Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Dec 28, 2018 3:34 AM

Sep 2015
I don't think I've ever read anything like this manga, it was amazing. I wished Punpun's "human" face was shown, I was expecting it to be revealed at the very end. It was a bit touching when he waved goodbye to Harumi and looked like his old self again.

I enjoyed reading the comments on MAL for many of these chapters. Sometimes I just read through manga without thinking much about what will happen next or what things meant.

I wonder if both Aiko and Punpun would have been fine if they just went to the police immediately (like some suggested before) and explained things. It's frustrating to me that she dies like that after what her mother put her through.

I think it was a beautiful ending, though a lot of sad things happened. I'm satisfied.

Oh and the sunglasses guy should have died too. He plays a big role in the suicide of the Pegasus group. Wasn't he in the building?
can dis sig fit
Jan 3, 2019 8:33 AM
Oct 2015
Well, that went well for Punpun..
I didn't think this would end up in a happy note.. I was mistaken!!

So he's living with Sachi and her kid.. What does she call him?? Dad??! I mean, later she'll definitely find the truth. Mimura and Gesumi are married, I guess. The manager is back(on wheelchair though). And Kanie?? What's she doing?? Her sister? Where's she??

Well, don't bother - Asano

Harumi reminds me of their elementary school teacher(a weird one, he was) on looks.
Seki works with his dad and Shimizu's a nurse... They separated forever, I think..

Aiko still haunts my mind..
I bet she haunts Punpun too..

Even though Asano ended it with a less-tragic sense, it still contains some unanswered questions concerning the future of many characters. And it's up to US!!
We're gonna carry that weight..

Really liked the manga.. Definitely worth reading..
Thanks to Joey(The_Anime_Man), who recommended Punpun for me..

Though I really wished Asano would conclude it with the usual 'Oyasumi, Punpun' shot..
Anyway,

Goodnight, Punpun.
Jan 6, 2019 3:53 AM

Jun 2007
Nordaviento said:
i feel it needed a stronger ending. I mean, it wasn't bad, but Punpun should've definitely commited suicide, at least for honor.

It's not fair he broke poor Aiko's life (even tho she was already miserable, but it all went to hell since meeting punpun again) and still be able to live a normal life. I know this manga is not precisely good for being fair towards its characters, but still all the tension accumulated through these last 3 tomes needed of such an action (punpun's suicide) to end up on its higher note. This way it felt really anticlimatic.

The cultist parts, but they got way too much time than it deserved, as well as some meaningless meandering across tomes 6-9.

What I came here to say. It doesn't feel right that Punpun got away clean, free to live his life and unable to even keep his promise to Aiko. The spiral of despair only seemed to affect her, where as Punpun basically shrugged it off and accepted mundane normality. It would've almost been the honourable thing to do to die with her. The saddest thing is Aiko killed herself because she realised Punpun was not like her and that made her feel truly alone.

In Aku Hana I could accept the end - the actions of immature teens during puberty, and Kasuga grew out of it - but in this series the author took his characters so far off the deep-end it felt like there should have been no coming back. Only a few chapters ago Punpun was down with having his eye scrapped out by a sodding fork and had started being psycho-abusive to Aiko, thinking he was a killer, having given up on life.

I don't know: it was an utterly gripping read yet I never got the feeling the author knew what he wanted. The cultist waffling chapters were awful and added/lead to nothing, and side characters like Shio also wasted time adding sodding all. Then we get to the very end and the despair got a... sharp edge (like Punpun saying he's strong now and thanking Aiko for knowing teh despair/wtf). I did get into the PunpunxAiko Romeo & Juliet tragedy once Punpun stopped thinking he was a killer, all 'ardcore, but even then the end left me hollow.

I enjoyed the read immensely yet can't help but be irked by the pacing issues and how... 'tryhard' the DEEP stuff came across at times. Punpun looking more human and less like a bird towards the end just made me wish such a talented artist and drawn him to show his expressions. It might have made his u-turn at the end make more sense.
AironicallyHumanJan 6, 2019 3:58 AM
Feb 21, 2019 9:11 PM
Feb 2015
AironicallyHuman said:
Nordaviento said:
i feel it needed a stronger ending. I mean, it wasn't bad, but Punpun should've definitely commited suicide, at least for honor.

It's not fair he broke poor Aiko's life (even tho she was already miserable, but it all went to hell since meeting punpun again) and still be able to live a normal life. I know this manga is not precisely good for being fair towards its characters, but still all the tension accumulated through these last 3 tomes needed of such an action (punpun's suicide) to end up on its higher note. This way it felt really anticlimatic.

The cultist parts, but they got way too much time than it deserved, as well as some meaningless meandering across tomes 6-9.

What I came here to say. It doesn't feel right that Punpun got away clean, free to live his life and unable to even keep his promise to Aiko. The spiral of despair only seemed to affect her, where as Punpun basically shrugged it off and accepted mundane normality. It would've almost been the honourable thing to do to die with her. The saddest thing is Aiko killed herself because she realised Punpun was not like her and that made her feel truly alone.

In Aku Hana I could accept the end - the actions of immature teens during puberty, and Kasuga grew out of it - but in this series the author took his characters so far off the deep-end it felt like there should have been no coming back. Only a few chapters ago Punpun was down with having his eye scrapped out by a sodding fork and had started being psycho-abusive to Aiko, thinking he was a killer, having given up on life.

I don't know: it was an utterly gripping read yet I never got the feeling the author knew what he wanted. The cultist waffling chapters were awful and added/lead to nothing, and side characters like Shio also wasted time adding sodding all. Then we get to the very end and the despair got a... sharp edge (like Punpun saying he's strong now and thanking Aiko for knowing teh despair/wtf). I did get into the PunpunxAiko Romeo & Juliet tragedy once Punpun stopped thinking he was a killer, all 'ardcore, but even then the end left me hollow.

I enjoyed the read immensely yet can't help but be irked by the pacing issues and how... 'tryhard' the DEEP stuff came across at times. Punpun looking more human and less like a bird towards the end just made me wish such a talented artist and drawn him to show his expressions. It might have made his u-turn at the end make more sense.

According to this interview:
–The scene Harumin sees in the final chapter is one of Punpun surrounded by friends. Looking at that one scene on its own, it’d seem like a really happy one.

Asano: Exactly. But in reality, Punpun never had anything go his way in his entire life. Not once.

–Right.

Asano: After Aiko died, what he really wanted to do was just live a lonely life mourning for her, but in the end he gets caught by Satchan and it all gets sort of muddled. Punpun is broken at that point. When he talks with Aiko in his dream (chapter 145), he says something along the lines of wishing he could just disappear from everyone’s memories, but even that wish isn’t granted.

–The phrase “Good night, Punpun” recurs multiple times throughout the manga, but in the end, when Punpun himself finally chooses to mutter “Good night”, it gets overturned by Satchan. You could say it’s the story of someone who chooses eternal sleep by his own will, but gets woken up anyway.

Asano: That’s true. Also, I might have made it a bit less than obvious, but Satchan is making Punpun into a manga. She’s digging up Punpun’s life, which he wants everyone to forget, and turning it into something permanent — manga.

–Considering Punpun’s personality, that’d be a living hell for him.

Asano: Right to the very end, I wasn’t sure how to go about doing the last chapter. Among the possibilities I’d considered, I’d thought up an ending in which Punpun dies.

–How?

Asano: Satchan’s child falls off a train station platform, Punpun goes down to save him, dies instead. It’s a very clean way to end. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to end on such a clean note.

–What do you mean, “clean”?

Asano: It’s too clear-cut an ending for the story. It wraps it all up a little too well. Living is harder than dying, see, so I thought this was the most painful, worst possible ending for Punpun, and that’s why in the end I went with this final chapter.

–The worst ending is the truest ending for this manga, you’re saying.

Asano: Yes.
Feb 24, 2019 12:48 PM
Jun 2017
This isn't the first time this has happened. If you have watched EoE, you may seem some similarities between Asuka's and Punpun's stories. Both have a reason to live, whether this be driving the EVAs or Aiko. Both know someone who makes them wonder about their life and how are they conducting it (Aiko/Shinji) and those people are linked to their ultimate redemption. Both hide temselves behind a facade.

But the most powerful one is that they manage to catch a little glimpse of hope, to touch it, to lick it: Asuka found the real meaning of her life and that her mother had always been protecting her, and Punpun finally found Aiko after years of yearning her. And then fate just fucks it up and kills her and Aiko, thus neglecting them the happiness they needed.

But still, they are always given a second chance at the end. Why was Asuka the only one to reappear after the Third Impact? Why did Punpun decide to end with Sachi? IDK. But seeing the final look Asuka gave Shinji and the aura that surrounds Punpun at the last chapter, you know they were given the opportunity of a second life. They can leave away the bathtub and the 8 tatamis. They can accept redemption.

They can be free.

That's why Oyasumi Punpun is such a good manga. No matter how many times life (and you) just punch yourself in the crotch, they (you) can still hug you(rself) afterwards.
PaulotronatorApr 22, 2019 7:24 PM
Mar 15, 2019 3:13 AM

Oct 2015
I was wondering the whole time what happened to Harumi. Good to see his character was still present and it was a pretty decent closure to everything. The second half of the manga got really dark
Mar 22, 2019 12:43 PM

Aug 2014
well that was a waste of time. a disappointing manga tbh
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 22, 2019 10:12 PM
Jul 2012
I've just finished this masterpiece and... F*ck, I need to take my anti-depressive more than usual now

10/10
Mar 24, 2019 3:58 PM
Apr 2018
Gotta let things sink in more but overall I think it was great. There were only a couple things I didn't like. One being the cult stuff which was usually a drag to get through and two being the ending.

Immediately after reading I thought from Punpun's POV it was too 'happy' and he wasn't deserving of it because of how he was acting during those days with Aiko.. That whole on the run portion of the series made me go from sympathizing with Punpun to disliking him.

However, after reading an interview with the author I see his intention was for it to be a sad ending and I can see how it can be interpreted that way considering Punpun's ideals vs his reality. But still, also like the author said, at the end of the day we'll all have our own interpretations and personally, even with his explanation, I still think Punpun got off a little too easy. Seems like he wasn't on probation for very long, was surrounded by people who care for him and even started to forget about Aiko. Just sad that Aiko (who arguably had it worse that Punpun) had to commit suicide to make Punpun finally lead a regular life. Would've had less of a problem with it if I didn't start disliking Punpun for his actions towards the end of the series.

All that may sound negative but in the grand scheme of things it's not too big a deal, it's not like the ending was completely botched and it helps knowing Asano's intentions even if I don't think he displayed them perfectly. Plus it was still a great read and journey. I can go on about what I liked about the series but I don't want to make this too long lol. But in terms of the ending one thing I really like was how it ended through Harumi's perspective. I thought it was weird initially but I like it now, after reading Asano's explanation about why he did that way.
MadvillainzMar 24, 2019 4:02 PM
May 19, 2019 2:27 AM

Apr 2018
my favorite piece of media
✧・゚:* space is the place *:・゚✧

May 25, 2019 4:55 AM
Oct 2017
Finished this a few days ago and although when I initially finished it the only thing I felt was shock, now, that I've had a few days to lament on it, I feel incredibly depressed.

I mean I knew what I was getting into when I started reading this series and I didn't really let myself get too attached to characters since I thought maybe they'd all have something horrible happen to them. But by the end of the series I realized I was actually pinning for Punpun and Aiko to reach some sort of conclusion to their relationship, that I wanted Yuuichi and Midori to live a happy life and for all the other characters to get bittersweet if not happy ends. This manga really makes you care about the characters in one way or another.

Which is why the way Punpun and Aiko's arc ends is just so depressing. It feels like everyone else is living normal lives while here there's this poor girl who's lived a shitty life and you think that maybe, just maybe, it'll end with some sort of redemption for her but nope. The entire time they were on the run I felt like Punpun was the worst person she could have been with since for some reason he didn't know that when this sort of stuff happens you go straight to the authorities and tell them your entire story. I mean what does running away ever achieve in these scenarios? And I thought that maybe Aiko would have been smarter about this since she seemed like she was a much more sensible person when she met Punpun at the driving school but she just goes along with him as well. Maybe Punpun shaped her life the same way she shaped his?

In any case I don't think I'll ever have the courage to read this again for the rest of my life. And this was supposed to be one of Asano's works that ends on a lighter note? Damn man.
Jun 20, 2019 12:29 AM
Feb 2019
Dammit. I'm so sad about Aiko. She was a beautiful and wonderful girl. I'm pissed with Pun Pun because of this. He was a hell of a jerk with her.
Jun 20, 2019 7:02 AM
Mar 2017
denpanosekai said:
So, having finished this manga, what should I follow it up with?

I want dark plot twists, murder, suicide and bizarre sex. All on the same page if possible.
have you never read Berserk? If not Go now
Jul 5, 2019 11:50 PM

Apr 2017
I feel bad for Aiko. My gosh, I shed tears after reading it. This manga was too depressing but it was sort of realization to keep in our minds that all things are not possible to happen, even happy endings are not real. Dreams and goals can be shattered into pieces of failure in just a glimpse of reality. Punpun, it must have been tough for you. Now, it is time for you to rest. Rest now Punpun.

Oyasumi Punpun. 10/10
JerryKen10Jul 6, 2019 4:50 AM
Jul 13, 2019 5:28 PM
Jul 2013
I might’ve sped through the series it too fast. Read the whole thing in like a week days.

Art was phenomenal of course, but got really weird with all the abstract imagery.
I’ll have to let it all sink in.

I just want to know how it was the Pun Pun got out of heavy jail time. Insanity?
Aug 13, 2019 5:40 PM
Feb 2019
I have a doubt. Who's the "ghost" that appears in the beginning, when they're kids?
Aug 19, 2019 1:33 AM

May 2012
Meh, quite an underwhelming end. They should have died at the beach, or maybe in that village. Or at least, Sachi could have only found him after it was too late to go to the hospital. It just feels pointless how, after everything, Punpun is back to being mediocre.

I can understand the author wanted "the most painful, worst possible ending for Punpun", but to me it was not as enjoyable to read as a more dramatic end would have been.

And that cultist subplot wasted way too much time for not having enough relevance in the end.

Anyway, it was a nice read. 7/10

Men Are From Mars, 
Women Are From Venus 
and Gays Are From Uranus

Sep 21, 2019 2:24 PM

May 2015
Will we get an spin-off continuation?
The story of Soara
I call it
Soara: Punpun Next Generations
Oct 9, 2019 4:32 AM

Jan 2015
Don’t know how to feel about these last two chapters, but 10/10 without a doubt

I like how the little kid had the t-shirt with the other asano inio’s current work DDDDDD
Oct 26, 2019 6:52 PM

May 2016
The story of Punpun Onodera actually had a happy ending and I'll be damned! I'm really glad for him and despite his very apparent flaws throughout his lifelong journey full of despair and hardships, he had reached his long and well-deserved respite with the help of his friends.

Harumi's become witness to everything coming full circle with the whole cycle repeating as if nothing's changed other than a different cast of young characters who are about to experience their own coming-of-age story real soon.

It's been a while and I hope that you won't mess things up this time. Goodbye, Punpun.

Nov 1, 2019 4:12 PM
Dec 2018
A masterpiece. I'm glad I read this manga.
10/10
Nov 25, 2019 3:54 AM
Nov 2019
I started reading this last night because it was ranked so highly and now it's 6:53 AM and I feel EVERYTHING.
Dec 3, 2019 12:24 PM
Jan 2019
I think it's impossible adapt this Manga in Anime it's difficult to say why but I hope you
guys understand
And
I was expecting more depressing ending

But it was pretty good experience I love the artwork

My score 10/10 masterpiece
Dec 20, 2019 9:43 PM
Dec 2019
Can someone kill my doubt, is Punpun the father of Sashi's daughter or Sashi never aborted and is the Ex Husband's daughter?
Jan 25, 2020 9:04 PM
Apr 2019
I want punpun to die tbh
Feb 12, 2020 7:08 AM
Jul 2019
Knowing Asano I thought this was going to have a sad end. Thanks God I was wrong, Punpun didn't end up forever in prison, he got a job in real states, Sachi turned into a MILF and her daughter is fond of him.[/quote]

it is a sad ending, punpun wanted to die in the hand of the person he loved (aiko) but didn't get the chance to because she dies beforehand, later on when he’s found by Sachi he doesn't feel happy, he doesn't get to live with the girl he was in love with for half his life and when he was about to end himself before sachi found him.
Asano the creator of punpun said himself that the most miserable ending would be for punpun to live “because living is harder than dying” so he shows punpun well alive in the ending of the series but who gives a fuck its fiction so look at however you want
Feb 19, 2020 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
Oyasumi PunPun isn't whiny as some people think, it's ballsy enough to throw gruesome material onto your face that only people mature enough to accept its depiction of truthfulness.
Apr 2, 2020 1:08 AM

Jan 2008
ITzDeltacare said:
Can someone kill my doubt, is Punpun the father of Sashi's daughter or Sashi never aborted and is the Ex Husband's daughter?

She didn't go for abortion, so the ex-husband is the father.
Apr 17, 2020 11:29 AM

Feb 2017
Man, this manga is really good, but I can't deny the fact that it took a long time for me to read. It's almost impossible to find this kind of story in any other media. I'll try to re-read this sometime later, but I guess for now I'm just going dig into Asano's other manga.
Apr 21, 2020 8:50 AM

May 2018
So, after being fully consumed by irrevocable insanity, after all those bitter events which foreshadowed no turning back anymore, he just... recovered and started living a peaceful life? What the hell is that happy end? Is it because he finally got free from the tumor called Aiko which had been corrupting his life all the time, or because he finally put up with his inner god?
Nemo_NiemandApr 21, 2020 9:15 AM

Apr 28, 2020 7:08 PM

Dec 2016
Damn... what a fucking masterpiece. First half was a little bit of a grind to get through but man that second half was such a masterclass of writing and art, it's truly amazing. Welp... now I'm just depressed, probably not as depressed as Onodera tho lmao
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 9, 2020 10:19 PM
Jun 2017
What a lot of people aren't realizing is that this is the worst ending for Punpun. He wanted to die but he was saved by Sachi and his wish was never fullfilled. "Living is harder than dying." and Punpun now has to live every meaningless day for the rest of his life. Nothing ever goes Punpun's way and even his death wish never went his way. Asano tried to portray that Punpun had a happy ending but in actuality him continuing in life was the ultimate sad ending for him.
Jun 12, 2020 12:24 PM
Aug 2019
this is the second time i've read this series and it felt like i was reading a new book! i missed a lot of points reading it the first time as a kid but after a few years, i kinda understood the flow of the story. It really stuck to me how real this manga is and how we can sympathize with the characters. I wish tp read this masterpiece again in tge future if i'm still alive by then.
Jul 4, 2020 6:15 AM

Mar 2020
a must read... now I am depressed.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jul 26, 2020 8:07 AM
Nov 2014
MilEge said:
What a lot of people aren't realizing is that this is the worst ending for Punpun. He wanted to die but he was saved by Sachi and his wish was never fullfilled. "Living is harder than dying." and Punpun now has to live every meaningless day for the rest of his life. Nothing ever goes Punpun's way and even his death wish never went his way. Asano tried to portray that Punpun had a happy ending but in actuality him continuing in life was the ultimate sad ending for him.

Actually dying is pretty easy if you want to, you could do that with tool commonly found in a house, Punpun just don't want to die, he is just an unreliable narrator that lied from the first chapter onwards, the happy ending (well for everyone but aiko and seki) did feel a bit forced imo with Sachi finding Punpun but not's a big deal.

Nemo_Niemand said:
Is it because he finally got free from the tumor called Aiko which had been corrupting his life all the time

How tf Aiko was a tumor ahahah, poor girl she was the only victim in this manga, but yes you could say that the death of Aiko helped Punpun to let it go, maybe it was a metaphorical thing, with Aiko being the naive dreams of punpun childhood which would lead to an unhealty lifestyle if followed as an adult, but punpun wasnt able to kill those dreams

Overall it sounds like I was the minority as I wasnt impacted by this manga at all, it really felt like a metaphorical manga and I hope it's is, because if you strip the manga of Aiko as a "childhood dream" and Sachi as "reality" if turn out as some sort of autobiography of a guy that make women falls in love with him by his sheer presence, even tho like I said punpun is just a liar and just ""forget"" to narrate us every social interaction he had, and he had a lot otherwise he wouldn't have all this girls and friends flocking around him constantly
Aug 14, 2020 11:25 AM
Nov 2011
I'm so obsessed with hat manga, that I read all comments

Like I was tjhink honestly and ut was correct it wasn't good ending. KIt looks like not for Punpun (first I yhink about hm like a goddamn butt because he didn't make the promise of Aiko but he's may be really not so happy with Sachi... I don't know what to think people say that, maybe it was Asanio words?) and definitely not for Aiko. Poor poor girl. She was the saddest (?) cgaracter in whle manga? Starts life pity, ends dramaticallt. I always thinking that it is just a hope, that Punpun and Aiko well be good. Damn why they don't go to the police and tell eberythiung? They will not be suspect any more. But if they're be happy together? I don't know on my mind Punpun has a f.ck life but he a bit create it himself. First I was happy that he don't die, but not for his wish to die but for poor Aiko I wanna him die, not forget her... This manga touch me to the depth of my heart, like other people says, on all media is the deepest show you most realistic lifes

Also I afree witg those deep analysis quotes
Simonian said:
Punpun was a fucking psycho, there's no need to beat around the bush here. He was mentally unstable from the beginning right until the end. I've been through some difficult times in my life and I could even relate, myself being a product of a violent and at times downright psychotic marriage but I've never done or even considered doing half the shit that's portrayed in the manga.

Which brings me to 2 very important points. First one is that Punpun really didn't love Aiko. He was just obsessed over her, thinking he could own her like a dog, albeit in a violent and rapey kind of way. I think that's what Asano was trying to portray. The last few chapters when they finally get together again are a testament to that. As soon as he started mutilating her and using her like a blow up doll I just couldn't take him seriously anymore.

And the second one is that this manga is not really about the drama and tragedy of Onodera Punpun. Ironically enough, it's about the tragedy of people who had to put up with him. The ending, as some posters have mentioned is an unhappy one. Unhappy because a woman committed suicide for a guy that one year later forgot what her real voice sounded like and also unhappy because that psycho was still at large in the end. I cringed when I saw him touching Sachi's daughter.

That's my take on the manga but it is a masterpiece regardless. My strong dislike for Punpun's character has nothing to do with the fact that Asano's storytelling is flawless and painfully depicts life as it truly is.

andyrew93 said:
I'm pretty late to this thread so I don't know if anyone will get a chance to read this. But from reading the posts here I think a lot of people misunderstood Punpun in a big, big way.

I noticed a lot of people didn't quite understand why Punpun was an "asshole" to Aiko. But, actually the truth is Punpun loved Aiko. Even though he was a jerk at times, there were some very affectionate moments between the two of them because he truly did care for her. He didn't hate her, he wasn't mad at her, he was just broken... Punpun never really had a chance to express himself his whole entire life. He lived as someone that he wasn't, his personality was so passive that he never got a chance to express his anger or his sexual desires. Those unexpressed feelings and desires were still a very huge part of who he is. The author uses different caricatures to display what personality Punpun is going through. He's very resentful of his own passive personality as he takes on a whole different person's personality and is drawn as that person. Eventually he meets Aiko again where he finally admits that he lied about his personality and returns to his original, passive bird form. After that they decide to go to Aiko's mom's place where the whole situation happens and that's when Punpun transforms into his "true personality". Originally his passive self was not truly who he was because he was too afraid to express that person. But when a moment arrived where he HAD to develop courage, he snapped and crossed a line of no return. Embracing who he is, with all of his flaws. He learns to accept himself and finally learns to express his desires and emotions. A lot of those emotions are expressed sexually. His anger that was held up inside him all those years is channeled through his sex life, creating a strong sexual drive that isn't normal. Although he does mistreat Aiko, no question about it, him treating her that way wasn't because he doesn't love her or that she's a "cage", like a lot of people interpret. When someone has held in emotions for a long time they often bring those emotions with them into their sex life. The emotions never disappeared and they are expressed subconsciously through sex. That is expressed in so many ways that it's kind of sad to me that nobody really noticed it. Like the first time he took her to a hotel room, he was clearly extremely angry and devestated to the fact that she kept on living a normal life while he thought about her the whole time. He even almost raped her, expressing and channeling his emotions that he was feeling at that moment. Throughout their relationship, no doubt, Punpun treats Aiko in a wrong way sexually as he just basically manhandles her, but again Punpun isn't doing that because he hates her. His pain from the past never healed and so it's shown through his sexual relations with Aiko. Punpun finally feels comfortable around Aiko and feels he can express himself openly, his personality now unveiled puts down his walls that he had in the past with people unleashing the pain, anger and depression that he's felt for so many years. It's not all sexual though. There are times when he's mean to her verbally and physically as well, that also probably has to do with his held in emotions from the past and them coming out as he feels comfortable just being himself and letting go of the old him. Emotions don't just disappear because you choose to ignore them, they will resurface when you decide to be vulnerable and authentic.

Also, I'm surprised that so many people wanted to see Punpun's face towards the end. But there was a lot said whenever it showed him as the original bird that he was. The original Punpun is his passive personality. Whenever Aiko died, Punpun lost the one person that he felt he could truly express himself around. It really explains why he was drawn as his "Satanic/More relatable to humans (due to the clothes and human body)" personallity during his time with Aiko. She was the only person he felt comfortable being himself around, really being vulnerable and expressing himself fully. Whenever she died, he went right back to the empty vessel "bird" that he was, going back to being aimless and without courage. Aiko gave that all to him, showing really how amazingly impactful she was on his life. Literally unlocking who he truly was, feeling so vulnerable with her that he allowed her to gouge out his eye, choke him and even stab him. She was the first person that could finally relate to him. Relate to his locked up, secluded past. There was so much vulnerbility between them, it was ridiculous. Their connection and relatability was so dramatized. Showing Punpun's face would've completely ruined the plot, because it would've defeated the purpose of showing Punpun's full personality with Aiko, the only person that he felt himself with.

I also didn't understand the cult stuff too much. What I did take out of it though was the feelings I got from them wanting to end the world. At the point where Aiko and Punpun got together, I think we all understood that the whole situation couldn't get any better. So actually the whole time I was really hoping that the world would truly end on that high note of beauty. Actually, seeing everyone being wiped out, including them, during those amazing moments would've made me feel fulfilled and at peace. I would've prefered it that way. I'm not really sure what the agenda of all that was, but maybe to make us realize that life doesn't take orders from anyone and that it's going to continue on regardless of what people wish to think. It seems that everyone understands from this story that life just keeps marching on.

justinjeon said:
Knowing Asano I thought this was going to have a sad end. Thanks God I was wrong, Punpun didn't end up forever in prison, he got a job in real states, Sachi turned into a MILF and her daughter is fond of him.

it is a sad ending, punpun wanted to die in the hand of the person he loved (aiko) but didn't get the chance to because she dies beforehand, later on when he’s found by Sachi he doesn't feel happy, he doesn't get to live with the girl he was in love with for half his life and when he was about to end himself before sachi found him.
Asano the creator of punpun said himself that the most miserable ending would be for punpun to live “because living is harder than dying” so he shows punpun well alive in the ending of the series but who gives a fuck its fiction so look at however you want[/quote]
Sep 2, 2020 8:36 PM

Jul 2015
One of the most truly depressing stories I've read since "a thousand setting suns". Definitely one I'll be reading again in the future.

I think it should have shown Punpuns face at the end, you spend the entire manga wondering what he looks like so it feels like a bit of a let down.

What I love about this manga is that everyone will take a different lesson away from it. For me it was that no matter what happens in life it always gave to keep striving towards goals or your life will start to unravel.

Punpun was a really interesting character, he was unlikeable but due to his circumstances you pitied him.

Overall a nearly flawless story. I wasn't a fan of the cult subplot and in the end it didn't play a big part in the story but that's a minor gripe. Something everyone should read 9/10
Sep 29, 2020 12:38 PM

Dec 2013
I've loved reading this series, even when it got extremely depressing and dark. I kind of liked the way Punpun was shown at the end and I didn't mind that we didn't get to see his face. Instead, we got to see his 'usual' self.

That ending tho...

History repeats itself.
Sep 29, 2020 3:20 PM
Feb 2018
Great manga. Interesting at most times and aiko's suicide literally made me cry. I wish we could see punpun's face but looks like we aren't getting that. Well done Asano. Well fucking done for these last 3 volumes and the whole manga really.
Oct 9, 2020 9:14 PM

Mar 2010
This is such a unsettling manga to read and finish.
Oct 14, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2013
I feel relieved after finishing this, because it was really hard to read, especially during the latter volumes.

I have a major problem with this manga: We have homicide, suicide, rape, adultery, pedophilia, child abuse, domestic violence etc. happening to a handful of protagonists (Bonus: 2 weird cults). Is this everyday life in Japan? I can understand some of them being there, but all of them? It looks like an effort to pile up more tragedy on top of already existing tragedy, and this makes the whole thing unrealistic and edgy. Solanin was realistic, Oyasumi Punpun is not (at least if you see it as a whole).

On the other hand, the art is amazing as always. Some of the double spreads are so beautiful that I want to put them on my wall. The dialogue and the symbolisms are well written throughout the entirety of the manga and you can find moments of true greatness here and there e.g the wordless chapter that Punpun and Sachi were playing in the snow.

I think I'll give it an 8/10. Favourite characters: Seki, Aiko and O.G. Mimura
NaughtyNoddyOct 15, 2020 8:07 AM
Oct 24, 2020 3:16 AM

May 2020
Ok ok I recall a happy ending. 147 cchapter I readt makes me back and forth. Revealed that Punpun is back with Sachi and taking care her kid. Previous chapter Punpun's probation is end when talking with Aiko in his dream. Such a great story. No doubt 10/10
Nov 4, 2020 3:26 AM

Jun 2020
I never thought that this was actually have a good ending, but somehow I'm kinda sad tbh.

This was a fucking masterpiece no need for me to explain it's just a 10/10.
Nov 9, 2020 12:02 PM

Jan 2020
Great manga. It's not perfect for me, but I liked a lot. Aiko, I miss you :(

Nov 10, 2020 7:18 PM
Sep 2013
The cycle begins anew. Seriously the best manga I have read to date perfect 10/10.
Nov 18, 2020 7:27 AM

Jul 2017
OK I'm never great at reading into the subtleties of things, but I think I missed the entire point of this.

Most of the characters weren't that likeable and most of the plot was either boring, weird or downright depressing.

Art was nice though!
Dec 23, 2020 5:19 AM

Feb 2016
liked it much more this time around

no idea what kind of thought process leads one to call this a happy end. what the fuck
Jan 13, 2021 4:15 PM

Apr 2019
So good, a life changing experience to say the least.

Jan 23, 2021 2:57 AM
Jun 2020
Im confused about shuntaro
Is his current girlfriend and the highschool one different cause of the throwing picture away
And is the same girl complainijg about takashi
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 51 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

17 by dusty22 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

skapuppet - Oct 18, 2009

112 by dusty22 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 6 Discussion

-Kazu - May 30, 2010

26 by tcandy19 »»
Yesterday, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2014

29 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 2 Discussion

RaisinMuffins - Feb 20, 2012

46 by tcandy19 »»
Apr 22, 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.