Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 11, 2013 12:33 AM

Aug 2011
Aryna said:
TheProxy said:
Okay, how many anime is good enough?
You can never watch enough to make general statements about anime. People simply believe that the more they watch the more weight their opinion holds. If you're talking about a specific anime and not comparing it to all other anime, you don't need to have watched anything for your opinion to be worth as much as anyone else's.

This thread isn't about an opinion on a single anime though, it's about making sweeping statements. Of course no one can make 100% correct sweeping statements, no one has seen every anime. However someone with 500 would at least have a broader view then someone with 50, their sweeping statement would likely still be wrong, but it would be a safe bet that it's not as blatantly wrong as someone who has only seen 50.
Oct 11, 2013 12:33 AM

Jun 2007
DrGeroCreation said:
mitch3315 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
The majority of movies from the 30's were in black and white, I have not watched a large amount of movies from the 30's so I don't have a lot of experience with this medium during the aforementioned time period. Is my point then wrong?

This is entirely different to targeting the medium as a whole with a wide sweeping generalisation, you're simply targeting a period in time. Of course you can say any movie in the 1930s was in black and white, and I can say no anime from the 1930s has an English dub. I can't however say that no anime has an English dub, and you can't say that every movie is in black and white.
So then I suppose you agree with my shift thread where I was focusing on a time period? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=665581

>In other words
>So I suppose you

Why do you keep imagining people are saying things? Do you hear voices? And you keep doing it while making irrelevant non-points. That thread has absolutely no relation to what we're discussing or anything you've posted in this thread that was actually relevant to the discussion.
Oct 11, 2013 12:34 AM
May 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
mitch3315 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
The majority of movies from the 30's were in black and white, I have not watched a large amount of movies from the 30's so I don't have a lot of experience with this medium during the aforementioned time period. Is my point then wrong?

This is entirely different to targeting the medium as a whole with a wide sweeping generalisation, you're simply targeting a period in time. Of course you can say any movie in the 1930s was in black and white, and I can say no anime from the 1930s has an English dub. I can't however say that no anime has an English dub, and you can't say that every movie is in black and white.
So then I suppose you agree with my shift thread where I was focusing on a time period? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=665581

Umm, mediums change over time?

Yes? I only read your specific post but.. so what?
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 11, 2013 12:34 AM

Aug 2011
miereneronaile said:
mitch3315 said:
Vanisher said:

I remember someone with 600+ completed shows that gave SAO a fucking 9.

I've completed over 800 and I gave SAO a 10, problem?

Did you really or did you change that just to say it? I actually like SAO myself, so I have no problems with you doing so im just honestly curious. I mean, if I was rating the books not the anime id give it at least a 9 myself, maybe a 10.

I rate based on enjoyment. SAO was stupid as hell, but you know what? I enjoyed every second of it, and so I rated it accordingly.

Also, your list is awesome, and seeing chihaya singing like that totally randomly forced me to change my current song in my playlist. Totally unimportant but anyway.

Chihaya is always important.
Oct 11, 2013 12:36 AM
May 2010
mitch3315 said:
miereneronaile said:
mitch3315 said:
Vanisher said:

I've completed over 800 and I gave SAO a 10, problem?

Did you really or did you change that just to say it? I actually like SAO myself, so I have no problems with you doing so im just honestly curious. I mean, if I was rating the books not the anime id give it at least a 9 myself, maybe a 10.

I rate based on enjoyment. SAO was stupid as hell, but you know what? I enjoyed every second of it, and so I rated it accordingly.

Also, your list is awesome, and seeing chihaya singing like that totally randomly forced me to change my current song in my playlist. Totally unimportant but anyway.

Chihaya is always important.

Well how about that, someone else who just rates according to enjoyment. Its nice to know im not the only one(not that I ever thought I was really)

And yes, I can see why Chihaya would always be important. I stand corrected.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 11, 2013 12:37 AM
Apr 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Lol, I swear you people care more about SAO than SAO fans ever will. Jesus fucking Christ.

People can like SAO all they want but when you look at it from a non-bias perspective, you can tell it was poorly done. Personally, I thought it looked promising, but it got worse and worse every episode with Gary and Mary Sue, bad pacing, and weak plot. People would realize it if they weren't lying to themselves saying it was 10/10 because of "omg gaming anime must be good xD".
RVAE86Oct 11, 2013 12:40 AM
Oct 11, 2013 12:39 AM

Aug 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
mitch3315 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I wouldn't, sure moe has been fairly damn popular in recent times, but shit like Gurren Lagann and FMA: B are equally as popular.
Oct 11, 2013 12:40 AM

Aug 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
TheProxy said:
AnimePro said:
TheProxy said:
How is 124 anime a low amount holy shit

124 is not all that bad compared to people who have over +600, but 124 is still a good bit.

Where is the line for "a lot"? Couldn't it just be arbitrarily drawn to accommodate whoever watched the most?

lol idk, 50 seems good enough to me (conveniently has slightly over 50 in his list)

"Good enough" on what level? Good enough, as in, to enjoy yourself? Sure. I wouldn't disagree, even 1 is enough if it's enjoyable to the viewer.

"Good enough" to make sweeping generalizations about the industry and medium as a whole? No. Which is what we're discussing.

DrGeroCreation said:
In other words you believe it is okay for elitists to generalize but not plebs.

I actually said the opposite of that. For future reference, please don't bother trying to reply in any way that involves "in other words" to my posts. Two reasons: 1. I'm a writer, there aren't any words better than my own to say what I want to convey. 2. Shown clearly just now, when you say "in other words" as a way of summarizing a post that is not yours, you are very openly saying "I am going to change what you said to mean what helps my argument, instead of replying to what you actually said".

It's essentially just another fallacy. I even said right at the start that NOBODY should be doing that, yet "in other words" according to you, I very blatantly said the master race elites should be allowed to do whatever they like, including generalize!

If you won't reply to what I actually type, don't fucking reply at all.
Definition of in other words - said in a different, clearer way, otherwise stated. Aren't these your words?
TallonKarrde23 said:
I don't think anybody believes someone should make sweeping statements, it's just that if you have more experience in the medium you are more qualified to make generalizations when it's necessary to a discussion.
It seems you don't know the definition of in other words. In other words - said in a different, clearer way. Example Does she have the right work experience and skills - in other words, can she do the job?
Oct 11, 2013 12:42 AM

Apr 2013
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Lol, I swear you people care more about SAO than SAO fans ever will. Jesus fucking Christ.

People can like SAO all they want but when you look at it from a non-bias perspective, you can tell it was poorly done. Personally, I thought it looked promising, but it got worse and worse every episode with Gary and Mary Stu, bad pacing, and weak plot. People would realize it if they weren't lying to themselves saying it was 10/10 because of "omg gaming anime must be good xD".

Why do people keep repeating the same shit over and over and over again, what you said has literally been said more times than I care to count, why do you feel the need to say it like it is something new and different is beyond me. Talk about beating a dead horse.
Oct 11, 2013 12:43 AM
May 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

People can like SAO all they want but when you look at it from a non-bias perspective, you can tell it was poorly done. Personally, I thought it looked promising, but it got worse and worse every episode with Gary and Mary Stu, bad pacing, and weak plot. People would realize it if they weren't lying to themselves saying it was 10/10 because of "omg gaming anime must be good xD".

Why do people keep repeating the same shit over and over and over again, what you said has literally been said more times than I care to count, why do you feel the need to say it like it is something new and different is beyond me. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Beating a horse is enjoyable to certain demographics. You should try it.
Oct 11, 2013 12:43 AM
May 2010
@DrGeroCreation

Thats fine, as long as the 'other words' accurately represent what was said. To often, they dont. Which is why its really not good form to do what you are doing there, though I admit I do it to.

AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

People can like SAO all they want but when you look at it from a non-bias perspective, you can tell it was poorly done. Personally, I thought it looked promising, but it got worse and worse every episode with Gary and Mary Sue, bad pacing, and weak plot. People would realize it if they weren't lying to themselves saying it was 10/10 because of "omg gaming anime must be good xD".

SAO was fun to watch, tbh. I could care less if there is some ridiculous stuff in there as long as I had fun watching it, which I did. To be fair though, my opinion is biased because I read the novels long before it came out and loved those so my view of the anime is not even remotely fair.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 11, 2013 12:44 AM
Apr 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Because it's true? I'm not gonna tell you not to like it, I'm just stating the facts. Take off your homer glasses and maybe you won't get tired of seeing it all the time,
Oct 11, 2013 12:46 AM

Sep 2013
I still don't see how amount of anime watched matters, and that logic seems like a dangerous outlet to excluding people based on something arbitrary like anime watched.

First of all, generalisations are bad. Why even make them.

Counterexample 1: Someone with an IQ of like 10 watches 500 anime. All of a sudden they are more qualified to make generalizations? Doesn't the knowledge and insight of the individual matter?

Counterexample 2: I literally copy and paste the opinion of someone who has watched 500 anime. Yet, there opinion is somehow more valid because of anime watched?

Counterexample 3: In most forums, you have no idea how much of something someone has watched. And yet, if there are 2 generalizations, you can find 1 you agree with more? Why is that? Probably because it works on a case-by-case basis. you can't prove that the one you agree with has watched more of something.

It makes more sense to actually consider the logic of the generalization and the evidence provided. The content of the post over some bs ethos of the poster. A regular man can have more inspiring words than a philosopher. Analyze logic, not credentials.

Anything to do with amount of anime watched is stupid. If my opinions are in anyway perceived as less valid because of my list, I should delete my account and make another without it.

After all, you can't prove how many anime I've watched in that scenario. What would you think of my generalizations then? I could easily provide examples for every argument I make.
"you think you're bad, don't cha?"
Evangelion is "a commentary on human nature and Japanese culture, particularly otaku and hikikomori, couched in a metaphysical allegory within a Science Fiction background."
Oct 11, 2013 12:47 AM

Jun 2007
DrGeroCreation said:
Definition of in other words - said in a different, clearer way, otherwise stated

Correct. "In other words" means you reiterate, using different words, what someone stated without changing the meaning one single iota.

However, you changed what I said drastically to mean something entirely different. You were using "in other words" as a way to change what I actually said into something I didn't so that you could have a point to argue against - as you couldn't handle any of the ones I actually made.
May 2010
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Because it's true? I'm not gonna tell you not to like it, I'm just stating the facts. Take off your homer glasses and maybe you won't get tired of seeing it all the time,

But its not true. For reasons why, check elite-samas posts in the objectivity thread. Its true for you, and your subjective opinions.

I however, found SAOS pacing and characters just fine.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 2012
miereneronaile said:
@DrGeroCreation

Thats fine, as long as the 'other words' accurately represent what was said. To often, they dont. Which is why its really not good form to do what you are doing there, though I admit I do it to.

AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

SAO was fun to watch, tbh. I could care less if there is some ridiculous stuff in there as long as I had fun watching it, which I did. To be fair though, my opinion is biased because I read the novels long before it came out and loved those so my view of the anime is not even remotely fair.

I get what you're saying. If the adaptation was as good as the novel, I could see it being as good as it should have been. But that's not that case since it flopped.
Oct 11, 2013 12:48 AM
May 2010
TheProxy said:
I still don't see how amount of anime watched matters, and that logic seems like a dangerous outlet to excluding people based on something arbitrary like anime watched.

ar·bi·trar·y
/ˈärbiˌtrerē/
Adjective
Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

Yea, I am not convinced.

@AnimePro Im not going to try and argue that the SAO anime was great because I know I am biased to much from loving the novels, and I am drinking atm lol.

I just think that it is totally subjective /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 11, 2013 12:49 AM

Aug 2011
AnimePro said:
miereneronaile said:
@DrGeroCreation

AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

I get what you're saying. If the adaptation was as good as the novel, I could see it being as good as it should have been. But that's not that case since it flopped.

SAO flopped? No, just no.
Oct 11, 2013 12:50 AM
Apr 2012
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:
miereneronaile said:
@DrGeroCreation

AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

The adaptation, yes.
Oct 11, 2013 12:50 AM

Apr 2013
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Whether it's true or not is highly irrelevant.. you don't repeat stuff because it's true or a fact..
Oct 11, 2013 12:51 AM

Aug 2011
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

No, it didn't. You can't call something that sold as much as SAO did a flop.
Oct 11, 2013 12:51 AM

Jun 2007
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:

The adaptation, yes.

SAO's anime has sold an extremely high amount, enough to propel A-1 into being a big player in the industry even. It was far from a flop, it did VERY well.
Oct 11, 2013 12:52 AM

Sep 2013
miereneronaile said:
TheProxy said:

ar·bi·trar·y
/ˈärbiˌtrerē/
Adjective
Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

Yea, I am not convinced.

lol funny, because most people arguing pro-spend-your-whole-life-watching-anime-to-have-a-valid-opinion are the ones with a large list. Sounds like a personal whim to me?

Oh, and the ones who make valid generalizations are the ones who have watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, the pinnacle of all anime that influenced most of what comes out today. Arbitrary?

THERE IS NOTHING THAT MAKES WHAT SOMEONE SAYS MORE VALID THAN OTHERS BESIDES LOGIC. EVERYTHING ELSE IS ARBITRARY.
Evangelion is "a commentary on human nature and Japanese culture, particularly otaku and hikikomori, couched in a metaphysical allegory within a Science Fiction background."
Oct 11, 2013 12:52 AM

Jun 2007
TheProxy said:
most people arguing pro-spend-your-whole-life-watching-anime-to-have-a-valid-opinion

Nobody is arguing that in this thread at all, that's not even what this discussion is about.

I'm ignoring the rather stupid part of your post in all caps - as a researcher for NASA has a more valid opinion about the trajectory of a rocket than a high school freshman who just took an astronomy course over summer. Regardless if the kid ends up correct, he is factually less qualified on the matter he's discussing.
Oct 11, 2013 12:53 AM

Sep 2013
Oh, what. Then someone explain because I've asked multiple times lol.

What I got is people saying their generalizations are more valid because they've watched more...
Oct 11, 2013 12:54 AM
Apr 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
AnimePro said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Vanisher said:

Whether it's true or not is highly irrelevant.. you don't repeat stuff because it's true or a fact..

It's only being repeated because some people are too stubborn, in denial, and aren't open minded enough to listen to reason.
RVAE86Oct 11, 2013 12:57 AM
Oct 11, 2013 12:54 AM

Aug 2011
TheProxy said:

What I got is people saying their generalizations are more valid because they've watched more...

The point of the thread is whether or not people who have watched more have more experience with the medium.
Oct 11, 2013 12:56 AM

Sep 2013
mitch3315 said:
TheProxy said:

The point of the thread is whether or not people who have watched more have more experience with the medium.

Wait, are you sure? That's common sense not even debatable...Watch more=more experience. I don't think anybody was arguing that, at least from what I read.

What I disagree with is that watching anime makes ANYTHING you say more valid. It doesn't. The logic does. If someone who watches one anime makes a stupid generalization, it should be evident based on their logic. But, it could very well be accurate.
Oct 11, 2013 12:56 AM

Oct 2012
TheProxy said:
Saying that generalizations are more valid is not saying that you must spend your whole life watching anime to have a valid opinion.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 11, 2013 12:58 AM

Sep 2013
elite-sama said:
TheProxy said:
Saying that generalizations are more valid is not saying that you must spend your whole life watching anime to have a valid opinion.

That was hyperbole, I concede.

But the rest of my argument still stands.
Oct 11, 2013 1:04 AM
Apr 2012
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

The series was a flop. Even though it was a profitable success, there's no denying people wasted a ton of money on merchandise from a garbage show.
Oct 11, 2013 1:04 AM

Sep 2013
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

The series was a flop. Even though it was a profitable success, there's no denying people wasted a ton of money on merchandise from a garbage show.

Dude give up you are fighting a losing battle with this trollbait argument lol
Oct 11, 2013 1:05 AM
May 2010
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

I loved it.

Consider your point denied.
Worships Asparagus.
Oct 11, 2013 1:06 AM

Jun 2007
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

>I didn't like it so it was a flop

gr8 b8 m8
Oct 11, 2013 1:09 AM

Dec 2012
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

They wasted money on a show they love because YOU think it's garbage?. Holy shit, This reached a whole new level of stupidity. I would like to point out that you have Mirai Nikki in your favorites, a show that is also often called ''garbage'', ''bad'', ''edgy shit for teens'' like SAO.
Oct 11, 2013 1:14 AM

Oct 2012
TheProxy said:
But the rest of my argument still stands.
While it is logic that makes an argument valid, generalizations in anime are typically empirical propositions, such that it is only possible to prove them through empirical observations. The idea, then, is that the odds of a person being more knowledgeable in any empirical subject is generally correlated with his experience in the activity. This should not be taken to mean that any one person who is more experienced than a person less experienced becomes automatically correct when he makes any assertion towards that person -- while that would be absurd, it would also be odd to claim that the typical doctor isn't more knowledgeable about medicine than the typical undergrad student.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 11, 2013 1:15 AM

Aug 2011
AnimePro said:

The series was a flop. Even though it was a profitable success

It was either one, or the other. It can't be both, and you and I both know which one it is.

As for your other obvious troll crap, it's hardly a waste if the people who bought it enjoyed it.
Oct 11, 2013 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

They wasted money on a show they love because YOU think it's garbage?. Holy shit, This reached a whole new level of stupidity. I would like to point out that you have Mirai Nikki in your favorites, a show that is also often called ''garbage'', ''bad'', ''edgy shit for teens'' like SAO.

Was only a matter of time before someone called out the so called "AnimePro" on that one.
Oct 11, 2013 1:17 AM

Sep 2012
Guys. He's obviously a pro. Don't question his infinite anime wisdom.
Oct 11, 2013 1:19 AM

Feb 2010
You know, it would be fucking easier to tell the guy that he's using the term flop incorrectly (in respect to the way people use it at least)
Oct 11, 2013 1:22 AM
Apr 2012
Nice try kids. If you think I'm wrong for saying it flopped because "I didn't like it", then you guys are equally as wrong as I am for saying it was good "because you liked it". Why can it ever be we're both wrong? Also, if you guys think I'm baiting, why respond? Get baited.
Oct 11, 2013 1:23 AM

Jun 2007
AnimePro said:
Nice try kids. If you think I'm wrong for saying it flopped because "I didn't like it", then you guys are equally as wrong as I am for saying it was good "because you liked it". Why can it ever be we're both wrong? Also, if you guys think I'm baiting, why respond? Get baited.

It didn't flop because there's statistical, objective, factual proof and data showing otherwise. 2/10 wouldn't fish this pond again.
Oct 11, 2013 1:23 AM

Oct 2012
AnimePro said:
I haven't been following the argument, but... so you admit you're wrong?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 11, 2013 1:24 AM

Aug 2011
Vanisher said:
You know, it would be fucking easier to tell the guy that he's using the term flop incorrectly (in respect to the way people use it at least)

We did tell him that though.
Oct 11, 2013 1:24 AM

Sep 2013
AnimePro said:

The problem is you used the wrong terminology. What you were trying to say was Sword Art Online was a piece of shit, but instead you used the term "flopped" and argued yourself into a corner. Typically flop means unsuccessful, and trying to argue the term "flop" in terms of quality is an uphill battle. Good luck with that.
Oct 11, 2013 1:25 AM
Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

Says the guy who has Naruto as on of his favorite animes, which is the notorious cancer that gave society a reason looking down on people who actually enjoy anime.
Oct 11, 2013 1:28 AM

Sep 2012
AnimePro said:
tsudecimo said:
AnimePro said:
mitch3315 said:
AnimePro said:

The adaptation, yes.

Says the guy who has Naruto as on of his favorite animes, which is the notorious cancer that gave society a reason looking down on people who actually enjoy anime.
He's not the one claiming that a show is a "flop" just because he didn't like it.
Oct 11, 2013 1:29 AM
Apr 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
AnimePro said:

It didn't flop because there's statistical, objective, factual proof and data showing otherwise. 2/10 wouldn't fish this pond again.

What proof besides the profits they made? You have not provided anything else besides that.
Oct 11, 2013 1:30 AM
Jul 2013
Why is everybody here attacking each other's favourite anime? I think you've lost sight of the point of the thread...
Oct 11, 2013 1:30 AM

Sep 2013
AnimePro, just admit you didn't mean to use the term flop and go on with it...

Still waiting for you to convince me Kirito is not a Gary Stu, RedKeys. Punk you can't run away admit I'm correct dammit.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 10 minutes ago

1 by traed »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

85 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

60 by Ricchan__ »»
15 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 2 hours ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.