Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2013 11:22 PM
Aug 2013
I've seen an episode on tv subbed(believe it or not) and i thought it was pretty good. I thought it was a kiddy show but man I was wrong. Thing is the shows 700+ episodes. Is there an ongoing story? Is it still fresh after all this time?
Nov 10, 2013 1:46 AM

Nov 2013
Yes. It's worth watching.

The ongoing story there is for Conan (and Haibara) to capture the Black Organization. As well as to transform them back to their normal state.

It's fresh up to now and is still airing in Japan.
今日の朝食はどうだった?
超ショック!!
Dec 28, 2013 1:55 PM
Aug 2013
sweet. thanks
Dec 28, 2013 1:56 PM

Nov 2010
Only if you treat it as a weekly puzzle show, the cases are very similar and keep the same structure, and the story has barely moved in 700 episodes.
Dec 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Feb 2013
Yes, you will love it, I started watching it this month and it's amazing.
Dec 28, 2013 2:36 PM

Jan 2012
Yes,It's worth watching.

Dec 28, 2013 2:59 PM
Mar 2011
watch this for the child detective
watch jikenbo for story
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 28, 2013 4:48 PM

May 2012
NoSurrender1690 said:
watch this for the child detective
watch jikenbo for story

Idk man Jikenbo is filled with hardcore plagiarism, it's quite sad actually. Would be nice if the authors gave credit to the original novellists instead of just copy/paste the plot and tricks.

Compared to DCs cases like for example the Mystery Train/Bell Tree Express which is a reference to the Murder on Orient Express, but the case doesn't go the same way in either of the stories.

For consistency I think the Detective Academy Q might be the best, but the overarching plot is eerily similar on paper.
k11chiDec 28, 2013 4:52 PM
Dec 29, 2013 7:23 AM

Jun 2008
Yes but 30%-40% episodes of the show are fillers, you can skip them if you want.
Dec 29, 2013 1:33 PM

Dec 2011
k11chi said:

Idk man Jikenbo is filled with hardcore plagiarism, it's quite sad actually. Would be nice if the authors gave credit to the original novellists instead of just copy/paste the plot and tricks.

Compared to DCs cases like for example the Mystery Train/Bell Tree Express which is a reference to the Murder on Orient Express, but the case doesn't go the same way in either of the stories.

For consistency I think the Detective Academy Q might be the best, but the overarching plot is eerily similar on paper.

Eww less talk about plagiarism please. Truth is almost everything has seemingly been done before, especially within the murder detective genre. Anyway, Jikenbo is better than Conan from what I've seen so far. So don't listen to this guy going on about plagiarism, he doesn't seem to understand that there is really a limited amount of crap that you can write about before it all starts looking similar to each other.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2013 3:10 PM

May 2012
LayedBack said:
k11chi said:

Eww less talk about plagiarism please. Truth is almost everything has seemingly been done before, especially within the murder detective genre. Anyway, Jikenbo is better than Conan from what I've seen so far. So don't listen to this guy going on about plagiarism, he doesn't seem to understand that there is really a limited amount of crap that you can write about before it all starts looking similar to each other.

I'm talking about direct copying instead of similarities, just because something has a locked room murder in a mansion =/= plagiarism.
Also the amount of useless drama to stretch out the volumes instead of actual focus on the case itself can be a bad thing, especially for a series that comes out with 2 volumes a year and has like 4 different authors. it's certainly nothing original or new either.

It's easy to prefer something when it seems new and fresh to oneself, though..
Dec 29, 2013 3:40 PM

Aug 2011
Definitely
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Dec 29, 2013 4:57 PM

May 2012
read my review and find out. :P
Dec 29, 2013 5:41 PM

Mar 2008
Definitely! I think you'll like it :)

I actually watched all the Detective Conan movies first before tackling the actual TV series since it has over 600+ episodes and I wasn't sure if I wanted to make such a large commitment... But I got totally hooked after watching the movies and now I'm on episode 616 even though I only started this in late August of this year =)
Dec 29, 2013 10:31 PM

May 2012
Yes. I even "marathoned" it :)) It's really great especially when the Black Org, Hattori Heiji, Kaitou Kid & Kudou's parents appear :D It's soooo exciting. For the normal episodes, you'll learn a lot from them :D
Jan 18, 2014 3:04 PM

