Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2013 4:21 PM

Nov 2009
I have a feeling that the show is very underrated, judging by the number of people who currently watching the show. And as a romance lover, I can see that its score in MAL can be consired "low" even with so much potential, good directing, likable characters and so on.

If WA2 keeps heading in the right direction. Or at least what it has been doing from the first episode till now, no doubt that WA2 will have its place in my most favorite romance shows like True Tears, Toradora, Spice and Wolf, Amagami, or even Ef and Clannad(although i have to admit they are in different league).

So any thoughts, guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 9, 2013 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
It might be better to ask this question at the end of the series, but with the way its going I feel like it might be a masterpiece but thats only if it ends well.

So to answer your question, I think its at average rating atm with 30% of people giving it a 8/10 and 30% more which have given it 9/10 or 10/10.
Nov 9, 2013 4:39 PM

Apr 2009
Underwatched, maybe. 7.8 is the score I'd give it as well, though that's on my own metric and not the one seemingly used on MAL, where 7 = Average.
Nov 9, 2013 4:58 PM
Sep 2009
I'm not big fan of romance genre. I like some romance in between in action shows and stuff, but I rarely like shows where romance is the main focus. Usually I find them boring and overly cliche.

So far White Album proves to be an exception because I'm loving it and kinda wish I had waited until it finished and marathoned whole thing.
If series keep doing things right as they are so far, it definitely will be among my faves.

It is not cliche, characters are likeable and MC is not an idiot. So yeh I agree and thinks that series are underrated right now. But knowing that most marks and watches come after series are finished, I'll just wait patiently for now with fingers crossed that it won't become a massive disappointment for me as most series are lately.
Nov 9, 2013 5:25 PM
Apr 2011
By MAL standards, it seems underrated as I feel that this anime should be at the 8 range. However, I don't give a damn about the rating system anyways.
Nov 9, 2013 6:02 PM

Jun 2013
We'll see if it's underrated or no when the last episode airs. Right now W.A.2 is underwatched if anything.

My score so far is 8/10.
Nov 9, 2013 6:08 PM

Oct 2007
I think it's about where I'd expect it to be for something of a sleeper hit. Personally I can't comment much on it's relation to other romance series and MAL's scale is way off of mine anyway, but Romance is among my least preferred genres of anime and I've found this show pretty great so far. Decently written characters make such a huge difference.
Nov 9, 2013 7:03 PM
Jul 2013
Underated? Yes.

The show can match up with the top tier romance anime if there was 24 episodes.
Nov 9, 2013 7:04 PM

Aug 2012
In comparison to other higher series rated higher than it, it's underrated. I won't score it on MAL until it's finished but right now I'd say it deserves to be in the low 8s. I am a little biased though as romance is right up there as one of my favourite genres.

I haven't watched it, but judging off ratings and reviews of White Album 1 that anime seemed mediocre at best, may have resulted in people becoming more reserved when it comes to rating WA2 high.
Nov 9, 2013 8:22 PM

Nov 2009
They might not know that WA2 is not related with the first season at all.

Perhaps the same title causes some sort of misunderstanding, they check the first season, it has a low score and people rant about a lot, even in those reviews, so they might afraid to pick up WA2 this season.

Judging from things so far, I enjoyed every episode, this has the potential to be top tier romance. I haven't seen any romance shows which made me really want to feel for the character for several seasons. It felt like I'm happy when Touma and Haruki have a proper conversation, meanwhile there was some sort of bitter taste when I saw Setsuna's jealousy and bit her lip at the end, let's just hope that she won't regret suffering cause she has fallen very hard for the main char -> feels like that categorize romance tiers in my list. The bad one is just meh, okay, no feelings at all.
Nov 9, 2013 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
Underwatched, because of the WA1-WA2 confusion
removed-userNov 9, 2013 9:28 PM
Nov 9, 2013 10:14 PM

Oct 2008
Takana_no_Hana said:
They might not know that WA2 is not related with the first season at all.

Perhaps the same title causes some sort of misunderstanding, they check the first season, it has a low score and people rant about a lot, even in those reviews, so they might afraid to pick up WA2 this season.

Definitely agree, and I was one of the people. I afraid to watch this before because of WA rating, but after watching episode 1, especially the last moment (when Setsuna start singing and Haruki tries to find who sings the song), that's the moment I'm instantly love with this anime.

Currently 9/10 for me.
Nov 10, 2013 12:26 AM
Dec 2012
Judging by the scores/rating of the Visual Novel I'd has a very good chance of being underrated, and it could possibly be a masterpiece. It's got a long way to go though. I don't think I've ever seen a show end an actual love triangle well and it'll be hard to do, but based purely on these first few episodes I think it could happen.

So far there's nothing gimmicky and no crazy cliches, just pure human interaction. Takes damned good writing to feel this gripping already, and I'm almost afraid of the heartbreak and pain to come...at the same time though, I can't wait to experience what WA2 has in store.
ExOsc2Nov 10, 2013 12:29 AM
Nov 10, 2013 4:20 AM

Jun 2013
ExOsc2 said:
I'm almost afraid of the heartbreak and pain to come...at the same time though, I can't wait to experience what WA2 has in store.

WAT THERE'S GOING TO BE HEARTBREAK AND PAIN ;___;
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Nov 10, 2013 4:27 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's based on a top 10 rated visual novel so anything's possible
Nov 10, 2013 6:36 AM

Apr 2012
HaXXspetten said:

In erogamescape it's rated number 1. <3
Dies Irae! :)
Nov 10, 2013 8:00 AM

Sep 2008
It is underrated but wait till it finishes airing. I suspect it will go over 8 maybe even before that.

HaXXspetten said:
This adaptation won't actually reach the parts that made it so high rated, though.
Nov 10, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2012
I don't know, it seems kinda boring. I don't see myself giving this anything above an 8 at this point. The music isn't that great either.
Nov 10, 2013 11:25 AM

Jun 2008
Underwatched, because of the whole "I have to explain to people that WA2 happens 10 years after WA1, and doesn't have anything to do with it except a recurring theme and music."...

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Nov 10, 2013 1:20 PM

Jul 2013
Probably 'cos everyone doesn't want to bother watching WA 1. I almost skipped this series myself until (thankfully) I did some research and found that this has nothing to do with WA 1 except for some small references. In any case I think most people watching this would give this show between 7-8 at most. Some would probably bump it up 1 point depending on the ending. I'm currently rating this 8 but it has a good chance to go to 9 if things keep progressing like this.
Nov 10, 2013 1:34 PM

Aug 2013
Under-watched like a lot of romance dramas.

Can't really say underrated until it finishes. Although, I think it is well executed with even with all of the cliches.
Nov 10, 2013 3:17 PM

Aug 2013
You know White Album 1? it was utter shit and most people tend to avoid '2s' of such series

most have no clue that its got nothing to do with it,they should've given it a different title ;c (even i almost skipped it)
Nov 11, 2013 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
Can't be sure about underrated until all the episodes have aired, but like people have said, it's definitely underwatched most likely because it looks like a sequel to White Album. I nearly skipped both this and Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta for exactly that reason.
Nov 11, 2013 10:49 PM

Mar 2008
It definitely has to do with the first white album, which was horrible that had a lot of things go wrong for it. As like others have posted in this thread, people usually rate a series that looks like a sequel to the original or first series. Now whether it's underrated in another question that is best left when the anime series is done. To others that look past that, or romance genre lovers would really get a treat with this series so far.
Nov 16, 2013 10:23 PM

Sep 2012
I think a lot of people might be assuming that it's a direct sequel and they need to have seen the first White Album to enjoy it.
Nov 17, 2013 2:10 AM
Jan 2012
criminally underrated. I think the first white album left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. This one is more innocent, the mc is less of a 6 timing douchebag, yet it still retains that subtle charm in the delivery that the first white album had. Unlike the case with a lot of other romance animes, the writers don't beat you over the head with redundant dialogue, everything is pretty much to the point.
Nov 17, 2013 4:39 AM

Mar 2008
ftghb said:
criminally underrated. I think the first white album left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. This one is more innocent, the mc is less of a 6 timing douchebag, yet it still retains that subtle charm in the delivery that the first white album had. Unlike the case with a lot of other romance animes, the writers don't beat you over the head with redundant dialogue, everything is pretty much to the point.

lol is sort of resemblance of certain main character in school days. Makoto....
Nov 17, 2013 12:45 PM

Mar 2012
Well, no one can tell before the season ends, and we'll have to see how the drama unfolds, but based on its performance thus far, it really doesn't deserve any rating below 8. The characterization is superb. The romance is well orchestrated. The scenario feels quite realistic. And there's no sappy drama. This has basically hit every major goal of a romance series. I think what's turning people off is mostly the anticipation of bad things to come...not to mention most people might not have even attempted to pick this up given its title. A lot of people tend to assume WA2 is a sequel to WA1, and WA1 doesn't have the best reputation.
Nov 18, 2013 10:23 AM

Aug 2008
As a visual novel reader it's a good adaption so far. But I think the characters sometimes act in fairly unrealistic ways, and sometimes they will act dumb for the sake of drama fodder. It's no NANA but it's certainly much better than most romance anime.

Also the main character gives me cancer at the point I've read up to.
Nov 18, 2013 11:40 AM
Oct 2011
hyperknees91 said:
As a visual novel reader it's a good adaption so far. But I think the characters sometimes act in fairly unrealistic ways, and sometimes they will act dumb for the sake of drama fodder. It's no NANA but it's certainly much better than most romance anime.

I dont think WA2 is similar to NANA to be compared. Both have music and bands, yes, but the similarities stop there. NANA is a josei manga with much less focus on romance than WA2.

And you read the entire Closing Chapter and CODA? Because then any resemblance to NANA completely disappears (and better too).

I agree they are dumb, but not unrealistic. I know this personally. People can be pretty stupid when dealing with romance. I consider more realistic than the average anime, manga and visual novels.
Nov 18, 2013 12:41 PM

Aug 2008
Thanos_ said:
hyperknees91 said:

I dont think WA2 is similar to NANA to be compared. Both have music and bands, yes, but the similarities stop there. NANA is a josei manga with much less focus on romance than WA2.

And you read the entire Closing Chapter and CODA? Because then any resemblance to NANA completely disappears (and better too).

I agree they are dumb, but not unrealistic. I know this personally. People can be pretty stupid when dealing with romance. I consider more realistic than the average anime, manga and visual novels.

Not finished with closing chapter. Only mildly into it so my opinion is subject to change.

I compare this to NANA and honey and clover because of the character depth and slice of life. Not due to the story similarities (plus the mature tone is similar). And yeah I guess your right about the realism. I mean I'm not complaining too much because at least the characters all have good reasons for their actions (except for Haruki, he's just a dumb***).

But hey it's possible I'll like this more than NANA by the end. Depends on if the main character can redeem himself.
Nov 19, 2013 7:43 AM
Sep 2013
i almost skip this anime because the review of the first white album. but someone said in this forum that the white album2 is totally different story from the first WA, so i decided to watch it.

thats the problem. it would be troublesome to tell everyone that this show is nothing related with WA. rather that underrated, this show is actually underwatched IMHO.
Nov 19, 2013 12:44 PM

Jun 2008
hahailham1 said:
thats the problem. it would be troublesome to tell everyone that this show is nothing related with WA. rather that underrated, this show is actually underwatched IMHO.

But keep in mind that it will revolve on the same story theme which is a Love Triangle Drama, So expect Haruki to do something you will totally dislike and before judging him, try putting yourself into his perspective.

Nov 21, 2013 10:47 AM

Jun 2009
kaimax said:
hahailham1 said:

But keep in mind that it will revolve on the same story theme which is a Love Triangle Drama, So expect Haruki to do something you will totally dislike and before judging him, try putting yourself into his perspective.

I'm pretty sure most people will be judgmental. As for me, I'm cool with it as long as his actions make sense in character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 21, 2013 11:43 AM

Aug 2008
kaimax said:
hahailham1 said:

Nov 21, 2013 3:29 PM

May 2008
I was waiting for this since it was announced. I may be one of the few here when I say that I kinda liked White Album 1 and was kinda excited for this. But when the first episode came around I saw that the ratings were kinda low so far so I gave it a pass. But now, episode 7 going to episode 8 it's almost an 8 which was very far from the first episode which I think stuck around 7.5 or something so I guess it's packing up pace.
Nov 22, 2013 4:58 AM
Jun 2012
When people hear about "White Album 2" they think of it as a sequel, so they won't start watching it. That's the only reason it's not popular.
Nov 24, 2013 11:17 AM

Jul 2012
Score: 7.92
Ranked: #5562
Popularity: #1578
Members: 10,758
Favorites: 63

Nope, it seems pretty suitable.
Nov 27, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2013
i watched White album and white album season 2 before watching this one(white album 2) they are totally different, and white album 1, the Mc is totally douchebag, stupid,ect...(i rarely seen a Mc so bad at all) and the story about these girls who still love him, lol seriously......

white album 2 is a master piece if you compare it to the white album 1, its totally different story, you dont need at all to have seen the white album 1
Dec 21, 2013 10:36 PM

Mar 2012
At this very moment, it's a 7.96 on MAL. That's a pretty decent score by MAL standards. If it is underrated, I'd say it's only slightly underrated. I'd say it should be ranked in the low 8s and who knows, maybe after these last two episodes, it might get there.
Dec 22, 2013 6:11 AM

Jun 2008
Toucanbird said:
At this very moment, it's a 7.96 on MAL. That's a pretty decent score by MAL standards. If it is underrated, I'd say it's only slightly underrated. I'd say it should be ranked in the low 8s and who knows, maybe after these last two episodes, it might get there.

With the majority playing the "blame game" and playing "who do you ship"... I doubt that.

Dec 22, 2013 7:03 PM

Oct 2013
one of my best romance aswell atm of all time, i just think this show is underwatched as well, because of WA1 that was total crap and have absolutely no ties with WA2 except music and theme....
Dec 23, 2013 4:13 AM

Aug 2008
Personally I would say IC is the 8.5-9 range, CC - 7.5-8 range and Coda in the 7 range.

But quite honestly I wouldn't be concerned about ratings. They mean nothing other than how popular it is really. It's all subjective anyway so hey if you enjoy it like a 9, isn't that good enough?
Dec 23, 2013 4:59 AM

Dec 2013
Definitely underrated.
Episode 12 was one of the best scenes in a anime i have ever seen.
HyuseDec 23, 2013 3:17 PM

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Dec 23, 2013 6:49 AM

Nov 2012
7.98 currently, quite a decent rating on MAL, but I still think it's underrated. It has everything you can ask for from a romance anime, great art and music, likable characters, well-executed drama. I'm only at episode 8, but I already give it a 9 ( and I'm not a romance fan )
Dec 23, 2013 6:56 AM

May 2012
I'm didn't watch this anime, but how does this compare to Golden Time ?

I'm not a big fan of romance animes, but Golden Time is one of the few that I liked.
Dec 23, 2013 7:15 AM

Dec 2012
Well way worse romance series are rated above it, so it's underrated in that sense.
Dec 23, 2013 5:06 PM

Aug 2013
This anime is honestly really good. I have no idea why its overall score is sub-8; MyAnimeList is crazy.
Dec 23, 2013 5:41 PM

Nov 2009
thepath said:
I'm didn't watch this anime, but how does this compare to Golden Time ?

I'm not a big fan of romance animes, but Golden Time is one of the few that I liked.

Golden time isn't good as WA2, trust me.
Dec 23, 2013 10:25 PM

Nov 2009
At least the two visual novels of WA2 is god-tier level. xDDD

I also think WA2 has become one of my most favorite romance animes ever.
Nevermind just better than Golden Time, I think it's best romance of the year...

Still, I want to see how far better it is in the second part of this story that won't be in the first season. I'm pretty excited about this. XD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

202 by Giolbat »»
Mar 12, 7:03 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2013

221 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 10:50 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

200 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Dec 7, 2013

158 by Daninokuni »»
Mar 8, 3:59 PM

Poll: » White Album 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

856 by GingZ »»
Mar 1, 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.