Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Oct 28, 2013 8:22 PM

Can anyone think of a reason why Demika(the monk) has Serara on his friend list?
Obviously the monk has it to check her location, but why did Serara accept the bad guy's friend request in the first place?
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 8:25 PM

Oct 28, 2013 8:33 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
Can anyone think of a reason why Demika(the monk) has Serara on his friend list?
Obviously the monk has it to check her location, but why did Serara accept the bad guy's friend request in the first place?

Could be fear perhaps. Maybe friends lists work funny in the game.

Or something else...
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...

Oct 28, 2013 8:41 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
He probably likes her, idk. He's also obsessed with her, she doesn't seem that strong.

Oct 28, 2013 8:53 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
The monk got Serara on the friend's list BEFORE he turned really nasty and tyrannical, that is before the "catastrophe". And I am sure Serara was also a bit naive at that time, so she might have accepted friend request without thinking too much then.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Oct 28, 2013 8:54 PM

symbv said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
The monk got Serara on the friend's list BEFORE he turned really nasty and tyrannical, that is before the "catastrophe". And I am sure Serara was also a bit naive at that time, so she might have accepted friend request without thinking too much then.

I'm thinking about she was caught when arriving at Susukino. Then the guild members took her to Demi and he forced Serara to add him on her friendlist so he could observe her location.
Then she somehow escaped and saved by the cat. -> it sounds logical than the two of them knowing each other before in the first place.

By the way, the monk is level 90 and his main location is at Susukino or somewhere near the place. Don't you think it's a bit strange if Serara knew about the guy first when she usually stay at Akihabara with Crescent guild meanwhile none of Crescent crews know about the guy?

Base on the dialogue when speaking with the mage:
"how long are you going to obsess over that girl?
You've gotta keep a tight lead on your pets...
Let them know who's boss"

I doubt the part he turned into a tyranny and being a nasty player when the apocalypse day happened, because he IS already one before.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 9:05 PM

Oct 28, 2013 9:24 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
I'm thinking about she was caught when arriving at Susukino. Then the guild members took her to Demi and he forced Serara to add him on her friendlist so he could observe her location.
No, she was not caught arriving at Susukino I think. She was in Susukino for some time already before the catastrophe struck.

Takana_no_Hana said:

By the way, the monk is level 90 and his main location is at Susukino or somewhere near the place. Don't you think it's a bit strange if Serara knew about the guy first when she usually stay at Akihabara with Crescent guild meanwhile none of Crescent crews know about the guy?
We do not know how often Serara or any of the Crescent crews went to Susukino. When the port gates were working I would say that it is most likely that they all have gone to Susukino before and so I think many of the crew know about the monk.

Takana_no_Hana said:

I doubt the part he turned into a tyranny and being a nasty player when the apocalypse day happened, because he IS already one before.
Well, we know that people turned much nastier and violent after the catastrophe. In the dialogue, we know Monk did not always have good reputation but it is clear that he turned much worse after the catastrophe.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Oct 28, 2013 9:38 PM

No, she was not caught arriving at Susukino I think. She was in Susukino for some time already before the catastrophe struck.

If you watch the episode 2 again, near the end. They gave clear information: Serara went to Susukino was exactly the day when the catastrophe struck and the gate/port stopped working. Then they received no information about her, not until the cat saved her and she could give some information back to Crescent guild.

There was an unknown time when she lost contacts with her guild at Akihabara. So this would be the time when something happened which we don't really know what exactly DID happen. She could be caught when Demi's guild started to invade the town. Then they forced Serara to add Demi's friend request so he could locate her. Somehow she escaped and got saved by the cat. -> this sounds more logical and will likely to negate the theory when the two knew each other before.

In the dialogue, we know Monk did not always have good reputation but it is clear that he turned much worse after the catastrophe.

If it's clear that he didn't have good reputation then Serara wouldn't want to add him in the first place. She was with her guild at Akihabara most of the time.

And again, this is not the case, IF she knew about the monk(as they were in friend list before), then obviously she could point directly to him and all the Crescent guild members knew about the monk (as you thought they would know him).
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 9:45 PM

Oct 28, 2013 9:45 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:

If you watch the episode 2 again, near the end. They gave clear information: Serara went to Susukino was exactly the day when the catastrophe struck and the gate/port stopped working. Then they received no information about her, not until the cat saved her and she could give some information back to Crescent guild.
Yeah, but as I said, we did not know how often Serara or other crew went to Susukino, right? We don't know when the Monk got Serara on his friend's list, right? I don't think he got her on the list during Serara's last trip to Susukino.

Takana_no_Hana said:
There was an unknown time when she lost contacts with her guild at Akihabara. So this would be the time when something happened which we don't really know what exactly DID happen. She could be caught, then forced to add Demi's friend request so he could locate her. Somehow she escaped and got saved by the cat.
I don't think it was ever mentioned she was caught and then escaped. It makes much better sense that Monk gets her on the friends list earlier, probably when he could still act, well, like friends to people around him.

Takana_no_Hana said:

If it's clear that he didn't have good reputation then Serara wouldn't want to add him in the first place. She was with her guild at Akihabara most of the time.
Didn't I mention naivety of Serara?? If the Monk has been acting nice at that time he could have got her name on his friends list without too much effort. And even though I said some Crescent crews might know about the monk, it does not mean that every crew knows it.

Takana_no_Hana said:
This is not the case, IF she knew about the monk(as they were in friend list before), then obviously she could point directly to him and all the Crescent guild members knew about the monk (as you thought they would know him).
It is possible that Serara never told the guild about Monk having her on friend's list. It is not as if a member needs to report to the guild all the people who have their names on friends list, no?
Modified by symbv, Oct 28, 2013 9:48 PM

Oct 28, 2013 9:51 PM

But the problem lies in the dialogue between the monk and mage in the latest episode, they spoke to each other as if Serara was Demi's pet. And he obsesses about her. If he knew her before then he wouldn't let Serara join the Crescent guild and keep on harassing her.
With your explanation, the catastrophe struck and turn him into a nasty person? At the same time it awakes the monk's obsessiveness over Serara? It sounds ridiculous.

And something clearly happened in the unknown time which made Serara becomes more notice about the guild Demi leads. So there's no guarantee that this monk was a nicer person before the catastrophe struck. It just showed that he is a nasty person when he appeared. No one knows about his past so this is your speculation only.

If things, like I said, happened at the unknown time then it would negate the possibility of the two of them knowing each other before.

Here's another thing, no one in the Crescent knew about the monk at all. And the monk must joined the pk guild for a long time(if he did this, obviously he already has a bad reputation) to be the guild's leader.
If you check the wiki
http://log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Brigandia
they said that currently the guild leader was appointed to him, and this guild has been famous with pk stuff related which strengthen my theories.
As this guild has enough strength to invade on Susukino then it couldn't not be recently formed. The guild were there for a certain of time, even before Serara played the game. And if the monk joined this pk guild, then I doubt he would have a good reputation to begin with.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 9:59 PM

Oct 28, 2013 9:59 PM

I took the dialogue about Serara being Demi's pet as meaning what they consider Serara *should be* not what she has already become.

I still think it is most likely the two knew each other before. I think it was explained a bit more clearly in the LN but I don't have the LN with me so I could not check for the specific text for evidence.

And I don't think the Crescent not knowing the monk at all. The bad reputation he got was not because of PK (which only seems to become prevalent after the "catastrophe") it is more his attitude and style that got him the bad reputation (more below).

If you check the wiki
http://log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Brigandia
they said that currently the guild leader was appointed to him, and this guild has been famous with pk stuff related which strengthen my theories.
The Japanese wiki said Brigandia got notorious for attacking NPC and looting their places. PK came only afterwards (mainly after the catastrophe). Also neither your link nor the entry for Demi said anything about him being "appointed".

Oct 28, 2013 10:02 PM

If I recall correctly, Shiroe said you can't add a person to your friends list unless they're in front of you (or within range?) and that of course they must accept. Hmm I always thought Serara was stranded in Susukino when the portals stopped working and that's when Demikas had her added in the friends list. Well Serara's cute, I'd add her :P
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Oct 28, 2013 10:05 PM

Brigandia is a guild known for looting and PK'ing unsuspecting players. It is currently led by Demikas.

This is what the wiki said. Mind the words in bold.

And I don't think the Crescent not knowing the monk at all. The bad reputation he got was not because of PK (which only seems to become prevalent after the "catastrophe") it is more his attitude and style that got him the bad reputation (more below).

Then how come Serara did not talk about him at all with the Crescent guild? As if she knows no one knew about the guy.
When Shiroe or the cat man mentioned about Demika, Serara became afraid. She knew how danger of a person he is. If he was on her friend list before, she would know the guy level and possible the guild he leads, then reported back to the guild with an expectation of someone will know.
Or she did not know anything about Demika at all, and just recently learned about him.

xchee said:
Hmm I always thought Serara was stranded in Susukino when the portals stopped working and that's when Demikas had her added in the friends list.

This is exactly my thoughts, and she was "forced" to.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 10:11 PM

Oct 28, 2013 10:11 PM

> This is what the wiki said. Mind the words in bold.

Yeah, but that does not mean he is thus "appointed".

Modified by symbv, Oct 28, 2013 10:16 PM

Oct 28, 2013 10:12 PM

symbv said:
> This is what the wiki said. Mind the words in bold.

