Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2009 8:22 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought this was going to be one of those "feel-good" episodes that sometimes come after the story is wrapped up. You know, all the fellows get together, have some snacks and drinks, and sing the "Dango Daikazoku" song.

There's some of that fluff, but the female detective trio also defeats Jack the Ripper! How cool is that.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Feb 17, 2009 3:41 PM

Dec 2007
Did you find it subbed, or did you watch the Raw?
Feb 17, 2009 6:01 PM
Mar 2008
If you found the episode subbed, could you please tell me where you found it. I have been waiting forever to see it. Thanks so much!!!
Feb 17, 2009 10:13 PM

Mar 2008
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=search&term=musume+22&cat=0&listorder=0&ascdesc=0

The English isn't great, but it's good enough to understand what's going on. If you want quality you better wait for L-E.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Feb 18, 2009 1:19 PM

Feb 2008
any chance of some megaupload/rapidshare links for us, if possible? :D

the torrent has only downloaded 3.53 MB with 720kB discarded in 3.5 hours (and no it isnt my connection). Pleassssseeeee, I've been waiting for this episode for months.

Edit: Cancel that, its ticking along nicely now.

Edit 2: Quite a nice episode, just rounds off the series nicely. Interesting seeing how everyone has (not) changed. Also quite funny to see fellow Londoners speaking Japanese aswell lol.

Also, if anyone is getting a 'private torrent' message, you can also get it here if you wish. Thats where i got it.
5hreddyFeb 19, 2009 3:42 AM
Feb 19, 2009 3:09 AM

Dec 2007
Thanks for the link, it's great to finally be able to complete this series!

Looks like they left it open ended for a second season, I hope they decide to go through with it, this series has so much potential.
Feb 19, 2009 5:45 PM
Mar 2008
Thanks so much for the link. You are the best!!
Apr 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Feb 2008
edit: aciddental post :(
Apr 11, 2009 3:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tokyo Olympics was in 1964. Tokyo Tower construction was in 1957-1958. So this episode is around 1958-1960. Nice ending episode that actually pushed this series from a 7 to 8.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 16, 2009 6:26 PM

Sep 2007
5hRreDDy said:
any chance of some megaupload/rapidshare links for us, if possible? :D
Can anyone put it onto ddl now?
I've given up on L-E and tried the torrent.....
But it looks very dead now.... x_x

EDIT: Nevermind...it took a few...hours...to resurrect...<.<;

EDIT2: I agree it's a really nice way to close it up yet leaves space for a possible second season. (Anybody else think Chiko giving that little lost kid a little "pep talk" and him wanting to join Akechi's detective agency have some hidden meaning? =o )

IkanoApr 17, 2009 8:29 AM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jul 7, 2009 9:30 AM

Dec 2007
Subs are out by some obscure group (Baka Konbi or something like that). Guess I will have to finish up the final two episodes at last!
Aug 13, 2009 10:17 AM

Apr 2008
I'm happy I can now complete this series.

Sweet episode Ken really is the coolest character in this show!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Sep 7, 2009 11:05 PM

Dec 2007
Live Evil finally released episode 22 today. lolz.
Sep 7, 2009 11:59 PM

Sep 2008
wakka9ca said:
Tokyo Olympics was in 1964. Tokyo Tower construction was in 1957-1958. So this episode is around 1958-1960. Nice ending episode that actually pushed this series from a 7 to 8.....

Now that's great detective research!

I FINALLY finished this series, waited an entire year for Live-EviL to sub that last episode.
Sep 8, 2009 7:41 AM

Jun 2008
YES!!! FINALLY IT'S OUT!@!!!!@

Now to find out if the wait was worth it.

Do we live to watch Anime, or watch Anime to live?
Sep 8, 2009 8:27 AM

Oct 2007
The name Live Evil for their Fansub is not just for show T__T

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 8, 2009 8:44 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Don't think Chiko could've managed to sweep the guy of his feet but hey... finally it's done. Episode itself wasn't that bad.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 8, 2009 1:47 PM

Oct 2007
Done, finally! I can't say I think the wait was actually worth it, but whatever. 7/10

Sep 12, 2009 8:33 PM

Dec 2007
I finally completed this series after waiting for many months. Overall, I liked and enjoyed this episode.
Sep 20, 2009 6:06 AM

Apr 2009
I accidently found out about this anime and completed it for 1 day lol...it is on my top
5 anime list. I simply adore it and hope there'll be a 2nd season. My fav characters is Ken of course ♥♥♥
Oct 13, 2009 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
lol well i really liked this show at first but then it kinda got crappy. that bit at the end was a bit annoying too. oh well at least i finished it finally.
Jan 9, 2010 10:58 PM

Jul 2007
Okay so this shows first half way really, really awesome. The second part was really, really annoying. Plot development was so half-assed and inconsistent, it wasn't even funny anymore. What did we watch there anyway? A James Bond version of Indiana Jones? How'd it go from the thief theme to freakin cyborgs and plasma cannons? How'd Ken become Batman, punishing evildoers in the shadows of England, in episode 22? Why was Koito the only character that changed optically (and only her head!)? Questions over questions! We might never find out!

Anyway I think my score for this will remain at 8/10. I liked Hirano Aya as Chico, the ED was nice too, for an Aya song. Most or all of Chicos action scenes were awesome. So there was still some entertainment value in the later episodes.
May 1, 2010 4:28 AM

Mar 2010
Mire said:
Okay so this shows first half way really, really awesome. The second part was really, really annoying. Plot development was so half-assed and inconsistent, it wasn't even funny anymore. What did we watch there anyway? A James Bond version of Indiana Jones? How'd it go from the thief theme to freakin cyborgs and plasma cannons? How'd Ken become Batman, punishing evildoers in the shadows of England, in episode 22? Why was Koito the only character that changed optically (and only her head!)? Questions over questions! We might never find out!

Anyway I think my score for this will remain at 8/10. I liked Hirano Aya as Chico, the ED was nice too, for an Aya song. Most or all of Chicos action scenes were awesome. So there was still some entertainment value in the later episodes.

yeah ...i was quite surprise too,i mean they had cyborg in the 1950s - 1960s haha but a good series tho ... ^_^ and the ending was okay ... :)
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Jun 26, 2010 9:14 AM

Jan 2008
Wood always beat Swords apparently
This series got really boring for me, the second half just never seemed to end so I'm giving this series an overal rating of 6/10
Aug 3, 2010 9:21 PM

Sep 2009
pretty good series i liked the ending :)

Sep 1, 2010 8:29 AM

Oct 2009
Waw.. good ending..

but.. i would like in the end.. see Chiko-Ninjuu Mensou no Ojii-san pair.. >.<

so.. in the end.. Is it chiko meet her Ojii-san?? kya..
Where i can read this manga online.. i cant find it anywhere..

Jul 25, 2012 8:02 PM
Feb 2008
Seemed to sputter out by the end. But it was still solid. I liked how it referenced other characters that the original author wrote about. Kinda of made it neat to see how all of his characters rub shoulders. I definitely would like to see an OVA with Ken and the researcher chick. Surprised 20 Faces didn't show up somewhere in the shadows or something. It was a bit ridiculous on occasions at how Chiko went around flying and slapping people, then again so did some of the other characters. I could see this translating well into some movie series in the West. Has alot of charm with some neat ideas just needed to tighten up the execution and give it more gas.

Solid 7
Feb 16, 2014 3:46 PM

Jan 2010
It feels like this whole show is like a finely crafted jigsaw puzzle, where each individual piece is exquisitely designed, but they awkwardly connect with each other. The show's different parts: the life with Twenty Face's gang, the intermediate time just living life, and the final confrontation were all great, but they didn't really mesh well together. I would totally love to have seen each part take on a show in of themselves, but for what it is, The Daughter of Twenty Faces is a unique show that I can't really put down for much. Great stuff, great stuff.
Jun 13, 2014 1:55 AM

Aug 2013
The first six episodes was amazing but then stuff happened and everything got crappy. I'm going to pretend episode 7 to 21 never existed. Episode 1 to 6, then a timeskip happened, then episode 22 and go from there. I really wish it stuck with the James Bond-action thievery theme but noo they have to add evil scientists, cyborgs and beam of death.

6/10 and I'm being generous.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 24, 2014 4:36 PM

Apr 2007
Seems like the manga just ended with episode 21, but the anime decided to show Chiko's time in England 3 years later. That was a pretty nice thing to see. Overall, I felt like there were many things missing in the anime or did not have good closure. It was really enjoyable nevertheless. 8/10
Nov 11, 2014 9:56 AM

Jul 2013
Eh this show really changed from 1 to 22 ep, thievery, school/slice of live, sci-fi/mystery, with a strange plot there scientist tries to destroy every war toy created.
Just hated what Chiko in start was almost professional thief and later in the show she is just a girl who cant defend herself (at least people like Tome think like she is weak, you can say they don't know she was good trained but still it annoys me so much).
Strange how sci-fi is handled, everyone just ignores it and take is as plausible.

All in all I liked most of characters and and it had some very good moments 8/10
Jun 6, 2015 6:40 AM

Oct 2014
The first half was great but it went downhill so 5/10
Aug 30, 2015 7:34 PM

May 2014
Wow I can't believe no one mentioned how the boy's name was Kobayashi, and how he said he wanted to be an assistant of Detective Akechi. I know this isn't canon, but it's a nice reference to Ranpo's work with Akechi Kogorou and Kobayashi Yoshio. anyways, very nice series. 8/10 Now time to watch Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace, and see Akechi and Kobayashi again ^^
Jun 17, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2010
WHo is this Kobayashi??
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 17, 2017 12:18 AM

Jun 2009
Hm, it was okay. 6/10
Jun 16, 2020 7:48 PM
Jun 2020
I watched this show long ago when I was a little girl and fell in love with it. I enjoyed the concept very much and always praised it when talking to friends and the like. After years of watching other shows and growing as a person, I came back and watched the show all over again. Had my opinion changed as I became an adult? My thoughts go as followed:

SPOILER ALERT Episode 1-6 will always be my favorite time during this show. A lot of you will agree with me on that. As the show goes on after those episodes and our young protagonist deals with the heavy weight on her shoulders after losing her new recruited family...it just...SUCKS. Reverting back to a bland life(?) and a greedy aunt(?)...playing detective? That’s not what I first got into the show for.

The plot starts ramping up and we get introduced to many things. Science and war being a main theme behind it all. We also get to peek into Twenty Faces past as well but why did it have to take this sudden and abrupt turn? Chiko, once a skilled baddass that had mastered the art of thievery, is now dumbed down to a basic school girl being stalked and harassed because of her relations with Twenty Faces. It would’ve been awesome to see her fight in the right circumstance but she was literally fighting against robots and crazy, bent out of shape mutants. How is that fair?? We, as the audience, didn’t even get to root for our lead female character because she was always receiving the short end of the stick!

Let’s not forget about her obsession with Twenty Faces. I get exactly what she was feeling in episode 7 cause when he “died” I was so confused on how the show was going to carry on without him and I was quite upset too. I know she looked up to him as a father and when he suddenly died she fell into shock and depression (that’s normal for anyone) but when she was told he might be alive it was like she was just couldn’t get him out of her mind. That and he kept reappearing and disappearing every other episode which wasn’t healthy for Chikos mind.

AND AFTER EVERYTHING, when he’s asking her to come with him so that she’ll be safe, she tells him no and they part ways. It didn’t baffle me just once but TWICE (maybe thrice). Years and years difference and I’m still left feeling empty as she once again goes back to basic school life.

Episode 22 was alright to me. 3 years after everyone parts way and we see them reunite in England playing detective once again. I was only interested in the difference in appearance but tome and chiko didn’t change at all. It was disappointing. Chiko then goes to her previous families grave to apologize for not coming often and to give them flowers. She turns around and calls to the person in front of her. Everyone in the audience will think Twenty Faces is with her BUT WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THAT?! Does she change her mind and go with him? Does she reject him once again and go back to Tome. The frustration I had was endless as I watched that last bit in episode 22. It made me happy that they were once again reunited but...what does it mean and where does the story go from there?

I couldnt even get good enough closure as nobody has written any fan fiction following up on this last scene.Tell me your thoughts after I’ve written all this out. Do you agree with me? Do you think my points are valid?

