Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Feb 13, 2009 10:28 AM

http://csakuras.livejournal.com/487991.html

Interviews with director translated confirm that its manga adaptation:

Important Bits:

Q: Please tell us your thoughts about being chosen to direct this series.
A: I really enjoyed reading the original manga, so I was happy to be given the opportunity to make such a fun work into an anime!

Q: Then, what are the things you would like to attempt with this project?
A: For this project I would like to show the moving pictures in an appealing way. Especially since this time, there is a special art known as alchemy, so as one of the appeals of the anime, I would like to draw the "movement of matter changing shape" in an interesting way from start to finish! Also, so people watching the TV can watch at ease, I think it would be nice to give the art an impression of softness. Due to the fact that backgrounds have become digital, we have been able to make elaborate images, but I have the feeling that it gives the art an overwhelming impression. For this project, I would like to create soft images on the screen so that the people watching can go into it easily.

Q: Do you have an abbreviation for the official title?
A: It's "鋼FA" [Hagane FA], but fans are free to continue calling it "Hagane" or "Hagaren." (Producer Ooyama)

Q: Is there some reason for Ed's blond hair being drawn with color-tracing rather than black lines?
A: It's because we wanted to give an impression of softness, and convey how more appealing and special it is. But, it seems that the animators are struggling with it. I'm sorry. (Irie)

Arakawa interview:

Q: This will be the second anime, but Arakawa-sensei, what parts do you personally consider worthy of attention for this anime?
A: I am curious about how Director Irie's art will move!! Up to now in his work, every little movement had some kind of expression, so I am looking forward to what he will create with this project!! Also, I was surprised to hear that the person in charge of the music is Akira Senju-san!! I've been a fan of Senju-san's music since a long time ago and listened to his soundtracks in the work place, so I am very happy that he'll be in charge of the music for this project. This of course goes for new viewers who haven't seen the previous anime, but I also hope that people who saw the previous anime will enjoy the changes in this anime.

Q: Is there anything that wasn't in the story of the previous anime that you want to see animated?
A: I want to see Roy VS Lust from Volume 10!! To tell the truth, in the original work, it turned out rushed due to the number of pages, so even I feel a little indigestion myself...if it's shown in the anime, I look forward to seeing how it's done!! Also...as a native of Hokkaido, I want to see the story of the snow country of Briggs!! And the panda (Xiao Mei)!! This is necessary. (laugh)

Feb 13, 2009 10:56 AM
Oh! Thank you very much!

I personally can't wait for the second Fullmetal Alchemist to come out. I never thought this would happen, really. I never expected for them to make the series again and base it off the manga.

So... will we have to call it FMA2, Hagane FA, or HFA? I don't think "FMA2" is suitable, since that promotes a sequal to the original. And this is most certainly NOT a sequal.

Thanks for the post! It was very informative. I'll go and make sure my friend who adores FMA (or... HFA?) as much as I do.

:]

Feb 13, 2009 11:46 PM

Azumizai said:

So... will we have to call it FMA2, Hagane FA, or HFA? I don't think "FMA2" is suitable, since that promotes a sequal to the original. And this is most certainly NOT a sequal.

"FMA v2" fits quite well, as for those proposed abbreviations from interview - that would cause too much confusion in english-speaking part of world...

Feb 14, 2009 11:02 PM

Great interview.
It's nice to see Arakawa-sensei's enthusiasm for the series.

Feb 16, 2009 7:52 PM

Oh! Thank you for posting this! Eeek, this is so exciting! I can't wait for this to come out. The whole time I was watching the anime I was thinking, 'I really want to see that showdown between Lust and Roy,' and maybe I can see it! And I hope they can bring in the other characters too, like the little girl with the panda! (I'm totally blanking on a name right now)