Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Pokemon: The Origin Episode 4 Discussion

Oct 5, 2013 6:04 PM

swaying between a 7 and 8, leaning towards 7 because of Red winning everything with "friendship" and how Charizard evolved again in the end was kind of asspull

definitely hit me in the nostalgia tho

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Oct 5, 2013 8:00 PM

For only 4 episodes, this has got to be the best pokemon series I've watched...
Mega Evolution was beast!! and the overall fight was amazing :)

Oct 5, 2013 8:02 PM

I rated this a 10.

Because it's perfect? no, definetely not. Everything was too fast, and wasn't consistent. Another user said if it was 13-episode long it could have become somewhat greater and i do agree.

However, i watched this special smiling. Since my inner child is happy, i'm grateful for it.

Such a pity it isn't a regular series.

Oct 6, 2013 1:12 AM
show over all seemed really rushed so i wish it had been a normal full season at least , still great tho and certain moments had me having mini happy tears at how well done they were. 8/10

Oct 6, 2013 3:09 AM

Enjoyed these specials. It was clearly rushed and watching it made me realise how silly the story is in pokemon games, but it was still entertaining and it reminded me of the (many) hours I spent playing the games back then.
The only disappointment from this was that the battle against the Elite 4. It was way too short, while I remember I had to grind for days to be able to beat them lol.
I liked the capture of Mewtwo, though.
I rated it a 7...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Oct 6, 2013 7:52 AM
Ugh here I thought the anime was an almost identical representation of how most classic pokemon fans had played Pokemon to begin with. Picking Charmander. Trying to catch every pokemon you see, including the trainers. Attacking Brock while he uses Bide.

This Mega Evolution kinda ruined all that feeling.
Well it was a good watch, but disappointing. When I had my hopes for a classic Pokemon series getting rid of Ash and Pikachu, I didn't imagine it having a mega evolution and Red catching Mewtwo with 2 ultra balls.
I never thought I'd say this, but now I hope the Gold saga does not get animated now. 2nd generation games were my favorite because of the 250 pokemon and 16 badges + final battle against Red. Kinda don't want any influences form 6th generation affecting it nor it being as short as this.

Oct 6, 2013 12:31 PM

Why the hell did Charizard become a Digimon?

Oct 6, 2013 2:56 PM

loved it soo much. ahh the nostalgia.
Live, Laugh, Love.

Oct 6, 2013 5:30 PM

This was a great series, even though it was only four episodes.

I really wish they ended with Red standing atop Mt. Silver as Gold walks towards him, and then it fades to black. I think that would have been the most bad ass ending ever. Oh well.

Oct 6, 2013 7:57 PM

Really loved this, I wish they hadn't rushed the battles, specially the one with Green. Overall was an enjoyable watch.

Oct 6, 2013 8:03 PM

I gave it an 8/10 due to really enjoying the way they adapted Red & Green. If anything it did have pacing issues but the fact that they actually did this is amazing.

Just imagine a long fleshed out series of just exploring kanto from start to finish. The possibilities are endless at this point, but I doubt they would ever do such a thing.

Seeing the mega evolution was cool, but wasn't necessary at all.

One more thing, Team Rocket were actually menacing, I never thought I'd actually see that in a Pokemon anime.
Fresh

Oct 7, 2013 1:09 AM
After watching this episode. The conclusion I made is Artificial Pokemon is stronger than Legendary Pokemon.

Oct 7, 2013 2:59 AM

said it in the thread for the first episode.

aside from being short this is the pokemon anime i always wanted. battles actually looked like battles. red getting shit done. nostalgia everywhere. "oh i did that in blue !!!!!"

origin made the regular pokemon anime look even worse than it already is.

5/5 just because it actually was a cool and fun pokemon anime.

go away ash no one likes you

Oct 7, 2013 3:31 AM

The final episode of Pokemon: The Origin and I had an amazing time watching it. Green vs Red was such a great match. Hearing the Champion Battle music playing in the background made the battle so much better. I love how Professor Oak favours Red so much even though Red isn't even related to Oak while Green is. xD Actually seeing the Hall of Fame was great. Suck on that, Ash! Green got crushed by his Blastoise while battling Mewtwo, whoa that's just crazy. I bet you that wouldn't ever happen in the actual Pokemon anime.

