Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Pokemon: The Origin Episode 4 Discussion

Oct 20, 2013 1:29 AM

Great Pokemon mini series. I really enjoyed it, especially Charizard's Mega Evolution that was awesome. Overall great mini series!!!

Great episode!!!

Oct 20, 2013 6:05 PM

Top anime, I enjoyed every episode. It was also nice to see the pokemon having energy and not saying their own name.

Too bad that the X/Y Anime will again feature Ash. I saw the first two episodes and it was terrible, only the animation was very cool but the new friends very annoying -.-

Oct 23, 2013 1:07 AM

Redfoxoffire said:
This is how Pokemon should have been animated. That was great.
Thanks Origins for not being complete shit like all the other pokemon shows that have been coming out this last decade

if you were a full series i'd like you even more

Oct 23, 2013 11:26 AM

This made the other pokemon anime inferior by a shit ton.Unfortunately it was rushed and they picked which parts of the story they wanted to animate.I still love it though plus the charizard x reveal, battle with mewtwo at the end was awesome.I'll give 7/10 for this special.It was enjoyable.
Modified by The_Nut_Cracker, Oct 23, 2013 11:37 AM

Oct 24, 2013 10:14 AM
Caught it with an ultra ball..................... OH HELL NAW!

Oct 25, 2013 12:57 PM

There was so much nostalgia in these episodes; I can die peacefully now. Liked how Red was 1000x more badass than Ash ever was. I liked how they ended with Mew still being left and it would be sooooo cool if they made a 5th episode. Still, 10/10 for me even with the little errors.

Oct 27, 2013 9:16 AM

Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but if you really look past the nostalgia factor.. this wasn't very good.. And not only because it was rushed, but everything just unfolds waaay too conveniently. Which is fine for a game, but it doesn't really work within an anime. Cause it's like the world revolves around Red and Green and nobody else matters.
As flawed as the regular Pokemon tv series is, in some ways, how it deviated from the games was justified and actually made it a little more plausible as an anime.
This on the other hand was way too much like the game which turns out to be a bad idea in the long run.
Modified by Hatul, Oct 27, 2013 9:21 AM

Oct 27, 2013 9:13 PM
The best episodes were 1 and 3. This special was obviously rushed for promotional and other focuses, ex. the X and Y series. One thing's sure though, it bested years of Pokemon anime in four episodes. The battles felt real and the protagonist, Red, wasn't an incompetent, but an ACTUAL trainer, even if sending Charizard to end any match flaws the logic of type advantage. 7.5/10 because better rendition of Red vs Green and Giovanni, nostalgia, good OST and real battles.

Oct 28, 2013 4:57 AM

That was awesome! Best Pokemon battles seen! Unfortunately way too rushed, I wish we could see full series someday. Only if they had longer battles and some more of the Elite Four without that X & Y bullshit >.>..Even so enjoyed this a lot!

7.6/10

Nov 2, 2013 2:57 PM

Yeah use mega evolution instead of master ball ^_^ xd

Nov 2, 2013 10:48 PM

Finally a Pokemon anime without Ash. Decent, but WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too rushed.
Salmon is delicious.

Nov 4, 2013 8:40 AM

Red > Ash

so awesome, i want moree

Nov 9, 2013 12:21 AM

I think this might be my favorite episode of the four, solely because of the battle against Mewtwo. I was OBSESSED with Mewtwo as a kid, and didn't actually expect to see him at all in Origins. I assumed this episode was going to be the Elite Four and the final battle against Green, but they wrapped that up less than halfway through the episode! I wondered, what could possibly come next? But of course! The only proper way to end any Red/Blue/Green game...

Catching Mewtwo.

The only difference between Red and myself was that rather than a Master Ball, he used MEGA EVOLUTION. That felt a little shoehorned in, especially being as far from "gen one" as it possibly could. But Mega Charizard looks pretty damn cool, and I loved how Red had to go so far to catch Mewtwo. Not even Articuno stood a chance!

Although, now I'm curious... what the is it like for a trainer to have a Mewtwo? I mean, does he listen to Red? What do others think when they see him in battle? Do you have to beat a freakin' Mewtwo to become Pokemon Champion?

Overall, a fun little special that left me craving more every single time. Give us more of this! Does anyone care to see Ash anymore? I think everyone got over that character years ago, he's just an obnoxious caricature at this point.

Perhaps we can one day get an anime adaption of Pokemon Adventures, eh? A guy can dream...

Nov 12, 2013 1:57 AM

Not really complaining but, why would this be called, "pokemon origin" if they add mega charizard x in the anime?
Wouldn't that destroy the whole purpose of being "original" and being only "1st" generation pokemon?

