Forum Settings
Forums

How come there aren't a lot of black anime protagonists?

New
Oct 18, 2013 10:09 AM

Aug 2013
Before I start, I will say that I google searched this, and I could not find any actual answers. Also, I'm talking about protagonists, not characters.
Now there are a couple of black anime protagonists that I could list:
-Samurai, Afro (Afro Samurai)
-Shion (Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte)
-Michiko, Malandro (Michiko to Hatchin)
-Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Pretty obvious what show)

What I want to know is why there are not a lot of black anime protagonists, I think seeing more of them would be really refreshing for anime in general. I'm not being racist here, but is it because Asians do not know how black people act or something? I'm not sure, but I always wanted to see some shounen battle or harem series with a black protagonist, I think it would be pretty interesting.
ThePimpOct 18, 2013 10:21 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 18, 2013 10:14 AM

Jan 2012
Probably because there are not a lot of black people in Japan, and that's where it's made.
Oct 18, 2013 10:15 AM

Mar 2013
See here for a complete and entertaining if somewhat long winded explanation

http://gaijinchronicles.com/2007/03/01/bobby/
Oct 18, 2013 10:16 AM

Aug 2012
How come there's not a lot of Indian protagonists?
Oct 18, 2013 10:17 AM

Apr 2012
ThePimp said:
-Duke, Togo (Golgo 13)
I'm pretty sure Duke Tougo isn't Black.
EratiKOct 18, 2013 10:25 AM
Oct 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Aug 2013
ReasonDesu said:
Probably because there are not a lot of black people in Japan, and that's where it's made.

If that's the reason, then I find it to be stupid, there are a lot of anime characters of different ethnicities that are well loved in Japan, I don't think population would really affect that.
Oct 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Aug 2010
EratiK said:
I'm pretty sure Duke Tougo isn't black.

Duke's not black lol, he's Japanese.
Oct 18, 2013 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
crosby_87 said:
EratiK said:

Duke's not black lol, he's Japanese.
EratiK said:
ThePimp said:

I just noticed that, my mistake, I google searched it and saw his name there, so I just added it there
MellowJello said:
How come there's not a lot of Indian protagonists?

I don't know, you tell me.
Oct 18, 2013 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
Well Duke has a Japanese name, but one of his alias is Rodriguez, he's probably of mixed race.
EratiKOct 18, 2013 10:31 AM
Oct 18, 2013 10:26 AM

Aug 2010
Well, I'm more surpised of the lack of Canadian in Anime...But seriously, It comes down to a lack of knowledge of Non-Japanese people I'm guessing
Oct 18, 2013 10:28 AM
Jul 2013
Maybe racism! Am Saying maybe, alright, maybe.

Or there isn't enough Black people in japan.
Oct 18, 2013 10:28 AM

Apr 2013
crosby_87 said:
Well, I'm more surpised of the lack of Canadian in Anime...But seriously, It comes down to a lack of knowledge of Non-Japanese people I'm guessing
I've never seen Canada in an anime
Oct 18, 2013 10:29 AM

May 2013
ReasonDesu said:

This, and more white people watch anime than black people, so they have to make it more relatable to the target audience.

Jan 2012
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

If that's the reason, then I find it to be stupid, there are a lot of anime characters of different ethnicities that are well loved in Japan, I don't think population would really affect that.

Then why are there not a lot of Japanese protagonists in western cartoons? or black for that matter.

Oct 2012
That's like asking ''why isn't snow black?''
Oct 18, 2013 10:30 AM

Aug 2010
jsg said:
crosby_87 said:

Main character in Shirokuma Cafe(http://myanimelist.net/anime/12815/Shirokuma_Cafe), is Canadian.
Oct 18, 2013 10:30 AM

Dec 2012
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

Dark_Chaos said:

This, and more white people watch anime than black people, so they have to make it more relatable to the target audience.

lol wut?
Oct 18, 2013 10:31 AM

Apr 2011
jsg said:
crosby_87 said:

In Haruhi, she was told that Ryoko moved to Canada and thought that was ridiculous.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Oct 18, 2013 10:32 AM

Mar 2013
jsg said:
crosby_87 said:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7233/7351797036_dedb527c15_b.jpg

Granted, I don't believe it was explicitly stated in the anime that the old dude is Canadian.
Oct 18, 2013 10:34 AM
Sep 2013
I was just thinking about this like a week ago haha
Oct 18, 2013 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

Dark_Chaos said:

lol wut?

Well how many people in the entire continent of Africa watch anime? Excluding white South Africans and Egyptians/Syrians.

Now compare that to Europe or North America. Brazil has a massive fan base but most if it is concentrated in the South, where the majority are white Brazilians.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 18, 2013 10:37 AM

Jan 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing more black protagonists though. Afros or Rasta dreadlocks are a fucking must though. And so is Samuel L Jacksons muthafuckin voice.

But someone made a good statement already. The lack of black people in Japan means less focus on them.

^^^PS: Don't tell Al Sharpton.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 18, 2013 10:39 AM

May 2013
Maji said:
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

Dark_Chaos said:

lol wut?

Well how many people in the entire continent of Africa watch anime? Excluding white South Africans and Egyptians/Syrians.

Now compare that to Europe or North America. Brazil has a massive fan base but most if it is concentrated in the South, where the majority are white Brazilians.

You get that from an official source, Maji?
Oct 18, 2013 10:39 AM
Jul 2013
Kazzooey said:
I was just thinking about this like a week ago haha
You and me both! srsly.
Oct 18, 2013 10:40 AM

Apr 2013
Anime is made in Japan. Most Japanese aren't black. Is the reason not obvious? There's a reason why most television, literature, and other artistic mediums depict their protagonists as humans, not aliens, cockroaches, or dogs.
Oct 18, 2013 10:41 AM

Dec 2012
MajinSaga said:
[

How is that relevant at all? The main audience for anime is the Japanese population, and unless Japanese people suddenly turned white then his statement doesn't make any sense.
Oct 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Jan 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Maji said:
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

Dark_Chaos said:

lol wut?

You get that from an official source, Maji?

Ratings and shit. Convention & event attendance. I just noticed cities like Sao Paulo get more attention than cities like Rio.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 18, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2012
jsg said:
crosby_87 said:

http://tinyurl.com/lzuzme9
Oct 18, 2013 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

(I said different ethniticies just to let you know)
-Lelouch vi Britannia (Code Geass) (British)
-Ed (Cowboy Bebop) (Black)
-Yoruichi Shihoin (Bleach) (Black)
-Saber (Fate/Stay night) (British)
-Aladdin (Magi) (Arabian)
That's a few I could come up with off the top of my head
Oct 18, 2013 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
Because Japan is 98.5% Japanese people? Ethnically.

How much of the remaining 1.5% is white? Most of it.

Black people are just not in Japan.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Oct 18, 2013 10:53 AM

Feb 2012
crosby_87 said:

I thought the entirety of Akage no Anne took place in Canada.
Oct 18, 2013 10:58 AM

Mar 2013
Slayermaster said:
Because Japan is 98.5% Japanese people? Ethnically.

How much of the remaining 1.5% is white? Most of it.

Black people are just not in Japan.

Uhh, most of the remaining 1.5% are koreans or chinese. A very small portion of that 1.5% is white, and an even smaller portion is black.
Oct 18, 2013 11:05 AM

Aug 2010
mecharobot said:
crosby_87 said:

I thought the entirety of Akage no Anne took place in Canada.

Yes, you are right. The story took place in Canada. Missed that one...surprised of the popularity of the book in japan.
Oct 18, 2013 11:11 AM

Nov 2012
ReasonDesu said:

^Exactly
Oct 18, 2013 1:07 PM

May 2013
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
ReasonDesu said:

^Exactly

Agreed.

Characters are most likely either Japanese or a foreign with blonde or silver hair.
Oct 18, 2013 1:25 PM

Nov 2008
Preference.
Lrdwhyt said:
Anime is made in Japan. Most Japanese aren't black. Is the reason not obvious? There's a reason why most television, literature, and other artistic mediums depict their protagonists as humans, not aliens, cockroaches, or dogs.
There are a lot of white protagonists.

Oct 18, 2013 1:26 PM

Dec 2012
Black is associated with a type of person of African Descent, which most countries in the west have. Japan do not have a lot of people like that

I do however feel like it would be interesting to see more of them.

Back than I thought of a black assassin. In my head he looks badass.
I would tell you all his physical features, but this is a anime site, can't have you stealing my ideas lol. I still believe this is a good idea, just dont have a story yet.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Oct 18, 2013 1:39 PM

Dec 2012
Because you're looking for them in a form of media from a statistically improbable place to find them?
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 18, 2013 1:40 PM

Dec 2012
I would run into this topic the day we watch Black Facing skits in my race class. Just be glad Japan doesn't do that!
Oct 18, 2013 1:44 PM

Oct 2013
Because that's how the cookie crumbles.
Oct 18, 2013 2:01 PM

Dec 2012
ReasonDesu said:
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Oct 18, 2013 2:42 PM

Jun 2008
Japan are racists.
Oct 18, 2013 2:43 PM
Jul 2013
Accelerator is certified as black. Someday he'll have his own show so there you have it, they're on the rise.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Oct 18, 2013 2:43 PM
Aug 2011
Because there isn't a lot of black people in japan.
AdramelechOct 18, 2013 2:49 PM
Oct 18, 2013 2:52 PM
Aug 2011
ThePimp said:
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

WOW THAT IS A LOT! WHOLLY SHIT!!!!11!
Oct 18, 2013 3:04 PM

Oct 2012
ThePimp said:
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

What convinced you that Lelouch is British (which is clearly untrue considering that Britain is non-aligned in the show) and that Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV is black?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 18, 2013 3:38 PM

Oct 2013
Watch Turn A Gundam. The best gundam ever made and it has a good black protagonist.

The answer is because people and producers aren't interested in showing a show only consisting of black people.

All of this might be of racism/white superiority roots to be brutally honest.
Oct 18, 2013 4:11 PM

Dec 2012
elite-sama said:
ThePimp said:
tsudecimo said:
ThePimp said:
ReasonDesu said:

Like who?

What convinced you that Lelouch is British (which is clearly untrue considering that Britain is non-aligned in the show) and that Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV is black?

Blonde hair and blue eyes in anime is usually associated with foreigners. I dont see it as too difficult to include a foreigner with a darker skin tone. Well maybe a mangaka would argue that it is too much work lol
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Oct 18, 2013 4:41 PM

Nov 2011
The japanese are fucking racist is why
I luv u
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

72 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 42 minutes ago

5 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

10 by LoveLikeBlood »»
7 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 2 hours ago

11 by LoveLikeBlood »»
8 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

40 by Luchipher-Zen »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.