Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2014 10:21 AM

Aug 2013
Was a good episode, nice seeing what happened to Kugel exactly when he landed on Earth. Been awhile since I seen the original series so certain parts were a little hard for me to piece together when trying to link it back. I can't wait till the new OVA now though!
Apr 19, 2014 2:47 AM

Feb 2013
This was a awesome episode. I liked Kugel in the beginning but then at the end I disliked him.
May 17, 2014 2:30 AM

Jun 2011
I have always wondered, why must those characters be female? Was there another reason other than just showing their boobs and cleavage? Other than to make the "protagonist of the episode" loves her, romantically or not? Ridget, leader of Gargantia, Bellows, leader of the salvage team, Rackage, leader of the pirates, and we have old men around, we rarely even got any old women, whut? oh shit girls are for the fanservices so if they are not young, they have no value to be on screen
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 21, 2014 3:17 PM

Oct 2013
good episode
dam y wasn't this in the story ?????
[/quote]
Aug 24, 2014 1:46 AM

Sep 2012
Cool, I really wanted to know how Kugel died.
Aww Linaria :(
Nov 3, 2014 5:44 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode veeery more interesting than the previous one, we reconstruct the missing steps in the history and the various roles in "competition to commit a crime." LOL
Excellent drawings and animations, a little less directing and screenplay.
Too bad that all the new characters have only one "step" in the story.
I can not wait to see the next OVA series TV.
Too bad it did not do an anime with a larger number of episodes, I would have liked a lot more!
Nov 13, 2014 7:02 AM

Jul 2012
dem code geass vibes...

this entire show should have gotten a two cour and included these two episodes. would have been muchhhhhhhhhhhh better.
Jul 10, 2015 5:40 PM

Jan 2011
Amazing how they managed to clear most if not all things up regarding what happend to Kugel.

They already had all that symbolism, it was already pretty much a cult, and he simply took it over. Then he was "brainwashed" by Striker, it took a dark turn, and seeing how he was sick, it's easy to see that soon he would no longer leave Striker at all etc.

One question is why Chamber didn't recognize Earth though. Striker was able to immediately confirm it while on approach, while Chamber took weeks on the planet. While it might be more difficult from the surface compared to the orbit, Chamber obviously also had an orbital approach etc. Was he disabled somehow? Or are Strikers databases more complete, given that it's both the superior model and is piloted by a colonel instead of a lieutenant.

If the time line is *exactly* the same, they both got hurled to Earth by the closing wormhole thingy, that would make sense. If Kugel arrived earlier it's a bit weird how both arrived on Earth.
Jul 15, 2015 5:14 PM

Jun 2010
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - John Dalberg-Acton
TheLastKing360Jul 15, 2015 5:17 PM
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Nov 9, 2015 11:02 PM

Jan 2015
NwAurion said:
[...]
One question is why Chamber didn't recognize Earth though. Striker was able to immediately confirm it while on approach, while Chamber took weeks on the planet. While it might be more difficult from the surface compared to the orbit, Chamber obviously also had an orbital approach etc. Was he disabled somehow? Or are Strikers databases more complete, given that it's both the superior model and is piloted by a colonel instead of a lieutenant.

If the time line is *exactly* the same, they both got hurled to Earth by the closing wormhole thingy, that would make sense. If Kugel arrived earlier it's a bit weird how both arrived on Earth.
They arrived at the same time, I dare to affirm, just that Ledo was sleeping for several months in the bottom of the ocean before being snatched by Bellows and her crew; it is likely Ledo had a more violent trip and Chamber shutdown to protect him and appeared in a completely different set of coordinates than Kugel, then was dragged to earth by gravity. Then Chamber revived once Pinion and his crew used their tools to break it into pieces but he was inside the warehouse.
blackbishopNov 9, 2015 11:05 PM
Dec 7, 2015 3:13 PM

Feb 2013
Now this is what specials are for, filling in some additional information. It was nice to see background on Kugel.
Mar 18, 2016 2:37 PM
May 2010
I actually prefer to have it in a special, as it would have spoiled the surprise ending of the original broadcast. Though I'm glad to see how it turned out in the end.

I like how striker ended up perverting the thought of having those whom were sick with illness commit ritual suicide for the benefit of the fleet. (In such an enclosed environment as a fleet, it's difficult to prevent the spread of airborne viruses after all). Although it's not known if the disease was still around when that fleet encountered that of Gargantia, although I assume that Kugel was the last one with the disease or was among the last as Striker most likely got rid of the rest.
Viper_607Mar 18, 2016 2:47 PM
Aug 26, 2016 5:05 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Gorim said:
Way better than previous episode. Like Stark mentioned a lot more intense episode with a good ending. I like it that they left it there. It was nice to know more about Kugel he was one of the most interesting characters that they told nothing about in the actual series.

Overall feeling was great, I liked the more serious tone it did. I.G. did nice job on animation.