Nov 14, 2013 7:25 AM

AWESOME
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Nov 14, 2013 8:03 AM

I found it a bit too fast paced! I would have wanted a well developed story.The fast forwarded the battle with the Elite four which would have been awesome. 4 episodes just isn't enough, RED NEEDS MORE EPISODES! I have had it with ash, he is way too childish! (Sorry about the rant but ash makes me mad >:( )

The animation was very well finished and pleasing to the eyes! And the fight with Mewtwo was epic not to mention that I was surprised when they brought in Mega Charizard X!

FULL OF NOSTALGIA! I NEED MORE!

Poor Red:

:: Hasanex ::

Nov 14, 2013 11:59 AM

Finally got around to watching the last episode... gotta say, it was amazing.

Of course if you took out the nostalgia factor it may not have been all that great, but this was made for the people who play the games. So nostalgia and all, 10/10. Loved every minute of it, even if it was rushed.

Nov 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Well, that was a nice nostalgia trip. Wasn't expecting that Charizard at the end. I'd watch more of this if they ever make more.

Nov 15, 2013 7:44 PM

As much as I love the original Pokemon, they should had done this in a much better way. They rushed it, too much. They should had done a full series of it. People would really love that.

Not only that, how the fuck Blastoise get 1H-KO'd by a Fire Blast? And Hydro Pump didnt finish off Charizard? lolwat? As far as I know, Hydro Pump does more damage since Charizard is a Fire type, yet Fire Blast done more and on a Water-type and..
lx_theo said:
Simply put, the advertisement for Pokemon X & Y was done badly. It felt jarring, especially with the talk of only 149 known Pokemon and Kalos in the same episode.

However, this series is enjoyable, they did it exactly, (actually, at least really similar to the games). The soundtrack is awesome (though I would had like that they used Lance's battle theme more), and the animation of the battles were top-notch compare to the alternate Pokemon series.

I wish I see more of the Gym Leaders, Elite Four and League Champion battles...

Series ends with an 8/10.

Greywinter said:

I really wish they ended with Red standing atop Mt. Silver as Gold walks towards him, and then it fades to black. I think that would have been the most bad ass ending ever. Oh well.

This. I was hoping for this to happen, it would be most satisfying ending if they made a season long series of Red.
Modified by skwok-raven, Nov 15, 2013 8:09 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro

Nov 21, 2013 10:57 PM
Did anybody else notice the growlithe chewing on a dead bulbasaur in the middle of the 4th episode? I guess they were just being realistic in that some animals are carnivores. It's just something that really stood out to me.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/c64ea55795d283a51abf155283c89fff/tumblr_mwnkmslrUF1rs4wxto1_500.jpg

Nov 22, 2013 10:03 AM

partfive said:
Did anybody else notice the growlithe chewing on a dead bulbasaur in the middle of the 4th episode? I guess they were just being realistic in that some animals are carnivores. It's just something that really stood out to me.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/c64ea55795d283a51abf155283c89fff/tumblr_mwnkmslrUF1rs4wxto1_500.jpg

That's not a dead Bulbasaur... that's a simple SUBSTITUTE DOLL.

Anyway, about the episode... I expected a lot more, but I was wrong. The Elite-4 battles (usually epic moments) have been skipped, including Lance. The battle with Blue was mostly skipped too, leaving just the final part. I've been so disappointed by this. Just the legends and the Mewtwo presence can be saved, and even if there are some signs of epic battles there, the battle is too short and rushed too. First they want to give us a "game-realistic" special, and then Mewtwo is caught with 2 Ultra Balls. No, just... just no.

2.5/5. Gave 3/5 because of Pokémon. But I'm strongly disappointed. Overall 7/10 on my list.
Modified by IvanAipom93, Nov 22, 2013 3:03 PM

Nov 23, 2013 6:39 PM
DatLookTho

The last scene was my favorite.
Overall, this gets 6/10.

Nov 29, 2013 11:47 AM

this is how pokemon animes should be. i just wish they had more time to work with

Nov 29, 2013 7:53 PM

This series reminded me how much I love pokemon, even though I stopped watching the original series.

So good to actually see mewtwo getting caught in the anime.

Too bad it was only 4 episodes, but all of them were really nice and they made me want to play pokemon red once again to get back to the good old times.

Nov 29, 2013 10:49 PM
Mayin said:
This series reminded me how much I love pokemon, even though I stopped watching the original series.

So good to actually see mewtwo getting caught in the anime.