Jan 2014
It does have a lot of episodes but it's the best Anime to me :))) fillers can be skipped mostly but I like a lot of those too.
Jan 20, 2014 8:46 PM
Jan 2012
It is worth to watch. I feel like there are alot of episodes that are just too filler and dont really contribute to the plot at all and dont even make for a good single episode mystery. I want to say that if you arent sure you want to watch ALL the episodes, that you can watch those that are more about the plot. So anything with the black organization and I recommend Kaito Kid related episodes.
When I watch episodes that are straight related to the plot and I get a special in there I just cant stop watching, so thats really good. When I get an episode thats about the fat kid doing something stupid cause he was hungry I tend to slow down on watching the show.
Jan 21, 2014 2:46 PM

May 2013
Well, it's my favorite anime, so I'm going to be biased and tell you yes.

Now, I'm not going to spend my time telling you why this is such a great series (that will be done in a review I'm planning to write in the future.) I'm just going to tell you that this is one of those series that really depends on what you expect from it.

You want a high-octane, fast-paced, heart-pounding thriller, with dramatic action and a plot with plot twists at every turn and awesome action?

Yes?

Then stay far away from this show. There are plenty of other series for that. Detective Conan, at its core, is a mystery series. That's what it is about. It's also one of the most subtle anime I've ever seen, so a lot of its merits are missed by most people who aren't paying enough attention.

Just don't watch it for the Black Organization plot. Contrary to what almost everyone says, the mystery cases aren't the "filler." They're the show. The plot is an added bonus.

Watch the first several dozen episodes and see if you like its style. It's a show that gets better as it goes on, so if you like what you see in the beginning, stick with it. Of course, it does require a lot of time and dedication, but I'm sure you're already aware of that.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 8, 2016 2:54 AM
Jan 2013
I have not seen half of all the Conan episodes. But I think it's a series that is worth watching. This is definitely a master piece compared to other crap animes out there. It is not one of the first anime I fell in love with but it is one that got me hooked on a series of more than 800 episodes. Before I didn't like to watch such a long series because they are too long and get boring but this one can get you hooked for years.
Feb 8, 2016 2:56 AM

Nov 2014
Yes if you are here for episodic format, no if you want Black Organization storyline.

Feb 8, 2016 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
Some of the filler is annoying, but it's one of the greatest detective series in any media.
Jun 24, 2017 10:42 PM

Jan 2012
Yes, for the most part...

Just be aware: it has a metric fucktonne of filler - especially among the more recent episodes (2016/2017).
Jun 27, 2017 11:46 PM
Jul 2011
@DateYutaka
watch jikenbo for story

I am 4 years late and a I have watched only the translated episodes from Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: 107 from first season and all episodes from second and third, also some specials.
But maybe you wanted to say "Watch Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo for the cases."?
Because there is no main story or overarching mysteries in it.
Yes, there are some recurring villains like The Puppet Master or The Gentleman Thief (well Lady Thief) but they only act as antagonists, no complex plots and deeper secrets.
Also the many many characters of DC are in deeper and more complicated bonds then those in Kindaich. (Not to mention the shipping...sooo many potential and active couples.)

If we compare the cases those from Kindaichi they are longer and have better atmosphere, but the tricks aren't more complicated then those from Conan and they are also a bit repetitive and over the top. The drama on Kindachi sometimes is too forced, not always but there are some bad instances.

I like them both.
Every of those shows has good and weak characteristics, but you cannot say that Conan is more childish (just because there are kids in it) and Kidaichi is more mature.

Maybe this comes from the filler episodes of DC (they are really bad), and Kidaichi almost has none.
megaloadJun 28, 2017 12:23 AM
Jun 28, 2017 12:05 AM
Mar 2011
megaload said:
@DateYutaka
watch jikenbo for story

I am 4 years late and a I have watched only the translated episodes from Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: 107 from first season and all episodes from second and third, also some specials.
But maybe you wanted to say "Watch Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo for the cases."?
Because there is no main story or overarching mysteries in it.
Yes, there are some recurring villains like The Puppet Master or The Gentleman Thief but they only act as antagonists, no complex plots and deeper secrets.
Also the many many characters of DC are in deeper and more complicated bonds then those in Kindaich. (Not to mention the shipping...sooo many potential and active couples.)

If we compare the cases those from Kindaichi they are longer and have better atmosphere, but the tricks aren't more complicated then those from Conan and they are also a bit repetitive and over the top. The drama on Kindachi sometimes is too forced, not always but there are some bad instances.

I like them both.
Every of those shows has good and weak characteristics, but you cannot say that Conan is more childish (just because there are kids in it) and Kidaichi is more mature.

Maybe this comes from the filler episodes of DC (they are really bad), and Kidaichi almost has none.

i love conan to in dective show i think cases are stroies and jeenbo has better cases in anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 25, 2017 8:36 PM

Jan 2009
Five-Magics how are u? Are you still watching Detective Conan?
I prefer the manga over the anime because I don't have to pay attention to the show while reading subtitles, the characters voices can get annoying especially Conans le le during cases. If u don't like anime filler, or waiting for new episodes i would recommend the manga or the live action version. I don't watch other Detective anime so I have nothing to compare Conan to. detective Conan is educational.
JersaniJul 25, 2017 9:12 PM
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Jul 26, 2017 12:37 AM
Jul 2011
@Jersani
or the live action version

Nope.
manga > anime > live action

And the manga is always better, this is by default.
Also you can skip the anime original episodes, this is recommended for all adaptation with very few exceptions.

I don't watch other Detective anime

I recommend Kindaichi (you can skip the untranslated episodes) and believe me or not Hyouka.
Lupin III also has some detective elements.
Jul 26, 2017 10:31 PM

Jan 2009
megaload said:
@Jersani
or the live action version

Nope.
manga > anime > live action

And the manga is always better, this is by default.
Also you can skip the anime original episodes, this is recommended for all adaptation with very few exceptions.

I don't watch other Detective anime

I recommend Kindaichi (you can skip the untranslated episodes) and believe me or not Hyouka.
Lupin III also has some detective elements.

Thank you.

I'll redo my I don't watch other detective anime to I don't watch other detective anime as much as I do Conan.. I love Inch High Private, Flint the Time Detective. The reasons I don't stray away to other detective anime from Detecive Conan is because •It inspired me to buy Sherlock Holmes books and deepened my love of mysteries and Holmes. •The educational information about Japan and verious subjects. •Case Closed which only aired on Adult Swim was the only manga based mystery anime I saw on television since I started watching anime.

When I was growing up Carrtoon Network's Adult Swim Launched September 2, 2001; 15 years ago and Toonami Launched March 17, 1997; 20 years ago and G4tech tv Anime Unleashed December 30, 2002 – March 16, 2006 were the only networks I watched anime on.

I started watching Case Closed on Cartoon Network Adult Swim. It says on the internet that Case Closed aired on Cartoon Network Adult Swim in 2004, but I think I remember being younger than 16 when I watched it on Adult Swim.

I have a lot of history with DC and I'm not sure any mystery anime can compare to Conan.

IMO with Black Cat (Train Hartnet) the anime and manga are equally good. Sometimes I prefer to read the script/screenplay or literary version of a tv show unless I get lazy then I watch the show.
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Jul 26, 2017 11:33 PM
Jul 2011
@Jersani
IMO with Black Cat (Train Hartnet) the anime and manga are equally good.

Tried to watch the anime - horrible pacing and they added some needles stupid stuff, like Sven (my favorite character) in a drag...
Never bothered to finish it.
So I like the Black Cat manga. DC's anime is a 1000% better adaption event with the AO episodes included.

But maybe I am hard to please. Didn't bother to finish Death Note anime too, and the manga is one of may favorites. By the way I don't like anything from this director - Tetsurou Araki (nor Titans, nor Kabaneri, nor Zombi X Erotica).

Toonami, Adult Swim

My first encounter with Detective Conan was on RTL2 (german TV channel).
My cable service didn't have Toonami. The version of Cartoon Network was different but my friend had it and I managed to watch like two episodes of The Big O with japanese dub. Now way to choose subtitles or dub in european language.
That's what I have seen from Toonami. ;)
Aug 10, 2017 3:07 PM

Apr 2016
YeeeEEESS. It's long, I know. But it's fun, interesting, and has an overarching storyline that often plays in with the plot (though to be fair, it doesnt progress much). So yes, totally worth watching :) (even if u skip a few nonessential episodes here and there).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 47 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 23, 2010

11 by Vivid_7 »»
Apr 21, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 704 Discussion

Conan_Kudo - Aug 3, 2013

38 by Elyshion »»
Apr 20, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1120 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 13

2 by Estoy_Gordo »»
Apr 19, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 957 Discussion

dbaranyi - Oct 19, 2019

6 by animefan8800 »»
Apr 19, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 700 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Jun 15, 2013

36 by Elyshion »»
Apr 18, 11:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.