Red figured out the existence of Mewtwo thanks to him remembering about the journal he found at the Pokemon Mansion. The battle with Mewtwo is by far my favourite scene of this Special and I absolutely love this as a whole. The battle was so intense and you could actually see how much pain Mewtwo and Charizard was going through. Mega Charizard X is such a beast. I really liked how they tied in the mega evolution stone with this Special, to promote X/Y and try to garner the old Pokemon fans as well as new fans for the X/Y games. I loved how they teased Mew at the end. :)

Overall, this was an amazing Pokemon Special. This is the Pokemon anime that I've always wanted. I just wish this was the actual ongoing Pokemon anime instead of forever-10-years-old-Ash-Ketchup. This Special brought back so many memories, very nostalgic. Red > Ash. Now this has made me even more excited to play Pokemon X. >=D
9/10

Oct 7, 2013 9:41 AM

Red's match with Green was awesome!!!! But wow Charisard X vs Mewtwo EPIC!!!!!!!!!

Pikachu XDDD

Dat Safari Zone : 0

He caught the legendary Pokemon !!!!

Green Nooo!!!!!!!

Red is awesome, the best trainer, and he caught all 150 Pokemon. I want to see other adventure with Gold etc.

Oct 7, 2013 5:45 PM

I'd give this special a 7/10. I'm happy as a Charizard fan.

Animation gets lit on fire again in episode 4. Still, I'm a bit disappointed by the Champion fight. IT'S THE CHAMPION FIGHT! That little nut Green made you miserable, and he goes down like almost nothing.

In these important fights, the are K.Os left and right. And its desperate moves left with the starters. But the animation/art makes up for it.

- That shot with Blastoise getting punched was manly! Then there's MEWTWO getting punched in the damn GUT! I think I winced. His rage faces are great too.

- SCYTHER (Strike)! SCYTHER!!!!

- I WANTED TO SEE LANCE FIGHT! No, Dragonite and Aerodactyl...

- Why would Red try to catch his Charizard? ^^; Gonna break your bones kiddo.

Pretty good, especially the build up with Mewtwo.

Is Red so cute or what? He's easily likable. Now he wants Mew. I liked his sense of justice too; he was so not tolerating Giovanni/Sasaki, and compared to Green, I think both Sasaki and Mewtwo were the toughest fights.
Modified by shakeyourpup45, Oct 7, 2013 6:11 PM

Oct 7, 2013 6:11 PM
if only mewtwo actually took TWO ultra balls to catch in the game...

Oct 7, 2013 8:22 PM

Great surprise. Blue fire blast was awesome, but I still don't like the wings of Mega Charizard X.

Oct 7, 2013 8:56 PM

Nunez said:

That's what the Masterball was for :P

Oct 8, 2013 2:07 AM

Mehh, would've been better if it had like 12/13 episodes.

Still great though, being one that played the Pokémon red game (=

Oct 8, 2013 4:31 AM

Sucks that they didn't have Johto's champion beat Red at the end. That would have 100% made my day.

Oct 8, 2013 5:11 AM
This Specials were just epic, nothing to say, I really loved them. I can't even contain such epicness, oh my god

Oct 8, 2013 5:14 AM

Really nice advertisement for the new games,
now im even more excited to play lol.

Oct 8, 2013 10:17 AM
Posse said:
Nunez said:

That's what the Masterball was for :P

You got me there...

Oct 8, 2013 8:10 PM

I was expecting that at least the final battle(with mewtwo) will show a full battle(showing all Red's pokemon fighting) instead of cutting the other pokemon's battle/"screen time". Oh well guess there's no much time for it.

I didn't expect the mega evolution thingy. Kind of causes it to lose the meaning "The Origin". However I did enjoy the OVA overall though. Was good.

