Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2009 7:35 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice change of pace and a little backstory are always appreciated.
I still don't like the OP though...
Nov 13, 2009 7:09 PM

Jul 2009
QueegI still don't like the OP though...[/quote said:

Amen. This one actually made me want to cry :'D
This is not a signature
I promise
Nov 29, 2009 2:50 PM

Apr 2009
Damn, I really felt sorry for Masa-bou here... especially at the beginning when he was all fired up sharing his dreams with Mune-chan, while she was blatantly ignoring him falling in love with Abe-sensei...
Aug 8, 2010 11:43 AM

Mar 2008
Awwwwh bittersweet sad one :(

Was good though!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2011 4:29 AM

Apr 2009
Ah I actually felt melancholic, I must be getting old...

Good to see the young Sasshi and Arumi passing by.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 14, 2011 1:31 PM

Feb 2010
Loved the change in pace and emotional ending. Love the series so far!
Feb 10, 2012 8:40 PM

Jun 2010
Given that the next episode preview looks as silly as the previous episodes, I think the purpose of this episode was solely just to provide the audience with a breather. It was only a well-executed version of a cliche romantic drama anyway.

But that is exactly what was needed. I literally thought to myself during episode 6 that I was starting to get tired of the non-stop silliness and this comes along and takes care of that. It's a basic act of deliberate pacing. I wish I could say otherwise, but this is a step above from what most series can mange to pull off. This is why I like Gainax even though they produce as many stinkers as anyone else.
Aug 27, 2012 7:47 AM

Oct 2010
nice to see some thing a little different
Oct 1, 2012 11:58 AM

Sep 2012
Some background to change the pace of the anime, I like it.
Apr 13, 2013 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
Damn I felt bad for grandpa masa, i've been in his position before.
Anyway good episode.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 19, 2013 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
how melancholic.
Apr 20, 2013 2:01 PM

Apr 2008
Eight years ago I've watched this episode: today I've rewatched it and if was moving like the first time. After those years I've watched many anime but I can say it's still a precious and well done work.
Jul 5, 2013 3:47 PM

May 2012
A very serious episode! I actually liked that bit of backstory.
Mar 6, 2014 7:47 PM
May 2013
chirale said:
Eight years ago I've watched this episode: today I've rewatched it and if was moving like the first time. After those years I've watched many anime but I can say it's still a precious and well done work.

Yes, it was a beautiful episode.
Mar 6, 2014 9:43 PM
Jun 2013
Mune got what she desevered. I feel no sadness for people like her. I was happy to see her cry.
souledge94Mar 7, 2014 4:38 AM
Feb 19, 2015 9:24 AM

Nov 2007
I dunno I didn't feel that bad for Masabou he just seemed like an annoying, dumb pervert to me. :/

Aug 10, 2015 8:23 AM
Dec 2011
this was awesome i finally know who they are and how the shopping arcade started ..
i felt bad for all three of them none got the love they fell for :3

but they were happy still i felt bad about mune because she just fell in love and so did mr abe they were so in to each other from the beginning. i think mr.abe and mune fell in love in the first sight so no body was wrong here ( i loved the way they stared at each other, it was the first time i saw it in an anime which is an epic to feel and watch) and i love the way Abe openly showed his love for mune and mune did the same .

i felt so upset about graps masa to find out that way is too much shock (they were in the room together) !

when masa knew he was wrong it was too late ! also i thought graps taro was sooo adorably cute just like sashi no wonder mune married him later :3

mr seimei abe is his full name and there is a shrine name like that in the area also the plan looking like kyouto and the 1000 years ago talk abe did and the image we saw at night in the seimei shrine .....hmmmmmmm...... i feel there is more to the story which will be great also little sashi and arumi is so cute :3
Sep 3, 2015 9:53 AM
Jan 2015
happyhellhound said:
I dunno I didn't feel that bad for Masabou he just seemed like an annoying, dumb pervert to me. :/

He was more than just a dumb pervert, he might have seemed annoying but he was trying to express his dreams as best he knew how and Mune Mune just trampled over them for the bishie with the better position in life.
Feb 2, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2011
good writing and even better storytelling

the director knows what he's doing here

THIS is the good part of Gainax

fucking Anno "The Anus" Hideaki
his dick is so small so he shouldn't have bothered marrying
because it's embarrassing to show to the world, just like everything he's done in his life

WHY DIDN'T YAMAGA DIRECT MORE SHIT
May 31, 2019 9:42 PM

Aug 2016
The main problem with this anime so far is its inferior execution of comedy compared to Gainax "comedy done right" like Ebichu, Hanamaru Kindrgarten or Kare kano. If this anime fixed that or if it did the whole opposite and had way more moments for drama, it could be better than most stuff in that studio. No surprised eps 1 and 7 are the best ones in this first half.
:v
Feb 8, 2020 1:30 PM

Aug 2016
MichaelJackson said:
The main problem with this anime so far is its inferior execution of comedy compared to Gainax "comedy done right" like Ebichu, Hanamaru Kindrgarten or Kare kano. If this anime fixed that or if it did the whole opposite and had way more moments for drama, it could be better than most stuff in that studio. No surprised eps 1 and 7 are the best ones in this first half.

Disagree, this kind of humor reminds me of Slayers or general Imaishi projects, big fan of both of those. I'm gonna check out Ebichu after what you've said for sure though, maybe even one of the other two. If this show had more drama it wouldn't really fit the formula anymore and I would even say it would make episodes like this one not as great.
Apr 16, 2020 2:12 PM

Jan 2009
wow finally some explanation about the history of this story huh so Mune is in love with Abe or Eutus in the other worlds

>I dunno I didn't feel that bad for Masabou he just seemed like an annoying, dumb pervert to me. :/

lol maybe but for me he is thinking too unrealistically like Mune is way out of his league anyway and he knows that he cannot compare to a perfect guy like Abe/Eutus that is perfectly match for Mune
May 28, 2020 6:14 PM
Feb 2016
For a second I thought mune could be marumi's grandma considering that they mentioned that masaa hi had a crush on her,but I was wrong. The backstory was nice,but I'm not sure if I fully understand the relation it has with the whole sci-fi aspect with the blue haired guy.

Hoping that they address the issue with sasshi quickly, because these episodes are really repetitive and getting even worse.

The scene with her bike standing outside of the appartement with the lights off wasn a bit odd. It didn't look like they were even in the room,let alone having sex. I might be wrong though.
Aug 12, 2020 8:49 PM

Sep 2016
I was NOT ready for the feels. Damn.

I'm supposed to laugh with this anime, not feel.
Nov 17, 2020 7:34 AM

Aug 2017
Oh, so "Masayuki" is Masa-jii. Nice joke still (I'm sure it's connected to the Gainax staff). And to think that Mune-Mune is Sasshi's grandma... She was briefly featured in a photo from ep. 1, but of course she was unrecognizable. To be fair, there were hints here and there, but oh well.
I like how she mentioned go when talking about the Abenobashi plan, Sasshi was also playing go in ep. 1.

Now the rooftop scene from ep. 6 becomes really tragic...with a double meaning ("catching" Abe-san as in a crime drama and as in "getting together", same with Masayuki). And they were working together as a "gang" just like in reality...

I wonder who's that Seimei-san... something a 1000 years ago... There was probably more to Abe-san's parting words that I can understand now. Maybe he is indeed a reincarnation of somebody from the past...as well as Masayuki.

Mune-Mune died ;_;

That old man from the bank collapsed in the bath of Mune-Mune family, huh. And Masayuki's luck with credits expired. How symbolic.

At least the preview for this episode from ep. 6 was funny...

when masa knew he was wrong it was too late ! also i thought graps taro was sooo adorably cute just like sashi no wonder mune married him later :3
mr seimei abe is his full name and there is a shrine name like that in the area also the plan looking like kyouto and the 1000 years ago talk abe did and the image we saw at night in the seimei shrine

Didn't realize that.

P.S. According to ANN, quite a lot of things were oursorced...
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=820

P.P.S. Wait so basically it was Sasshi's grandma who's been his most vicious opponent in the magical worlds? xD
St0rmbladeNov 17, 2020 1:43 PM
Oct 28, 2021 9:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was actually a serious backstory episode for the Abenobashi's creation, I kinda felt bad for Masabou tbh
Apr 28, 2022 8:27 PM

Nov 2010
Very interesting backstory. So it's quite obvious now what's going on. All this time Satoshi was lewding his young grandma. hehe

Now it makes sense why the EP is about 1950s Japan. I love looking at old pictures btw, since I'm such a sentimental person, stuck to the past.
Mar 11, 2023 1:48 PM

Aug 2011
I really enjoyed this flashback episode! For a bit I was like "this is so insane, I need a break" lol and I'm glad this anime delivered, and gave me some context into why/how the shopping arcade came into existence. Definitely kinda bittersweet.
desu desu binches
Jan 29, 2:15 AM

Jun 2021
still (at least for me) one of the weakest episodes but still respectable, and rewatching it as an adult was even more meaningful. Some background for the older characters helps the plot and for once it's fine to see some decades from the mid of the 20th century shown in anime.

More topics from this board

» I'm a dum dum

TikkiWii - Jan 28

8 by phototaku »»
Feb 26, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

88 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 12 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 16, 2008

39 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 8 Discussion

Juliab - Apr 11, 2008

23 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai Episode 11 Discussion

Arashi89 - Aug 11, 2009

17 by _untitled »»
Jan 29, 2:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.