You got it right, I felt bored seeing episode 1, but now this one was soo interesting from the beggining, with all this context to Kugel, made him such a more likeable character. Outcome was expected, since he was left alone with no one to guide him anymore other than a AI that uses logics and shits on human emotions!
Like how he first said he would do stuff differently than of the galacty fleet, and striker keeping pestering him about logic and weak should die...
Mar 27, 2017 2:13 PM

Aug 2015
The second episode was quite good. Really paints Kugel as a tragic hero.
May 25, 2017 8:36 AM

Apr 2009
JafriZin said:
STILL NO answers regarding my last question?! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
They died happily ever after.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2017 12:09 AM
May 2012
ezaya said:
They died happily ever after.

I know this is kinda late reply when it comes to Suisei no gargantia but I don't know why it really boil me around till it left me speechless.

More like 'they died miserably ever after' to me.
Jul 16, 2017 1:35 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Totally forgot about this weird cult. Although I liked the story, I felt a little detached from it all since I've seen the original a couple years back.
Sep 29, 2017 1:34 PM
Aug 2014
you either die a hero or you live long enough to see your loli dies then you'll become the villian.
nice touch the two high priestesses are the remaining sisters.
Jan 1, 2018 6:37 AM
Apr 2016
The death will always come to something that live, why he can't realize that
Mar 12, 2018 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
Lots of parallels between Kugel's descent into madness and assumed Godhood and that of Kurtz from Apocalypse Now (and the original novel, Heart of Darkness).

Great episode!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 22, 2018 5:29 AM

Apr 2013
So Kugel was on the wrong path as well and Striker just continued his work after all.
Jun 10, 2019 6:12 AM

Feb 2014
Klugel was forced to serve as the leader only to fulfill his promise with Linaria.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 5, 2023 6:47 PM

May 2013
Bit of an oddball episode for me.  It was good to get the backstory of Colonel Kugel and what happened when he arrived on Earth, and also explaining where the 'cult' he founded had originated from.

Pretty big coincidence he just happened to stumble upon pirates who worship 'gods' (though they prefer the sea variety) and the one person he helped worshipped a 'sky god'.

One thing I found interesting was how Kugel initially seemed to be going down the same path as Ledo in terms of the conflict of his Alliance training and the situation on Earth, albeit probably from a more pragmatic angle - when Stirker first suggests the weak should be eliminated, Kugel promptly overrules the mecha by pointing out that with no contact with the Alliance and the possibility of being permanently stranded on Earth they need to be able to gain allies and work with what they have.  However when Linaria dies he abruptly switches to full on 'I am a God, for the glory of the Alliance follow me!' and reverts back really quickly to full Alliance doctrine.  I know it needed to be done to line up with the main series but I found his mood shift really abrupt there.

(I wonder how differently things would have turned out if Linaria had not died?)

Overall a good episode for providing some backstory to the main series.
XenoseekerAug 5, 2023 6:51 PM
SQ5 said:
Bea is dead. In an alternate future she would've borne your son. In the future past of Space Quest 4, your son would've saved your life. But she didn't, so he couldn't -- therefore you aren't.
- Space Quest 5 death scene
Oct 30, 2023 3:08 AM
Aug 2023
I really liked the tone of this episode more than the main series. The main series started out like this, but devolved after the Empress/Lobster attack. While I enjoyed the main series, I can't help but wonder if I'd enjoyed it more if the main series followed Kugel instead. I think I'd rather watch a whole season of what this episode covered rather than Ledo pouting because he can't find work, Amy and her friends crushing on him, the BBQ, and other pretty inconsequential stuff. One thing this episode didn't have was all the stupid flip-floppy moments like "can't let Ledo kill the pirates again, even though they're coming for blood. Rather have Gargantia suffer casualties and waste tons of resources", or "Ledo just kidnaps Amy in the first episode which Chamber thinks is illogical as it provokes Gargantia to hostility, but then Chamber recommends to destroy Gargantia in response but Ledo then thinks that's illogical". Or the worse which was when Ledo is horrified after killing all the squid people because he found out they're evolved from humans long ago. I guess he was so horrified, he forgot he killed a ton of pirates who were actual humans.

I also can't help but wonder what would have happened if Kugel ended up in Gargantia, and Ledo ended up here with the pirate cult sisters instead. It might have ended up better that way, Kugel didn't do anything foolishly aggressive for no reason. He wouldn't have kidnapped Amy, nor vaporized all the pirates. Kugel would have negotiated with the leaders of Gargantia way better. Whereas Ledo probably would have got suckered by the eldest cult pirate sister, and backstabbed due to his naivety. It would have been hilarious to watch Ledo nonchalantly carving his squid-tooth flute while everybody was dying of disease around him.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Specials Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2013

74 by Xenoseeker »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:46 PM

» Specials or OVAs?

skualninja - Jan 1, 2014

2 by Ckan »»
Jan 6, 2014 5:38 AM

» Preview Video!

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2013

5 by tsubasalover »»
Jul 30, 2013 11:38 PM

» Preview Images

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2013

3 by Stark700 »»
Jul 18, 2013 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.