Oct 8, 2013 9:35 PM

All I can say after finishing this is Red sucks at battling. Yet somehow he wins(ie fire blast KOs blastoise but hydro pump doesn't KO Charizard seriously?)

Oct 8, 2013 10:11 PM

The only problem I had with this is the fact that it's only four episodes, which caused them to skip around certain parts and not being able to flesh out the characters a bit more (You could've done a bit more with Green at the end there, about him trying to get over the fact that Red had beaten him and his dream being crushed.) Give this, say, a 26 episode run (at the least), and this would've been the Pokemon anime we should've gotten a long time ago.

That, and while the mega evolution was cool, all it said to me was "BUY OUR NEW GAME!!!!!!"

Although, Pokemon has always existed to selling merchandise, hasn't it.

But as it was, though, I still enjoyed it immensely. Got me back in the Pokemon mood.

Oct 9, 2013 1:03 PM

So they replaced the Master Ball he was suppose to get with the the "Mega Evolution" something that didn't even exist in RBGY in the first place :/

4/10

Oct 10, 2013 5:05 PM
Kanade♥

Loved it, and I want more of it. Espeically where Red becomes the champion of all regions and is at the top of Mt. Silver.

Also dat Mew tease <33333

Oct 10, 2013 5:49 PM

This really is a dream come true; this whole series. Although short, although rushed, its what I and many others have always wanted. Episode four was definitely the best of the four episodes. The animation was just great at the end when Mega Charizard was facing you know who. This series is an 8/10. I think this definitely would have been a 10/10 if it wasn't four episodes and a real full series. I don't know why the makers of this and Pokemon in general don't do this, it'd bring back many old viewers and the newer younger generation would still like it because it would tie into the newer games (X and Y) like it did at the end! I'm sure there's a reason why they don't, but I don't know it now..

Good series, much nostalgia.

Oct 11, 2013 9:45 AM

Awesome we even managed to see the mega evolution from Charizard! Pretty epic final battle and ending to this small but great alternative Pokémon setting! Would love to see more but I'm already very content with these 4 specials! 8/10

Oct 11, 2013 1:24 PM

Very nice, brought back a lot of nostalgia of when I was playing the pokemon games as a kid. Charizard was so badass through all the episodes.

The shit at the end was a bit unnecessary though.

Oct 11, 2013 5:08 PM

That was epic! It might not have been the most faithful of adaptations, but I kinda like the link to Kalos with the Mega Stones and Mega Charizard X.

Mr. Fuji gave the stones to Red, so does that mean Fuji is involved and we'll see him in XY? We'll see!

8/10 for Pokémon: Origins!

Oct 12, 2013 6:50 AM

Yay, we get to Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha, and Lance! (^_^)

Even if the battle between Green and Red was short, I still like it!
Green's lineup: Pidgeot, Alakazam, Rhydon, Arcanine, Exeggutor, and Blastoise.
Red's lineup: Jolteon, Scyther, Lapras, Dodrio, Persian, and Charizard.
I feel sorry for Green though.

Oh my, Red caught Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.
And Mewtwo defeated Articuno! But Mega Charizard X was awesome!
Oh look, Mew! The journey is not over for Red.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.

Oct 12, 2013 6:51 AM

Great short Pokemon show to watch. So Mewtwo is not the strongest Pokemon anymore? Or was it because it was weakened by Red's other Pokemons before Mega Charizard fought it?

All in all, it was entertaining and exciting to watch.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Oct 13, 2013 6:52 AM

Fucking awesome.
8/10

Now is time to play Pokemon X

Oct 13, 2013 2:35 PM

This scene hit me right in the feels T_T

http://25.media.tumblr.com/902ccf3dae9306d57d5db55fb1ee4dda/tumblr_muj3lfbXSS1scepo2o1_500.gif

I know this has been said thousands of times already but they should of made this a longer series and adapted the 1st generation games in their entirety. Yet they still did a magnificent job with just 4 episodes. I've only played the first 2 generation Pokemon games so you can imagine how nostalgic I'm feeling right now as most people are after watching this.

9/10

Oct 14, 2013 6:38 AM

That was a good fun watch. Loved that Mewtwo made an appearance. Now I'm a bit sad that Pokemon X/Y will be the first series I don't play. Oh well ^^;

Oct 14, 2013 7:22 AM

I like how like half of the people that watched this OVA are butthurt because of the new Mega Evolutions :3

I mean - come on, it was predictable that when a nostalgic special is announced almost at the same time as the games, that it's basically product placement. And it wasn't even that bad, they animated 4 darn good episodes for you to enjoy and you still nag.

Oh and BTW: Pokémon X and Y are actually pretty good. If you would just take your pink nostalgia glasses off. Just sayin'.

Oct 14, 2013 1:58 PM

As someone who played almost all the games, I REALLY enjoyed this (the "continue" and "save" screens were a nice extra). My only complaint is; I wish they focused more on actual battles, that's the main thing that makes the game so fun!! I was happy to see Red had Scyther too. It's not Scizor, but close enough. If only it was in this generation....

Needalist said:
not going to promote mega Charzard Y ?
but Charizard X looks waaaaaay cooler

Oct 14, 2013 9:26 PM

Should have been longer. And I don't like the addition of the mega evolution at the ending. Nonetheless it's still a descent mini series.

Monochrome said:
As someone who played almost all the games, I REALLY enjoyed this (the "continue" and "save" screens were a nice extra).

Same here, I like the tiny bits of video game references present in the show.

Oct 15, 2013 2:21 AM
If only they didn't rush everything. If they actually took their time with it spanning across about 50 episodes this would have probably been one of my favorite anime (for nostalgia reasons). Not that this wasn't nostalgic, but it lacked depth and it just seemed like they were pandering to the older fans only to slap them across the face with the Mega Evolution gimmick to advertise X&Y.

It was really enjoyable nonetheless. 8/10

Oct 15, 2013 7:41 PM

I thought it was really good and nostalgic, would be better if it was longer the people who made the anime should know that, but was still really enjoyable! If they made a Gold/Silver/Crystal one as like a sequel that would be so good potentially better then this one. I'm also really excited for X & Y they look great but I don't have a 3ds and am yet to play it but huge fan of the previous games particularly the originals
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

Oct 15, 2013 8:28 PM

loved it. for some reason I thought the episode would just be the championship league, but I forgot how it went further than that ^.^ it's kind of funny because right after he caught mewtwo, I started frantically googling why mew comes after mewtwo in the pokedex, but then the last minute basically made it all make sense lol

nostalgia level over 9000... I want a 3DS for X & Y now!

Oct 16, 2013 5:06 AM
Talk about a nostalgia bomb! What a great series, to bad it was only 4 episodes -.-

Oct 17, 2013 8:28 PM

Nice
7/10
Great animation

Oct 18, 2013 9:27 AM

I really wish this was a 1~2 cour TV series and not a special, but alas a great watch. This makes me want to play the original again. T^T I wish Pokemon wasn't just about Ash's adventures this is why I prefer Digimon over Pokemon cause we always get a fresh new cast and protags for every new TV series (well excluding Zero Two).

9/10!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Oct 19, 2013 11:59 AM

elegantgeisha said:
I never in my life expected they would make something like these episodes, it's truly a dream come true. I know most people wish there was more, but I'm just really happy that these few episodes even exist, and I really doubt there will be any more. Of course these episodes weren't perfect and had their flaws, but they fulfilled my nostalgic wishes ...

This. I didn't have time to notice any flaws though, the feels were overwhelming my attention completely. NOTHING, nothing I say, has ever brought me back to my childhood like this anime did.

Oct 19, 2013 12:03 PM
They think there's only 149 pokémon in the world.
They know about Kalos and Mega Evolution.

Am I the only one who noticed this plot hole?

Oct 19, 2013 9:15 PM

This is how Pokemon should have been animated. That was great.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »