Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Oct 24, 2013 1:40 AM

While the story for this show seems pretty straight forward, the fact that it's going to be 26 episodes, and was made by Imaishi/Nakashima, could mean there's is going to be a lot more content coming our way. People have started to speculate, so I hope we can share our respective insights in this thread. Keep in mind the theories should be as grounded as possible in objective material delivered during the episodes.

What follows is based on the first three episodes.

Facts:
- the importance of verticality: allows the oppostion between two worlds. In Dead Leaves normal/anormal, in TTGL bounded/unbounded, in PSG Daten City/Heaven/Hell.
- Kamui literaly "divine garnment"
- the walls around the school in KLK look like the wings of a seraph (like on top of the Ark of the Covenant)
- the living fiber is alive
- huge contraption with chains in the school courtyard

Interpretation:
In the school basement, there is an emprisoned god monster from which the living fiber is harvested. Matoi, who knew how to produce kamui, likely knew about this creature, which somehow lead to his silencing. While we're at it let's assume the scissors are also linked to the creature.
Modified by EratiK, Nov 30, 2013 12:13 AM

Oct 25, 2013 4:52 PM
I like this theory. I have a weird feeling the warning to Satsuki about wearing that suit has more to it as well. We'll see.

Oct 26, 2013 2:52 AM

where did those speculations come from?
can you maybe link gifs of the facts
the walls around the school in KLK look like the wings of a seraph (like on top of the Ark of the Covenant)

Also i dont quite get how you came up with the imprisoned monster

Oct 26, 2013 3:22 AM

FrozenRemains said:
where did those speculations come from?
- the walls around the school in KLK look like the wings of a seraph (like on top of the Ark of the Covenant)
Also i dont quite get how you came up with the imprisoned monster
For the walls I'm refering to the indentations "making" the front gate. You can see them in every episode.
The contraption can be seen in ep 1, around the 8th minute.
The academy sewing club makes new uniforms and is still trying to recreate a kamui (ep 2), this means they have access to living fibers. It's more likely the source is right here and not elsewhere.

After watching episode 4, we had a better look at the school, so I now think the "front gates" look like hands, not wings. In ep 4, we can also see the base of the tower atop which Satsuki is always standing, and it kind of looks like eyes.

New interpretation:
The school building is something like a giant robot (like the Spiral King HQ in TTGL). Not sure how this is connected to the living fiber source yet.
Modified by EratiK, Oct 26, 2013 3:35 AM

Nov 14, 2013 6:20 PM
I like your concept, it makes some sense. I imagine the 1st course will be surrounding Honnouji Academy, then we will move out of there into the full out world with life fibers somehow, probably in relation to Satsuki's parents going on a war with troops with life fibers. Ryuko will fight some of the new Life Fiber army where members of Nudist Beach will die from this. Ryuko will then return to the Academy where she searchs for the Life Fiber source(aka the school). And there someone(probably Satsuki or her mom) will lead Ryuko down there, and try to make her join them. Ryuko declines, fight person who tried to make her change sides, then decides to release Life Fiber monster in an act of straight up anger. Ryuko somehow defeats it, then Senketsu will die(I feel like he will if this is true). If I'm right about this whole thing, they had best make us all LOVE members of Nudist Beach and Senketsu A LOT more. I still don't feel the love for Senketsu.

Nov 14, 2013 6:33 PM

In episode 6, life fibers are delivered to the school, so the source of the life fibers is definitely out of the school. As the goods delivered look manufactured, we can even suppose two sources, one for the raw good, one for its place of transformation.

But in a way I think you're right: the story is bound to explore the past of the parents at some point, since Matoi father was in Nudist Beach, while Satsuki's mother has clearly been fighting against it (still in episode 6). Also looking forward to Tsumugu's girl backstory.

Nov 14, 2013 7:32 PM

EratiK said:
But in a way I think you're right: the story is bound to explore the past of the parents at some point, since Matoi father was in Nudist Beach, while Satsuki's mother has clearly been fighting against it (still in episode 6). Also looking forward to Tsumugu's girl backstory.

Ryuuko and Satsuki are actually sisters!!! Mother killed the father!
I'll be disappointed if they actually pulled off something as cliche as that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 29, 2013 1:48 AM

Since this looks like a general speculation thread, I'll post my general speculation as of EP9.

Reposting my commentary in this thread because it's relevant...
Virtual_BS said:
My prediction for what is to come:

UPDATE:
Virtual_BS said:
This is purely speculation rather than a spoiler, but with the possibility of it turning out like this, you may want to stop reading if you are sensitive to spoilers and want to remain utterly clueless of what is to come.
...for what has been read cannot be un-read...
Virtual_BS said:
My Original prediction (EP9):
Virtual_BS said:
Update (EP10):
Virtual_BS said:
Update (EP11):
Virtual_BS said:
Update (EP12): [NEW]
Modified by Nyaa, Dec 20, 2013 10:11 PM

Nov 30, 2013 12:09 AM

Virtual_BS said:
Since this looks like a general speculation thread, I'll post my general speculation as of EP9.
It isn't, this thread is about relying on evidence/hints found in the show. Excessive extrapolations are inappropriate. In this respect, I made the OP clearer.
Modified by EratiK, Nov 30, 2013 12:15 AM

Dec 1, 2013 7:56 PM

Don't know how relevant this is, but I read something in this blog pertaining the four Elites: https://dataportdoll.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/kill-la-kill-episode-8/#more-486

They are interestingly related to the four monkeys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

Sanegayama is "see no evil" (blindfold)

Jakuruze is "hear no evil" (music)

Inumuta is "speak no evil" (muffler)

and finally Gamagoori is "do no evil" (bondage)

Don't know if this symbolism is relevant to the plot, but nevertheless it is very clever. Kill la Kill has quite some depth for what some might call a "stupid fanservice show."
Powerful eyebrows.

Dec 2, 2013 9:49 AM
does anyone else got the theory that sengetsu is actually ryoko's father or am I just weird

Dec 2, 2013 10:27 AM
aki3chan said:
does anyone else got the theory that sengetsu is actually ryoko's father or am I just weird

Yea it's one of the wild theories. I don't think it will be the case though.

http://postimg.org/image/3wt6ybohf/

The big chains connected to the school like said by others indicate that something will happen with the building. Maybe it's a huge sleeping kamui or sumthing. It does look like a sailor uniform.

Dec 2, 2013 10:44 AM

migohunter said:
Don't know how relevant this is, but I read something in this blog pertaining the four Elites: https://dataportdoll.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/kill-la-kill-episode-8/#more-486

They are interestingly related to the four monkeys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys
Sanegayama is "see no evil" (blindfold) Jakuruze is "hear no evil" (music) Inumuta is "speak no evil" (muffler) and finally Gamagoori is "do no evil" (bondage)

Don't know if this symbolism is relevant to the plot, but nevertheless it is very clever. Kill la Kill has quite some depth for what some might call a "stupid fanservice show."
Nice. This helps the reflexion on the concept of evil in KLK.

aki3chan said:
I didn't, but it's true Senketsu looks like her father. Maybe the mouse always on his shouler will show up at some point and gives us a hint (like if it recognizes Senketsu or something). The missing link would be before the destruction of the house he finalized the creation of Senketsu which cost him his life. But then, who is Junketsu?
Modified by EratiK, Dec 2, 2013 10:56 AM

Dec 4, 2013 10:28 PM

Not a theory but this preview indicates that Ryuko might fight against Jakuruze and Inumuta in tomorrow's episode! What appears to be an airship definitely has the same color scheme as Jakuruze and equipped with what looks like subwoofers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TcCimFh1dc

Looks like Trigger realized that the pacing might get slogged down if there was only one fight per episode. Looking forward to it!
Powerful eyebrows.

Dec 5, 2013 1:26 AM
Di-Dorval said:
aki3chan said:

Yea it's one of the wild theories. I don't think it will be the case though.

http://postimg.org/image/3wt6ybohf/

The big chains connected to the school like said by others indicate that something will happen with the building. Maybe it's a huge sleeping kamui or sumthing. It does look like a sailor uniform.

Get into the eva Ryoko

Dec 5, 2013 6:27 AM

That may actually happen, as Kiryuuin's mother called her kamui a wedding dress, and Matoi's wearing it too...
Modified by SergioSource, Dec 12, 2013 8:59 PM

Dec 6, 2013 6:42 PM

just like in TTGL sengetsu, is evolving, and as we all saw, the nudist beach is talking about the worst case scenario about sengetsu ( i think its about how sengetsu evolve so fast), in TTGL antispiral is talking about how the world will be doomed if the spirals keeps evolving, and im thinking that it might be the same scenario here in kill la kil.
Darker Than BLACK says that the truth exists beyond the gate.

Steins;Gate says LET'S HACK THE DAMN GATE THEN!

El psy congroo!

its the works of the steins;gate!

Dec 11, 2013 1:33 AM

Who thinks Gamagoori is a nudist beach undercover agent? We know he prefers to sleep in the nude, and he didn't want to wear any clothes in the newest episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 12, 2013 8:40 AM

migohunter said:

Sanegayama is "see no evil" (blindfold)

Jakuruze is "hear no evil" (music)

Inumuta is "speak no evil" (muffler)

and finally Gamagoori is "do no evil" (bondage)

Rather than those monkeys, I have a feeling these four elites are a reference to the four heavenly kings, or devas, of Buddhism.

Jakuzure - Vaisravana - he who hears all

Sanageyama -Virudhaka - he who causes growth

Gamagoori - Dhrtastra - he who upholds the realm

Inumuta - Virupaksa - he who sees all

The four heavenly kings are said to sit on the lower slopes of a mountain, protecting the world from evil, commanding groups of supernatural creatures, and protecting dharma.

The mountain is the school that reaches up like a mountain. The groups of creatures they control are the school organizations they're in charge of. Satsuki represents dharma. Dharma in Buddhism is regarded as a way of life that leads to purity. Her godrobe is even named junketsu, or purity.

I fully expect to see KlK go further with these buddhist concepts as the show progresses. The ultimate goal of dharma is to achieve moksha, liberation from the cycle of life and death. I really don't have any idea what Satsuki plans to do, but I have a feeling the scissor blades have something to do with the achievement of moksha.

Dec 13, 2013 9:37 AM

Warning: LONG POST AHEAD

I think I'll chime on some symbolism that I personally see in this show. I'm not going to come up with some prediction theory of the rest of the plot, because I feel that's honestly moot seeing as you watch a show for the story, trying to guess your own is irrelevant. We'll know what it is when the last episode is over.

I will talk about some visual symbolism though. I read this graphic today which stated that KLK was a show about femininity.

1. That it was about female coming-of-age and something about going through puberty. I honestly think that's baloney. I don't see what the heck this has to do at all with a girl going through puberty. Very farfetched.

2. That it was a commentary on the presentation of women in society/media/anime. This has a little more validity in my opinion. The sexuality in the show is definitely in your face; from the first episode Ryoko puts on a sailor uniform which exposes pretty much her whole body except nipples and vagina. If anything, that could be a tongue in cheek exxageration of the representation of girls in a lot of anime, especially recently. But that's about it. Aside from the uniforms, I see nothing else commenting on women in Japan or in anime or anything else. Just the uniform. So while this may hold some validity, it may just a well be eye-candy for the large number of viewers who the producers know will be piqued by it. I certainly was, I'm not sure I would have gotten through these first 7 episodes without the opportunity to see a half naked Ryoko, but that's just me.

Now as for me my own theory on symbolism. I think this show does make a good amount of commentary, but not particularly on femininity or the like. Instead, I think it makes commentary on Japanese society, specifically on it's topic of work ethic/discipline/subordination/hierarchy etc.

As many of us know, Japan is a country still deeply holding on to it's traditions. Both religiously/ceremoniously as well as socially. Japan is one of the few modern countries which remains practically homogenous in terms of ethnicity. Gaining long-term residency/citizenship to Japan is almost impossible for foreigners; and those that achieve this report a LOT of discrimination from Japanese in general. Japan has a strict and rigid system of social norms which its people follow, this ranges from table manners to honorifics to the workplace to school etc. Those who deviate from the norm, especially outside of the big urban centers, are seen as outcasts, dishonorable etc.

Now, let me say I'm not implying Japan is some type of police state in which you must commit seppuku for forgetting something at home when going to work. Extremes are out the window; but compared to the rest of the world, Japan has some deep social problems emanating from this culture of rigidity, perfection, and most importantly, hierarchy.

Everything in Japan has a hierarchy. Almost militarily. Schools, workplaces, everything to a degree has a hierarchy which is very respected by most Japanese. For example, think of the Asiana flight which crashed not too long ago. Yes, I'm aware the plane and crew is Korean, but this is something in whcih Koreans share with the Japanese. Many experts are saying that a crash could have been avoided if someone other than the top-man would have spoken up or taken unauthorized action to change what was going on. Yet it wasn't done because you simply do not break that chain of command in these countries.

This system is very heavily felt in Japanese schools. In some ways its good: never have I heard of a student backtalking their teacher or hitting them or anything of the sort in Japan. Teachers are a deeply respected figure. In the west the problem is the exact opposite, in which teachers are many times treated like crap by many people, especially students. But it other ways, it is very hard on the children: Japan has some of the most stringent educational standards in the world, and schoolwork and performance is taken extremely seriously. You are expected to be at the top of your game, and when you are not teachers, peers, other parents, etc. even come to the point of harassment. We have all heard stories of the child suicides and adult suicides stemming from overwork and strictness in school and work, many tims brought to that point by harassment.

Here's where this all relates to kill la kill. This show obviously takes place in a setting very strongly hierarchical. Within the school, students are ranked by their stars/uniforms, directly correlated to their performance in whatever they specialize in. The clubs we have witnessed strive for perfection and uniformity; the depiction of students as "clones" to one another is not only a way to reduce the amount of character you need to draw, but also a way to depict the idea that everyone tries to be the same, everyone is a clone which strives ot achieve the academy's (society's) idea of perfection. We once hear Mako's mom talk about the duty of the family member's, her being the housewife, the others being the students. There is obviously a central connection in this show with the idea of uniformity and conformity.

The club presidents all announce themselves with titles prior to every encounter with Ryoko. Their whole existence depends on their status within the school. Ryoko is just Ryoko, some underdog girl with an attitude who's stepping out of line. Omiko Hakodate is not Omiko, she's the tennis club captain, THEN she's Omiko. Get the idea?

Then there's the fact that student's rank within school determines their socioeconomic status outside of school. It's a sort of caste system where the no stars live in the ghetto, while the 3 and 4 stars live in the mansions with a one-way trip to school. This is some direct commentary on class that has been done for the longest time, but I have never seen done in Japan. I can't imagine a famous Japanese movie criticizing the status quo, yet it seems KLK is trying to somewhat do that through symbolism. Japan has had economic troubles for decades now, and although nobody is starving like someone in Africa, there is a large gap in between the welathy and the non wealthy. Many are unemployed and forced to live in internet cafes because they are not worthy enough to hold a job. Seniority is very important in Japan and those who have worked the longest or whom come from prestigious houses, to a certain extent, have the advantage economically. As anywhere else, really. The only way for those in the bottom to move up the ladder is to sit down, shut up, and gain their stars by becoming another clone. Japan has been criticized before for putting a large pressure on students to achieve perfection in school to guarantee them a spot in the higher ranks of employment. While that is true to an extent everywhere (get good grades, get more opportunities), in Japan this is turned to another degree; from kindergarten children are tested on performance to get into the best kindergartens, then the best elementary school, then junior high, high and college. Those that fall out anywhere along that line will not be performing any sort of "professional career". In this same way, the students of the academy are from childhood defined by how well they are looked at in school.

Now let's look at Ryoko. Ryoko is the complete opposite of everyone else. She's defiant, hardheaded, loudmouthed, disrespectful, rebellious, direct, and isn't afraid to take on what everyone else sees as perfect or too difficult to challenge. She's the underdog. Doesn't have a family or home in the city, no friends in school (aside from Mako), and not a single person within the school like her. She challenges the most revered figure of the school, Kiiryuin. While I do see Ryoko as maybe symbolizing that women can be tough, strong, etc. I think more than a woman, she symbolizes that people in general can, through hard work and determination, rise up to the challenges society places on them. Sure, Ryoko could join a club and work her butt off to go up the ranks until she can get somewhat close enough to go after Kiiryuin. But she's not going ot do that. She's going to achieve her goal her way, whether everyone else likes it or not. This goes completely against the whole system I've been talking about in the last paragraphs. I think the writers are trying to give a subtle message to Japan's youth that they can do what they are determined to, with or without the approval of society, and that it won't be easy, they'll get beat down again and again, but they can do it. And they are trying ot give a subtle message to Japan in general that the system has to stop, and it has to soften up for the good of everyone. I think we'll be seeing a lot more in the coming episodes on confirmity and society and rank and all that, and I will be updating this post as I see it; but if you ask me, if this show has any symbolism under the wacky and the in-your-face smut, it's a commentary on Japan's conformist mentality.
Modified by Nakuke, Dec 13, 2013 9:45 AM

Feb 8, 2014 12:37 PM
This is kind of a next episode guess for episode 18, but here's what I thing what would happen in kill la kill ep 18. First a recap satsuki and ragyo decide on the cultural festival at the academy and at the end while ragyo is facing towards matoi and everyone in the bleachers is being consumed by life fibers satsuki backstabs ragyo and rebels against the use of life fibers by using life fibers. My prediction is with evidence of the preview and the opening. I think that ragyo's outfit is designed to heal her sinced ragyo is drenched in her own blood and in the preview she is clean of blood, satsuki then attempts to fight ragyo but nearly fails either ragyo or satsuki beats ryuko in the process, ragyo uses the glowing threads which in theory manipulates people's minds forcing the no-stars and one-stars to fight satsuki and the elite four at her command, nui then confronts the elite four and wins against all 4 members. this is also related to the opening because of the catwalk scene when the camera is showing ragyo, nui and ragyo's assistant and in the backround just beale the chorus shows one stars attempting to fight both satsuki and matoi. Also in the opening is shown in a sword fight after destroying piles of one stars matoi and satsuki which means that satsuki will not be teaming up with nudist beach another group against the use of life fibers except their weapons are lewd less defensive robots and on episode 15 nonon is shown destroying nudist beaches head quarters along with 3/4 members of nudist beach shows that 2 different groups with the same goal taking down the same ruler in the process one group goes down by far here's the least I can get.
Modified by otaki38774, Feb 8, 2014 12:42 PM

Feb 13, 2014 9:39 PM

kickmesign said:
EratiK said:

Ryuuko and Satsuki are actually sisters!!! Mother killed the father!
I'll be disappointed if they actually pulled off something as cliche as that.
sorry me from november

Feb 13, 2014 10:49 PM

^ At least use a spoiler tag.

Feb 14, 2014 1:31 AM
Virtual_BS said:
^ At least use a spoiler tag.

Why? Surely a thread about theories expects you to have seen the latest episode.

Feb 14, 2014 9:29 PM
so is ryuko's dumb hipster highlight made of life fibers?
because if so that's awesome
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot

Feb 21, 2014 10:16 AM

Ragyo Puppeteer Theory - V2
*In Spoiler Below

THEORY FOR EP 19 ONWARDS.

"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To