Yeah, but that does not mean he is thus "appointed".

By any means, he earned the title of a guild leader, either by defeating the previous leader, or was being appointed. Things happens. Being involved with a pk guild in a long time, has a nasty personality are enough to ruin your reputation to a certain extend.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 10:30 PM

Oct 28, 2013 10:16 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
By any means, he earned the title of a guild leader, either by defeating the previous leader, or was being appointed. Things happens. Being involved with a pk guild in a long time, has a nasty personality are enough to ruin your reputation to a certain extend.
Well, he could have created the guild himself, no?

Also, as I said the guild used to make violence to NPC. Robbing characters sometimes. But PK seems to come much later. As I said his reputation is more from how difficult he could be to work and his attitude towards NPC.

> Then how come Serara did not talk about him at all with the Crescent guild?

As I said, must a member report everyone who got him/her on his friends list to his/her guild??

>When Shiroe or the cat man mentioned about Demika, Serara became afraid. She knew how danger of a person he is. If he was on her friend list before, she would know the guy level and possible the guild he leads, then reported back to the guild with an expectation of someone will know.

Just the chase where Serara was almost caught is enough to traumatise her about Demika, no? And Serara also knew what his guild was doing to people in Susukino. It does not need a spell in captivity for her to become afraid of him when Shiro and Nyanta mentioned him later.

Oct 28, 2013 10:29 PM

As I said, there was an unknown time when Serara lost contacts with Crescent guild. And its the time crazy stuff happened, Demi got her added to his friend list by force.

The part cat man saved her happened was still unknown of the time. It could happened after she got caught and escaped. No one knows what Serara has been through beside herself. Anything is just a mere speculation

The information which delivered to Crescent was that "Serara got attacked by PK people and got saved by a stranger". The words "attack" means a lot of things. But with the current means of sharing information stopped working, the infor which was sent must be short and clear.
_She got attaked.
_She was saved by a stranger.

You don't need to add the infor when and where did she got caught, they forced her to add Demi's friend list, people getting killed everywhere and stuff. Then how she made an escape and got away. Just no, this is not a crying letter. The info must be brief and short as possible.

Also, as I said the guild used to make violence to NPC. Robbing characters sometimes. But PK seems to come much later. As I said his reputation is more from how difficult he could be to work and his attitude towards NPC.

>The guild used to make violence to NPC.
>Robbing characters sometimes.
Demi must has been in the guild for a certain of time to become the guild's leader. Or at least BEFORE the time Serara played the game. You cannot simply join the guild and become its leader in an instant.

Serara is at level 19. She's new to the game, she's shy and easy to afraid. She is not naive as much as you think to get a person, who involved with the guild doing bad things, on her friend list. There's a possibility that your infor about the guild could show up when adding a friend request. And the fact that Serara came to Susukino means she does not know the danger or Demi information at all and still think that Susukino is a safe place to go.

Just the chase where Serara was almost caught is enough to traumatise her about Demika, no? And Serara also knew what his guild was doing to people in Susukino. It does not need a spell in captivity for her to become afraid of him when Shiro and Nyanta mentioned him later.

How did she know about them if she was naive as you think? The guy obsess about her from the beginning.
Obsessiveness is a nature of some human. It does not simply awake after something happens. When you meet or first come to contact with something which make you obsess over it, you already know.
If the guy knew about Serara BEFORE, you think she would still in this game and come to Susukino even though she knows the guy is in the town? With a scaredy cat like her she would have quit the game long time.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 28, 2013 10:35 PM

Oct 28, 2013 10:55 PM

> You don't need to add the infor when and where did she got caught, they forced her to add Demi's friend list, people getting killed everywhere and stuff. Then how she made an escape and got away

Evidence that she got caught? Where? If you could not provide any evidence that she was caught (and hence was forced to let Demi add her name to his friend's list), then my theory holds as much validity as yours.

> Serara is at level 19. She's new to the game, she's shy and easy to afraid. She is not naive as much as you think to get a person, who involved with the guild doing bad things, on her friend list.

Well she looks pretty naive and soft person from what we saw her so far. Saying she is not naive as much as I think is just a speculation on your side.

> How did she know about them if she was naive as you think? The guy obsess about her from the beginning.

If she had been naive, then clearly she would not able to tell he was obsessing over her, no? And once the catastrophe struck, she could have seen a lot of bad things being done by Demi's guild already, not to say the stories Nyanta told her after her escape (and the stories as shown in the anime are already scary enough to make her afraid of Demi and his people).
Modified by symbv, Oct 28, 2013 11:00 PM

Oct 28, 2013 11:03 PM

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned (if not in the anime then in the light novel) that you don't need the other party's approval to add him/her into your friend list, just face-to-face interaction is sufficient, and since there's nothing like a blacklist in this game, it worked out badly for Serara.

Oct 28, 2013 11:20 PM

MagisterArcanum said:
If I remember correctly, it was mentioned (if not in the anime then in the light novel) that you don't need the other party's approval to add him/her into your friend list, just face-to-face interaction is sufficient, and since there's nothing like a blacklist in this game, it worked out badly for Serara.
That makes a lot more sense than Serara being captured and roughed up as a slave. All the Monk needed to do is to look nice for a short while to get her name on the friends list and then showed his true color right afterwards. This would fit well with the incident shown in the anime without adding extraneous details like brutal captivity.

Oct 28, 2013 11:23 PM

If she had been naive, then clearly she would not able to tell he was obsessing over her, no? And once the catastrophe struck, she could have seen a lot of bad things being done by Demi's guild already, not to say the stories Nyanta told her after her escape (and the stories as shown in the anime are already scary enough to make her afraid of Demi and his people).

The anime clearly show that he obsessed over her. If he knew Serara BEFORE then why did he not doing anything to her to catch her attention? Then in this case obsessiveness isn't the right word to use.

When the catastrophe struck, his beast side awoke and he order people to capture Serara. It doesn't sound legit to me, because we wouldn't know his past whether or not he was mr.nice guy like you said(then again, this is just your speculation), or he had been broken already. -> Chances are he was that bad even before the catastrophe struck are higher than mr nice guy turned into a nasty guy after the apocalypse day.

MagisterArcanum said:

This sounds good then.

Oct 28, 2013 11:30 PM

Takana_no_Hana said:
The anime clearly show that he obsessed over her. If he knew Serara BEFORE then why did he not doing anything to her to catch her attention? Then in this case obsessiveness isn't the right word to use.
Did I ever say that I disagree that he is obsessed over her? What I am saying is he might have got Serara on his friend list back in some time before her current visit. It is entire possible that obsession developed over time. He could have got her on his friend list and then she went back to Akiba and then he started to think more and more about her so when she appeared again in Susukino he just has to get her.

Takana_no_Hana said:
When the catastrophe struck, his beast side awoke and he order people to capture Serara. It doesn't sound legit to me, because we wouldn't know his past whether or not he was mr.nice guy like you said(then again, this is just your speculation), or he had been broken already. -> Chances are he was that bad even before the catastrophe struck are higher than mr nice guy turned into a nasty guy after the apocalypse day.
Entirely legit to me. In fact I think it is entirely understandable and natural development. Note I have never said he IS a nice guy, just that he might not have been as tyrannical and violent as now, not that he was never a violent guy. And all he needed was the ability to look and sound nice, even for a short period of time, to dupe Serara into agreeing with having her name on his friend's list (assuming being on friend list requires the other side's permission).

Saying I call Monk mr.nice guy shows you did not read my comments closely or carefully.

Oct 29, 2013 12:03 AM

Still, doesnt change that he has his bad sides already, and no matter how naive Serara is, she is not an idiot or stupid enough just to add the monk into her friend list when she meets him, or not able to realize the monk's bad side.

She's a shy type, she doesn't randomly adding people cause they send her friend request. Or at least she doesn't feel like the type following people around cause of that naive trait which you mentioned. And why did you think she is naive in the first place? She was just a shy type and that's all. She likes the cat because he saved her from bad people -> not hard to figure out.

Furthermore, I do not believe the monk would be able to hide his nature of a bad person just to be able to "make friend" with Serara. He's not this type which was proven through his speaking style and action in the latest episode. He's easy to be provoked when fighting against the cat and Shiroe -> violence is his true nature. He's bad with words. All of the above proved that Serara would NOT add him even if the catatrosphe didn't happen and the two didnt meet.

Then again, this already negates the possibility of Serara and the monk knowing each other before.
It is closer to my theory was that the monk has her name on friend list when she arrived at Susukino(not before). And the two do not know each other before hand.
Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 29, 2013 12:18 AM

Oct 29, 2013 2:36 AM

Hmm. I'm not sure.

EP4:
Demikas: "It's been a long time, Serara. You didn't think you could disobey me and get away with it, did you? If you come back now, I'll forgive you."

Maybe that translation is not completely correct, but to me it would indicate some events in the past.

And I could be wrong here, but I think I remember him saying something about Serara being a traitor. Didn't find it now, but maybe it was at the end of EP3.

Oct 29, 2013 3:07 AM
if you go by mmorpg rules.... and i were a lvl 19 nub and some max level guy added me... HELL YEAH GOLD PLES NEED MOUNT HALP DUNGEON PLS STUCK OUR TANK LEFT etc etc