Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 6, 2013 1:38 AM

Sep 2013
I'm a huge fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I liked the original, loved the End of Evangelion.
I thought 1.0 was very good and 2.0 was fucking brilliant.
I've read alot about how 3.0 is very inferior compared to the others. Let me know your opinions on the subject. Is 3.0 really that bad or is it still a good watch that wouldn't ruin the amazing feeling 2.0 left me with?

P.S. No spoilers please
DeusAnimaOct 6, 2013 1:41 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2013 4:55 AM

Jun 2013
The reason why people dislike 3.0 is because it's confusing, characters do "non-logical/stupid" decisions and it doesn't give answers. (Though, I'm 100% sure that we get answers in 4.0) Many people usually miss the whole point of this masterpiece.

Main points of this film are:
-Life doesn't always goes the way you like. Even if your intentions were good, but end results weren't what you wanted/were bad, you still have to deal with it, and only option is to learn (From your mistakes) and move on.
-Accepting consequences.
-Taking responsibility.
-"Shounen attitude" does not work.
-Learning how the world/people work(s).
-Expanding your world view.
-To understand other people, being less self-centered, taking other people's opinions and thoughts into account.

I think that nobody can "like" this film. The feel you get while watching this film is almost like watching EoE for the first time.

So, IMO the overall message of rebuilt is obviously growing up (Though, it's done using extreme ways :P) and the stuff i mentioned earlier.
EVAMAAKU14Oct 14, 2013 12:34 PM
Oct 7, 2013 7:38 AM
Jun 2009
watch it once to satisfy your curiosity, but don't expect to enjoy it. then re-watch 1 and 2. 3 is falling into the gravity well of the original evangelion's bullshit singularity.
Oct 13, 2013 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
I watched it today and I found it amazing. It was incredibly confusing, but it was a great experience. It's definitely worth watching.
Oct 13, 2013 10:53 AM

Sep 2013
I recently watched it and don't understand the low scores. Maybe it was because I had low expectations when watching it, but it got a 10/10 from me, being the best Evangelion movie yet. Now I'm just sad I have to freeze myself in cryo-sleep to not go crazy waiting for 4.0 lol.

I was especially surprised at how satisfying the ending was even though there is still one more movie to come. I was certain it was going to end badly. :)

Well, looking at some comments about it, it seems like people weren't happy about it leaving so many unanswered questions. But that's why there is one more movie to come. This one was like a bridge from 2.0's pretty "big" ending to the last ending of the series.

EDIT: Actually EVAMAAKU summed my thoughts on this whole series xd
cupcOct 13, 2013 10:59 AM
Oct 14, 2013 10:06 PM
Oct 2012
It is a good movie.
The reason some don't like it is because it didn't answer any questions; it just left you with more.

At the end of Evangelion 2.22, there was a preview to a sequel, well.. Don't expect any of that stuff. None of that is in the movie. That may be another reason why it's underrated.

This is just the third quarter of the Rebuild of Evangelion. I'm sure the final one will wrap everything up. If you're a big EVA fan and are planning to follow this tetralogy, you'll need to watch this one anyway, whether you like it or not.
Oct 15, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2013
I gave it a 6/10 for now. Too confusing to be enjoying in my opinion.
I do acknowledge that the movie was probably setting up for the fourth film.
Once the fourth film is out, depending on how well the questions were answered and everything was tied together, I'll probably re watch the third film and re rate it as well.
Oct 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Mar 2013
no it wasnt bad it just became the real evangelion. mindfucks and all.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Oct 25, 2013 6:43 PM

Mar 2013
People consider it bad because it is not as well executed as the first two movies (now there are those that think it was done as is for a concrete purpose other than usual NGE bullshit, after 4.0 we will be able to reevaluate that thought for truth), but with that said it still is a good movie.

It is kind of trapped in the a bad sibling role to its "older brothers" because even though 3.0 is a successful businessman, 1.0 is a brain surgeon and 2.0 is a nobel laureate. When compared to the other two films, it is a letdown even though it is still a good film.
Oct 26, 2013 6:19 AM

Jan 2013
I think this movie had to be like this because 4.0 it's going to be epic. Anyway, I really liked this movie, it isn't that bad just because it doesnt explain anything
Oct 29, 2013 12:07 PM

Sep 2009
For me, it wasn't that it was confusing or anything...it was the characters. Some of the characters' behavior really, really annoyed me. I know some people say it's because of the situation they are in or whatever, but for me, it's soo bad it's beyond comprehension. I really can't blame Shinji for some of the stuff he does in this movie with how unreasonable some of the others were.

I still think the movie is worth watching though (I mean, you already watched the first 2)....and it's not like I gave this a horrible score. The atmosphere is really well done in this movie.
Oct 30, 2013 10:51 AM

Jul 2010
My biggest problem with the film was that it spends too much time on action and spectacle rather than establishing it's characters and setting. Literally the first 30 minutes were nothing but spectacle. That ship taking off sequence followed by the angel attack went on for what felt like 20 minutes. Having a battle is fine, but in the first half-hour it gives us no reason for us to care about what's happening. We don't know who most of these people are, we don't know what they're fighting for. We know Misato, but she's a completely different character now who we don't even know, so we can't connect with her anymore. We know Asuka, but we don't know what her struggle is or what has happened to her since the incident with Unit-03. We know Mari, but she has even less of a presence than in the last film, so much so that you can take her completely out of it and nothing would change. It could've been a great opportunity to finally get to know her character, but we still know nothing about her. In the other films and the show we knew about these characters and what they were going through, what exactly was at stake, and what they had to lose. Here, there's no tension whatsoever because we barely know them or what they're going through, because the movie spends way more time showing off its action scenes then it does actually establishing its characters, giving it's battle scenes no weight. And after that, you never see any of these characters again until that last 20-minute battle at the very end, so we still don't know anything about them.

If you're gonna change the story this drastically, you better do a good job at easing your audience in, but this just throws us into it without warning. Maybe the point is to make us feel as alienated as Shinji, but the show and the other films gave us all the character's perspectives, not just Shinji.

Also, the movie feels way too short, with again, 2/3 of the movie being spectacle. Hell, it really feel like half a movie, honestly. It almost feels unfair to criticise this movie because I feel like I have to wait for the second half of the film to come out. Hell, perhaps this film will make complete sense when put together with the final film. Maybe that's the intent.

It's also pretty obvious that this went through some serious rewrites. I mean, the preview scenes from the end of the second film are nowhere in the movie. I'd love to see the behind-the-scenes features on this just to see what the hell happened, and it would probably be more interesting than the movie.

There are a few things I did like, though. I thought Shinji's and Kaworu's relationship was done very well, and is the only thing the movie actually fleshes out, and luckily it's one of the more important factors. Also, I thinl this is the first time in the entire series where you see Shinji and Kohzou interact with each other, and I like him telling everything about his mother to Shinji. I like seeing the rebuild movies finally getting to the depressing/mindfuck aspect that the series is best known for, and the film is certainly the bleakest of the Rebuild movies. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic, but other than that it's a deeply flawed and highly disappointing mess of a movie. I mean, I'd still buy it when it come to the US, just to complete the series, but I don't think I'd be watching it as frequently as the others. As it stands, it's The Dark Knight Rises of the series.

Man, the final film has better be a goddamn masterpiece, otherwise in 20 more years they'd have to make a Re-rebuild series. Or perhaps a fifth movie to give the fans a final fuck you. Evangelion 5.0: You Can (Not) End. That would be fun.
Nov 11, 2013 11:55 PM
Jun 2012
The simple reason people hate it is because it is a "Filler" movie. The movie is 95% filler like 5% content.

Not only that the way they handled it was just bad. I can understand their intent for not wanting to tell the audience more and have tonnes of questions, but overall it feels like it doesn't fit evangelions universe at all. The whole movie feels like a spinoff evangelion happening in a parallel universe.

It's just average to mediocre. There was just enormous amounts of dead time/boring stuff because of character changes that were seriously jarring.
Nov 18, 2013 6:47 PM

Jun 2011
EVAMAAKU14 said:
The reason why people dislike 3.0 is because it's confusing, characters do "non-logical/stupid" decisions and it doesn't give answers. (Though, I'm 100% sure that we get answers in 4.0) Many people usually miss the whole point of this masterpiece.

Main points of this film are:
-Life doesn't always goes the way you like. Even if your intentions were good, but end results weren't what you wanted/were bad, you still have to deal with it, and only option is to learn (From your mistakes) and move on.
-Accepting consequences.
-Taking responsibility.
-"Shounen attitude" does not work.
-Learning how the world/people work(s).
-Expanding your world view.
-To understand other people, being less self-centered, taking other people's opinions and thoughts into account.

I think that nobody can "like" this film. The feel you get while watching this film is almost like watching EoE for the first time.

So, IMO the overall message of rebuilt is obviously growing up (Though, it's done using extreme ways :P) and the stuff i mentioned earlier.

I don't agree.

The feeling I got while watching this was NOTHING like the feeling I got while watching EoE. When I watched EoE for the first time, I felt awed; it was like a well oiled machine in that even the pieces you couldn't see on the surface played a huge role, and the whole apparatus worked perfectly. THAT was EoE.

The feeling I got while watching this, on the other hand, was one of utter disbelief. Here's an analogy: if EoE was like a well oiled machine, 3.0 was a machine with the insides torn out. It didn't even function on the surface, let alone tease other things behind the scenes.

I don't hate 3.0 because I don't understand it. I hate it because it just doesn't work; it's a mess of a movie whose only merit is its visuals (which aren't even that good when compared to its predecessor, 2.0).

So to answer the question: yes, it is that bad.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Nov 18, 2013 7:24 PM
Oct 2010
It's not bad but it's not exactly the great either.
Nov 18, 2013 7:26 PM

Aug 2013
My view is that it heavily relies on 4.0 to answer the billion questions it brings up.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Nov 18, 2013 11:43 PM

Jun 2013
Reaper71 said:

I don't agree.

The feeling I got while watching this was NOTHING like the feeling I got while watching EoE. When I watched EoE for the first time, I felt awed; it was like a well oiled machine in that even the pieces you couldn't see on the surface played a huge role, and the whole apparatus worked perfectly. THAT was EoE.

The feeling I got while watching this, on the other hand, was one of utter disbelief. Here's an analogy: if EoE was like a well oiled machine, 3.0 was a machine with the insides torn out. It didn't even function on the surface, let alone tease other things behind the scenes.

I don't hate 3.0 because I don't understand it. I hate it because it just doesn't work; it's a mess of a movie whose only merit is its visuals (which aren't even that good when compared to its predecessor, 2.0).

The reason why 3.0 doesn't work is because 4.0 isn't out yet. The film simply doesn't work as a stand-alone. EoE works because it was the conclusion.
EVAMAAKU14Nov 19, 2013 9:02 AM
Nov 19, 2013 9:00 AM
Oct 2013
I watched all three movies (1, 2, 3) in the movie theater this May at a local 'con. I loved the first two. The third, I couldn't believe I was watching the same series, or a continuation of the same story from 1 and 2. It felt like an entirely different, extremely confusing, and honestly much more "cliche" series.

The parts that I hated the most were the sexual tension scenes between Kaoru and Shinji. It really felt like extremely forced fodder for slashfics. I mean seriously, you're going to spend 10 minutes showing us how they're playing duets on a fucking piano in the ruins of NERV headquarters? Why? Why would you do this? The inclusion of Mari Makinami also pissed me off, mainly because she is an entirely unnecessary character, that has NOTHING going for her in terms of personality. She's got a stupid catchphrase/vocal tic, and she wears glasses. That's all I know about her at this point, and she's been in TWO of the Rebuild movies. And I honestly don't want to know any more about her. The time spent on her could have been better spent on developing the characters we actually care about - Misato, Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Gendo.

I just want Evangelion to fucking end. I need closure. Because if this shit keeps up, I'm just going to stop caring about it, and I really don't want to.
MaceRiderNov 19, 2013 9:04 AM
Nov 19, 2013 12:08 PM
Jan 2012
Movie was great! It kept me engaged and kept me guessing. Sure it does throw a lot of questions at you near the end, but I still found myself caring about the characters: Shinji, Misato, Asuka, Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Rei, and Ritsuko. The fact that the movie left their pasts clouded with mystery made me care about them even more, and made me wonder what changed them those past 14 years.

So yeah, I think the third movie is a good watch. Was the execution perfect? Not all the time, but the movie did leave me wanting more and I believe it did its job.
Nov 28, 2013 7:37 PM

Apr 2009
For me personally it was the most impactful eva movie to date, and the very opposite from "cliche". In Eva 3.0 we're placed in the mindset of shinji, the movie is confusing and unstructured just like shinji's mind, and I mean come on this was obviously done intentionally. The tone in this film is powerful and brooding, it's not a movie that's going to make you feel happy. And yes the character do things that seem to us as completely illogical, but guess what, people do that is real life! Just look at the dropping of the atomic bombs during world war II, to us in retrospect it seems completely absurd, but to the US at the time it seemed completely logical thanks to the warped mindset that the war had caused. Also from an art perspective it's absolutely beautiful, the first time where I've seen the mix of CG with 2D animation where it actually works really well. It has a very striking colour scheme, and incredible shot composition. There are some seriously beautiful images in this film. Overall I think eva 3.0 will be one of those films that many people hate initially but through the years but through the years people will start to realize it's genius. Yeah it's not perfect, but it takes big risks, and as a result becomes something truly unique.
Nov 29, 2013 5:42 AM

Sep 2013
3.0 was the first rebuild that actually felt like an Evangelion movie and not like some hollywood action video clip. This is what NGE was good at. Confusing people and using suggestive religious themes. Showing surreal images of earth and the feeling of isolation. Hopelessness. It's all about the feeling of mindfuck, and I love it. That's why I gave it 10/10.
Nov 29, 2013 6:02 AM
Oct 2010
WyattEarp said:
For me personally it was the most impactful eva movie to date, and the very opposite from "cliche". In Eva 3.0 we're placed in the mindset of shinji, the movie is confusing and unstructured just like shinji's mind, and I mean come on this was obviously done intentionally. The tone in this film is powerful and brooding, it's not a movie that's going to make you feel happy. And yes the character do things that seem to us as completely illogical, but guess what, people do that is real life! Just look at the dropping of the atomic bombs during world war II, to us in retrospect it seems completely absurd, but to the US at the time it seemed completely logical thanks to the warped mindset that the war had caused. Also from an art perspective it's absolutely beautiful, the first time where I've seen the mix of CG with 2D animation where it actually works really well. It has a very striking colour scheme, and incredible shot composition. There are some seriously beautiful images in this film. Overall I think eva 3.0 will be one of those films that many people hate initially but through the years but through the years people will start to realize it's genius. Yeah it's not perfect, but it takes big risks, and as a result becomes something truly unique.

Not that I am disagreeing with you, especially about the last part (I think 4.0 will make or break this movie though) but there aren't many people who believe dropping the nuclear bombs was wrong.
Nov 29, 2013 11:51 AM

Jun 2013
cupc said:
3.0 was the first rebuild that actually felt like an Evangelion movie and not like some hollywood action video clip. This is what NGE was good at. Confusing people and using suggestive religious themes. Showing surreal images of earth and the feeling of isolation. Hopelessness. It's all about the feeling of mindfuck, and I love it. That's why I gave it 10/10.

^+10 points.

For me, 3.0 is the greatest film of all time. It even surpasses EoE. (Which used to be the best in my list) ^_^
EVAMAAKU14Nov 29, 2013 11:54 AM
Nov 29, 2013 7:28 PM

Aug 2013
EVAMAAKU14 said:
cupc said:

^+10 points.

For me, 3.0 is the greatest film of all time. It even surpasses EoE. (Which used to be the best in my list) ^_^

Will you still say that if 4.0 doesn't even touch upon the 15 year time gap and explain the dramatic changes in the characters? That's why my rating of it is pending on 4.0.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Nov 30, 2013 12:06 AM

Jun 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
cupc said:

^+10 points.

Will you still say that if 4.0 doesn't even touch upon the 15 year time gap and explain the dramatic changes in the characters? That's why my rating of it is pending on 4.0.

If 4.0 doesn't explain anything, then my opinion on 3.0 will most likely change. :D

They HAVE to explain. (It would be ultimate storytelling failure if Anno doesn't explain) Even 30 minutes of explanation is more than enough.
EVAMAAKU14Nov 30, 2013 5:21 AM
Nov 30, 2013 12:01 PM

Aug 2008
I actually liked 3.0 over 2.0 I suppose I'm in the minority but there it is.
Nov 30, 2013 4:04 PM
Sep 2013
I like it more than 2.22 too.
Rebuild movies lack the aspects that made the original show so unique and different.
I guess people dislike this movie because it's closer to the original EVA than the rest of the movies.

That being said, I really hope Rebuild is the continuation of EoE.
Dec 1, 2013 11:17 AM
Sep 2013
@Super88 That's inherently wrong and is one of the few cases where a viewer's opinion on claiming such is invalid.

Anyhow, no, i don't believe 3.0 is a bad movie. In fact i actually like it more than 2.0, Q is like a puzzle where it actually requires my brain to solve half of the pieces together (along with the remaining half potentially coming from 4.0). It gave me NGE vibes all over again, and i enjoyed it for what it is.

EVAMAAKU14 said:
Reaper71 said:

I don't agree.

The reason why 3.0 doesn't work is because 4.0 isn't out yet. The film simply doesn't work as a stand-alone. EoE works because it was the conclusion.

Agreed. 3.0 is an outstanding prologue to 4.0 whereas EoE was an outstanding conclusion to NGE. Sorry, Reper71. But i'm going to have to very much disagree with what you on such. I do not think it is bad, and the visuals of the first 6 minutes of Q surpass/curb stomp every visually appealing-scene in 2.0.
Narukami07Dec 1, 2013 11:23 AM
Dec 15, 2013 8:27 PM

Feb 2013
I think it got low scores because it was so different. Nobody was expecting anything like this, not even with how different Eva2.0 was (also keeping in mind that Eva1.0 was the first 6 episodes of the series).

In short:
It's not bad, it's different.
Dec 16, 2013 8:45 AM

Jan 2012
I thought it was great
I never expected this show to mindfuck me again since the end of eva but the timeskip did it
Dec 16, 2013 8:51 AM

Jan 2013
1. Wunder action scene is the worst one in the whole Eva series.

2. Kaoru is keep-telling-settings-to-audience-while-completely-ignoring-Shinji-and-others nonsense in this.

I'm holding off till the 4th movie, but bad parts are bad, nonetheless.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 18, 2013 4:39 AM

Jun 2013
Nae_Gevurah said:
I just finished 3.33, and ... I have mixed emotions.

It's not "bad." It's... incomplete

Exactly.
Dec 18, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 2008
I pretty much hated this movie. Every is AMAZINGLY stupid. Biggest shock is that Shinji is NOT the dumbest one in the movie. No, that title goes to the bitch queen Misato and her second in command, Asuka. This whole movie could have been avoided if they just sat Shinji down and told him what the fuck was going on. But NO, we're just gonna be total jerks, tell him nothing, treat him like shit... and then be surprised when he defects. All they told him was basically "Because we say so!" 5 goddamn minutes, just FIVE!
Dec 18, 2013 3:55 PM

Oct 2012
So, keeping in my hypocritical character, I am going against my word and seeing this film on the big screen next month. If only for the reason that I have only ever seen one other anime in a movie theater (Akira).
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Dec 27, 2013 11:03 AM
Jun 2011
I think most of you have forgotten that originally the last 2 films where planned to be released together, kind of like EoE's 2 part release Air and Yours Sincerely. If you remember correctly, seperatly both parts where good, but deeply depended on the other to function as a whole. The only difference between Rebuild and End of Evangelion's release was that one was released together as promised, and the other was seperate. Knowing this, I think it's unfair to judge 3.0 before the release of finale, only then will we get the "full experience". Personaly as I watched 3.0 it felt as though it was cut short. I need to re-watch it to be sure, but I'm starting to think that finale might be exactly what rebuild needs; or it's evident downfall. I dunno about you, but I'm hoping for it's success. But only time will tell.
Jan 6, 2014 9:49 AM
Sep 2013
DmonHiro said:
This whole movie could have been avoided if they just sat Shinji down and told him what the fuck was going on.

I seriously wonder what kind of (terrible) mentality you were using towards this film, nothing about it would be avoided even if they told Shinji. Nothing.

ReiQ would have snatched him regardless.
Jan 6, 2014 9:51 AM
Sep 2013
DawnJ said:
1. Wunder action scene is the worst one in the whole Eva series.

2. Kaoru is keep-telling-settings-to-audience-while-completely-ignoring-Shinji-and-others nonsense in this.

I'm holding off till the 4th movie, but bad parts are bad, nonetheless.

1. It was longer then it should have been but not the worst.

2. You aren't making sense with this point, what?

Can't tell if those bad parts come from incomprehension skills or if they really are bad.
Jan 6, 2014 11:08 PM

Jun 2013
Narukami07 said:

1. It was longer then it should have been but not the worst.

The reason for why the beginning of 3.0 and the whole Wunder thing is long, is because they were re-introducing the cast.

Also, to some people here: 3.0's "plot holes" or "idiotic moments" are there because of poor communication. (Reasons are so logical and understandable)

I'd suggest that you check out my thread (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=640373&show=0#post1) before you post anything that would criticize 3.0.
EVAMAAKU14Jan 6, 2014 11:14 PM
Jan 6, 2014 11:48 PM

Jan 2013
Narukami07 said:
2. You aren't making sense with this point, what?

Look at what Kaoru is doing during the mission. He says 'oops two spears, something is wrong' and goes i-am-so-shocked mode, then mutters to himself for 10 minutes shoving all the oh-so-important-settings and glossaries up audience's ass. That's very Eva, but still very bad writing there.

EVAMAAKU14 said:

The reason for why the beginning of 3.0 and the whole Wunder thing is long, is because they were re-introducing the cast.

It's not about the whole part, but the wunder vs. angel one. They tried hard to make it look decent, but failed miserably.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 7, 2014 3:52 AM

Jun 2013
DawnJ said:

It's not about the whole part, but the wunder vs. angel one. They tried hard to make it look decent, but failed miserably.

The whole thing was executed fantastically and it looked great too.

Well, that's just my opinion.
EVAMAAKU14Jan 7, 2014 7:43 AM
Jan 18, 2014 12:37 AM

Sep 2013
EVAMAAKU14 said:
DawnJ said:

The whole thing was executed fantastically and it looked great too.

Well, that's just my opinion.

Yep, I think the scene with spears and Kaworu muttering to himself and soon after exploding to gibs was the highpoint, and the best moment of rebuilds to date.

Kaworu's face was so well animated you could see he was really worried, and couldn't help but feel like you were Shinji sitting beside him, wondering what the f*ck is going on.
Jan 19, 2014 1:31 PM

May 2011
Just watched it and I enjoyed it greatly. Sure, it was confusing as fuck, but since this is not the last movie, it makes perfect sense to me.
Jan 21, 2014 5:36 PM
Apr 2013
I just wanna know what the fuck is the deal with Mari. Is she like some SEELE operative, or something like that. Honestly if she just turns out to be a unnecessary/baseless character i'll go ape-shit.
Jan 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Nov 2012
I thought it was pretty decent, I saw it in theaters a couple of weeks ago here in the US! If I were to rank the films : 1) 2.0 2) 3.0 3) 1.0 . I'll probably buy them all and rewatch them later, I know I saw 1.0 in normal dvd stores for a not too extravagant price (non-blu-ray). Personally I thought the End of Evangelion is the best film out of all the eva films so far, but just my opinion. Maybe I liked it so much because it was so much better than the original series ending, who knows..
midnightbladeJan 27, 2014 4:27 PM
Jan 27, 2014 4:18 PM
Nov 2008
Yes, it really was that bad. It wasn't like I was even watching the same franchise for about 75% of the film.
Jan 27, 2014 10:31 PM

Sep 2013
Heredity said:
Yes, it really was that bad. It wasn't like I was even watching the same franchise for about 75% of the film.

