Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone interested in helping me to start a project of picking up Akai Ito translation?

New
Oct 5, 2013 2:21 PM

Jan 2013
I recently started reading VN Aoishiro and I think that it is a very great VN, so I was very disappointed to find out that the translation of Akai Ito VN of the same series as Aoishiro was dropped 3 years ago. However the good news is that some parts of the translation are left in a text format on website of a dead project, so I am planing to take it and copy/paste it into actual scripts. But to that I first need help of a hacker who will take out that scripts and then I need a translator/s and editor/s who are willing to work on untranslated parts. I think it is quite the shame for this project to be left unfinished as it is very unique VN series that has a mix of great plot and pure & cute Shoujo-AI romance. Anyone intrested can contact me by PM or by my profile on Fuwanowel forum http://forums.fuwanovel.org/index.php?/user/1426-okami/

Some details about Akai Ito:

VNDB
http://vndb.org/v98

Age rate: 15+

Genres: Drama, Romance, Supernatural, Shoujo-AI, Light horror,

Plot:

To arrange the inheritance because of the loss of her mother, Kei Hatō heads for her fathers house in Hemizuka. In the train on the way there, Kei has a mysterious dream of a huge tree and a woman who seems to be lost in sadness. In the land of Hemizuka, Kei learns the secret concealed in her own blood through various meeting with an Oni Slayer, a friend of her late mother, a young girl accompanied by a white fox, and even the mysterious girl from her dreams.

Screenshot:

The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 6, 2013 11:00 AM

Sep 2009
Oh, I'd love to see a well done PC port of this VN, using PS2 emulator isn't that comfortable.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can help. I'm busy with KonoSora, and I have no idea how long it will take. But that's a smaller problem. I have checked out Akai Ito a long time ago, and from what I have seen, it's pretty hard. My Japanese knowledge was very very low back then though, so maybe my impression isn't that accurate. But still, I'm pretty sure it involves a lot of mythology and stuff, so this definitely isn't your typical moege with simple vocab and writing. With that said, I don't think I have enough skill to tackle something like this. Not yet at least.

Fuwanovel is probably a good place to look for hackers, there are some capable guys there. I recommend extracting scripts and making sure you have the tools to insert them for starters. When you'll have all of that technical stuff done, go look for capable translators on TLWiki or translator's blogs. Like I said, it's not an easy VN - you will need someone with enough skill and experience to do it right, and while such people might be hiding somewhere on Fuwa, finding them will be problematic. You are bound to get a bunch of completely random volunteers with lots of enthusiasm, but little to no abilities. If you don't know Japanese yourself, you won't be able to tell if they can make a real translation, or just some mistranslated mess that only Aaeru will find acceptable.
This is one of the very few VNs I would actually prefer to read in English (because of the port), so I really don't want to see it butchered... :/
Oct 6, 2013 11:41 PM

Jan 2013
Pabloc said:
Oh, I'd love to see a well done PC port of this VN, using PS2 emulator isn't that comfortable.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can help. I'm busy with KonoSora, and I have no idea how long it will take. But that's a smaller problem. I have checked out Akai Ito a long time ago, and from what I have seen, it's pretty hard. My Japanese knowledge was very very low back then though, so maybe my impression isn't that accurate. But still, I'm pretty sure it involves a lot of mythology and stuff, so this definitely isn't your typical moege with simple vocab and writing. With that said, I don't think I have enough skill to tackle something like this. Not yet at least.

Fuwanovel is probably a good place to look for hackers, there are some capable guys there. I recommend extracting scripts and making sure you have the tools to insert them for starters. When you'll have all of that technical stuff done, go look for capable translators on TLWiki or translator's blogs. Like I said, it's not an easy VN - you will need someone with enough skill and experience to do it right, and while such people might be hiding somewhere on Fuwa, finding them will be problematic. You are bound to get a bunch of completely random volunteers with lots of enthusiasm, but little to no abilities. If you don't know Japanese yourself, you won't be able to tell if they can make a real translation, or just some mistranslated mess that only Aaeru will find acceptable.
This is one of the very few VNs I would actually prefer to read in English (because of the port), so I really don't want to see it butchered... :/

I don't know how much time did you spend on fuwanowel forums but I assure you that there are some very capable translators there, most of them have alot of experience too. As for myself not knowing Japanese and not knowing if they translated text correctly, that is wath proofreaders are for. People with high knowledge of Japanese who check translation for mistakes in translation and correct them. That is the way how most of popular translation groups are doing things, have people with good/disnat Japanese skills to translate and than person with great Japanese skills to check the translation (with editors doing job in between, who edit text in qualitet English).
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Oct 7, 2013 1:32 AM

Aug 2010
no, my jap is too bad xD.

ask wstar
Oct 7, 2013 9:22 AM

Sep 2009
I wasn't saying that there are no capable translators on Fuwa, only that there are many not-so-cabable ones, and finding the right people for this, somewhat difficult job, won't be easy (like I said, this isn't your random moege with the simplest possible language).
that is wath proofreaders are for. People with high knowledge of Japanese who check translation for mistakes in translation and correct them.
I think you have mistaken proofreaders for TLC-ers - they are fixing translation mistakes. Editors, proofreaders, QC-ers, etc. work with already translated scripts, fixing grammar, typos and such. Translation groups normally don't use regular TLC-ers at all. Experienced translators sometimes do help out and check stuff, but the base TL must be good to begin with. Fixing poor TL, made by unskilled, random volunteers is completely counter-productive and the results will always be worse than making a good TL from the start, not to mention that it's a #%&$*^@! chore (well, at least when the TL is as screwed up as that MoeNovel's garbage, aka "If My Heart had Wings"). Also, you may have a hard time convincing a capable translator to help you check the project made this way (especially considering Fuwanovel's bad reputation).

So, in short - you'll need to find a good translator(s) to do TLC anyway, so I suggest hiring them from the start - it will save you a lot of pointless work and drastically improve the speed and quality of the whole project. If you'll find them on Fuwa - good for you.
PablocOct 7, 2013 9:31 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 5 VNs ( 1 2 3 )

AltriaPendragon - Jun 2, 2013

120 by Fischer77 »»
Jan 28, 2023 5:49 PM

» Top 10 Heroines from all the VN's you have read?

Riptos - Jun 23, 2021

1 by UIGodFather »»
Jul 3, 2021 7:19 AM

» What VN are you currently playing? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MayuAsagiri - Dec 17, 2013

434 by removed-user »»
Apr 25, 2021 6:26 AM

» Member Birthday List ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 8, 2011

126 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 PM

» Visual Novel Data Base Account ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 29, 2011

106 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2021 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.