Forum Settings
Forums

Download Managers (edit) and Anti-Virus/Malware Stuff

New
Feb 13, 2009 5:09 PM

Oct 2008
So basically I've been using this download manager for a bit, because the general firefox download thing tends to screw up halfway through downloading an episode or w/e, and you can't 'resume' or anything because it doesn't even work.
Anyway, now my download manager has decided to stop letting me download ANYTHING.

So yeah, I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone can recommend me any FREE download managers that are pretty decent. I didn't want to google them, because I'd probably end up with some browser takeover-er or something.

EDIT:
Ok, I think this comes first. I have a perfectly good Anti-Malware program installed, however now something has infected my computer - not in a noticable way, but in an extremely annoying way, and now certain things don't function as they should. For example I can't open my Anti-Malware program now, my computer won't start up properly unless I unplug it from the internet in the wall, my browsers lag a lot, and now no download manager will work.

So yeah, anyone got any good anti-malware programs that I can use to get rid of this shit, which will then allow me to actually use the download managers suggested in this thread?
simo000Feb 13, 2009 7:44 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 13, 2009 5:14 PM

May 2008
I don't really use any. Still, I think FlashGet is pretty good. The other one I can think of is Get Right.

I haven't used any since I switched to DSL (I remember those from my dial-up years).
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Feb 13, 2009 5:20 PM

Mar 2008
Flashget works pretty good for me.
Feb 13, 2009 5:39 PM

Nov 2007
downloadthemall, aka dlta. FF plugin that works wonders. Multithreaded downloads, queues, can do mass grabs of file formats from a page (for instance an index of mp3s or zips etc, you can have it just get everything). You can search for it in FF plugins window.
Feb 13, 2009 6:54 PM

Oct 2008
Thanks a lot guys. I'll probably check out dlta first, and if I'm not satisfied I'll try the others mentioned.

edit: someone please read the edit in the first post. I'll totally make it worth your while.
simo000Feb 13, 2009 7:45 PM
Feb 13, 2009 8:47 PM

May 2008
Sorry, don't know any. You might try Adaware (that's the only one I've used)

If your computer really is that bad, I suggest you back up your stuff and do a clean windows install. Or, you might even try linux. Personally, I dual boot Windows 7 and Fedora Core 10.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Feb 13, 2009 9:25 PM

Jul 2007
malwarebytes, avast, nod32, hijack this
keep in mind the first and last might require more expertise to use.
What would be advisable is booting ubuntu of a flash drive with all of the basic anti malware programs installed. A boot disc works too, or just scanning the main HDD on another computer(but make sure it has no autorun files to infect other computers)

Also check to see if you have vundo, in which case you can use remove vundo.

I would also advise disconnecting yourself from the internet during this process considering it can scan your computer and gather personal information, if it's a good enough piece of malware. You might have gotten antispyware 2009 or something similar. That thing's a bitch to remove. Installs itself as a hardware device and then disables basic windows services as well as banning several programs from running and banning certain sites. It even surprised the IT guys in how well it was designed and implemented.

Feb 13, 2009 9:35 PM

Jul 2008
You're probably better off backing up your data and doing a clean install. The time and effort is probably the same or less compared to trying to fix your system. And there's the peace of mind that your computer is free of any ills.

If you don't play a lot of Windows games, I highly suggest switching to Linux. I made the switch back in 2005 and I never had any malware issues since then. :)
Feb 13, 2009 10:45 PM

Oct 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate it. I'll try out what you suggested triggers, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll do a clean install, though my laptop was purchased through my ex-school, and they basically had their tech's install everything. So idk how that will go.
Feb 13, 2009 11:39 PM

Jan 2008
malwarebytes anti-malware.

Feb 14, 2009 12:37 AM

Oct 2008
I tried out nod32, however it didn't seem that good. It only found one infected file, and that was on my external hd. I'll try the others though.

FlyingChinaMan said:
malwarebytes anti-malware.

That's what I had originally, and it was the best one I've used so far. However when my comp started acting weird I tried to use it, however it wouldn't open...like nothing happened. And when I uninstall it and then try and install it again the same thing happens, and I can't even reinstall. I'm thinking the virus or w/e it is has infected that too, and is trying to prevent me using any anti malware programs.

edit: ugh, it's really fucking up my browse now. Most pages I try and go to redirect me to some useless advertising site or something. So I can't even to the anti-virus programs' websites to download them. Guess I'll do a clean install or something - though I don't know shit about that, I've got a friend who should be able to help me.

Man viruses suck infinite cock.
simo000Feb 14, 2009 12:44 AM
Feb 14, 2009 12:44 AM

Nov 2007
http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/sysclean.com +
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern-cpr.asp (updated daily, so download new one every time you scan)
( http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/pattern/cpr/lpt842.zip direct to current pattern if you're being redirected from pages)

The best virus scanner around.
Feb 14, 2009 1:54 AM

Dec 2007
Asako said:
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern-cpr.asp (updated daily, so download new one every time you scan)
( http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/pattern/cpr/lpt842.zip direct to current pattern if you're being redirected from pages)

Definitely not. I suggest to use Kaspersky. Personally I'm a fan of NOD32, but that's because of the memory usage:clean ratio. Whenever I need to do a full scan, I use Kaspersky with a 100% succeed chance.

BigSimo, before you scan, make sure you:

- Have Automatic System Recovery turned off on all drives.
- Have cleaned your internet cache.
- Have deleted the contents of your temporary folders.

Do all of that in safe mode, then run Kaspersky. If the problem still persists, please download HijackThis, perform a full scan and send the log file to me in a PM. I will help you further in the MAL Tech Support Club.
Feb 14, 2009 4:57 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I used to use FlashGet (which was good) a few years back but there's no need for me to use any download managers these days.

And about, AV/FW software, Kaspersky is the best. I tried out various programs, popular programs but nothing is as good as Kaspersky. Especially regarding unwanted ads. If I use a PC that doesn't have Kaspersky installed, I get close to raging because of all the pop ups and advertisements. Not even Adblock, Adblock Plus or NoScript can kill them as well as Kaspersky can.

[edit]: Grammar.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 14, 2009 5:19 AM

Nov 2007
Kaspersky is not free (for full version) and is TSR. TSR scanners are an unnecessary waste of system resources, if you have half a brain. Though I suppose people who get viruses in the first place don't, so TSR scanners are useful for them, in which case Kaspersky is probably a better option than NOD32, and anything is better than Norton.

As for ads, I've not seen any ads in at least two years just running FF and ABP. I'd rather have the addon in my browser, instead of having another process wasting system resources even when I'm not browsing.

sysclean that I linked is perfectly free, and perfectly functional, while being updated daily to the latest definitions. You just run it when you suspect you have a problem (such as in this case). No need to waste CPU, memory and even bandwidth (with some scanners doing back to base touches) on a resident scanner.
Feb 14, 2009 5:26 PM

Oct 2008
Chavez said:
Asako said:

Definitely not. I suggest to use Kaspersky. Personally I'm a fan of NOD32, but that's because of the memory usage:clean ratio. Whenever I need to do a full scan, I use Kaspersky with a 100% succeed chance.

BigSimo, before you scan, make sure you:

- Have Automatic System Recovery turned off on all drives.
- Have cleaned your internet cache.
- Have deleted the contents of your temporary folders.

Do all of that in safe mode, then run Kaspersky. If the problem still persists, please download HijackThis, perform a full scan and send the log file to me in a PM. I will help you further in the MAL Tech Support Club.

Thanks for the help. I tried that, although I can't access my computer in safe mode...it won't accept my username + password (I won't go into that though). Kapersky found one virus - Win32.Agent.aa - though getting rid of that hasn't really done anything.
I think I won't bother with trying to get rid of the virus any longer, it's royally screwed my computer too much for me to be able to save it with the knowledge I have. =/
Plus reimaging it will be easier. I appreciate the help offer though.

cyruz said:
I used to use FlashGet (which was good) a few years back but there's no need for me to use any download managers these days.

And about, AV/FW software, Kaspersky is the best. I tried out various programs, popular programs but nothing is as good as Kaspersky. Especially regarding unwanted ads. If I use a PC that doesn't have Kaspersky installed, I get close to raging because of all the pop ups and advertisements. Not even Adblock, Adblock Plus or NoScript can kill them as well as Kaspersky can.

[edit]: Grammar.

Yeah I think I'll stick with Kapersky when my computer is reimaged. I may even consider paying to activate it.

Asako said:
Kaspersky is not free (for full version) and is TSR. TSR scanners are an unnecessary waste of system resources, if you have half a brain. Though I suppose people who get viruses in the first place don't, so TSR scanners are useful for them, in which case Kaspersky is probably a better option than NOD32, and anything is better than Norton.

As for ads, I've not seen any ads in at least two years just running FF and ABP. I'd rather have the addon in my browser, instead of having another process wasting system resources even when I'm not browsing.

sysclean that I linked is perfectly free, and perfectly functional, while being updated daily to the latest definitions. You just run it when you suspect you have a problem (such as in this case). No need to waste CPU, memory and even bandwidth (with some scanners doing back to base touches) on a resident scanner.

The problem is, as soon as I suspected I had a problem, that problem had already gone so far as to prevent me from opening my scanner (malware bytes), so I couldn't do anything. For me...a TSR scanner like Kapersky is probably best.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help. I'll just get my computer reimaged, since that's probably easiest, and I've backed up everything anyway.
Feb 14, 2009 6:32 PM

Jan 2008
no need for anti-malware when you're on OpenBSD :DDD
Feb 14, 2009 8:23 PM

Jun 2008
I use Avira antivirus. It's completely free and very good. It's not very famous but is excellent program. I discovered it a few months ago when my computer was attack by a very tricky Trojan and Avira along with Spyware Doctor where the only two programs (after trying about 7 others) who saw it and were able to remove it.
So i suggest Avira and Spyware Doctor. Unfortunately Spyware Doctor is a shareware program. But i guess you can always go the pirate way with Spyware Doctor if Avira doesn't to the job.
Mar 11, 2009 7:40 AM

Dec 2008
At home I use Mandriva Linux with ClamAV.

On xp I use Free Download Manager, Avast antivir and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suit.

Mar 11, 2009 7:43 AM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
no need for anti-malware when you're on OpenBSD :DDD

Not yet.
Mar 11, 2009 9:56 AM

Sep 2008
I'll second NOD32/Eset ^_^

and IDM is an amazing download manager, i think i can host a RS link for it you if want it.
just message me about it
x

>Inviting people to Lockerz, Pm if you want in<
Mar 11, 2009 10:15 AM

Aug 2008
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ is great imo (anti-malware, anti-virus, and firewall all in one)

If you're a gamer, avoid AVG anti-virus, it fucks with them.
Mar 11, 2009 10:22 AM

Jan 2009
For downloading files from websites I'm using Opera good think with continue download.

For protecting my PC I'm using Zone alarm and avast xD
For protect my lap I'm using comodo and Fprot
Both have spybot search and destroy ;]
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.