Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 9, 2013 5:49 AM

Apr 2011
Nenthus said:
Do people actually list all their entries in here? Heh.

If I remember correctly, this site is called MyAnimeList. But then again, what's the point in listing all our anime here, right?
Oct 9, 2013 5:49 AM

Aug 2011
AqworldThunder said:
Nenthus said:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/DateYutaka

'Nuff said.

Been proven as a bullshitter on many occasions.
Oct 9, 2013 5:52 AM
May 2010
mitch3315 said:
AqworldThunder said:
Nenthus said:

'Nuff said.

I remember the time he posted what was clearly not his collection of anime, but when else has he been 'proven' as a bullshitter?

Im not disagreeing, simply curious what else I missed or cant remember.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 6:06 AM

May 2012
It mostly depends on their favorites, that is how I rate experience. If you have watched 500 anime and have Attack on Titan, Elfen Lied, or Angel Beats! in your favorites, then I consider you to be inexperienced although you have watched more anime.
Oct 9, 2013 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
Paul said:
Welcome to MAL, a site where we think our epeen matters! Have you read our slogan? "Every anime is shit, so everyone has shit taste!" Feel free to check the site definition on urban dictionary. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=myanimelist.net)

I thought the slogan was My Anime List > Your Anime List.
Oct 9, 2013 6:09 AM

Aug 2011
miereneronaile said:
mitch3315 said:
AqworldThunder said:
Nenthus said:

'Nuff said.

I remember the time he posted what was clearly not his collection of anime, but when else has he been 'proven' as a bullshitter?

Im not disagreeing, simply curious what else I missed or cant remember.

That picture of someone else's collection was a double bullshit, it was posted to prove the legitimacy of his claim that he spent $8,000,000 on his anime collection. A few months later he would tell people he doesn't buy anime, he only rents, which would mean he has no collection to show off, but apparently he does have one. Then there was his old profile picture, who he would tell people was his girlfriend, when in fact she was cut out of an ad for an Asian dating site.

PoeticJustice said:
It mostly depends on their favorites, that is how I rate experience. If you have watched 500 anime and have Attack on Titan, Elfen Lied, or Angel Beats! in your favorites, then I consider you to be inexperienced although you have watched more anime.

So, if someone has a different opinion to you they are less experienced?
Oct 9, 2013 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
mitch3315 said:
PoeticJustice said:

So, if someone has a different opinion to you they are less experienced?

*points to signature*
vvvvv

ObjurgoOct 9, 2013 6:19 AM
Oct 9, 2013 6:26 AM

Apr 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
Well it goes without saying, a person that has seen more than another is more likely to be more knowledgeable in the subject, but that doesn't give those with bigger lists the right to call their opinion "lesser" or say that "he doesn't know what he is talking about" just because of that. It makes them appear to be an arrogant snobby elitist. You know who you are.

Funny how some people would look at a post, and that persons list would decide whether they know what they are on about or not. It's very silly.

That's great, except for the fact that, thanks to my history with the medium, I can easily explain and articulate my points while providing facts, reasoning, and an abundance of proof to that end - while Mr.20AnimeTotal just throws buzzwords, fallacies, and insults in response. Not because he's an immature child (okay, sometimes he is) - but because he genuinely has nothing else he can reply with and is also the type of person who believes he can't simply admit he was wrong on the internet, let alone about cartoons (god forbid!).

"I" and "you" are hypothetical people.

Point being - experience is a factual thing, not an opinionated one. You, by definition, have more experience with something than someone else who spent less time with it.

More importantly, going back to an earlier post I made in this thread (actual me!) - the main argument you're making is that people who have seen more are being 'elitist' by pointing out someone who has seen less doesn't know what he's talking about.

There's nothing 'elitist' about that.

For example, that thread earlier about the guy claiming "most" anime do something was simply bullshit he made up. Most anime do not do that and, even if they did, he would not know that.

It is not being 'elitist' to tell him to not talk out of his ass. As an example, I (actual me again) never once stated how many anime I saw in that thread, I simply pointed out that based on how many he has seen he is not in the position to make such sweeping generalizations about the medium. This is not elitism - it's just not being a fucking moron. Being an elitist requires treating yourself as superior - I never once did that, I simply pointed out he had no merit to be making the claims he was making, his response was fallacy (deflection), just like as stated in the hypothetical above.

