Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 30, 2007 8:38 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An OK episode. Not much happened since they are now back to where they started from. Looking forward to the battle against Kitami though.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 30, 2007 10:18 AM

Jul 2007
Fun episode. Kaiji's plan was great. He just got unlucky that someone else thought of the same thing and found a way to counter it.
The battle against Kitami should be epic.
Oct 30, 2007 3:17 PM

Jun 2007
Man I hate his 2 "buddies" Run away and screw up AGAIN only to come crawling back to Kaiji. I can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 30, 2007 3:44 PM

Jan 2007
Good episode. I can't wait to see how they get out of this one.
Oct 30, 2007 5:50 PM

May 2007
Damn I love this show.
Oct 31, 2007 3:20 AM

Feb 2007
This game of Restricted Rock Paper Scissors is coming to a close. Less than an hour for Kaiji to get out of this tricky situation. Another good episode. I also love the OP for this show. 4/5
Oct 31, 2007 7:15 AM
Jun 2007
They have started over from the very begining... intresting ^^
Oct 31, 2007 7:22 PM

Jun 2007
This is such a great shonen thriller. Kaiji reminds me of Kimura from HnI in that he's got good plans and superior skill, but still loses pretty often. Adds to the thrill by a factor of ten, because even the best strategies (like this one) don't always work.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Oct 31, 2007 7:46 PM

Jun 2007
They've managed to stretch out a game of rock paper siccors over four episodes. I'm impressed.

Really getting the hang of this show. It's the only Fall show I get impatient for.
Nov 2, 2007 3:19 PM

Mar 2007
ZoiQ said:
Damn I love this show.
You've come a long way, baby.
Nov 5, 2007 9:41 PM

Oct 2007
This is my favorite show of the fall and I really hate Kaiji's team mates. They aren't very loyal and they panic too easily.

Kaiji on the other hand is too loyal. He could have been off the boat already if it wasn't for them.
Mar 24, 2008 11:27 AM

Feb 2008
Didn't find this episode to be as good as the previous one, but it was still good =P
I wonder what Kaiji has in mind. I mean, he is challenging a guy with only papers, while Kaiji only has rocks (unless I missed something and he has some scissors).
Btw, this anime is quickly burning through my ranks.
Feb 2, 2009 5:50 PM

Jun 2008
So now how he will overcome this situation.
Apr 27, 2009 7:13 PM

Apr 2009
cool episode!
May 1, 2009 2:35 AM

Oct 2008
Once again back to where they started from and this time in an even more desperate situation than before. I can't believe how this show keeps me on the edge of my seat. I wonder what's going to happen next.
May 16, 2009 2:22 AM
Apr 2009
I'm absolutely loving this show. I really thought he had it. Kaiji's pretty clever for a loser.
Oct 16, 2009 6:17 AM

Feb 2009
This anime is an example of "Never Give Up" I like it. It seems that Keiji is a lot smarter than he looks.

Not thinking ahead is a bitch!
Dec 13, 2009 1:02 PM

Apr 2009
I don't get it... if the guy who has bought out the papers is going upstairs whats Kaiji's problem? That means the papers have been used and he has rocks... if the papers haven't been used then how can Kitami go upstairs holding all those papers. To go upstairs one has to have no cards. Then again they weren't useful to him in the first place, Kaiji has the rocks and he hasn't been playing. And if he didn't need to use them(or even could) why buy them in the first place? Just to screw Kaiji? Come on...
Alas86Dec 13, 2009 1:49 PM
Dec 20, 2009 4:16 AM
Oct 2009
does remind me of Death Note tho...
Mar 21, 2010 9:03 AM
Jan 2010
Man, those sidekicks piss me off. They haven't done anything but screw up for the whole show.
ZEN ZEN DAME DA
Jul 16, 2010 12:05 PM

Jan 2010
Hmm... why would they have to pay to get cards? Wouldn't people who already have 3 stars give them their cards freely? That way they won't risk losing their stars if they get rid of their cards.
Jul 25, 2010 2:02 PM

Dec 2008
Why would someone who only has Rocks challenge someone who apparently only has Papers? It doesn't make any sense, unless Kaiji managed to get a Scissors and I missed it.
Nov 17, 2010 7:56 AM

May 2010
Their plan was kinda intense if it succeeded but another trio smartly countered it..

werr-y said:
Hmm... why would they have to pay to get cards? Wouldn't people who already have 3 stars give them their cards freely? That way they won't risk losing their stars if they get rid of their cards.

I thought of this too but maybe it's just for token of gratitude that they'll have the cards.
Apr 13, 2011 4:48 PM
Feb 2011
Getting all the rocks makes no sense... after a few games, everyone would notice he only has rocks. furthermore, it doesn't increase his chances any. 50/50 whether the opponent would play a paper or a scissors. that's just disregarding the chance that somone will notice they are gathering rocks. a very large chance, seeing as how he tells people with 3 stars to gather ten rocks, and he'll take them and the rest of their deck for 2 million.

I must be pretty smart since im apparently the only 1 here that sees this...
trademark2Apr 13, 2011 4:58 PM
Apr 15, 2011 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
trademark2 said:
Getting all the rocks makes no sense... after a few games, everyone would notice he only has rocks. furthermore, it doesn't increase his chances any. 50/50 whether the opponent would play a paper or a scissors. that's just disregarding the chance that somone will notice they are gathering rocks. a very large chance, seeing as how he tells people with 3 stars to gather ten rocks, and he'll take them and the rest of their deck for 2 million.

Nobody said or thought that Kaiji's strategy of gathering rocks is a good one except the two sidekicks but those two are retards. Besides, the reason he bought cards from those with 3 stars or more is so that they go upstairs and in doing so, can't tell the remaining players about this strategy.

So no, you are not pretty smart for noticing that this strategy sucks. Turns out the best strategy is either to double-cross people like Funai or play four of a kind against a balanced player and NOT giving away stars.
Apr 20, 2011 7:16 PM
Feb 2011
Minami-Nan said:
trademark2 said:

Nobody said or thought that Kaiji's strategy of gathering rocks is a good one except the two sidekicks but those two are retards. Besides, the reason he bought cards from those with 3 stars or more is so that they go upstairs and in doing so, can't tell the remaining players about this strategy.

are you Serious?

first of all, almost everyone on page 1 is gushing about how great this show is, and some have said its a great strategy. Saying this show is great on this particular episode means don't see anything wrong with it. apparently, many people think this strategy makes sense for some reason. Not only that, why would kaiji be using a strategy that he thought wasn't good.

second of all, he asked the 3 stars to get TEN rocks before he would buy their decks. are the 3 stars going to care who they get them from? no. so there are going to be a handful of 3 stars wandering around the room buying rocks. someone might notice? They wont be able to tell who is buying rocks, but they will know that someone is.

trademark2Apr 20, 2011 7:31 PM
Apr 22, 2011 11:19 PM

Feb 2010
trademark2 said:

are you Serious?

first of all, almost everyone on page 1 is gushing about how great this show is, and some have said its a great strategy. Saying this show is great on this particular episode means don't see anything wrong with it. apparently, many people think this strategy makes sense for some reason. Not only that, why would kaiji be using a strategy that he thought wasn't good.

second of all, he asked the 3 stars to get TEN rocks before he would buy their decks. are the 3 stars going to care who they get them from? no. so there are going to be a handful of 3 stars wandering around the room buying rocks. someone might notice? They wont be able to tell who is buying rocks, but they will know that someone is.

I have to say you always have exceptions. I never thought this strategy of buying rocks was a good one. It's also quite impossible to gather 30 rocks let alone doing it unnoticed. As I said, he bought from 3 stars so they can go upstairs and not tell about someone buying rocks cause it's not their problem anymore. Some people will notice three stars players buying cards NOT necessarily rocks. The only way you know someone is stocking (not even buying) rocks is only because of the board with the countdown.

Kaiji just got overconfident. He never thought somebody else would have the same idea which is plain arrogance so yeah the strategy is still crap. It would only work if you are the ONLY one who thought about it but in a room with so many players, arrogance will cause your downfall unless they are all retarded like Andou and don't understand shit about what's going on.
Oct 24, 2011 5:40 PM

Oct 2008
Andou and Furuhata are disgraces. They aren't completely loyal to Kaiji, and they are also rash. They do nothing but hold Kaiji back.

Oct 30, 2011 10:55 AM

Oct 2011
Rock plan was stupid. What if someone only has all papers, or all rocks? I dont think he bought all the rocks, unless I missed something. This plan will only work if there's a ton of scissors and almost no papers.
Even then, all of the rocks have to be in Kaiji's hand. I dont get it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2012 11:23 AM

Aug 2011
Wow, the episode just started and it's already over.
Nov 9, 2012 1:52 PM

Apr 2012
Ah, I wonder if the translation was wrong or if they really didn't know how to use the word 'ratio' properly. Lol. Was a pretty good episode though.
Jan 3, 2013 6:45 PM

Dec 2010
Just when I thought this was getting good, they bring another predictable episode.

Next episode could be interesting, though.
Apr 20, 2013 4:34 PM
Jul 2012
Ugh this episode is soooo boring and predictable.
Those teammates of Kaji are annoying as shit.Even they lost of their starts. I wish those two will lose.
Hope the yellow hair will beat them.
Kaji's strategies are quite dumb.
1/5
Jun 25, 2014 8:59 PM

Jun 2012
If kaiji figured out someone bought out paper he shouldve played when scissors were still at 80 instead of waiting until 40. but why would kaiji suggest a death match when the other guy clearly only owns paper?
Aug 8, 2014 9:25 AM

Dec 2009
I wonder...

If Kaiji has all the remaining rocks and that other group has all the remaining papers, aren't they both screwed if one of them decides not to play at all? In this case, it would be Kajij refusing, since he only has the losing cards and could at least bring the enemy group down with him. And yet sir blond guy is pretty confident about his case regardless.
Jan 6, 2015 6:57 PM

Nov 2013
Kaiji should have just ditched the two when he got 3 stars.
Rock plan was stupid.
Kaiji must have something up his sleeve to challenge someone with only paper; he has to.

I can see you

May 4, 2015 4:19 PM
Nov 2014
Damn that plan got fucked fast xD. Andou and Furuhata are both dragging Kaiji down by the looks of it :P
May 6, 2015 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
Ugh two deadweights who panic and drag Kaiji down. Honestly Kaiji should have left them to their demising ends

Jun 15, 2015 5:53 PM

Mar 2014
I think this episode got a bit better. Kaiji stepped his game up a notch, but still left out a lot of concerns he overlooked. Anyone could tell they were discussing a plan by the way they were huddling together everywhere around the lobby, only to disappear into the restroom and have one person on the look for the count. The plan wasn't too bad, but they should've dealt with the secrecy problem from the very start. That could've also spared them some time to realize another person was buying out rocks.
Oct 20, 2015 5:25 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was pretty clever at the end. Of course, he have no guarantee that the other guy will play all his stars. But if that guy lose one star, he'll definitely want to try to get it back. Then, if he lose another one, he'll feel like he got fooled, so he'll try end, until he lose all its star. I don't think that the next episode title despair is for Kaiji, but instead for that new guy.

Anyway, they had a fine strategy. But it was really relying too much on one factor. Also, his teamate really drag him down. It's not very cool, but he should dump them as soon as possible. What am I even saying? It's because of the fucking green shirt guy that he's in this shit anyway. Not only he should dump him, but he should get his damn star too.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 3, 2015 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
Things got really messed up.

I think kaiji should have ditched those two retards since he won two games against that other guy.
Feb 25, 2016 2:01 AM

Mar 2012
zat-bust said:
Ugh two deadweights who panic and drag Kaiji down. Honestly Kaiji should have left them to their demising ends

Yep, just screwing him over time after time.
Jul 27, 2016 8:56 AM

Jul 2010
So they won 1 star right? his friend are so fool
Aug 21, 2017 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
Once they found out who was buying all the paper, couldn't Kaiji and the group just challenge anyone else, who would most likely have scissors?
Still, really interesting how the strategist protagonist's plan bombs, just from a simple lack of thinking.
Aug 28, 2017 5:29 PM

May 2016
He gave them his stars and they gave them away again... Jeez, those morons sure can't stick to the plan '^'

His plan was almost a sure win if only someone else didn't think of the same trick, which was unlikely considering the conniving weasels all around the room. It'd be easier if they played against those who only have scissor cards because of the hoarding but a squareoff between the two parties who masterminded the plot sounds more intense.
Kajo_Senpai69Aug 28, 2017 5:34 PM

Sep 24, 2017 3:08 AM

Jan 2010
i'm expecting kaiji to have bought some scissors...

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 30, 2017 2:42 AM

Feb 2013
His plan didn't work.
Andou and Furuhata are too easy to trick.
Nov 13, 2017 4:32 PM

Nov 2017
Damn, despair and solutions, not necessarily in the same order haha. It seems Kaiji is pretty much fucked up and I'm quite curious to know what happens then. Still hooked. 5/5
Dec 2, 2017 10:34 PM

Jul 2016
i'm far too sleepy to write much more than this, but this anime really does make you feel the despair of the situation. i wished that he would have just taken the two stars for himself as safe keeping, those two are too easily penetrated by their own emotions - after all, they are the normal humans out of that group. the disappearing scissors, the paper group, ah it would truly have been an overwhelming winning strategy if the paper group had not existed.
Mar 6, 2018 3:36 AM

Nov 2016
They plan didn't work out and the situation became even worse. The feeling of being in Danger in this show is so strong.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.