Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 24, 2013 10:38 AM
Mar 2013
hentai_proxy said:
JD2411 said:

I think your opinion is biased towards Mathematics

Of course it is, just like yours is biased against it. This does not mean my opinion is wrong. I cited my knowledge of current mathematical research, recent advances, applications as support for my viewpoint. You reject this informed opinion on the basis of --- what exactly? I asked you if you thought one of the most useful mathematical constructs could be invented by computers in thirty years' time, you did not respond. I asked you if you have studied the status of mathematical research, you did not respond. So between my informed, biased opinion and your unfounded, unjustified biased opinion, which do you think holds more water? And for the third time, justify your opinion, give a reason for what you think, and answer my question on PageRank.

We have calculators to do basic maths, given the rate at which technology is increasing it's only a matter of time before machines can solve more complex problems. Furthermore, a benefit of using machines is that there is no room for human error so they'll be used over humans. I agree certain areas of maths will still be used in areas such as programming, but as a whole, maths will be done primarily by computers.
Oct 24, 2013 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
JD2411 said:
We have calculators to do basic maths, given the rate at which technology is increasing it's only a matter of time before machines can solve more complex problems. Furthermore, a benefit of using machines is that there is no room for human error so they'll be used over humans. I agree certain areas of maths will still be used in areas such as programming, but as a whole, maths will be done primarily by computers.
Your "arguments" are so incredibly flawed, I don't know where to start.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Oct 24, 2013 11:05 AM
Oct 2010
JD2411 said:

We have calculators to do basic maths,

And we've had them for the most part of the 20th century, and even before that. What do basic maths have to do with mathematical research?

JD2411 said:

given the rate at which technology is increasing it's only a matter of time before machines can solve more complex problems.

Machines do not yet solve problems, they implement solutions that mathematicians and scientists came up with. The advances in AI that would allow machines to solve even basic problems are, unfortunately, still far way,

JD2411 said:

Furthermore, a benefit of using machines is that there is no room for human error so they'll be used over humans.

You do not understand the job description of mathematicians. Mathematicians do not spend their time doing computations; please. Read. Up. On. What. Mathematicians. Do.

JD2411 said:
maths will be done primarily by computers.

Again, you do not understand what mathematical research entails: proving new theorems, discovering new properties of mathematical and physical objects, describing their behaviour; how can computers do that without an extremely advanced problem solving AI? If you know rumors of even the possibility of such a powerful AI, please give me a link because I am dying to know.
Oct 24, 2013 11:05 AM

Sep 2011
JD2411 said:

There are already computer programs that handle rather advanced computations, but math is more than just computation. In college math gets sort of different, and I don't see a computer being able to prove much anytime soon.

edit: ninja_proxy
EeyoreOct 24, 2013 11:09 AM
Oct 24, 2013 11:06 AM
Mar 2013
gstaad said:
JD2411 said:

Contribute to the discussion or stop trolling
Oct 24, 2013 11:13 AM
Oct 2010
JD2411 said:
gstaad said:

Just because he is expressing an unfavourable impression of your arguments does not mean he is trolling.
Oct 24, 2013 11:14 AM
Mar 2013
hentai_proxy said:
JD2411 said:

We have calculators to do basic maths,

And we've had them for the most part of the 20th century, and even before that. What do basic maths have to do with mathematical research?

JD2411 said:

given the rate at which technology is increasing it's only a matter of time before machines can solve more complex problems.

Machines do not yet solve problems, they implement solutions that mathematicians and scientists came up with. The advances in AI that would allow machines to solve even basic problems are, unfortunately, still far way,

JD2411 said:

Furthermore, a benefit of using machines is that there is no room for human error so they'll be used over humans.

You do not understand the job description of mathematicians. Mathematicians do not spend their time doing computations; please. Read. Up. On. What. Mathematicians. Do.

JD2411 said:
maths will be done primarily by computers.

Again, you do not understand what mathematical research entails: proving new theorems, discovering new properties of mathematical and physical objects, describing their behaviour; how can computers do that without an extremely advanced problem solving AI? If you know rumors of even the possibility of such a powerful AI, please give me a link because I am dying to know.

Okay I accept Maths is a useful qualification. But I said that 'Maths won't be as important as it is now'. By that, I meant that other qualifications will be of equal importance to Maths in the near future.
Oct 24, 2013 11:15 AM
Mar 2013
hentai_proxy said:
JD2411 said:
gstaad said:

Just because he is expressing an unfavourable impression of your arguments does not mean he is trolling.

He has been trolling in other threads.
Oct 24, 2013 11:18 AM
Oct 2010
JD2411 said:

Okay I accept Maths is a useful qualification. But I said that 'Maths won't be as important as it is now'. By that, I meant that other qualifications will be of equal importance to Maths in the near future.

Importance is not a zero-sum game. Medicine was not as prominent or important in the 16th century as it is today, but the rise of medicine and medical procedures did not make the importance of say, physics or mathematics decline. If anything, as one scientific field rises in importance, it tends to drag others up with connections, analogies, applications and conceptual links (usually afforded by mathematics, by the way). This is one of the beauties of science, that scientific research in various fields enhances the prospects of all of them.
Oct 24, 2013 12:43 PM
May 2012
Elaxer said:
A wise man once said
“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
― Benjamin Franklin

And I'll ask again, why pay thousands of dollars to learn what you can learn for free on the internet?
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Oct 24, 2013 12:49 PM
Mar 2013
Captain-Hawkeye said:
Elaxer said:
A wise man once said
― Benjamin Franklin

And I'll ask again, why pay thousands of dollars to learn what you can learn for free on the internet?

Because employers don't care how intelligent you are, they care about the pieces of paper you own
Oct 24, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2011
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but networking is huge, and college is a great platform to get involved and get your name out there. If you are involved in college and manage to get good recommendations, it can be just as helpful in obtaining a job as the degree itself.

JD2411 said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:
Elaxer said:
A wise man once said
― Benjamin Franklin

Because employers don't care how intelligent you are, they care about the pieces of paper you own

The paper represents work ethic and competence, which, in many cases, is more valuable to an employer than someone's intelligence.
EeyoreOct 24, 2013 1:09 PM
Oct 24, 2013 12:58 PM

Jun 2009
JD is right, companies want the papers you own and the scores you got on your certification tests. Those are very valuable. Also if you get into a good school the school you went to ups where your resume is on the list of possible candidates.

It is a good investment. If you major in something useful like Maths or Sciences then you will probably end up with a job that easily pays for your college experience. However, if you are going to college to major in drama or history then chances are you are throwing money away those are the two highest unemployed majors

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 24, 2013 3:51 PM

Sep 2013
Suzune-chan said:
It is a good investment. If you major in something useful like Maths or Sciences then you will probably end up with a job that easily pays for your college experience. However, if you are going to college to major in drama or history then chances are you are throwing money away those are the two highest unemployed majors

^^^ This.

All those people complaining about going to college and not getting a job majored in something stupid, over-saturated, or required a PhD to be useful but they never went to grad school. All those 27ish year old people going to nursing school and becoming dental hygienists know this to be the truth.
There's no need for all this tension.
Dec 12, 2015 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
college is a scam
Dec 12, 2015 4:50 PM

Oct 2015
Dur.
I'm well aware how much of it is pretty much a scam, but you gotta play the game. Plus, I don't think I can get a deeper knowledge of music anywhere else besides college.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

31 by Kamikaze_404 »»
6 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

670 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

99 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

38 by fae »»
3 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

42 by fae »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.