Many people who have seen "a lot" in comparison to "the average viewer" don't even consider ourselves as having seen a lot, let alone go around bragging about it or treating others as 'lesser' for seeing less. We have factually seen more than someone who has seen less than us, but, I for example don't really care about that.

However, once you start making blanket statements about the medium without ANY experience whatsoever with the medium? Then, yes, I'm able to call you out on that. Anyone is. Whether they've seen 10 shows, seen less than you, or seen a thousand. If you are talking out of your ass, you are talking out of your ass.

Very few people are actual elitists - and actually the types you're defending are more like elitists than most people who have seen more anime. Those types who sit around making blanket statements, claiming 'ive seen all the good anime', and other shit like that who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE THREADS BITCHING OR COMPLAINING OR WHINING ABOUT THE INDUSTRY OR MEDIUM are the ones acting like elitists. "Why is all new anime moeshit" "Why is every anime about teenage girls" "why is every romcom the same". THESE people are acting like elitists, not the ones telling them to shut the fuck up.

I don't care how much you have or haven't seen on the regular or in a typical discussion. I care that you're spouting sweeping remarks about the entire industry or medium without the knowledge to back that up. You being 'you' - not you.

I completely agree.
I have over 500 completed entries and would consider myself barely above a beginner when it comes to understanding the entire medium. However, I will always call out people who make stupid statements like "everything new sucks, 80s best" or "popular = good" because that is just buzzing around without any factual basis. Especially when all the "Shounen experts" who only watched (not even read) 5 WSJ try to make general statements about an entire freaking demographic or dumb elitists who claim that everything sucks except [Series x] and that this shoudl be the fix point for any production.

You can make observations on how sekai kei series dominated certain parts of the LN industry and how the boom after Haruhi affected the medium (and you might come to a negative conclusion considering all presented arguments), but simply shouting MOESHIT SUX is just being dumb and everyone has the right to call you dumb if you do so.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 9, 2013 6:28 AM
May 2010
PoeticJustice said:

Thats funny, what I do is check that they dont have Mushishi, RahXephon, Texhnolyze, bebop or Mawaru Penguindrum in their favorites and then assume they are clearly gods of understanding for not putting these pieces of trash in their favorites.

But hey, to each their own right?
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 6:33 AM

Apr 2009
miereneronaile said:
PoeticJustice said:

Thats funny, what I do is check that they dont have Mushishi, RahXephon, Texhnolyze, bebop or Mawaru Penguindrum in their favorites and then assume they are clearly gods of understanding for not putting these pieces of trash in their favorites.

Favourites =/= best series.
I have favourites because I favour them over other entries who I think might be superior overall. They show my personal bias and tastes and are entirely different from my critical viewpoint on a series.
And it goes without saying that someone who watched 500 harems out of 510 overall entries might be a harem expert, but is a total beginner when it comes to action or SoL.
Oct 9, 2013 6:34 AM
May 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
miereneronaile said:
PoeticJustice said:

Favourites =/= best series.
I have favourites because I favour them over other entries who I think might be superior overall. They show my personal bias and tastes and are entirely different from my critical viewpoint on a series.
And it goes without saying that someone who watched 500 harems out of 510 overall entries might be a harem expert, but is a total beginner when it comes to action or SoL.

Umm, I do agree with you but im not quite sure why that was relevant to the idiot who suggested our favorites indicate our experience with anime and not our yaknow, amount of anime watched or me mocking him for it.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2009
I was just pointing out that favourites are largely irrelevant when I assess a person's reliability and anime experience. I met people who watched 1k anime, had Bleach in their favourites and yet knew it was bad (and some who thought it was 10/10). And I met people with only 10 watched anime and LotGH and Angel's Egg in their favourites. I wouldn't trust either of them under certain conditions, but I'd assume that the one with 1k+ titles more likely has an overview over the evolution of anime (emergence/boom of genres, milestones, popular titles in each era, studios, directors, etc.).
Then again, if he rates all the series with very obvious flaws like Naruto or SAO high even after 1k titles I assume some people just don't want to learn. In any case I would almost never consider the opinion of Mr "10 anime+ SAO, Naruto, Bleach in his favourites" to be relevant as it is a very strong indicator that this person is a very casual watcher that does not care about the medium in such details and is thus prone to formulate generalizations.
NidhoeggrOct 9, 2013 6:44 AM
Oct 9, 2013 6:44 AM
May 2010
Ahh all right, for me personally my favorites are the shows I think were best, but I can understand why you would think of it the way you described. I just wasnt sure why you posted it after quoting what I thought was a pretty clearly silly post of mine lol. I get it now though, thanks:)
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 6:50 AM