Rated 8.5/10
Animation was a 9
Story was an 8
Character development was like a 7.5
Twenty Faces was like a 10
Chiko was a 9.5
Ken (still mad he wanted to blame her for everything) was like a 8.5
Jul 2, 2020 7:02 PM
Dec 2019
Flc10136442 said:
I watched this show long ago when I was a little girl and fell in love with it. I enjoyed the concept very much and always praised it when talking to friends and the like. After years of watching other shows and growing as a person, I came back and watched the show all over again. Had my opinion changed as I became an adult? My thoughts go as followed:

SPOILER ALERT Episode 1-6 will always be my favorite time during this show. A lot of you will agree with me on that. As the show goes on after those episodes and our young protagonist deals with the heavy weight on her shoulders after losing her new recruited family...it just...SUCKS. Reverting back to a bland life(?) and a greedy aunt(?)...playing detective? That’s not what I first got into the show for.

The plot starts ramping up and we get introduced to many things. Science and war being a main theme behind it all. We also get to peek into Twenty Faces past as well but why did it have to take this sudden and abrupt turn? Chiko, once a skilled baddass that had mastered the art of thievery, is now dumbed down to a basic school girl being stalked and harassed because of her relations with Twenty Faces. It would’ve been awesome to see her fight in the right circumstance but she was literally fighting against robots and crazy, bent out of shape mutants. How is that fair?? We, as the audience, didn’t even get to root for our lead female character because she was always receiving the short end of the stick!

Let’s not forget about her obsession with Twenty Faces. I get exactly what she was feeling in episode 7 cause when he “died” I was so confused on how the show was going to carry on without him and I was quite upset too. I know she looked up to him as a father and when he suddenly died she fell into shock and depression (that’s normal for anyone) but when she was told he might be alive it was like she was just couldn’t get him out of her mind. That and he kept reappearing and disappearing every other episode which wasn’t healthy for Chikos mind.

AND AFTER EVERYTHING, when he’s asking her to come with him so that she’ll be safe, she tells him no and they part ways. It didn’t baffle me just once but TWICE (maybe thrice). Years and years difference and I’m still left feeling empty as she once again goes back to basic school life.

Episode 22 was alright to me. 3 years after everyone parts way and we see them reunite in England playing detective once again. I was only interested in the difference in appearance but tome and chiko didn’t change at all. It was disappointing. Chiko then goes to her previous families grave to apologize for not coming often and to give them flowers. She turns around and calls to the person in front of her. Everyone in the audience will think Twenty Faces is with her BUT WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THAT?! Does she change her mind and go with him? Does she reject him once again and go back to Tome. The frustration I had was endless as I watched that last bit in episode 22. It made me happy that they were once again reunited but...what does it mean and where does the story go from there?

I couldnt even get good enough closure as nobody has written any fan fiction following up on this last scene.Tell me your thoughts after I’ve written all this out. Do you agree with me? Do you think my points are valid?

Rated 8.5/10
Animation was a 9
Story was an 8
Character development was like a 7.5
Twenty Faces was like a 10
Chiko was a 9.5
Ken (still mad he wanted to blame her for everything) was like a 8.5

Yeah I agree with all of your points, except that the ending was fully disappointing. I think it was half disappointing.

Bones has played me again. They make a show with so much potential and a lot of really good pieces but somehow always sabotage themselves. Chiko is an immediately compelling character and one that's always interesting to watch, and the themes about family, loss, war, ambition, moving on, and hope had some good stuff to say, especially in the context of the post-war time period that the story is set and originally written. It's just that a whole bunch of individually forgivable issues piled up over the course of the show and ruined its execution.

-Suspension of disbelief: even without all the scifi stuff, Chiko's feats are ridiculous and Twenty Faces has superhuman durability. Some of Chiko's clever plays rely on coincidence, like having someone step into a loop of chain so they could be hung up in the air.

-Out-of-place scifi elements: It's not that sci-fi doesn't belong in a 1950s noir setting- see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for an example of this done right. It's that in this particular instance, the inclusion of scifi is awkward because there are realistic elements and themes and characters tied to an actual war and its artstyle is subdued. This doesn't look or feel like an action-adventure story like Indiana Jones or fun superhero movie like Captain America, especially with the weight of the tragedy for both Chiko and the nation of Japan.

-Tonally dissonant: As others have said, this show traverses too many genres and doesn't facilitate flow between each of them. The comedy episode full of fanservice is the best example of this, as there was little to no comedy preceding it and the artstyle of the show doesn't fit it.

-Lack of clear purpose and sense of direction: Combined with the tonal dissonance, this is pretty bad. At first we think it's about to be an episodic adventure about Chiko as she develops while doing heists. Then it meanders into a slice-of-life setting with some action thrown in. Then it goes for an over-the-top sci-fi plot with themes about the war. The direction of Chiko's arc is unclear- after she deals with her grief, she spends most of the remaining episodes longing after Twenty Faces.

-Lack of development for supporting characters and illogical villain motivations: Pretty self evident. The professor wanted to create the future... by destroying Tokyo? Or did he want to get back at Japanese people for trying to forget the war? Or did he just want to prove that his experiment worked?

-Contrived drama: Twenty Faces keeps disappearing on Chiko without telling her that he'll be back, causing her unnecessary heartbreak and longing. He is also unnecessarily blunt with his girlfriend after burning his research, which causes her neuroticism.

-Inability to fit Chiko into the story naturally: Chiko is just a normal girl without any superpowers, and yet the story throws her into circumstances involving people with superhuman strength and durability. Not only that, the story has to contrive ways for her to get involved in such action. For example, when her uncle drove her to see the detective accept an assignment from the police for no reason. Or how people seem to be unreasonably obsessed with her, even though they have no idea what Twenty Face's legacy is. Twenty Faces himself also throws her into unnecessary danger by letting the public believe this and allowing her to keep looking for him, which puts her in even more danger. Overall, Chiko does very little actual detective work and though she has agency, much of the plot progresses because of what other people do.

Chiko's a similar character to Erin- both precocious girls with a voracious appetite for learning and a pure heart. In order to properly progress the story of such characters, you have to give them challenges to overcome that don't require them to be unrealistically overpowered. Erin's action comes in the form of her learning more about beasts and connecting with them, and her superior ability to do so compared to other characters is quite believable. Chiko's challenges are physical and require unrealistic levels of physical strength and speed. What they could've done to properly structure the story around Chiko is to have her spend a few more years with the crew, acquiring more skills and becoming physically stronger as well. Seeing an older, more experienced Chiko go through those action set pieces is much more believable and natural and also evokes a greater sense of growth. Second, don't center her challenges primarily upon hand to hand combat. The chase scene in the second to last episode was a good example of how she escapes the grasp of everyone else using her reasonably superior agility and cleverness. However, I think what would be even better is to center her conflicts around actual detective work/heists/infiltrations/spying so we don't have to rely on seeing a 110 pound woman taking on superhumans to be entertained. Another thing that this show can learn from Erin is to follow through with the death of the mentor figure and have Chiko grow up as the show progresses. This not only spurs Chiko's independent development but also makes for better drama as she continually flashes back to what Twenty Faces taught her, so that we see Twenty Faces is actually with her.

And that's just the basics--- Chiko's character has a ton of potential on the emotional and thematic side that can be developed better over the course of 22 episodes. Hell, you can even take her in the direction of Monster, interacting with various criminals. I'd watch the hell out of that. So yeah, you say fan fic after the ending, I say fan fic rewriting 80% of the show.

All that being said, it sounds like I'd give the show a 1/10 but I don't hate the show. I really like the potential it flashed and I think there's heart there. The only time I hate a show is when I hate the feeling of the show, which isn't the case here.
RecynonJul 2, 2020 7:09 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nijuu Mensou no Musume Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 24, 2008

25 by todd2580 »»
Mar 11, 2023 4:25 AM

Poll: » Nijuu Mensou no Musume Episode 15 Discussion

cyruz - Sep 4, 2008

23 by Recynon »»
Jul 2, 2020 12:01 AM

Poll: » Nijuu Mensou no Musume Episode 13 Discussion

cyruz - Jul 28, 2008

30 by Recynon »»
Jul 1, 2020 8:02 PM

Poll: » Nijuu Mensou no Musume Episode 2 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Apr 23, 2008

30 by Recynon »»
Jul 1, 2020 6:59 PM

Poll: » Nijuu Mensou no Musume Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

gioss - May 19, 2008

84 by MondayBlues »»
Mar 8, 2017 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.