Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 16, 2009 5:59 PM

Oct 2008
Ok, so this is a totally random post due to my own curiosity on the matter; but where do you guys stand on the grossly overrated debacle that is 'Vampire Knight'?

Yep, I'm mixing it up... Or not, really...
I'm just actually this honestly intrigued as to why anyone likes the show/characters...

My best friend of about 4 years fell in love with the whole VK deal and told me I MUST watch it.. Upon doing so; I found it to be one of the worst series' I have ever seen either anime-wise or anything else (and do bear in mind when you read this, that I have watched a hell of a lot of Hollyoaks *watches the referance fly over the heads of anyone who's not British*) ...

*ahem* ...

Apologies for the vague digression.. My main point though, is this:
What IS it's allure to the seemingly large fanbase it has?
What do people actually enjoy about it?
Why oh WHY does it get such praise?!

Also, I'd love to know if those who watch and enjoy it are into Vampires and related media in general, or just bishies with fangs... lol.

So, yeah.. Opinions? comments? random ranting? Annnnything at all? (*smirk*)

The club seems a little quiet at the moment, and there's nothing like a bit of debate to get things going ;)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 17, 2009 7:14 AM

Jun 2008
I'm not really that interested in Vampire media in general (I only have two other series that even have Vampires in them), but I really enjoy Vampire Knight for some reason... If I had to say why, I guess it'd be that I found the story behind it interesting. They kept going into more detail about what happened before the Vampire Knight started (like about the pasts of the characters), and after a while I was dying to know what really happened. The romance is good at some parts, but it's not what's really keeping me tied to the series.
Feb 18, 2009 7:06 AM

May 2008
Well to be honest i didnt liked it at start aswell, a classmate recommended me Vampire Knight and told me to watch it even tho it wasnt really my thing...so i watched it and it became interesting because it does have some mystery in it. Some characters are really awesome like Zero and Aidou but some i really hate like Kaname for example...

The reason i like it is mostly because of the characters i think and the story gets better then you move on to the end of the first season, to bad i couldnt watch season 2 since i cant find decent torrents with good subs to download from.

Feb 18, 2009 4:23 PM

Oct 2008
Haruhi_Kirby said:
I'm not really that interested in Vampire media in general (I only have two other series that even have Vampires in them), but I really enjoy Vampire Knight for some reason... If I had to say why, I guess it'd be that I found the story behind it interesting. They kept going into more detail about what happened before the Vampire Knight started (like about the pasts of the characters), and after a while I was dying to know what really happened.

Ah, well I've had a vamp fixation myself since I first came across a somewhat battered copy of Interview with the Vampire a decade or more ago, hence my quibbling on anything fang related I spose lol. I found I only got interested in the backstory during VK:Guilty though, and then they ruined it with an overrated and horribly cliched conclusion. I shant write any more for sake of spoilage, but yeah, it was a good premise, I'll give it that. I just thought it failed to deliver.

-Haruki said:
Well to be honest i didnt liked it at start aswell, a classmate recommended me Vampire Knight and told me to watch it even tho it wasnt really my thing...so i watched it and it became interesting because it does have some mystery in it. Some characters are really awesome like Zero and Aidou but some i really hate like Kaname for example...

Fairplay, I will concur that Zero is a bit fabulous in his own sulky way lol. If you do streaming at all, OtakuCenter is where my friend and I watched the 2nd season (as far as I recall..) and it seemed ok, quality wise. It died on its ass storywise though lol.
As for Mystery, Higurashi (the 2nd season in particular) was one of my first in such a grouping and everything seems to kinda pale in comparrison since then lol
If you've not watched it yet and like Mystery though, I urge you to. It's damn awesome in a ... ... ... WTF? capacity, hehe (^_^)

Feb 18, 2009 7:09 PM

Oct 2008
OK, I had to reply to this thread.

I fell in love with VK and told my best friend of about 4 years that she MUST watch it. Upon doing so I found out that she thought it to be one of the worst series ever made and even compared it to Hollyoaks. (which is wank btw.)

To answer your question vanilla dragon:
Allure of the fanbase: Zero is hot.
People enjoy watching the will they/won't they aspect of Zero pushing Yukki up against a wall from behind, which even you said was hot.
It gets praise because the fangirls inside us all want to watch the love triangle play out between yuki, zero and kaname. Plus Aidou and Shiki, although getting very little screen time are made of win. Oooh and the chairman and hot eyepatch man are also fairly lulzworthy.

However, this all refers to VK opposed to VKG, which to me was pretty much made of fail. Even I rolled my eyes at the bit where it turned out that Yuki is really a pureblood princess who's brother is Kaname but she's gonna marry him anyway. The second series to me was made of fail. It lost all of the love triangle appeal and the hot scenes of Zero necking on with yuki. I admit at the time I might have over sold it a little as I was all caught up in it, but I do stand by my decision to like the first series and hate the second one with a fiery passion.

The second series did have some good moments and the first half was shaping it, but it fell flat for me.

Do any other VK fans feel the same about the second season?

(Love you SVD)
Feb 18, 2009 7:16 PM

Oct 2008
bluebrainfreezy said:
OK, I had to reply to this thread.

I fell in love with VK and told my best friend of about 4 years that she MUST watch it. Upon doing so I found out that she thought it to be one of the worst series ever made and even compared it to Hollyoaks. (which is wank btw.)

To answer your question vanilla dragon:
Allure of the fanbase: Zero is hot.
People enjoy watching the will they/won't they aspect of Zero pushing Yukki up against a wall from behind, which even you said was hot.
It gets praise because the fangirls inside us all want to watch the love triangle play out between yuki, zero and kaname. Plus Aidou and Shiki, although getting very little screen time are made of win. Oooh and the chairman and hot eyepatch man are also fairly lulzworthy.

However, this all refers to VK opposed to VKG, which to me was pretty much made of fail. Even I rolled my eyes at the bit where it turned out that Yuki is really a pureblood princess who's brother is Kaname but she's gonna marry him anyway. The second series to me was made of fail. It lost all of the love triangle appeal and the hot scenes of Zero necking on with yuki. I admit at the time I might have over sold it a little as I was all caught up in it, but I do stand by my decision to like the first series and hate the second one with a fiery passion.

The second series did have some good moments and the first half was shaping it, but it fell flat for me.

Do any other VK fans feel the same about the second season?

(Love you SVD)

Duuuude, don't diss the 'Oaks! Its a bloody institution for anyone as old as us :p Shame on you!!! Shaaaame!

*ahem* Ok, so.. Hot eyepatch man was RAD! You know my opinion on him :p
As for the Yuuki thing, that was before she became THE most annoying character in the history of ANYTHING! lol. Besides, it wasnt hotter than the Zero/Kaname moment.. I'm sure YOU admitted that too as memory serves :p lol!

Second series, for me, could have made the first one make a little more sense and be less lame, if it hadn;t screwed the entire thing up with the ass-end of all things plot-like.. Still, Meh.. We've had this conversation far too many times already lol.

((XX SCB))

EDIT:: And no on the love triangle: it got boring shortly into its run :p

Feb 18, 2009 8:48 PM

Jun 2008
To be honest, I thought the plot twist where Yuuki turns out to be not only a vampire but Kaname's pureblood sister was pretty cool. Although I already knew about it from the manga, so I guess I knew what to expect. I'm not really sure about where I stand on the whole love triangle though... Although love is kinda wierd since they're siblings I felt it was sort of right that Yuuki and Kaname ended up together in the end being family and all. Yet I thought it kind of sucks that Yuuki can't be friends or even aquaintences (much less lovers) with Zero anymore, as (after finding out she's a vampire) he's bound to hate Yuuki no matter what. After regaining her memories and powers as a vampire, Yuuki also stopped leading the "fake life" she was living at school, which makes me wonder what will happen to her friend (whose name eludes me at the moment) as she'll probably never get to see Yuuki again...
Feb 18, 2009 9:13 PM

Oct 2008
Haruhi_Kirby said:
To be honest, I thought the plot twist where Yuuki turns out to be not only a vampire but Kaname's pureblood sister was pretty cool.

