Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we have yet another show about a school club without a purpose, this time with half-length episodes in mediocre CGI!

Okay, so the point of the club seems to be to take activities of legit clubs and put an original spin on them. I can see the potential in this idea, but its realization with baseball was kinda weak.

Also, the conversation scene in the club room reminded me of those seiyuu radio programmes, where they just sit and talk about random topics vaguely related to their current show. With them talking over each other and laughing at each other's jokes, it kinda sounds like they recorded a semi-improvised conversation first, and then made the animation to match it. AFAIK pre-recording the dialogue is pretty unusual for the Japanese animation industry, so if this is what they actually did it also could have been an interesting original idea. If only the jokes were funnier...

Overall, kinda meh so far. I'm willing to stick around to see if they make it better in the next episode, but as a fan of the SoL genre I don't recall ever being this underwhelmed by a first episode. A generous 3/5 from me.
vonPeterhofOct 5, 2013 10:59 PM
Oct 5, 2013 12:20 PM

Jul 2010
It sort of had a "gdgd faries" feeling but I feel it didn't quite match up to gdgd. I'll keep this on the backburner for now and watch the next episodes when I have a chance.
Oct 5, 2013 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
Okay, I have been watching Episode 1 again and again to try to figure what this
story is about. I have failed so far, but I have not given up yet. I went to the
Wikipedia page to look for a summary of the story, but found none. Then I went
to the official series webpage. Most anime series will have an overall description
of the premise of the series, but in this case there is none.

Even so, some things are quite notable and interesting:

- Both of the voice actresses for the 3rd-year girls (president and vice-president)
are 25 years old and veteran performers. So I assume we won't be hearing any
complaints. The other two actresses are age 19 and 17.
- The surnames of the four members of the club are also the four most common
surnames in Japan. See for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_common_surnames_in_Asia#Japan
- The given names of the four members of the club are among the top ten most
common names given to baby girls born in 2012.
- The official abbreviation is "Tesabu".
- Official webpage: http://www.ntv.co.jp/tesabu/
- Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/tesabu
- Japanese Wikipedia page:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%A6%E3%81%95%E3%81%90%E3%82%8C!%E9%83%A8%E6%B4%BB%E3%82%82%E3%81%AE

In terms of the four members, they can be summarized this way:

Yua / President / 3rd year / Lived overseas for a while
Hiina / Vice-President / 3rd year / Largest bra cup size
Aoi / 2nd year / The loner / Orange twin-tail
Koharun / 1st year / Retro style / Black ponytail

Earlier I had made a prediction that Yuyushiki and Kitakubu would be the last
"Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" anime series, allowing the genre to die honorably.
My opinion is that "Tesabu" is NOT a CGDCT anime series because the characters
don't look cute using the 3DCG animation technique. I tried hard to see them as
being cute but I just was unable. Also, CGDCT implies "doing things", but these
girls didn't seem to be doing anything.
okanaganOct 6, 2013 12:44 PM
Oct 5, 2013 7:17 PM
Dec 2012
Animation didn't look so strange despite 3D CG. VA felt strange though.
Oct 5, 2013 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
Please have a look at Post #1 above by vonPeterhof.

After watching the episode again very carefully, I agree 100% with his analysis of
the voice performances. Yes, it is completely different from what is normally done.
On the plus side, the conversation among the girls sounds extremely natural. On
the other hand, that means that it is a bit difficult to clearly understand what they
are saying since they often speak softly and interrupt each other. I don't know
how the subtitlers are going to handle it. This looks like something which is a
great technical achievement but perhaps a bad idea from an entertainment point
of view.
okanaganOct 6, 2013 2:14 AM
Oct 5, 2013 11:04 PM

Mar 2012
okanagan said:
vonPeterhof said:
... as a fan of the SoA genre ...

Sorry, what does "SoA" stand for? After Googling, all I could find was "Sons of
Anarchy".
Oops, I meant "SoL" (slice of life). Not sure how I did that, considering that the A and L keys are nowhere near each other on the keyboard! Corrected it now.
Oct 6, 2013 8:01 AM

Sep 2012
Actually the 3DCG (and MikuMikuDance too, so I heard) turns out not as bad as I thought. At least visually it is more bearable than gdgd Fairies. And it looks even better than Chokkyuu Hyoudai Robot Anime (also directed by the director of this anime) and given the fact that this is animating human characters not robots, I consider it a rather successful 3DCG anime project at least in terms of exploring the potential of 3DCG.

And when the seiyuu is any veteran or well-known figure, all except one have some good work behind them (Fantasista Doll's Uzume, Kiniro Mosaic's Shinobu etc) so it is already much better than Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku for example.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 8, 2013 7:02 PM

Apr 2009
The OP is the single greatest thing ever.
Oct 9, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2009
I loved the flow of the conversation went. It felt really natural, like the voice actors sat together in the studio, had a rough script in their hands but were allowed to improvise, interrupt, joke around and generally make it feel like a radio talk show or something. The animation responded well to this, and several characters moved at once. I don't think I've ever seen or heard that in a SoL anime.
Check out my eurobeat guide. Who knows, you might find yourself a new favourite genre!
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738669
Oct 9, 2013 5:25 AM

Oct 2012
Just after watching Episode #1 on Saturday, I posted some comments. But my
thinking has evolved quite a lot since then. At that time, I complained that the
girls did not seem cute. For me, the artifacts and artificiality of the 3DCG
animation made it too difficult to relate to the girls as human beings on an
emotional level. However, after watching the episode many more times, eventually
I found that I was able to see the characters as real girls with personalities.
Initially, I had said, unfairly, that Tesabu is not a "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things"
(CGDCT) anime series since the girls are not cute. I now retract that statement.

I had also complained that I had not been able to find any kind of summary of
what the story is about. Normally, the streaming sites, Anime News Network,
the Wikipedia page and the official webpage would have something like that. So
that was weird. It would be called the "synopsis" (あらすじ).

But finally I found it. Back on August 12th, the Japanese magazine Animate.tv
interviewed the producer and the director. It is here in Japanese:
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1376232322

At the end (page 5) they give this so-called "introduction". Here is the original
Japanese version:

It's really vague. Basically it seems to be saying that there is going to be this club
of three girls, and then they find a new fourth member.

So... their concept seems to be this: You put four girls into a club room, let the
voice actresses ad-lib to their heart's content and then use MikuMikuDance to
create 3DCG that matches whatever they do.

I'll try to pull out some key points from the five-page interview.
okanaganOct 9, 2013 5:53 AM
Oct 9, 2013 4:56 PM

Feb 2008
Ziljun said:
I loved the flow of the conversation went. It felt really natural, like the voice actors sat together in the studio, had a rough script in their hands but were allowed to improvise, interrupt, joke around and generally make it feel like a radio talk show or something. The animation responded well to this, and several characters moved at once. I don't think I've ever seen or heard that in a SoL anime.

But there were other moments where there were voices or laughs and none of those characters moved.

Oct 11, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2012
^never

This show really reminds me of backstage idol story, same shitty concept. Hope it is just 1 cour.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Oct 14, 2013 8:58 AM

Oct 2012
Here are many still images from Episode 1:
http://konamikan.blomaga.jp/articles/13204.html
http://animan.doorblog.jp/archives/33722483.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tamqmo/archives/33691599.html

It was not a close game. The final score:
Watermelon splitting team (スイカ割りチーム): 0
Normal baseball team (ノーマル野球チーム): 159
http://articleimage.nicoblomaga.jp/image/61/2013/6/0/601ceb2e6b86c742e2c5869f25bf8da0bd27df251381006648-s.jpg

See here for details about watermelon splitting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikawari

Here is Episode 1 of their weekly radio show:
てさぐれ!ラジオもの 第1回
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNnaMqWVJE
okanaganOct 14, 2013 9:33 AM
Oct 18, 2013 7:01 PM

May 2013
I don't know what to say about this episode.
Oct 18, 2013 8:41 PM

Jul 2013
Eh I would say it was okay, animation art and story was pretty bland though. Ah well nothing much to say on this, good thing that this is 11 mins so I guess I'll stick to this.

Oct 19, 2013 12:39 AM

Apr 2012
okanagan said:
So... their concept seems to be this: You put four girls into a club room, let the voice actresses ad-lib to their heart's content and then use MikuMikuDance to create 3DCG that matches whatever they do."

I think the idea is very good. If it works or not we shall see because I'm not sure too sure yet, I need to see more episodes but I did like the 1st one.
Oct 19, 2013 3:45 AM

Oct 2012
Greebo said:
I think the idea is very good. If it works or not we shall see because
I'm not sure too sure yet, I need to see more episodes but I did like
the 1st one.

Well said. I hope that people will give this series some extra patience in the
beginning rather than dropping it if they aren't entertained right away. Keep in
mind that we are seeing a major experiment. This series is being created in a
way that is technologically revolutionary. Yes, there have been 3DCG anime
series before. But this time we have realistic cute human figures with relatable
personalities. Just look at the two series created by this same team earlier this
year to see how fast they are progressing.

Ziljun said:
I loved the flow of the conversation. It felt really natural . . .

The task being required of the voice actresses is qualitatively different from what
is normally done. It is a fantastic idea to have them ad lib. On the other hand,
there are very few performers of any kind who can do great ad lib work. So, just
because ad lib voice performances now become possible because of the 3DCG
MikuMikuDance technology, it doesn't mean that it will be a creative success.

Omegad94 said:
animation art and story was pretty bland though.

In addition to these huge leaps, the animation producer and the director/writer
still have to grapple with the normal aspects of creating an anime series, such as
story, editing, sound and visual design. They are juggling many things at the
same time, and some balls are going to be dropped.

Many of the old-fashioned rules of how to create animation using traditional
methods no longer apply using 3DCG. So I hope people can be patient for a
few years before the potential of this new approach is fully realized.

I have watched the raws of Episodes 1 and 2 many times through, and I think
it's fantastic.
okanaganOct 19, 2013 4:02 AM
Oct 19, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2010
It's somehow interesting yet vague, the setting is familiar but the style not just the art but the way the girls do things is different from things that i have seen before.
It's pretty fast passed as well, most likely because of the episode length.
Really missing shows like this in this season, in my opinion this season is to action packed.
Oct 25, 2013 10:23 PM

Sep 2009
Couldn't get through it. The entire time I watched I felt like I was watching someone play a Japanese version of the Sims. ... Mannerisms and everything.
Oct 27, 2013 6:54 PM

May 2012
Really enjoyed it, but I think this is a bit too high level for me, what with all the references and everything. really hoping someone picks this up.

It reminds me of Straight-titel Robot Girls anime, and I loved that show (up till the final episode which was just...yeah)

The CGs great too!

lol at the way they decided to do baseball

No one seems to be playing the Tsukkomu, I wonder how that'll work out?
Nov 12, 2013 5:50 AM

May 2012
What did I just watch?
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Dec 12, 2013 9:49 PM

Feb 2012
3DCG could be the future of the animation, i can easily imagine that in the next years this technology will be much improved. As is it, i liked the episode and the series.
The characters were funny and the seiyuus were amazing.
Jan 19, 2014 5:51 AM

Sep 2012
The voice acting style was a great idea. Far more natural and all.

But the lips of the characters weren't in sync...
Mar 19, 2014 9:20 AM

Dec 2011
Why did I not watch this sooner? That was hilarious.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 25, 2018 3:42 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
YESSS! Another show with some type of improv in it!
I laughed as hard as 3:00AM could allow me to at many of these jokes!
I was thinking, "Hmm, feels a little like gdgd fairies". I was a little right! Director worked on it!
But yeah, even without knowing that, I'm excited to start the ride and I actually like how they made everything make sense. Like, nothing against them, but some other shows kinda force their improv in-- like they might throw in an unrelated segment or some random thing to get the 'prov goin'.
This skillfully tells you, "It's a club that allows us to think over which clubs we might wanna join but imagine them in a more interesting way" or whatever, but that's exactly what they did and I love that!
Woo I'm excited!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jan 30, 2020 2:34 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
A pretty fun first episode to be honest, it seems to be cool so far
Aug 19, 2022 4:49 PM
Feb 2015
it's just living a normal life, honestly it's like watching a bunch of streamers having an ormal conversation, can't get into it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tesagure! Bukatsumono Episode 12 Discussion

vonPeterhof - Dec 28, 2013

8 by Ashhk »»
Feb 9, 2020 3:48 PM

Poll: » Tesagure! Bukatsumono Episode 8 Discussion

okanagan - Nov 23, 2013

10 by Ashhk »»
Feb 7, 2020 10:57 AM

Poll: » Tesagure! Bukatsumono Episode 5 Discussion

okanagan - Nov 2, 2013

8 by Ashhk »»
Feb 4, 2020 6:19 AM

Poll: » Tesagure! Bukatsumono Episode 3 Discussion

okanagan - Oct 19, 2013

12 by Ashhk »»
Feb 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Poll: » Tesagure! Bukatsumono Episode 2 Discussion

rederoin - Oct 12, 2013

14 by Ashhk »»
Jan 30, 2020 2:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.