Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2009 10:38 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Today's Japanese lesson:
なんてことだ! - Nante koto da!
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Mar 1, 2012 10:16 PM
Oct 2011
Awesome episode!
Jul 26, 2015 2:38 AM

Mar 2015
Really liked how it switched to civil life again and showed Shin's struggle.
Nov 22, 2015 4:15 AM

Sep 2014
//edit because spoiler for some versions
MirageeNov 22, 2015 9:22 AM
Aug 21, 2016 9:20 PM

Sep 2013
Really good episode. I feel bad for how Shin's life was destroyed by the greed of his childhood friend!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 25, 2020 12:55 PM

Aug 2012
I adore this OVA series (this is my 4th viewing). The ending to the first movie (episode 2) is such an incredible crescendo for the story up to that point.

Poor poor Shin, stuck in a hell where he feels he doesn't belong he is given one of the few ways out...Death. Or so the guy in charge thinks, in actuality he has a golden opportunity to desert, Shin can go home!. And even that chance came by way of becoming a target for assassination.

Finally he is free! except he is also stranded in the middle of desert. Try as he might his attempts of finding his way home and out of the barren wasteland come up short and it seems that he will succumb to death after all.

Night falls and suddenly he realizes where he is, once again in the jaws of his tormentor. Area 88 has clawed him back into her clutches. Shin can't even find rest from his torture by way of death. So back he goes while the echo (and in English quite good pun) plays through his mind.

"There are only three ways to leave Area 88: Survive three years, pay off a USD 1.5-million contract or you can always try to desert". Well Shin tried the desert and only found himself back where he started.

One of my favourite endings to any Anime ever and well it's not even the actual ending to this OVA (that is actually even better). True Masterpiece imo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler for after episode 3/Movie 2, only click if you've watched all 3 eps or both movies

BlaizeVApr 26, 2020 6:09 AM
Mar 17, 2021 2:16 PM

Aug 2017
Redout truly looks scary o_o

It's pretty surprising that a serious OVA like this doesn't depict blood/gore when people are shot by military aircraft machine guns, lol.

The tactic Micky was describing was also the one he&Shin used in the attack in which Boris died.

What were the Wolves dropping in the water? Some stuff to lessen the weight of a plane?

The cut of a pilot's cockpit getting shot from behind with a zoom-in is reused from ep. 1, I believe.

Deserting in a desert (no pun intended) proved to be futile. Liked the attention to shadows in the end.

P.S. Apparently the US version with the first 2 episodes added together is several minutes shorter and introduces some scenes in a different order lol. The marriage proposal comes before the first 40 minutes are up. Why can't people just leave things intact?
St0rmbladeMar 17, 2021 2:23 PM
Apr 27, 2022 3:23 AM

Nov 2020
HYPE. I don't think I've seen so much drama packed into an episode before. And all of it flows so nicely as well. The cinematography and animation in this episode was on point. I love me some drama but it often gets butchered with no weight to it. In contrast, Area 88 has managed to keep me on the edge of my seat these two episodes and just blew me away with the incredible execution of the second one. Moving on to the final episode.
Oct 16, 2022 12:07 PM
Apr 2020
lololokehia fafiehirh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Area 88 Episode 1 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 14, 2009

14 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Mar 12, 3:44 PM

» This or the TV version?

Status_Effect - Aug 16, 2015

7 by PxHC »»
Jul 1, 2023 3:18 PM

Poll: » Area 88 Episode 3 Discussion

Blackouting - Jul 6, 2012

22 by PxHC »»
Jul 1, 2023 2:16 PM

» Area 88 Ending Thoughts

BlueLobster - Oct 23, 2011

4 by TBSM »»
Dec 27, 2018 5:53 PM

» anyone know the song that plays at the end of OVA 2?

gedata - Jul 18, 2014

1 by gedata »»
Oct 14, 2014 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.