Dude.... It was like one of those stories where the end line is "Then she woke up: it had all been a dream!" *eye roll* lol

It was horrific.... And kinda obvious as far as plot 'twists' go. It wasn't so much twist-like as utterly mauled..

The way both her and Zero dealt with it seemed so horribly OOC as well in a way, it was just a sudden 'Ok, fine, I'll kill you one day then' with no real qualms.. Bleugh...... lol

Yay for debate though :p hehe

Feb 19, 2009 6:47 AM

Jun 2008
Pyxx said:
Dude.... It was like one of those stories where the end line is "Then she woke up: it had all been a dream!" *eye roll* lol

It was horrific.... And kinda obvious as far as plot 'twists' go. It wasn't so much twist-like as utterly mauled..

The way both her and Zero dealt with it seemed so horribly OOC as well in a way, it was just a sudden 'Ok, fine, I'll kill you one day then' with no real qualms.. Bleugh...... lol

Yay for debate though :p hehe

Now that I think about it I knew about it (as in Yuuki's a vampire) before I even read the manga thanks to reading the forum of one of the scanlation sites. And actually, it didn't even seem like they were going to reveal something weird like that until I finally got to that point in the story.

Hehe, everyone IS entitled to their own opinion... I mean, how awesome would it be to find out you were a vampire (or some other supernatural creature)? Especially considering how vampires seem to have super powers (like Aidou can freeze stuff) in Vampire Knight. Actually, now that I'm on that topic, what do you think about how vampires are portrayed in the series? I remember someone saying that vampires weren't shown how they traditionally were... like the weird powers for one thing.
Jun 11, 2009 4:03 AM

Mar 2007
The story is good: A girl is is almost killed by a Level E vampire but Kaname saves her and she dosen't have any memory before that incident. Then a love triangel is starting and her best friend is slowly tranfoming to a level E psyko vampire.

So my personal opinion is that: the story is relly intressingt.

But i don't like that the vampires is taking blood pills, that they have this super power vampires that can throw fire and stuff like that, that thing about prue bloods is in love with their siblings and that Kaname is been super gay.
Instagram: Luzifurr
Jun 23, 2009 9:04 AM

May 2009
I loved it. When i first found it I was really bored and couldn't find any other animes to watch I didn't think it would be a good one when i first read about it but with nothing better to do i decided to watch it. It was romance which was good cause love romance but anyways it drew me in from the begging when Yuki is a child. The complex relationships between Yuki, kaname, and Zero held my interest. I wanted her to get together with Kaname but i was never sure she would.
The whole mystery about who she was and why she lost her memories kept me glued to the screne. Then finding out who she was and why she had lost her memory was a new spin to the story.
Angels are the symbol of two loving hearts. So gentle, so sexy & beautiful

Jul 30, 2009 12:30 PM

Jul 2009
I think what really draws people into it are the amazingly hot characters. The storyline also hooks you in and the twists have you wanting to watch more. But I think most of the fanbase is girls for the obvious reasons. Thank you

~Kiira-chan~
This is not a signature
I promise
Sep 13, 2009 8:17 PM

May 2009
kiiratanaka said:
I think what really draws people into it are the amazingly hot characters. The storyline also hooks you in and the twists have you wanting to watch more. But I think most of the fanbase is girls for the obvious reasons. Thank you

Exactly what I was going to say:)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Episode 0 (Intro of Club Game)

Deleted1234 - May 13, 2009

3 by kiiratanaka »»
Dec 29, 2009 9:04 AM

» Japanese music

Deleted1234 - Feb 12, 2009

14 by kiiratanaka »»
Dec 29, 2009 9:00 AM

» Models/ Figurines/Anime Models/Anime Figurines

Deleted1234 - Feb 8, 2009

10 by kiiratanaka »»
Dec 29, 2009 8:58 AM

Sticky: » Podcast Suggestions

Deleted1234 - May 13, 2009

20 by XxHarimaxX »»
Jun 11, 2009 1:35 AM

Sticky: » Episode 2

Deleted1234 - Jun 8, 2009

6 by doctor »»
Jun 10, 2009 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.