Forum Settings
Forums

What would you do when your friend owes you money but won't pay back?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Read topic title

Oct 20, 2013 7:45 AM
MaffleWaffle said:
A friend of mine owes me money but she wont pay me back, she's always making excuses like saying that she will pay me back the next week. My problem is I'm too nice to do anything other than talk to her properly. So if you're in the same situation. What would you do? Or if you have already experienced it. What did you do?

Tell them they need to pay it back, if they still refuse, they're not a friend. Stop being friends with them.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"

Oct 20, 2013 7:46 AM

Ask for it.

That's about it.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*

Oct 20, 2013 8:05 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:
Tell them they need to pay it back, if they still refuse, they're not a friend. Stop being friends with them.

azzuRe said:
That's one less friend already.

In my situation I would talk it properly and hear his/her reason and set a due date. People take it easy because they feel like you'd be there saving their ass every time they need it, just let them know it all comes with a price. Maybe you should create an interest rate on your loan.
I always did this to my friends, even my own brother, lol. Usually I asked something in return, or borrow something from them as a collateral reminder.

I can't believe there are people like this in the world. Do you two really know what a "friend" is? It is not someone you give 10 dollars and them creates a interest rate just to leech more money from him. If you were a true friend, you would just say "Do you have the money? No? Dude forget the debt, we are friends, I wouldn't be a bitch just because I borrowed you some money"

Oct 20, 2013 8:10 AM

Oct 20, 2013 8:18 AM

lupadim said:
I can't believe there are people like this in the world. Do you two really know what a "friend" is? It is not someone you give 10 dollars and them creates a interest rate just to leech more money from him. If you were a true friend, you would just say "Do you have the money? No? Dude forget the debt, we are friends, I wouldn't be a bitch just because I borrowed you some money"

Could be that you are in a financial situation, and need that money. Yet asking directly for some money can hurt pride, so collecting on a debt is easier.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*

Oct 20, 2013 8:48 AM
Next time don't lend money without an IOU.
The damn media got me dancing to their tune.

Oct 20, 2013 9:29 AM
lupadim said:

Please get banned again, Lupadim. Not paying back a debt is a form of stealing. Friends don't steal from friends.

Oct 20, 2013 10:16 AM

This is a very frustrating experience. When it happened to me I was angry about that and the overall friendship so explained myself then stopped talking to that person.

Oct 20, 2013 10:22 AM

lupadim said:

azzuRe said:

In my situation I would talk it properly and hear his/her reason and set a due date. People take it easy because they feel like you'd be there saving their ass every time they need it, just let them know it all comes with a price. Maybe you should create an interest rate on your loan.
I always did this to my friends, even my own brother, lol. Usually I asked something in return, or borrow something from them as a collateral reminder.

No, I don't ask the interest in the form of money, but rather something that can be gained from it as 'interest'. My definition of friends is someone who would give me back something that I own. If they asking for charity help, they should say it straight from the beginning. A 'friend' that said they will 'borrow' something without the intention to return it back is not a friend.

Elaxer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE

Serve em right eh m8.

Oct 20, 2013 10:25 AM

azzuRe said:
lupadim said:

azzuRe said:

No, I don't ask the interest in the form of money, but rather something that can be gained from it as 'interest'. My definition of friends is someone who would give me back something that I own. If they asking for charity help, they should say it straight from the beginning. A 'friend' that said they will 'borrow' something without the intention to return it back is not a friend.

Not everyone can go to you and humiliate themselves saying "Can you give me charity help?". Also, sometimes they expect to be able to pay you the debt, but they end up not being able to do so.

Oct 20, 2013 10:28 AM

op i dont know how to answer your poll what does read topic title mean what am i supposed to answer

and you there, lupadim, where have you been? where are your threads

and OT: if you want the money back, its kinda difficult bc you dont want to be annoying so just like remind them or something. if that doesnt work just keep asking and get your friends to ask. also depends on the amount of money. if its under $5 just like ignore it. But I mean like just keep nagging them.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 20, 2013 10:39 AM

lupadim said:
azzuRe said:
lupadim said:

azzuRe said:

Not everyone can go to you and humiliate themselves saying "Can you give me charity help?". Also, sometimes they expect to be able to pay you the debt, but they end up not being able to do so.

That is why I said I will talk to them, and it is important to give or negotiate a due date as it will make them remember their promises, or makes them think, is it realistic to borrow an amount of money that you can't even repay one day? I'm doing them a favor as a friend, I might be a bitch about it, but I know some people who ends up borrows money from people only to pay his other debt, or worse if you've borrowed money from the bank. It is like a bad habit.

Oct 20, 2013 10:45 AM

steal it back/force it back

thats if i was owed alot of money and they were choosing not to give it back, if it was like anything less than 20 bucks id let it slide

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 20, 2013 10:46 AM

Asking someone to lend you money is tacky and should avoided. However, if someone is kind enough to offer to lend you money, you should make it a top priority to pay that person back, else you lose your credibility and potentially your friendship with that person.

Basically her morals aren't straight. Now you're at risk of looking like a desperate poorfag while being put in the uncomfortable position of having to ask for money back. A true friend would be considerate enough to not want to put his friend in that situation. Doing so is only taking advantage of the other individual, no matter how you look at it. It's clear that she's FAR from desperate due to the things you mentioned (her spending money willfully instead of paying you back, etc).

Be frank with her. Say that her not paying you back putting a lot of unnecessary stress on your friendship with her (i.e. making you upset), and that you don't think you're unreasonable for feeling that way. If she thinks you're being ridiculous, then tell her to pay her back AND lend you the same (or larger) amount and not pay her back for weeks/months, and ask how she feels. If she's fine with it, cool, you now have a personal bank (although I doubt she will be). If that doesn't work, tell her that if she does not pay you back, you will just have to ask her parents to pay her back, since financial issues should be settled within the family anyway. Most likely, her parents will have a discussion with her since they will probably be disappointed by her actions, and she may repent (assuming they are good/wise parents). She should be aware that lending/borrowing is OK (although, as I mentioned for the sake of maintaining a more healthy relationship, should be avoided) so long as expectations are met within party members. That's why you're having the problem: you're expecting her to pay you back, but she's not holding the same expectation of herself. There arises the problem, as is the case with nearly all disputes. You were kind enough to lend her money and have done nothing wrong. You did a FAVOR for her. Expecting to be paid back as soon as possible is normal.

Oct 20, 2013 10:49 AM

Usually I don't bother with it. I don't give out money expecting them to pay me back all the time. It's more like, "Oh you don't have enough for the movie ticket? It's okay man, I got you." type of thing with my circle.

Now you.
It all depends. You said around $38, right? That's different from five or ten bucks, so it's okay if you ask two or three times. Now it depends on the friend. If you see yourself being friends with the person for a while, then it's no rush. If he or she is simply just an acquaintance, ask when you want to.
If the friend is in a tight situation, then I personally wouldn't bring it up like that. Now it all goes back to you, are you in a situation where you need the money?

Good luck.

Oct 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Gloss said:
Usually I don't bother with it. I don't give out money expecting them to pay me back all the time. It's more like, "Oh you don't have enough for the movie ticket? It's okay man, I got you." type of thing with my circle.

Now you.
It all depends. You said around $38, right? That's different from five or ten bucks, so it's okay if you ask two or three times. Now it depends on the friend. If you see yourself being friends with the person for a while, then it's no rush. If he or she is simply just an acquaintance, ask when you want to.
If the friend is in a tight situation, then I personally wouldn't bring it up like that. Now it all goes back to you, are you in a situation where you need the money?

Good luck.
oh $38 oh woah there freakingg beat that guy up i could buy the jacket i want with that
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Smack the shit outa them.

Oct 20, 2013 11:02 AM

hotstud6969 said:
Gloss said:

Now you.

Good luck.
oh $38 oh woah there freakingg beat that guy up i could buy the jacket i want with that

You know how many chocolate bars I can buy with $38 bro? A LOT.

Oct 20, 2013 11:05 AM
I would try to bring it up as often as possible. Or make up some excuse like 'I need the money to pay for...' e.t.c
I wouldn't lend her money again after this though

Oct 20, 2013 11:11 AM

annoy them daily with it and remember to never lend them money ever again

Oct 20, 2013 1:02 PM

Either toughen up and get serious or drop it. Me personally I only give my friends money when I want to. It's not often and they never ask so there is never any trouble. But one of my friend insists on paying me back but I told her no since her situation is uh not the best.

Oct 20, 2013 3:27 PM

make them buy me stuff equivalent to how much they owe me. if its a large sum then i divide it eg a days lunch followed by some grocery then any stationary

Oct 20, 2013 3:34 PM

It's happened a couple of times.
We... still remember it sometimes. Sometimes we pay back, and when we don't we get it back with something else.
But in the end we forget about it and somehow repay each other.

Hard to explain.

Oct 20, 2013 3:37 PM
drinkbeer said:
if you lend your money to your friend, you will lose both your money and your friend...

This and will always be true.

Oct 21, 2013 6:58 AM

Talk to him/her :P
One day I'll be like Akashi and gain this title "Unbeatable"

“ Since I always win, I'm always right. ”
—Seijūrō Akashi

“ The only one who can beat me, is me. ”
—Daiki Aomine

Oct 21, 2013 7:44 AM

We live in a society where one can't even ask someone to borrow 5 dollars without being taxed with interest rates and eventually losing the friendship with that person.

But not everyone is like this, that is what I believe.

Oct 21, 2013 9:52 AM

I'd ask for them to pay me back normally( a little bit at a time if they can't give it all back at once) and not lend them anything else until they start getting that debt down. Beg, Blackmail, Beating, Stealing and snitching are all overreactions imo.

Oct 21, 2013 10:04 AM

lupadim said:
MaffleWaffle said:
OH MY G-WORD! MONEY, RAGE AND MAL HAVE BLINDED ME!

