Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Silver Spoon
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 8, 2013 3:32 PM

Sep 2013
So as someone who grew up in a rural area, I've been to my fair share of farms and have gained a fair share of knowledge on farming. I feel I might have had a different perspective, or experience watching Gin no Saji than other's might.

I found alot of part's where Hachiken discovered certain things about farms amusing. Like how he didn't realise what part of the chicken eggs came from. But later I thought other people may not of known that before watching.

So, did people without a farming background find the show really informative on how farms work? Was that maybe part of your interest in it?

And how about people with farming backgrounds? Do you think your enjoyment and perspective of the show was different than someone without that knowledge?

Personally the fact that it was about farming was my initial draw. And it's the first anime I've been able to get my gf to watch (she works on a dairy farm) so that's a plus.

I also found how the show addressed the, for lack of a better term, "morality" of meat production very well done, but that's a different story...
Oct 8, 2013 3:37 PM

Jun 2007
lionelllama said:
So as someone who grew up in a rural area, I've been to my fair share of farms and have gained a fair share of knowledge on farming. I feel I might have had a different perspective, or experience watching Gin no Saji than other's might.

I found alot of part's where Hachiken discovered certain things about farms amusing. Like how he didn't realise what part of the chicken eggs came from. But later I thought other people may not of known that before watching.

So, did people without a farming background find the show really informative on how farms work? Was that maybe part of your interest in it?

And how about people with farming backgrounds? Do you think your enjoyment and perspective of the show was different than someone without that knowledge?

Personally the fact that it was about farming was my initial draw. And it's the first anime I've been able to get my gf to watch (she works on a dairy farm) so that's a plus.

I also found how the show addressed the, for lack of a better term, "morality" of meat production very well done, but that's a different story...

The problem with Hachi's stupidity (such as the egg example you gave) is that he is REALLY fucking stupid. I mean I've lived in Los Angeles my whole life but I can't imagine a single person not knowing where eggs come from. Actually, almost nothing in this show was informative to anyone that isn't likely a literal mentally retarded person. This is all common knowledge stuff they dealt with, farming background or not.

Actually, that's one of the things I disliked about the show. Why are kids in an agricultural high school learning things they should have known as small children? Things even city kids know as pre-teens?

I enjoyed the show enough though, but to answer your question I really don't think this was "informative" on how farms/ranches work for anyone. Not just in terms of where eggs come from, but all the processes and stuff we see in the show as well. Most of it's kind of just common knowledge you pick up randomly in life.
Oct 14, 2013 12:00 PM
May 2012
Well I enjoyed Gin no Saji because I also grew up in an Agricultural place a rural area and this show made me realize how much I missed those days when I was still living there because right now I'm in another country and I am currently living here.

This Anime is really good and fun to watch and Hachiken had a good character development and the other characters were likable too and the atmosphere is just relaxing and I love Slice of Life anime so that's a plus :D
Oct 15, 2013 2:41 PM

Sep 2013
Yea it was good and fun. Nice casual watch I think. Sometimes I think I would've of really liked to have gone to a school like that lol

That part where he forgot to hook up the pipe to the tank and wasted all that milk reminded exactly of this time at my girlfriends farm. Someone accidentally milked a cow on anti-biotics into the holding tank, instead of milking it down the drain. They had to throw out the whole tank of milk :S It's heartbreaking but accidents happen.

Also I never knew that some people use that anti-septic on their boots. We never do it over here. But then again we don't use rotary parlours either!
Oct 29, 2013 6:33 AM
May 2009
Anti-Septics is used to prevent Foot and Mouth Disease from reaching live stock. There was a case in the UK which lead to Hundreds of Thousands of Livestock being terminated and incinerated.

But yeah Love gin no saji and Moyashimon, gives a whole different perspective into the primary industry.
Nov 30, 2013 6:25 PM
Jul 2010
I was kinda hoping they would troll him like we did to our first years when killing chickens. "Accedently" dropping one after chopping it's head off and letting it run around until it stops.
Dec 1, 2013 3:00 PM

Jan 2008
That's actually pretty sick. First time I was "trolled" like that I was like 12 years old. And after I saw a headless chicken running around I couldn't fuckin sleep for a week. Seriously, don't do that. Ever.
Dec 14, 2013 4:49 AM

May 2012
I know nothing about farming, even though i grew up in a farm community. It just never interested me. I still enjoy the hell out of the show though, as the main character is a lot like myself, being a "fish out of water" at the farming school and being shocked at the food we drink and eat's origins. A lot of "gross" but necessary stuff goes on at a farm and it's cool they dont shy away from that stuff. The show is also really funny (very FMA-like, for obvious reasons) and has taught me a thing a two about the subject.

I think it's perfect for people who like school animes but are annoyed with how formulaic they are. Sliver Spoon at least tries something different, but still keeps it within the realm of a classic "high school anime".
who_dat_ninjaDec 15, 2013 4:20 AM
Jan 2, 2014 1:14 PM

Dec 2013
I've lived in the city my entire life. The closest ive come to farm life is visiting a plantation on a family reunion but besides that ive never really been to a farm. I've visited suburbs and small towns where there are farms but thats about it.

I did learn a few things from the series about farms. Honestly, i never considered that eggs come out of a chickens bum so that caught my attention. Not saying that i didnt know that is where eggs come from but i never took time to consider it. I guess that in all the series open my eyes to how farm life can be considering how the farms basically cant get attached to the animals and how there are different ways to farm animals. Growing up in the city i never really thought about things outside of it. Im guessing many city people like me dont consider how our food gets to us or the fact that it was once a living animal so we overlook obvious things like that.

At first, the series didnt really interest me but as i kept on watching i started to like it more. I guess never really thinking about the life of a farmer and seeing what they went through made the show all the better since it was new to me.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
Jun 28, 2016 7:30 PM

Dec 2009
I've read three chapters so far a while back this year and I haven't resumed it since.
It's a little too slow for now, a lot of dialogue in explaining agriculture that I don't really care about and a lot of pages to read "like a chore". At least for now.

So I'm hoping, as great as FMA was (I'm not trying to be biased but) FMA was amazing so I respect and expect the author made something great with this story because IMO FMA is one of the many classic masterpieces.
So I doubt any of her stories (unless maybe her early work) don't have a hint of the many things that she put into FMA that made it so great.

I'll watch the anime one day to have a better idea because animes are always easier for me to get into it's original manga because it's faster paced as it's animation.

But who knows, it might not be to my taste. Although I'll probably keep hating agriculture I'm expecting the characters and story will make the story great.
Jul 29, 2016 1:10 PM

Sep 2010
CPOK80 said:
I was kinda hoping they would troll him like we did to our first years when killing chickens. "Accedently" dropping one after chopping it's head off and letting it run around until it stops.
Thats a sick thing to get enjoyment from and respectless to the chicken you just killed. You need to treat life with respect. If you kill something, show some respect towards it as they died to feed you. I can't stand cruel people like you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2013

137 by DebiPS »»
Jan 18, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2013

171 by DebiPS »»
Jan 10, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2013

113 by DebiPS »»
Jan 9, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

153 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 18, 2023 1:33 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

92 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 17, 2023 5:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.