Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2013 6:28 AM

Jan 2013
Not enough Serena, but a great start so far.
AipomNov 9, 2013 3:24 AM
Oct 17, 2013 6:52 AM
Jan 2008
There is so much improvement in this season compared to Best Wishes when it comes to the animation. Loved the VS screenshot like they did in Black & White and the battle also was more exciting to watch compared to the older seasons.
Oct 17, 2013 6:56 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I assume you two watched it in Japan because I can't find a Raw video online. Since it's the 17 here in America, and the 18 in Japan I guess within 3-4 days there should be a raw version at least.

Oct 17, 2013 7:01 AM

Jan 2013
No, there's already RAW available from Nyaa.se, I'm not Japanese.
Oct 17, 2013 11:43 AM

Feb 2011
THIS IS, what I've been waited for since this season was announced... It has a lot of changes, despite it's still pokemon anime, this is definitely some different from all other seasons... Can't wait for the next episodes ^_^
Oct 17, 2013 12:11 PM

Jun 2013
It was better than BW series, I want to see more of Serena.
Oct 17, 2013 7:33 PM

Jun 2012
I decided to give Pokémon one more chance, I haven't watched more than 50 or so episodes out of the last few hundred because they were terrible IMO. I actually liked it more than I thought I would and I plan to keep watching.....provided they don't screw it up.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Oct 17, 2013 7:55 PM

Jun 2009
i actualy liked this 1st peisode this is cool
Oct 17, 2013 8:18 PM

Jan 2008
How can Serena and Ash be (or rather, look) the same age then and now, when Ash has traveled with several young girls over the years, staying the same size as one another, being the little person that Ash is? My answer: Time travel. Serena comes from the future, went back in time and couldn't return to her own time, where she met young Ash. She grows up, later finds a way to return to the future, but she thinks that it didn't work, since she meets Ash again, seemingly the same age as her...but really he's a F***ing 26+year old midget little person. They've already shown time-travel to exist in the anime's universe, so maybe Serena meets a Celebi or something? This is the only logical explaination I can think of. But of course, like Ash's diminutive brain, as well as the show's writers/directors/producers, the anime series does not follow logic.

On another note, my explanation of why Pikachu, while it should be level 100, is suddenly weak as hell when they enters a new region: Amnesia. Since pokemon have limited memory and can only remember 4 moves at a time, likewise, Pikachu can only remember where it lives or travels to, which it remembers, so long as he constantly sees things around him, like Ash, but forgets most of it when it reaches the maximum capacity that is the size of any given region. But as soon as it enters a new region, it immediately forgets about all the experience it's ever been in, but remembers those 4 moves since it always uses them. It is a large rodent after all.
Estoy_GordoOct 17, 2013 8:23 PM
Oct 17, 2013 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
hikitani said:
Funny,I always say "This is better than the last season" every time a new pokemon season starts.
Oct 17, 2013 8:58 PM

Nov 2011
Unit-01 said:
hikitani said:
Funny,I always say "This is better than the last season" every time a new pokemon season starts.

But this season really is better. xD
Oct 17, 2013 9:28 PM

Jun 2013
4kicks said:
How can Serena and Ash be (or rather, look) the same age then and now, when Ash has traveled with several young girls over the years, staying the same size as one another, being the little person that Ash is? My answer: Time travel. Serena comes from the future, went back in time and couldn't return to her own time, where she met young Ash. She grows up, later finds a way to return to the future, but she thinks that it didn't work, since she meets Ash again, seemingly the same age as her...but really he's a F***ing 26+year old midget little person. They've already shown time-travel to exist in the anime's universe, so maybe Serena meets a Celebi or something? This is the only logical explaination I can think of. But of course, like Ash's diminutive brain, as well as the show's writers/directors/producers, the anime series does not follow logic.

On another note, my explanation of why Pikachu, while it should be level 100, is suddenly weak as hell when they enters a new region: Amnesia. Since pokemon have limited memory and can only remember 4 moves at a time, likewise, Pikachu can only remember where it lives or travels to, which it remembers, so long as he constantly sees things around him, like Ash, but forgets most of it when it reaches the maximum capacity that is the size of any given region. But as soon as it enters a new region, it immediately forgets about all the experience it's ever been in, but remembers those 4 moves since it always uses them. It is a large rodent after all.

That's the magic of anime, in the anime world since Ash started his journey, few months might have passed, while in the real world it's been years.
Oct 17, 2013 11:05 PM

May 2013
Good episode so far. I was wondering who that blue pokemon was lol.
Oct 17, 2013 11:33 PM

Jun 2011
Fallenkingzero said:
I decided to give Pokémon one more chance, I haven't watched more than 50 or so episodes out of the last few hundred because they were terrible IMO. I actually liked it more than I thought I would and I plan to keep watching.....provided they don't screw it up.

Are you serious? I disliked Best Wishes too, glad to hear that then. I want those like Johto, B&W, Kanto regions, they're awesome.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 18, 2013 2:24 AM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed the first episode. =D

After Citron's pokemon used dig on team rocket and carved out an ultra large hole on the ground, I was wondering about how much the repair fees would be.
Oct 18, 2013 7:00 AM

Jul 2008
were the sub :'(
Oct 18, 2013 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
almozayaf said:

There probably won't be for a while. PM said they'll start from next week's episode (XY3) and meanwhile try to catch up to there from where they left BW as they find time.
But it's not that hard to follow without subs even if you don't understund much Japanese.
Oct 18, 2013 8:50 AM
Jun 2011
Aclos said:
almozayaf said:

There probably won't be for a while. PM said they'll start from next week's episode (XY3) and meanwhile try to catch up to there from where they left BW as they find time.
But it's not that hard to follow without subs even if you don't understund much Japanese.
actully episode 1 and 2 already been subbed in few anime sites today
Oct 18, 2013 8:55 AM

Jan 2013
elior1 said:
actully episode 1 and 2 already been subbed in few anime sites today

Oh, I didn't know. Thanks for the info, time to rewatch it :)
Oct 18, 2013 11:55 AM

Feb 2013
gonna love this
Oct 18, 2013 2:49 PM
Jul 2013
The truth , XY series started great .

I want to clarify a few points or changes you notice in the series, which for me was the one I liked:
  1. The introduction of Team Rocket has a colorful animation and makes them look professional .
  2. Apparently Steel type attacks are no longer with the BW animation , as seen with ' Iron Cola ' Pikachu , I liked that.
  3. Team Rocket finally know how to use the potential of your pokemon , said by Super Wobbuffet .
  4. The scripts ( for now) are good, because it looks like a stupid conversation between characters .
  5. Team Rocket flies away without saying stupid things .
  6. Character design improved somewhat , but I know it's not attractive.
  7. Froakie 's performance as a hero.

I think that's what stands out most of the first episode . Although I like the following:
  • Wobbuffet knowing that Ash has ' Mantle Mirror ' , have Pikachu attack from the air again and almost falls weakened , that's where we had seen a rookie Ash again.
  • Bonnie design is disproportionate , having a thin body ( loli ) makes it look bighead .

Well , I really liked the episode.
  • Oct 18, 2013 5:07 PM

Feb 2011
    This is actually the first pokemon series I'm watching ever since the original when I was 7-8. I've only seen bits of advanced and pretty much nothing of the following seasons.

Took me 11 years to get my interest in Pokemon back, but it's off to a great start!
    Oct 18, 2013 7:35 PM

Dec 2008
    morshuwarrior said:
    This is actually the first pokemon series I'm watching ever since the original when I was 7-8. I've only seen bits of advanced and pretty much nothing of the following seasons.

Took me 11 years to get my interest in Pokemon back, but it's off to a great start!

This it's exactly how i felt.
    Oct 19, 2013 12:41 AM

Jul 2010
    lol he didnt lose on the first epsiode!???
    Oct 19, 2013 12:54 AM

Nov 2012
    anyone want to trade a Larvitar?
    Oct 19, 2013 10:42 AM

Dec 2008
    Lanhikari said:
    morshuwarrior said:

This it's exactly how i felt.

After playing Pokemon Y for almost 100 hours so far, just hearing the Lumiose City soundtrack play in the first few minutes is enough to get me back and pumped into watching a pokemon series.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
    Oct 19, 2013 1:24 PM
    Jan 2012
    Bonnie is perfect. I love her laugh SO much.

I think we are finally getting a series with the same quality of Diamond and Pearl. Or better.
    Oct 19, 2013 10:52 PM

Feb 2012
    pretty good so far, when Pikachu was caught by bunnelbys ears I was like "idiot, just get pikachu to use electricity from there" and it did :D wow, ash isn't as dumb this time around

hopefully this series doesn't fall flat on its face, and I also hope team rocket doesn't come in every episode this time, that would ruin it D:
    Oct 21, 2013 10:29 AM
    Jun 2012
    As someone who doesn't feel like waiting for the first 4 gens to be subbed already, and having watched 80% of the dubbed episodes anyways (BW excluded), gave it a shot despite having Best Wishes on hold for so long, and I'm amazed, LOVED this 2 episodes, if it keeps being this good my love for Pokemon might even be fully restored to how it was a couple of years ago. Can't wait for the next episode!!

Wasn't able to get the game when they came out (more like wasn't able to get the 3DS), but can't wait till I'm able to get them!! Really excited!
    Oct 21, 2013 3:00 PM

Oct 2012
    mega evolution o.o interesting. Haven't watched Pokemon for such a long time. I wanted to see more scenes with Serena >w> I was surprised to see CN already had a dubbed version. I always though dub was like 20 episodes behind ._.

Oct 22, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2013
    Takei_Hisa said:
    mega evolution o.o interesting. Haven't watched Pokemon for such a long time. I wanted to see more scenes with Serena >w> I was surprised to see CN already had a dubbed version. I always though dub was like 20 episodes behind ._.

I think there's still another 7 episodes yet to be dubbed, for the BW series that is. (Next episode to be dubbed is BW136 - A Pokémon of a Different Color!)

Those two XY episodes were dubbed as a "Sneak Peek" - I think they won't be played till next year. (I could be wrong)

"In addition to the United States, this episode aired as a sneak peek on October 19, 2013 in the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany, Italy, and France."
    (Found on the Bulbapedia website in the Trivia section - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY001)
    SandyBoiOct 22, 2013 1:52 AM
    Oct 23, 2013 11:16 AM

Dec 2011
    Not enough Serena. I need more. I am in Ash/Serena ship now.
    Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
    Nov 5, 2013 11:48 PM

Aug 2013
    The pokemon anime is actually making me want to watch it again holy crap

Good job Serena <3
    Jan 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Nov 2013
    Loved it. Ash seems so much more likable then in BW. Plus the new season remix song is fun :) Also Clemont is adorable!
    May 19, 2014 9:37 AM
    Dec 2013
    Cool, but plz!!! For god sake! Why is Ash so dumb!! How many pokemon does he have? He didnt even recognize the Blaziken + he never mentions that he has won many other badges from other regions! Why do they have to make Ash dumber for each new season....
    Nov 15, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2014
    Whoa, the new pokemons are awesome. Froakie is a water pokemon, and he's really to brave :) Also we have a bunny which can't remember his name... but he's a normal pokemon with normal skills but he can beat Pikachu! Great episode and opening too! ;)
    Maloween 2017
    Main Candies
    Dec 9, 2014 1:40 PM

Jul 2013
    I haven't seen this in years since the original series but wanted to see this season to see what it was like when I heard about the games and then after ordering the games did a search on Sky and found Disney XD showing it from the start again from Monday and decided to check it out. Dub obviously.

It's pretty good although Ash and James sound different.

Original theme song! I did not expect! D:
    Dec 11, 2014 8:14 PM

Jun 2011
    I didn't manage to complete BW, just lost interest somewhere down the road (will go back to it one day, this time, with the English dub version), so I decided to just skip it and come straight to XY since I hear good things about it, and wow, they are right, it's really good so far, just about everything. Highlight of the episode is definitely Froakie tanking the electro ball, that was pretty badass. Bonnie is so cute, Clemont is much bearable compare to "it's tasting time!" Dent. I also like the animation / skill effect here, BW's was bad.

I like XY a lot so far, but despite that, I still wish Ash would come across a legendary pokemon of it's region like he always did, I am not sure though, if the pokemon he saw back in the airport is Blaziken, Mega Blaziken, or a legendary pokemon. BW didn't do this, but I wonder if Pikachu is gonna destroy another bike, I sure wish it does. Those are certain things I would like Pokemon to do/follow in every new region/season.
    And aw yea, it's been so long since I have watch Pokemon in English dubbed, it feels so good.

Oh yea, I also wonder if Ash is gonna meet his rival in Kalos region, I sure hope he does have one.. lol.
    ToG25thBaamDec 11, 2014 8:23 PM
    Honobono Log - best slice of life short
    --------------------------------------------
    most kawaii loli overlord
    ----------------------------
    Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
    Mar 30, 2015 5:31 PM

Jun 2014
    Eureka is best character, just saying.
    Apr 15, 2015 9:11 PM

Jul 2014
    i haven't watched pokemon in a while, but damnnnnn, visual wise this season looks frickin amazing. i also love how they're using tracks from the ost of the game.
    Nov 4, 2015 8:05 AM

Nov 2014
    Well.. it's take me for a while to finally starting this anime.. actually i have finished the game before so i already know the majority of pokemon and the gym in Kalos.. anyway, really looking up for the series since pokemon has always been one of my favorite series..

For the 1st episode, it's a great one with as usual deal with team rocket and it seems Clement and Bonnie will be a travel companion for Ash in Kalos (can't wait to see Serena for sure).. Overall a nice starter and a great first episode IMO.. 5/5
    Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Jun 5, 2016 10:46 PM
    Apr 2013
    Ash is being stupid again. And why the heck the gym referee want to commit murder on both Ash and Pikachu.
    Jul 23, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2012
    I watched the 1st 2 episodes back when they were 1st released and put it on hold because I had no time to watch it, which made me forget about it in the process. Now I'm playing catch up and skipping the fillers.

Anyway, Satoshi has landed in Kalos...again. Better 1st battle than that shit that happened in Unova.

Serena mom oppai on point.
    If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
    Aug 29, 2016 5:03 AM

Mar 2015
    I was pretty skeptic when I heard that "Pokemon gets better, it's the best right now"

But then wow... it's really good. But damn Ash is so stupid as usual, our lovable ash never changed for 20 years.

Nov 9, 2021 1:06 PM

Dec 2007
    decided rewatching this while waiting for more dub episodes for pokemon journeys lol.

serena didn't got enough screentime, but we will have enough of her later...

the animation is just superb, remember watching this for the first time and freaking saying "damn, that's how pokemon battle should be".

ash and his heroizm lol.
    Dec 28, 2021 7:34 PM

Sep 2017
    great start , picking up from last season and ash arriving in Kalos.
    He see's a very (Cool) pokemon in the beginning
    This season will be the most "anime"you can get it to look (art style).
    Aug 5, 2023 5:40 PM
    Aug 2022
    I enjoy clemont's prescense. he is quite silly and has a lot of tboy swag which is annoying because i am older than him but it is okay. i h8 bonnie. she is annoying. i will get over it. animation is interesting.
    Oct 31, 2023 12:51 AM

Feb 2020
    Depois de ter terminado Unova ontem, hoje eu estarei começando a região de Kalos

minha meta é assistir 4 episódios por dia

Dec 30, 2023 8:03 AM

Jan 2013
    Damn this first episode was so much fun to watch.
    The improvements in animation makes it feel so much more alive and entertaining.

This just feels so new and fresh compared to what Best Wishes tried to do.

Definitely really excited to see what XY can bring but so far looking REALLY good!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
    Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
    Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
    Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
    Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
    Feb 6, 3:12 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.