Well I could still tell her parents or mine and let the adults handle it but isn't it kinda wimpy?

Just read my post.

Fuck your post. And the example of your post isn't even the same shit. But i get that you probably don't have the brains to see the difference. We aren't talking about great inability to pay back due to extreme poor circumstances, we are talking about just lack of willingness.

When you talk with someone and ignores you like that and doesn't give you your money you should get away from such a person. Is not the loss of the money that is the problem here(well except if you are stupid enough to give huge amounts of money) but what such behavior says about such person. It says that is a person with no pride to feel shame for not wanting to be ok about his debts and to a friend, it says he/she's untrustworthy and that they don't really give a shit about your needs or feelings.
Basically they are assholes.

Oct 21, 2013 10:31 AM

Monad said:
lupadim said:
MaffleWaffle said:
OH MY G-WORD! MONEY, RAGE AND MAL HAVE BLINDED ME!

Well I could still tell her parents or mine and let the adults handle it but isn't it kinda wimpy?

Just read my post.

Fuck your post
And the example of your post isn't even the same shit.
But i get that you probably don't have the brains to see the difference.
you your money you should get away from such a person
they don't really give a shit about your needs or feelings.
Basically they are assholes.

Are you at your period?

Oct 21, 2013 10:54 AM

We've had this thread a few times before. My answer is still the same.

The question doesn't apply to me, because no one ever "owes" me money. If a friend forgets their wallet, I'll just buy them food/drinks/whatever. If they return the favour next time (which they do with nearly 100% certainty), then that's cool. If they don't (which probably just means that they forgot), then that's cool too. The amounts I spend on other people are small enough such that I'd be okay with not getting them back.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Oct 21, 2013 11:18 AM
lupadim said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

azzuRe said:

you must be very loaded, or naive.

i think its the latter. but hey, its the internet, who cares?

Oct 21, 2013 11:32 AM

MaffleWaffle said:
A friend of mine owes me money but she wont pay me back, she's always making excuses like saying that she will pay me back the next week. My problem is I'm too nice to do anything other than talk to her properly. So if you're in the same situation. What would you do? Or if you have already experienced it. What did you do?

Here is some advice. Don't let money come between friends. If you want to keep your friends then either you never loan more money than you are willing to lose or you don't loan money to your friends.Both of those options should be easy to do as long as you are not talking about how much money you have.

Oct 21, 2013 11:43 AM
drinkbeer said:
lupadim said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

azzuRe said:

you must be very loaded, or naive.

i think its the latter. but hey, its the internet, who cares?

No, and no.
Though it depends on the amount, I'd cut my losses and move on. Why keep them around so they can steal more someday?

Oct 21, 2013 11:49 AM

If they said they would pay me back and they don't, I simply don't lend them anymore money after that. If it was an amount I couldn't afford to lose, I wouldn't have loaned them it in the first place.

Oct 21, 2013 11:54 AM

I usually let people borrow my money, but they never pay me back, so I usually forget about it.

However, I hardly let people borrow money from me anymore because of that.

Oct 21, 2013 12:28 PM

I don't mind if it's an amount below $5, but if they owe me any amount more than that and never return it, then I'll never lend them money ever again.

Oct 21, 2013 12:32 PM

I don't lend anyone my money

Oct 21, 2013 12:35 PM

It's easier to ask them to treat you to something. The person can feel like they're doing you a favour instead of just giving away money. It's a win-win situation for both.

Oct 21, 2013 12:45 PM

How much we talking?

Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online

Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM

Make her "an offer she can't refuse". With the horse head and everything :)

Oct 21, 2013 4:01 PM

I'd finger her everyday until the debt is paid.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 21, 2013 4:21 PM

Maria_Sama said:

Poking or Fingering?
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online

Oct 21, 2013 4:37 PM

SOExclusive said:
Maria_Sama said:

Poking or Fingering?

You know what Maria_Sama meant

I only lend money to close friends

Oct 22, 2013 3:10 AM

Maria_Sama said:

What if it's a guy?

Oct 22, 2013 3:27 AM
talk to her seriously about it

Oct 22, 2013 3:52 AM

I would persuade 24/7 until she/he pay me back. If she/he won't pay me back, I'll ask what's up to change in a point to do such thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 22, 2013 4:34 AM

Oct 22, 2013 11:58 AM

I don't give a damn if they won't pay for as long as I won't be needing the money. Well if I already need the money, damn them if they won't pay me, I'll get whatever I can for them to compensate. lol
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」

Oct 22, 2013 7:02 PM

Depends how much it is?
I usually don't care that much. I'm not the type to nag or anything like that. I usually just let it go or forget about it. Maybe if a friend owed me like $100+ for whatever reason, I'd probably follow up on that.

I've never really encountered a situation like this before anyhow. My friends and I usually 'shout' (Australian term for 'treat', or 'buy') each other things all the time, there's never really a need to pay back money or anything.

Oct 22, 2013 7:12 PM

threaten to kill them if they dont give it back if they dont kill them
RRRRRRRRRR

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »