Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 14, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2013
A lot of people make it out to seem that during the last arc of 5 centimeters per second Takaki was still in love with Akari. Now I didn't realize this and simply thought that Mizuno and him were not meant to be the first time I watched it. I then watched the last arc twice more, once subbed and the other dubbed, and could still not see any hint of Takaki's lasting love for Akari being the reason for his miserable life. Could anyone please explain your thoughts on whether he did or did not have feelings and whether it was or was not the reason for his lifestyle.
Oct 15, 2013 12:54 PM

Sep 2013
I realized that he moved on at that point but was wondering if the filmmakers made it seem that Takaki's love for Akari was the reason for his miserable life. It shows him with a failing relationship and a depressed lifestyle that ultimately leads him to quit his job.
Oct 15, 2013 2:30 PM

Jul 2013
The point of the ending and the reason it is so good is that he moved on, the act of her dissapearing after the train goes past is the very moment this happens, in the last scene she is a hallucination, he sees her everywhere he goes, but when he reaches the train tracks where they were so long ago he remembers, and he moves on, he is happy for her that she is now married, and he lifts his head and walks away with a smile.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 15, 2013 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
Yep.
Oct 15, 2013 3:03 PM

Sep 2013
K so I guess your responses answer my question in a way. I'm just going to take it that
Takaki never forgot about Akari and that was the reason for his failing relationship and
miserable job. That would make sense since the last scene does make it seem like he is moving on from her.
Thanks for all the answers!
Nov 9, 2013 12:29 AM

Aug 2013
DeusAnima said:
K so I guess your responses answer my question in a way. I'm just going to take it that
Takaki never forgot about Akari and that was the reason for his failing relationship and
miserable job. That would make sense since the last scene does make it seem like he is moving on from her.
Thanks for all the answers!

http://infinitezenith.webs.com/5cmpersecond.htm

From the source above

"From the movie, I had the impression that Akari was the very reason why he was so depressed and ended up the way he was but from the novel, it’s not entirely true. He picked up smoking and alcohol from building up contacts and just hanging out with friends. Then the pressure at work just got to him and he got burnt out. However, at the bottom of his despair, we do still find him thinking back to Akari and her words of encouragement. When he cried, he said he wanted someone who could say the words he wanted to hear and basically understand him so his relation with Akari may have set some high standards with him. "

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.