This isn't the movie for you
Jan 27, 2014 11:14 PM
Oct 2010
Heredity said:

Really? From a franchise POV this movie was way more fitting than 2.0
Jan 28, 2014 6:58 PM

Oct 2008
When a movie spends about 20 minutes showing shitty CGI battleship sequences instead of properly using the time to develop the new setting, you can see that is isn't a good start. Evangelion was about character analysis, and even Anno said that the supposed religious symbolism in the TV series was meaningless, yet this movie throws character development and exposition in the garbage bin and shoves symbolism up your ass, this time trying to have a meaning.
I knew nothing about the characters, they barely had any screentime aside from fighting sequences (there was almost 1 hour total of fights in this movie), they spent the entire time talking garbage about sins and shit like Shinji was the true reincarnation of Adolf Hitler, now multiplied by 100. Misato's new characterization falls flat, Asuka is only an action girl, the new Rei is dumb as bricks, Kaworu had more poignant scenes with 11 minutes in the TV series. Also, where the fuck is Kaji? what the fuck is SEELE? you know what, nothing of this matters because it's meaningless now, this entire movie was a waste of screentime with flashy scenes about almost nothing truly important.

I'll say that the OST was good though, and it really was.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jan 29, 2014 2:07 AM

Sep 2013
bekeru said:
When a movie spends about 20 minutes showing shitty CGI battleship sequences instead of properly using the time to develop the new setting, you can see that is isn't a good start. Evangelion was about character analysis, and even Anno said that the supposed religious symbolism in the TV series was meaningless, yet this movie throws character development and exposition in the garbage bin and shoves symbolism up your ass, this time trying to have a meaning.
I knew nothing about the characters, they barely had any screentime aside from fighting sequences (there was almost 1 hour total of fights in this movie), they spent the entire time talking garbage about sins and shit like Shinji was the true reincarnation of Adolf Hitler, now multiplied by 100. Misato's new characterization falls flat, Asuka is only an action girl, the new Rei is dumb as bricks, Kaworu had more poignant scenes with 11 minutes in the TV series. Also, where the fuck is Kaji? what the fuck is SEELE? you know what, nothing of this matters because it's meaningless now, this entire movie was a waste of screentime with flashy scenes about almost nothing truly important.

I'll say that the OST was good though, and it really was.

It did develop a new setting nicely and did it the Evangelion way, by shoving new questions to your ass. The conversations between characters (Especially Shinji and Kaworu) were surreal, and because of that, very unique. "Only in Evangelion"

The new twist of Misato being angry to Shinji was natural, Shinji did destroy the world 14 years ago. It may have felt like a moment to us, to them it has been over a decade.

Where is Kaji? Wtf is SEELE? It's nice to have some questions left for the LAST movie. This wasn't supposed to give answers to everything.

Most Evangelion fans probably realize that the symbolism mostly has no meaning. If you like to think so, please stop. That's not the point of it, though. It's more about the emotions that the (At times meaningless) symbolism, quiet and long lasting weird, surreal scenes (e.g piano scene), and music awake. They did that for me, better than the last 2 rebuilds did, and because of that it's the best rebuild to date.
cupcJan 29, 2014 2:15 AM
May 31, 2014 6:58 PM

May 2014
Those who left 3.0 thinking it was bad just because it was confusing should read this perspective.

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/02/10/once-more-with-fury-rebuilding-evangelion/

How much of this that is actually true is really left up to interpretation, but damn is this argument well defended. It only strengthens my opinion that Anno is one of the most brilliant minds the industry has ever seen.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dupa - Dec 17, 2012

786 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 8:45 PM

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.