Too bad it was only 4 episodes, but all of them were really nice and they made me want to play pokemon red once again to get back to the good old times.
Same, I've just finished playing fire-red a few days ago ^_^

Tbh, this series went by too fast for my liking, but I'm still glad there was an anime adaption in the first place.

I would have really preferred to see Red's fight with Agatha though, and also hear her calling Oak an "old duff" lol

Nov 29, 2013 11:59 PM

And wrap things up with Red defeating green in the Pokemon League and snagged 150 Pokemon in his Pokedex, well with Mew the last one he will capture... It was a great 2 hour nostalgia pokemon run overall.

Despite it's rushing scenes, fast pace battles, and skipping most of the gym leaders, Elite 4, and the storyline, it was a good 4 special episode. It portrayes realistically, animation was amusing, nostalgia BGM and managing to finish off every pokemon he can fine, even the Legendary Pokemons. Overall I'll rate this 7/10, I wish the series have at least a full 24-26 episode season.

Dec 8, 2013 11:14 AM

Interesting that they included the mega evolution thing, heh.
The series did feel rushed but I can't help feeling glad they released this, I really loved the game back in the day.

Dec 14, 2013 4:00 PM

The ending let this down for me. :(
This was sooooooo so great, beter than the Pokemon series I grew up with; I like the visuals, the fight scenes were great, I like the pace and would loved to have seen a series expanding further on the events of the original games; going years back but I remember the storylines from the old games.
This dipped for me with the intro of the new generation temporary evolution, seriously, wasn't this anime promotion enough? No, they had to slot in a XY addition from the new gen' games that has nothing to do with the original games this anime was entirely based on.
9/10.

Dec 16, 2013 4:33 PM

Some of the pokemon Red had in his team in the Pkmn League were...strange choices. But nevertheless, I love the fights. Though I'd make sure my entire team is at least 10 levels more than Green's then none of my pokemon would faint xD

I love how they showed Red catching the rest of the pokemon to complete his pokedex. Esp when they showed him catching Pikachu and Chansey.

I also love the battle between Mewtwo and Charizard. And Red thinking about how much his Charmander had grown. It's really genuinely sweet and inspirational.

Overall, this entire special is amazingly done and is a faithful adaptation. A bummer that this is short-lived while the other series get to last for another eternity...

Dec 16, 2013 7:04 PM

LOL THAT ENDING BIT... What a tease!!

Dec 17, 2013 12:58 AM

Not too happy about seeing a mega evolution in this. Really goes against the original.

Animation was great. Made the fights feel intense.

Now Red needs to glitch himself a Mew.

In the end, this was a nice watch despite how rushed it was.

Dec 17, 2013 7:02 AM
Very cool show, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I haven't played Pokemon in years, but the games and anime played a huge role in my childhood. It was great to see an anime that was based off the games, where the main character would actually try to catch them all, unlike Ash. I do have to admit, this show was pretty rushed and I do wish that it was longer. It would have been perfect if it was at least 13-26 episodes long. Still, due to nostalgia, I liked Pokemon The Origin enough to give it an 8/10.

Dec 19, 2013 5:36 PM

Surprisingly, this was one of the best game adaptations I ever seen and we are talking about Pokemón, you heard me? Pokemón! It was really faithful even though it was fast paced, there was a good sense of nostalgia and a good surprise at the end. If the companies who think of making game adaptations could learn from their mistakes and take this one as an example/reference, it would be a huge step in making good game adaptations in the near future. By the way awesome animated fights too!!! And here I thought Pokemón was dead...

Dec 19, 2013 5:49 PM

GreenBlockhead said:
I rated this 6/10 on my list. It was good, but not great.

Come on dude, give it a 7 or 8(good or very good) even though it had 4 epis it was the best adaption of them all, no?

Dec 20, 2013 5:36 AM

Awesome !!! Episode 4
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Dec 23, 2013 4:47 PM

Meh, they really needed to bring in that new mega evolution thing, didn't they? :/
It was still a nice episode though. I'm happy they put in Mewtwo as the final "task" in the game after beating the elite four.
Btw, how come Prof. Oak doesn't know about the hundreds of other pokémons? I mean he is supposed to be pretty wise, he should at least know about pokémons that live in other regions :S
Even if Red were to catch Mew he would be still missing the mightiest and most elusive pokémon of them all, Missingno. :D

This was a pretty good special, too bad it was so fucking short (could have easily been a 1-cour). I know it was only for advertising though :/
I'm not too happy about some changes to the original game, but it was still an enjoyable experience (and still much better then that mediocre show we have now and which doesn't come any close to the glory of the games).

7/10 mainly because of the annoyingly short length and wasted potential :/

Jan 8, 2014 1:51 PM

wow, the battles in this was entirely to intense, specially that falcon punch towards blastoise,

regardless, afterwatching this, ive been playing pokemon y alot now haha.

Jan 17, 2014 3:51 PM

That was great. I wish it was longer though.
Great battle against Mewtwo. The megalution wasn't that necessary but I guess it was to get people hype for X and Y?

Mar 25, 2014 10:20 AM
Zero_r2 said:
OGFG!!!!! my childhood is screaming!!! that was fucking awesome!! i had my doubts about mega evolution, BUT O MY GOD fucking amazing and epic!!

thanks to that game, the life of a lot changed, thi was beitifull, thank you pokemon company =D

Tacas said:
If this had been a 13 episodes series, it could have become great.

13? they should just let ash die, imean, look at the games, red is this cool, gold,silver,ruby,zaphire,pearl, diamond,nate and the others should have their own anime, then the pokemon franchise would realyy(and i mean more than now) sell

Yeah it was short but stll an AWESOME experience xD ... I'm more peeved by the fact Red caught Mewtwo in an Ultra ball.. I mean seriously you introduce the master ball like 2 episodes earlier & Don't use it?? WTF Man ?!? I had My hopes up that he would use the Master ball after Mewtwo blasted the 1st Ultra ball to bits but nope. That Mewtwo vs Mega Charizard X battle though.. EPIC XD

Oh & Agreed they should make more of those from other games.. But if your interested in seeing all those characters you mentioned as leads I recommend the manga Pokemon Adventures.. Its Awesome, actually has a better plot than this one & it follows every lead from all the games (Yellow included).. So yeah if you're a fan of the games & you enjoyed this special You will LOVE Pokemon Adventures
Modified by LuciusMadgloom, Mar 25, 2014 10:26 AM

Mar 26, 2014 5:05 PM

I think maybe an extra episode for the Elite Four would've been good, but not really beyond that. I mean if you remember well, after each battle you get treated to the "pokemon and trainers live together/love/respect blahblahblah" and that's fine in the games because you did other stuff in between, but in an anime? Unless you only wanna see the battles... I think they would've stretched it too much for 13 episodes, although I agree that 4 episodes is too little.

I didn't like seeing the mega-evolution though... that's a too recent development in the franchise for it to show in the very first game story, and that's not how all the players remember catching Mewtwo. Problem is though, we already got Charizard being badass when Red fought Green, so they needed to up the ante so at some level I understand why they did that. I guess it also works to tie in the oldest pokemon game with the newest one for the sake of the younger kids that might be watching this.

Overall pretty good, and a nice nod to the fans.

Mar 31, 2014 5:22 AM

It was great :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 21, 2014 3:24 PM

Well then. That was quite the ride. Not a good ride, just a small ride of nostalgia, and it didn't do that even well. Some end thoughts/points.

- When I heard that they would animate the original Pokemon game, I was excited, then it was announced to be a short special. Ok then, maybe they can still make it good. Hmm.. Fine, they animated some parts of the story, mostly quite smoothly, but also it looked quite lazy at times. Would have been much nicer if they've done it better since they left out sooooo much stuff.

- Red. Everyone's beloved 1st gen protagonist. What do you do? Make him just another "Treat Pokemon with love" character. (I know he was that in the game too, but not as flashy as in here) Then you let him be voiced by Naruto and all the credibility flies out the window (Awesome Seiyuu, but seriously she sounds the same in every role). In my honest opinion, the character fell flat since the story was so rushed that no one could really care. And get this, even Ash (WHo most "Smart Pokemon fans" want to finally grow old and DIE) is a much better character, because he at least IS A (built up) CHARACTER!.

-Green will still be the douche of the year. Except in this one, where he only showed up doing absolutely nothing and then it's supposed to be a big deal when he is the last challenge before becoming the champion. It is a big deal in the game, since you have been interacting with his douchiness throughout the entire story, and finally face him in the last big showdown.
In this it's just meh, meh and meh. After thought, after the completely wasted Elite Four.

-The 2nd half was actually the best part of the entire "series". The whole Mewtwo back story (If you can even call it that) was interesting to see, and the battle was nice, although short and in my opinion he should not have been beaten. I know, I know. You have to catch it to finish the pokedex and fulfill your place as the ultimate trainer, but I do not like to see this legendary bad ass be caught in a pokeball by this derpy derp character. And wow did he really have to use Articuno, talk about making the legendary bird look like shit.

Overall it was a nice little kick to my nostalgia pokemon bug (Caterpie?), but man give me a whole length show that can actually build up protagonists and villains, plus even in this short time, they destroyed Giovanni completely.

4/10.
Modified by Sir_Lexa, Apr 22, 2014 1:35 AM

Jun 17, 2014 12:39 PM

I gave this a 10 out of 10 even though it could have easily been made in to at least 12 or 13 episodes and devoted an entire episode to Red defeating each gym leader instead of I think showing two battles lol.

But I haven't watched Pokemon in years until I saw about this and was going to watch it online but then found it on demand on CITV in the UK just the other day and watched all 4 episodes in a row and really enjoyed it.

Defeating the elite four in this episode then Blue was really great and then Charizard evolved in to Mega Charizard to defeat Mewtwo and it was really great! Then we saw a glimpse of Mew at the end.

I think this may be my favourite Pokemon series of all the ones I've seen which isn't really that many because I stopped watching a long time ago but this was great and interesting with the videogame music and making it look like the game at start and end saying continue and save. Also loved hearing the Pokemon not saying their names and sounding hurt instead! The battles in this were really great, better than in the original series I thought.

Jun 29, 2014 1:31 AM

The mega-evolution felt totally out of place for me. Too bad, I guess. Other than that, it was an alright 4 episode special.
your waifu is shit

Jul 14, 2014 6:16 AM

To be honest, I actually liked these specials a great lot.

Indeed, they felt a bit rushed. I wish we could see Red fighting gym leaders (especially since Kanto had some awesome characters), not to mention his battle with Elite Four and later Green... but then, I guess they didn't have time to put all of that in 4 episodes.
The appearance of Mega Evolution felt a little awkward as well... I mean, at least for me it was supposed to be a nostalgia trip back to the early Pokemon games, and the sudden usage of Mega Evo just didn't fit there. I get that they wanted to advertise X/Y, but I feel like the game would sell anyways, even without showing Mega Charizard in this anime. (Although I have to admit that it looked pretty amazing.)

I liked that they explored some of the interesting storylines (such as Lavender Town, Team Rocket or Mewtwo) and the dynamics between Red and Green were interesting too (btw, I felt sorry for Green in the last episode, he's one of my favourite characters in the Pokemonverse).

I really wish they made this into longer series, preferably with 13 episodes. This way they'd have enough time not to rush and show other characters too. Not to mention if they made series like this for all Pokemon games; I'd especially love to see Black&White made like this anime, especially N's storyline.

But in the end, I guess that I enjoyed these specials, better this than nothing.

Aug 14, 2014 12:52 AM

Yes using a Mega Evolution really is out of place for the original games, but it was still awesome!! Yeah the only drawback to this was that it wasn't fleshed out into a full show. This is how pokemon should have been animated from the get go! Mewtwo was an absolute monster, which is how he should be!

8/10, great special.

Aug 19, 2014 2:44 AM

This is the way Pokemon should be. No damn annoying Ash and Pikachu and actual monster sounds for once. Also liked that Red actually became Pokemon champion and even caught some legendaries.
Disliked Giovanni's sudden and extreme change of heart the most, but whatever. Just a short series, so it's fine.
What a nostalgia trip this was for me.

Overall, the OVA was okay. If there'll ever be a series made like this and not that garbage that's the current series, I would most likely watch it.

Oct 1, 2014 11:10 AM
I wonder why they wanted to put so much time into the the Mewtwo capture. It was definitely entertaining but I would have rather seen longer gym, elite four, and rival battles. The battle with Green should have gotten more focus imo.

That aside, great little Pokemon special. The Johto region is my favorite of all and I thought Silver, Gold, and Crystal were the best games so it would be really cool to see a similar adaption. I didnt mind the pacing too much. It startled me at first, but the episodes were just so enjoyable (nostalgic too) that I can overlook it. I really wish that the original Pokemon series they did (and are still doing) could be more like this. It was a great watch for me. 9/10

Oct 18, 2014 10:42 AM

Lizardon's design is better than in Best Wish and special strongest mega evolution. Great! I like this show so much.

Nov 26, 2014 2:27 PM

Best episode for this special by far, and Ash, oops I mean Red finally caught a Pikachu. That Mega Evolution is pretty sweet, looking forward to XY now. Red actually catches all the legendary, wow, but actually I prefer the way of the original series, it just doesn't feel right to have a main character with the legendary. I got somewhat excited when Red mentioned that Mew is still out there somewhere.

As for this special overall, I prefer the original series to be honest, and I prefer Ash over Red.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »