Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2013 7:06 PM

May 2013
It was better than all the other episodes so far but still not as awesome as it could've been.

Let me tell you two pieces of useful information:
1.) Take Mako out. The running gags with her aren't funny in the least. Her speeches don't make any sense and don't add to anything at all.
2.) The clothes-theme so far is just meh... In TTGL the spiral energy theme was awesome and everything made sense in it's own crazy and epic universe. Here it only works if you interprete way too much into it and nobody knows if it is actually the purpose or just doesn't make any sense.

btw.
In episode 3 Satsuki literally decleared war on Ryuuko and that every single club would come after her... only so not anything happens at all whatsoever.
Kind of a plot hole, don't you think? They leave Ryuuko alone, in the beginning of this episode they were after Mako... again... and later after Kinagase. The whole thing at the end was to analyse his abilities like they explained, not because of Ryuuko.

They kind of totally forgot about that whole thing of ending of episode 3 somehow...
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Oct 31, 2013 7:13 PM
Oct 2007
They didn't want to analyze him specifically, just the weapons Naked Beach created to counter them.
Oct 31, 2013 7:15 PM

Feb 2012
I see where this is heading now. Blue hair guys are nudists because they have been betrayed by clothes. But seeing the relationship between Ryuuko and Senketsu have shown that people and clothes might be able to live in harmony after all. When Ryuuko transforms, her and Senketsu become one and she is essentially naked because of the close bond they share.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2013 7:27 PM

Apr 2009
Another great episode, this show delivers on so many levels. I'm loving the various colour schemes, they really push the potential of each scene. There's some really great plot development too.
Oct 31, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2010
Best episode so far.
Mako best girl.
Senketsu best cloth.
Orchestra scene fucking amazing.
Done.

Btw, am I the only one who thought at the resemblance of Shingeki no Kyojin's Wall in the first minutes when Tsumugu fought the garden club upon the academy's wall?
Oct 31, 2013 8:09 PM

Feb 2011
Mills said:
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information.
One: The action in this episode was freaking great.
Two: Tsumugu Kinagase is a complete bad ass.

Yeah i have to agree with this! DAT Machine Nailgun And LOL did Mako just took out her lunch from inside her shirt? xD very well hidden indeed

4.53 A nice pair of portable scissors

I'm sure i recognize the voice before it looks like Kamina VA Katsuyuki Konishi is voicing Tsumugu Kinagase :P
By watching the preview, it looks like Uzu Sanageyama's turn to show up. Damn! it's going to epic on the next episode :) As always it's a pain to wait for it though lol
srwgfanOct 31, 2013 8:16 PM
Oct 31, 2013 8:13 PM

May 2012
Dope episode. New character was bad ass. What's his name Tsumugu? Like how this episode played out. I think it would have sucked if Ryu pulled out some crazy new attack, but damn didn't think she would get her ass beat like that. Not even Mako could help. I think Nonon got to be the second strongest. I mean she been with Satsuki the longest. Overall great episode can't wait for the next.

Dat flash back?
Oct 31, 2013 9:04 PM
Oct 2012
Ah, lovely. So I guess Satsuki was the one who was betrayed by her clothes. I guess we will see more of that later.

But damn, Mako. She is steadily rising up the ranks of best character ever.
Oct 31, 2013 9:27 PM

May 2013
Wow what an epic ep.
That new character is bad ass

5/5
Oct 31, 2013 9:33 PM
Jun 2012
srwgfan said:

Yeah i have to agree with this! DAT Machine Nailgun And LOL did Mako just took out her lunch from inside her shirt? xD very well hidden indeed

That's no nailgun. That is clearly one pimped out sewing machine.

Also, I like how during the action scenes they managed to maintain a contrast between the hyper-fast, super-human movements of the uniform wearers and Tsumugu's relatively realistic military motions.
Oct 31, 2013 9:39 PM

May 2011

ONE: The Soundtrack of the series is freaking awesome
TWO: The action gets better and better.
Oct 31, 2013 9:42 PM
Aug 2011
What a great episode.
It had little bits of just about everything and I felt like time flew by while watching it.

Nudist Beach has my complete attention.
Oct 31, 2013 10:05 PM

Apr 2012
wow, this episode was AMAZING in both context and quality.
the theme of friendship in this was pretty interesting since it was between ryuko and senketsu.
and mako was pretty cool too! she was serious for like two seconds but it was awesome.
it felt like a real plot episode and was so fun to watch. :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2013 10:41 PM

Oct 2013
One: This episode was brutal
Two: No one interrupts me while I'm watching Kill la Kill
Oct 31, 2013 10:50 PM

Jul 2013
nakama power!!! scissor-like-sword wielding girl and her talking uniform version!!!..but yeah great action scenes!.. oh and less fanservice = better.
Oct 31, 2013 10:58 PM

Aug 2013
Oh man, that karuta action killed me. xD
Oct 31, 2013 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
Something, something. Good show. Bad show.
Best episode since the first episode.
*cue controversy*
Oct 31, 2013 11:49 PM

Aug 2013
Mako is awesome as usual.

Nudist Beach! So now we know why Mikisugi always likes to strip. Even Kinagase was nude while tinkering with his gadgets haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 1, 2013 12:01 AM

Nov 2011
Awesome episode the action in it was really well done, haven't been disappointed with the animation yet can only hope they keep us this craziness/awesome battles.
Looking forward to the next episode :D
Nov 1, 2013 12:02 AM
Jun 2013
I get to have a feeling the woman that killed Ryuuko's father and the one betrayed by the clothing might turn out being one and the same person later. And may be it'll have something to do with Satsuki's mother.
And I'm glad we could finally have Nonon in action. It's nice to know she may have the closest relationship to Satsuki out of all 4 Devas. And it'll be good if we get some flash-backs of how they met in the first place.
I'm very looking forward for the next episode. I doubt Sanageyama will get defeated so early, especially when Ryuuko has yet to defeat all other clubs before getting into serious and decisive battle with the 4 Kings.
Nov 1, 2013 12:41 AM

Dec 2011
a mere gun is useless against a Goku uniform, huh? But all those people around you were wearing them as well, albeit the 1 star version.

Nudist Beach?!
What a name for an insurgent group

"Mako, go on ahead"
train leaves
"okay, I will"
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 1, 2013 1:07 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode. Really intense.
Nov 1, 2013 1:24 AM

Jul 2008
What a great opponent, really interested to see can he beat Satsuki's 3 stars men seeing that he could go against Ryuuko :) I was worried the godrobe might be too overpowered and the only person capable of beating Ryuuko is Satsuki but this episode change my thought. It's a good way to make Ryuuko improve her skills and herself as a person :)

I hope Satsuki's godrobe will not backstab her close to the finale.
Nov 1, 2013 1:30 AM

Aug 2010
I freaking love Mako, she is the true hero who saves the day! Great episode 5/5.
Nov 1, 2013 2:26 AM
Nov 2012
Another great episode! Also...

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3627/nom1.jpg

DAN DAN DAAAAN!
Nov 1, 2013 2:45 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
That new character looks quite like Kittan from TTGL. So, I did not expect that the uniforms were treated as 'evil' by that organization. And I wonder if that mysterious woman is Ryuuko's mother or the true villain since it was said that the kamui can turn you into a monster.
Nov 1, 2013 2:47 AM

Jan 2009
Ryan64 said:

DAN DAN DAAAAN!

great catch by 4chan again lol
Nov 1, 2013 2:48 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
j0x said:
Ryan64 said:

DAN DAN DAAAAN!

great catch by 4chan again lol

Imagine if Mako is someone wicked at the end...
Nov 1, 2013 2:59 AM

Jan 2009
lol they should have used Katsuyuki's voice for that nudist teacher dude instead of the new rooster guy.
Nov 1, 2013 4:12 AM

Apr 2009
Thanks for the maleservice <3
Nov 1, 2013 4:37 AM

Sep 2011
Badass ep! Epic stuff at the end=D
Nov 1, 2013 4:40 AM

Dec 2012
This show and Golden time are really all I need for this season
Nov 1, 2013 5:54 AM

Jul 2010
Ryan64 said:

DAN DAN DAAAAN!

I KNEW IT, LONG LIFE TO MAKO-SAMA.
Nov 1, 2013 6:50 AM

Mar 2010
I keep hearing a track from Super Danganronpa 2 in this episode.
Compare the voice here: http://youtu.be/vCWsKrma6T4?t=14s
With the same singing voice in the background around 16:46 from Kill la Kill episode 5.

【私の夢しかありません。】 | | | | | | |
Nov 1, 2013 8:22 AM

Feb 2011
Oh dear lord almighty, that orchestra scene, if I wasn't already into this, that would've won me over by a landslide.
Nov 1, 2013 8:28 AM

Jul 2012
The Karuta players and Orchestra! That is all.
Nov 1, 2013 9:12 AM

Sep 2009
and there goes Mako again :D I really like it everytime she does it in an important part...
One of the best part was when Senketsu protected Matoi and the scene where Matoi hug Senketsu. :))
Nov 1, 2013 9:22 AM
Oct 2012
kuuurt said:
My god, that was a perfect episode and I don't give out "perfect episode" comments that easily. That was just simply amazing. The dialogues were perfect and that insert song in the battle was fitting enough to send shivers down my spine. I know this sounds like I'm just overrating KLK, but it really deserves the praise it gets. I really hope KLK's goodness will continue to gradually rise every episode. Wow.

The art is awesome, too; I'm really digging the "oldies" style of art they use. The animation's quite a bit... weird, but I'm really trying to understand that their budget is not that high (they should've swapped budgets with Nagi no Asukara!) Their repetitive use of scenes for like 3~5 seconds gets kinda annoying, though. Hm... maybe that's a style they created to add humor? Nevertheless, the visuals are still quite okay.

Also, I'm really loving Mako's character. She may be the comedy relief of the show (along with adding some spice to the fan service) but her character design and dialogues are awesome. There's going to be a big chance she'll get inside my "My favorite characters" list once this ends (or once her character develops, like maybe she's the final boss of the show or gets darker or something.)

While the repetition use of scenes has the extra benefit of saving money, for this type of show they would have used it regardless because the shows this is an homage to used them. This is a great example of taking an imposed handicap and turning it into a benefit.

As for Mako, as Ryan showed above there is more to her than we seen, and don't forget that last episode she can move faster than a 3 star when she wanted to. So yes, we will be getting a lot more of Mako coming up (lets see, possible cliches: has to fight friend by being brainwashed, converted to black Mako, friend dies and she gets revenge - so many possibilities).
Nov 1, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2013
Great rebound episode after I didn't like episode 4 at all really
Nov 1, 2013 9:47 AM

Jan 2008
I fell in love with the orchestra girl voice. It's so unique and on the spot - not overly "loli" or sweet to cause you diabetes, but also not overly gruff to the point of awkwardness.
Nov 1, 2013 10:14 AM

Apr 2012
>nudist guerilla movement
>smoking badass biker
>karuta and rakugo clubs

For some reason all the odd episodes have been great while all the even episodes have been weird. Hope next week won't be weird.

Was also cool how it's implied Ryuuko is crazy and Senketsu isn't really alive. It opens a whole new range of interpretations.
EratiKNov 1, 2013 11:11 AM
Nov 1, 2013 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
Lol the gardening club had me ROFLing!
Dat OST!
Dat Mako!!

Anti-clothing guerrilla organization? Why the heck not!! Nothing will surprise me in this show anymore :)
Nov 1, 2013 10:52 AM

Sep 2012
Nudist Beach organisation lol

Love the classical music accompanying the fight

The same old Mako's absurd way to cool off the tension (and save Ryuko)

And surely I hope this episode has taught Ryuko not to admonish her blood-uniform all the time but sincerely and wholeheartedly work with it as partner because her rashness and stubbornness can get really grating...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 1, 2013 10:53 AM

Feb 2011
Eudaimonia said:
Tsk, tsk, Ryuuko, you out of all people should know better than calling your assaultor a pervert, still falling back to the same thought pattern of prudery, suspecting sexual connotations whenever it comes to (the unwrapping of) your body, even after getting lectured by Satsuki about the proper way to wear one's clothes, which is to wear it with pride and to act accordingly ;)

▶ Once again Kill La Kill proves its absolute superiority with its latest episode.
This show simply bursts with creativity while still retaining its old-school feeling by paying homage to 70' and 80' anime. Lots of interestingly framed shots and this show's style of colouring never ceases to impress me by creating great contrasts and thus accentuating each scene to its fullest.
Everything just oozes style but despite its sheer amount of seeming absurdity quite some substance can be found beneath the flashy visuals.
And lots of plot progression this time, too, for those who set a high value on that...

▶ A third party gets introduced: Tsumugu Kinagase, a member of the Anti-Uniform Guerilla, an organization which doesn't only oppose Honnouji Academy but also (as their name implies) uniforms, especially those which carry dangerous potential such as the Kamui.
Additionally homeroom teacher Aikurou Mikisugi reveals himself as part of the "Nudist Beach" group, whatever its name may entail though seeing his tendencies to peel off his clothes at certain times it seems quite fitting. Remember the aneasthesia syringes he used to disable Ryuuko in episode 2?
Looks like people against clothing in this show often tend to carry around sharp and paralyzing utensils. Oh, the irony of using sewing needles as a weapon against those who rely on clothes as their resource of power.

▶ Anyway, more importantly, KLK has hammered home just how clothing represents THE most important motif of this show everything, really everything revolves around. Ryuuko herself undergoes a significant change in this episode. At the beginning only a piece of clothing as she says herself before her fight with Tsumugu, a measure to achieve her goals, Senketsu turns into someone she considers a dear friend, actually the only "person" beside Mako who supports her on a personal level.

▶ Because really, Ryuuko is awefully lonely when you look closely: An orphant who lost her parents at a young age transfers to this to her foreign city where she doesn't know anyone. She gets bullied at school everyday by the student council and various clubs and constantly gets harrassed by members of the opposite sex. Her only friend is a weirdo who also becomes a target of mentioned ones' bullying just by associating with her. From this point of view Mako's talk about Ryuuko's loneliness and supposed delusions and her escaping into a fantasy world by treating her school uniform(!) as an imaginary friend takes on a completely different meaning. Appropriately we get to see Ryuuko in her most vulnerable state up to this point when she gets bereaved of her uniform, an unsually grim moment in this otherwise high-energy and light-hearted show. Not to mention this episode contained two scenes of Ryuuko losing Mako and Senketsu respectively showing how accustomed/dependent she has become to them.

▶ Clothes make the man. Clothes grant power. Power leads to corruption. Using Honnouj Academy as an example it isn't difficult to see where Tsumugu's animosity against uniforms stems from. The fascistic nature of its school directly thrives on military uniform-based sailor fuku and gakuran (hello, social commentary on Japanese educational facilities). The youth that gets brought up this way is entirely focused on achievements and performance, lacking social kindness and accepting social inequality as a given, even going so far as to sabotage those who yearn to escape poverty as depicted the previous week.

▶ "People and Clothing ARE enemies" is what Tsugumu believes in. In this context he perceives Life Fibers the Kamui are made of as parasites, demonic creatures which lull their wearers into a false sense of security only to take advantage of them eventually. On a meta-level, however, it could point to how different clothes divide people into different status and causes social distinctions directly rather than being a mere symptom thereof which couldn't be more true when applied to the world KLK is set in. That would explain the existence of the "Nudist" organization as it rejects clothing as the fundamental basis of their ideology in order to reset the disrupture caused by the concept of clothing. Perhaps it's a bit far-fetched but I wouldn't put it past the producers to have thought of that.

I think you're thinking WAY too deeply for this anime -.-
Nov 1, 2013 11:19 AM

Dec 2010
Ryan64 said:

DAN DAN DAAAAN!

LOL.
Nov 1, 2013 11:37 AM

Jan 2010
I liked the new character introduced, but still missing something else, this story of facing a club per episode or try to kill Matoi and vice versa is already getting pretty mashed, hopefully promising a climax between starting the next episodes, something that places emphasis on the script, and not only this plot predictable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Nov 1, 2013 12:01 PM

Aug 2011
Damn badass episode this was, it was pact with action and the new character was badass as well!

So this character is after Godrobes huh? Though for some reason, I have a feeling he and Matoi is related somehow. Could it be their hair has this red color on their head? I don't know, but would be interesting if that were to be the case, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the last time we'll see him this episode!

Mako again saves the day, this girl is one heck of a character in this show, and the way she explains stuff in this show is just gullible to watch.

This Nudist Beach organization sounds interesting, yet I feel the answer will be somehow bizarre when it is revealed.

Let me tell you two useful things!

1) Mako is a heroine in disguise!
2) Nudist Beach organization are full of nudists like Mikisugi!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e86bd1def3b12005e143c68b232a76b3/tumblr_mvjv8ufVCE1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Also, anyone know when the total episodes for this show will be announced for? I do hope for a 2 cour show. It might seem that Satsuki is the "Last Boss" of this show, but knowing Trigger doing TTGL, it could have much bigger and universal! Action out of all proportions!
Nov 1, 2013 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
Mako is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite characters.
Nov 1, 2013 1:21 PM

Feb 2011
Great episode, but not as amazing as last week's episode.

Btw, am I the only one that thought the sound effects sounded strange? I downloaded the Horriblesubs and Underwater versions and both had this problem... or it's just me.
morshuwarriorNov 1, 2013 1:30 PM
Nov 1, 2013 2:52 PM

Jun 2008
I've got it: Senketsu can't actually talk. Ryuko only imagines it.

Some might say "But it talked to that one guy in this episode!" but we see immediately in the next shot that Senketsu is still in Ryuko's arms, so him "hearing" Senketsu was some psychological reaction to what had just happened.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

877 by ardakishere »»
Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

955 by NullZweiChan »»
Apr 14, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Feb 27, 2014

407 by DRUG_Deleted911 »»
Apr 13, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MCAL - Nov 6, 2013

278 by Nublager »»
Apr 8, 2:00 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

391 by Slimdudejim »»
Apr 7, 8:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.