Apr 2013
Paul said:
Welcome to MAL, a site where we think our epeen matters! Have you read our slogan? "Every anime is shit, so everyone has shit taste!" Feel free to check the site definition on urban dictionary. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=myanimelist.net)

It never fails to crack me up...
The best thing is that there are a couple of posts in this thread that absolutely are in line with what's written in there.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 9, 2013 6:55 AM

Apr 2009
geralt said:
Paul said:

It never fails to crack me up...
The best thing is that there are a couple of posts in this thread that absolutely are in line with what's written in there.

Seriously: Who expected a site that has open rating systems and displays your watched time and overall amount in a graph NOT to be a e-penis contest?
And looking at most of the forum posts I wouldn't call MAL elitist per se as most people - no matter what they say - rate purely on enjoyment. However, the behaviour of these people often made me call them "enjoyment elitists" as they are acting exactly like "elitists", just with enjoyment as their modus operandi.
Oct 9, 2013 7:07 AM

Aug 2013
I suppose it can be important for discussions.

But you could also just read TV tropes all day.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Oct 9, 2013 7:10 AM

Aug 2013
I consider myself apprentice level.
Oct 9, 2013 7:31 AM

Aug 2013
If you start a job, who would you like to teach you, one who has ten years of experience, or one who has just started?

I particularly don't care about how much or how little a person has read/watched, but I understand the logic being wanting to go with the said, "more experienced" choice.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks appeal."
Oct 9, 2013 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
Well it goes without saying, a person that has seen more than another is more likely to be more knowledgeable in the subject, but that doesn't give those with bigger lists the right to call their opinion "lesser" or say that "he doesn't know what he is talking about" just because of that. It makes them appear to be an arrogant snobby elitist. You know who you are.

Funny how some people would look at a post, and that persons list would decide whether they know what they are on about or not. It's very silly.

That's great, except for the fact that, thanks to my history with the medium, I can easily explain and articulate my points while providing facts, reasoning, and an abundance of proof to that end - while Mr.20AnimeTotal just throws buzzwords, fallacies, and insults in response. Not because he's an immature child (okay, sometimes he is) - but because he genuinely has nothing else he can reply with and is also the type of person who believes he can't simply admit he was wrong on the internet, let alone about cartoons (god forbid!).

"I" and "you" are hypothetical people.

Point being - experience is a factual thing, not an opinionated one. You, by definition, have more experience with something than someone else who spent less time with it.

More importantly, going back to an earlier post I made in this thread (actual me!) - the main argument you're making is that people who have seen more are being 'elitist' by pointing out someone who has seen less doesn't know what he's talking about.

There's nothing 'elitist' about that.

For example, that thread earlier about the guy claiming "most" anime do something was simply bullshit he made up. Most anime do not do that and, even if they did, he would not know that.

It is not being 'elitist' to tell him to not talk out of his ass. As an example, I (actual me again) never once stated how many anime I saw in that thread, I simply pointed out that based on how many he has seen he is not in the position to make such sweeping generalizations about the medium. This is not elitism - it's just not being a fucking moron. Being an elitist requires treating yourself as superior - I never once did that, I simply pointed out he had no merit to be making the claims he was making, his response was fallacy (deflection), just like as stated in the hypothetical above.

Many people who have seen "a lot" in comparison to "the average viewer" don't even consider ourselves as having seen a lot, let alone go around bragging about it or treating others as 'lesser' for seeing less. We have factually seen more than someone who has seen less than us, but, I for example don't really care about that.

However, once you start making blanket statements about the medium without ANY experience whatsoever with the medium? Then, yes, I'm able to call you out on that. Anyone is. Whether they've seen 10 shows, seen less than you, or seen a thousand. If you are talking out of your ass, you are talking out of your ass.

Very few people are actual elitists - and actually the types you're defending are more like elitists than most people who have seen more anime. Those types who sit around making blanket statements, claiming 'ive seen all the good anime', and other shit like that who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE THREADS BITCHING OR COMPLAINING OR WHINING ABOUT THE INDUSTRY OR MEDIUM are the ones acting like elitists. "Why is all new anime moeshit" "Why is every anime about teenage girls" "why is every romcom the same". THESE people are acting like elitists, not the ones telling them to shut the fuck up.

I don't care how much you have or haven't seen on the regular or in a typical discussion. I care that you're spouting sweeping remarks about the entire industry or medium without the knowledge to back that up. You being 'you' - not you.
That's why you danced around my shift thread using LOGICAL FALLACIES, insults, expletives and no logic. Answer me this if I say that the majority of movies from the 30's were in black and white not color but I have not seen a lot of movies from the 30's does that make my point invalid and a baseless generalization? Also if I said there were more American movies focusing on the Cold War during the Cold War period (1947-1991) than now but I have not watched a large amount of American movies during that time period those that make my point invalid?
Oct 9, 2013 9:35 AM

Nov 2012
I smell that OP want to build his EGO by this thread.

I just chacked your scores, someone who rate something 1 just to lower it's score for sure isn't experienced one, you are rather kid that cry that his fave anime isnt high in ranking.
Oct 9, 2013 9:50 AM

May 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Actually, he made a valid point in that almost all anime have pretty high school aged girls, with some series where it doesn't even make sense for them to be there. See this is what I mean, you didn't even look at his post at all -.-
Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM

Nov 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Actually, he made a valid point in that almost all anime have pretty high school aged girls, with some series where it doesn't even make sense for them to be there. See this is what I mean, you didn't even look at his post at all -.-
And now you're doing the same thing he did.
Oct 9, 2013 9:59 AM

Jun 2008
Do people really judge users on the amount of shows in their completed list?

That's just dumb.
Oct 9, 2013 10:02 AM

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Dark_Chaos said:

And now you're doing the same thing he did.

No, I looked at it all, but he's basically repeating what he said yesterday in another thread, which I responded to.

Mod Edit: long quote chain put in spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 14, 2013 10:52 AM
Oct 9, 2013 10:04 AM

Nov 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No, I looked at it all, but he's basically repeating what he said yesterday in another thread, which I responded to.
I'm talking about the generalizing about almost all anime having pretty high school girls(as the main characters) that are in there for no reason.

Mod Edit: long quote chain put in spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 14, 2013 10:50 AM
Oct 9, 2013 10:16 AM

Aug 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

You call that a logical fallacy more specifically an ad hominem. He didn't look at his post at all because he is an elitist who believes that even though that person might have a valid point he has not watched as much anime as him so his point is automatically invalid. Ad hominem is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument. You haven't watch as much anime as me so your opinion doesn't matter is one of the most used ad hominems by Mal elitists.
Oct 9, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Dark_Chaos said:
I'm talking about the generalizing about almost all anime having pretty high school girls(as the main characters) that are in there for no reason.

Hmmmm, true, I guess "almost all" would be pushing it now, wouldn't it? Well a very large chunk anyway, that I think cannot be denied.

Mod Edit: long quote chain put in spoiler tag
ThangLongOct 14, 2013 11:04 AM
Oct 9, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2013
A friend of mine always say (i'm not sure whose quote is that) but it goes:
"Quality over quantity", which I think can make the whole difference in this post, person A might have watched 500 series but that doesn't mean he can judge better that the 50 ainme guy sometimes.

Its clear that whomever watched like 200 or more will claim that he is better and I think he is right is some parts, but not all, or so.

Oct 9, 2013 10:28 AM

Nov 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
Hmmmm, true, I guess "almost all" would be pushing it now, wouldn't it? Well a very large chunk anyway, that I think cannot be denied.
Very much so. Define a very large chunk, keep in mind there are 9,000 anime in this database.
Oct 9, 2013 10:31 AM

Sep 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
You call that a logical fallacy more specifically an ad hominem. He didn't look at his post at all because he is an elitist who believes that even though that person might have a valid point he has not watched as much anime as him so his point is automatically invalid. Ad hominem is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument. You haven't watch as much anime as me so your opinion doesn't matter is one of the most used ad hominems by Mal elitists.
I haven't seen more than 3 episodes of the Dragon Ball franchise.

But most of the episodes are fillers, where they do nothing but shout obnoxiously at each other. Most of the characters are completely shallow and only care about being "the most strongest". It's a bad show.
Oct 9, 2013 11:08 AM

May 2013
Considering anime is a form of entertainment, I will not pretend to be an expert no matter how many anime I've seen.

If someone makes a point on an anime I have seen and I have an opinion I will give it.

Sadly too many people HAVE to be 'right' it would seem...
Oct 9, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2012
Manganese said:
Considering anime is a form of entertainment, I will not pretend to be an expert no matter how many anime I've seen.

If someone makes a point on an anime I have seen and I have an opinion I will give it.

Sadly too many people HAVE to be 'right' it would seem...

I agree. I wonder at what cost being an expert comes? I may consider myself knowledgeable on anime - having watched it for a long time - but I'm no expert as well.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 9, 2013 3:05 PM

Oct 2010
TallonKarrde is not an elitist. He may be a fanboy, a failed mod, a toughie, an elitist... but he is not a porn star!

Seriously though, it's not that I understand the point of a generalization like "most anime have pretty high school girls". This is not even debatable. It is right or wrong. If you can prove this, do it, if you can't, it's a baseless statement. I guess that, if there are 9000 shows, it's as easy as finding 4501 of them that fit this definition.

Anyway and on topic. Even though I won't necessarily rely more on the opinion of somebody who has watched more stuff, because there are always other factors playing in there, it is still clear to me that people acquire experience from trying and therefore in that sense alone I will assume that person A is more knowledgeable than person B.

Other than that I don't quite understand the trend to treat the medium as a whole instead of discussing the specific shows which are different and independent enough. In most cases it is baseless, insanely difficult to discuss and in the end fruitless.
Oct 9, 2013 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
If someone, for example, having only watched DBZ and Fairy Tail took it upon himself to exclaim how Fairy Tail is the best anime ever made, I might explain to him that both DBZ and Fairy Tail contain very specific elements that exist in countless other anime (which I will dub the 'shounen fight' genre). If this person then, feeling a bit smart, likes to invalidate the meaning behind my assertion by saying that all works of fiction hold the same archetypes of every work that preceded it, then I might be inclined to consider him an idiot that's green behind the ears. For it's not his inexperience that mocks him but his words, having started an argument that he could not substantiate through experience nor research.

And to this end, I am an 'elitist' -- and proud of it. I will consider anyone, if we were to generalize anime 'elitism' across other ordinary experiences like asking advice from a doctor or doing business consultations, that is against 'elitism' to also be an idiot. Your doctor is not necessarily right about medicine because he is a doctor; rather, he is a doctor because he is mostly right about medicine. That is why he is qualified for his profession and you not. Anyone who contests his doctor's advice should have reasonable suspicions and the research to support the idea.

I do not purport that anyone who has watched a lot of anime has the qualifications that a doctor has of medicine. However, someone who has seen more anime has the qualifications to make common observations across a larger sample size, or to make comparisons of similarities or differences between it. Someone who has seen 300 anime is not necessarily an authority to someone with 290 notches on the belt, nor 250. But for the spread to be 500 and 50, the newbie would do well to shut the fuck up, open his fucking ears and listen -- he might learn something.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 9, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:

But most of the episodes are fillers, where they do nothing but shout obnoxiously at each other. Most of the characters are completely shallow and only care about being "the most strongest". It's a bad show.
The anime adaption of the later part of the Dragon Ball manga entitled Dragon Ball Z had a lot of fillers especially fillers within the canon story which sometimes involved characters charging up for an extended period of time so much so that Toei created Kai to remove a large amount of the fillers. Being the strongest or most powerful is a main part of DBZ. You stating that it is a bad show with shallow characters is your own personal opinion. Now if I had responded to you with an ad hominem I would of said you cannot say the Dragon Ball series has a lot of fillers because you have only watched 3 episodes and you are not a fan so you are inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to the series thus anything you say about the Dragon Ball series is invalid. Generalizations usually have some little bit of truth to them.
Oct 9, 2013 5:22 PM

Aug 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Having a huge list does not automatically make you in the right every single time, but I find that long-time watchers don't make as many dumb assumptions as certain people.

DrGeroCreation said:
Aren't you the guy who generalized several years based off like a few titles each or some shit?

Anyone can do that too

"herp Fate/Zero was popular in 2012 and it's dark
derp Shingeki no Kyojin was popular in 2013 and it's dark
herp Madoka Magica was popular in 2012 and it's dark
Therefore, all recent anime is dark"
Please learn to read and comprehend then read my thread that was locked .

Mod Edit: long quote chain put in spoiler tag. Provocative word removed
ThangLongOct 14, 2013 11:11 AM
Oct 9, 2013 5:23 PM
May 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:

The anime adaption of the later part of the Dragon Ball manga entitled Dragon Ball Z had a lot of fillers especially fillers within the canon story which sometimes involved characters charging up for an extended period of time so much so that Toei created Kai to remove a large amount of the fillers. Being the strongest or most powerful is a main part of DBZ. You stating that it is a bad show with shallow characters is your own personal opinion. Now if I had responded to you with an ad hominem I would of said you cannot say the Dragon Ball series has a lot of fillers because you have only watched 3 episodes and you are not a fan so you are inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to the series thus anything you say about the Dragon Ball series is invalid. Generalizations usually have some little bit of truth to them.

Its worth noting that something being an ad hominem doesnt actually make it not true..

That said, I see nothing wrong with pointing out that someone lacks the knowledge base for their statements. That is not attacking THEM, it is attacking their research.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 5:26 PM

Oct 2009
jal90 said:

Other than that I don't quite understand the trend to treat the medium as a whole instead of discussing the specific shows which are different and independent enough. In most cases it is baseless, insanely difficult to discuss and in the end fruitless.

This summed up most anime related argument in MAL. Instead taking each case separately, MAL often take on the whole genre or themes. Saying 'some' of it fits the criteria may be true, but MAL often overstretch its statement to a generalization. The only way to counter or prove this statement is to analyze each one of its population to check its validity.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 9, 2013 5:53 PM
Oct 2010
azzuRe said:
jal90 said:

This summed up most anime related argument in MAL. Instead taking each case separately, MAL often take on the whole genre or themes. Saying 'some' of it fits the criteria may be true, but MAL often overstretch its statement to a generalization. The only way to counter or prove this statement is to analyze each one of its population to check its validity.

Ah yes but that is not a characteristic of MAL, this is a general phenomenon in all forums.
Too subtle?
Oct 9, 2013 6:22 PM
Oct 2010
jal90 said:
He may be a fanboy, a failed mod, a toughie, an elitist... but he is not a porn star!

haha wow that dude was a mod? Crazy
Oct 9, 2013 6:40 PM

Aug 2013
miereneronaile said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Its worth noting that something being an ad hominem doesnt actually make it not true..

That said, I see nothing wrong with pointing out that someone lacks the knowledge base for their statements. That is not attacking THEM, it is attacking their research.
You can point out that the person lacks the knowledge for their statements but you cannot use that as a basis to disregard everything they have said because they could bring up valid points. For example even though Red_Keys has only watched 3 episodes of the Dragon Ball series he brings up a relevant point about filler although he is over exaggerating about it. DBZ which is part of the Dragon Ball series has a lot of fillers there is no denying that . This is a point I must touch on if I just disregard it and say Red_Keys is ignorant about the series because he hasn't watched as much episodes as me then I am just attacking him and not debating the topic. In simpler terms I would just be using a cheap shot so as to run away from the discussion.

ThangLongOct 14, 2013 11:15 AM
Oct 9, 2013 6:52 PM

Dec 2012
But it's okay, because people like this make proud to have a life away from anime.
Oct 9, 2013 6:55 PM
May 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
miereneronaile said:
You can point out that the person lacks the knowledge for their statements but you cannot use that as a basis to disregard everything they have said because they could bring up valid points. For example even though Red_Keys has only watched 3 episodes of the Dragon Ball series he brings up a relevant point about filler although he is over exaggerating about it. DBZ which is part of the Dragon Ball series has a lot of fillers there is no denying that . This is a point I must touch on if I just disregard it and say Red_Keys is ignorant about the series because he hasn't watched as much episodes as me then I am just attacking him and not debating the topic. In simpler terms I would just be using a cheap shot so as to run away from the discussion.

No, but I can ACCURATELY point out that they are guessing and lack the grounds ot make the statements they are making, as well as the fact they do not have a fucking clue what they are talking about.

They look stupid for making the assumption in the first place, ESPECIALLY if the assumption is wrong but even when it is right its stupid. If they want to make these assumptions, they should do the research first.

Finally, in my experience he is not right ANYWAY(The OP) which makes it even worse in this case.

AwkwardPhoenix said:
But it's okay, because people like this make proud to have a life away from anime.

questionmark?

ThangLongOct 14, 2013 11:13 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 6:59 PM

Jul 2012
Well...People who have seen more aren't necessarily more knowledgeable about anime.
Plus watching just whatever and not thinning some shows out for the really good ones or discovering one's taste seems like a waste of time.
Oct 9, 2013 7:03 PM

Sep 2012
Ad homonym only works as a logical fallacy if your argument is dependent on it.

"You are inexperienced, therefore you don't know what you are talking about" is not ad homonym. It's common sense.

I'm inexperienced in the field of astrophysics. Likewise, I know absolute dick about astrophysics, and an astrophysics professor telling me that I am wrong if I try and explain a problem to him that I don't know, is not ad homonym. This isn't a hard concept.
Oct 9, 2013 7:03 PM
May 2010
Battlechili1 said:
Well...People who have seen more aren't necessarily more knowledgeable about anime.
Plus watching just whatever and not thinning some shows out for the really good ones or discovering one's taste seems like a waste of time.

Who said the people with large numbers of shows watched were not only watching things they enjoy?
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 9, 2013 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
miereneronaile said:
Battlechili1 said:

Who said the people with large numbers of shows watched were not only watching things they enjoy?

I'm not saying they weren't.
I'm saying people who just watch whatever and don't skip some shows might be watching things they don't enjoy. Some people who have watched a lot of anime though may have watched anime in this manner.
Oct 9, 2013 7:10 PM

Nov 2010
Battlechili1 said:
miereneronaile said:
Battlechili1 said:

I'm not saying they weren't.
I'm saying people who just watch whatever and don't skip some shows might be watching things they don't enjoy. Some people who have watched a lot of anime though may have watched anime in this manner.
Watching shows you don't enjoy is also a way to help you find your taste. You know exactly what you don't like to see done, etc. Nobody can watch only anime that they really like on their first try.
Oct 9, 2013 7:12 PM

Oct 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:

There are things about a show that is possible to learn from 3 episodes, such as perhaps its narrative style, propensity for cliches, character tropes, and other such aspects. Not amongst those is the idea that a show has a lot of fillers, because especially considering the length of the show, 3 episodes wouldn't be enough to make this kind of quantitative judgment about it. While I disagree with Red_Key's frankly extreme idea that nothing could be learned from 3 episodes, as if the person watching is just brain dead until being activated some arbitrary number of episodes in, it is also not an issue to expect a person who is making a claim to defend his claim: in this case, how does he know there are a lot of fillers? Maybe he did research on Wikipedia; that would be a valid defense. But on the account that he is unable to produce evidence for his knowledge, then it is very rational to claim that his argument is invalid due to the lack of evidence (even if it is sound). Thus it is not ad hominem to claim that someone who has only seen 3 episodes of DBZ lacks knowledge about DBZ if we give him the opportunity of defense -- it is a relevant fact, not an attack on his personality.

If we ignore a valid defense and say that he is still wrong: for example, if he reveals that he has looked up the fillers from the Wiki, then the fact that he has seen 3 episodes is not that important to his knowledge of fillers in DBZ anymore. To attack him on the account of those 3 episodes and dismiss his argument might then be ad hominem. Likewise, to dismiss someone on account that he is an 'elitist' without actual evidence against his argument is also ad hominem. But to use relevant facts to dismiss his argument while calling him 'elitist' is not.

As an analogy, if someone brings up the assertion "God is watching you", I do not have to debate whether the assertion is true. First I ask "How do you know?" To which his lack of a reasonable response gives me grounds to dismiss the validity of his argument. In no way do I owe him to rationally debate an irrational statement. Whether "God is watching you" is sound is irrelevant until the person making the assertion could logically show the steps he used to arrive to that conclusion. The burden of proof is on him. It is not ad hominem to question his knowledge provided I give him a chance to explain himself.
katsucatsOct 9, 2013 7:30 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 1 hour ago

5 by Yonahim_Zz »»
9 seconds ago

» Blackmail netorare hentais are really dumb

Kingdom-ya - Yesterday

10 by Archean-Return »»
18 seconds ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 10 hours ago

49 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

37 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
9 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 40 minutes ago

4 by TRC_Randy »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.