everyone proclaims. People should also check up the original graphic novel for the ultimate experience.
Anyway, glad to see that it's finally presented on Toonami. (at least, nearly intact to the uncut version outside of the small bit of nudity edited out) Seen it before so I didn't stay up seeing it.

I agree with "filmftw" if you really want to see the complete version in terms of story and characters and a more indepth story, then read the manga. Though i do recognize the fact that the story is confusing at times due to the fact that they leave a bit out behind the origins of akira and other such material, but i still can't fault such a masterpiece of a movie. Everyone else is just carefully executed and the enjoyment lvl of this movie is off the scale, i could watch akira over and over if i had to. So i really do not see no reason to lower my score, despite the fact that the manga is a bit more improved.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
46 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
5 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
9 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.