Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Oct 5, 2013 3:38 PM

Feb 2013
Every time they say "dreamshade"... my head interprets it as "nightshade" (Gengar! I choose you!...)

Considering this felt like typical KyoAni... I suspect that what little action there is (was) will subside after a few episodes and it will digress into the normal KyoAni school-life. I wonder how many episodes I'll manage before I get bored and drop it. The preview looked promising though... that bandage dreamshade looks pretty cool.

That dark-haired girl in the lit club... jealous much? (obvious b-tchy flirts)
Oct 5, 2013 4:12 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Mhmm, KyoAni goodness. Fancy animation again. I remember this blood manipulation from... Deadman Wonderland, I think?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 5, 2013 8:01 PM
Sep 2013
Good first episode, great animation as expected from KyoAni. The story seems like other KyoAni series, a girl with problems and a guy who helps to solve them. Let's wait for the next episodes to see what's going to happen.
Oct 5, 2013 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
Okay episode. Will keep watching though
Oct 6, 2013 1:22 AM

Aug 2012
Reaper71 said:
Am I the only one that thinks this show is very similar (and I mean VERY similar) to Bakemonogatari? I mean, think about it; it's not only the mystery/occult premise that they share. The main guy is very similar to Araragi, right down to the immortality (or heightened healing ability), and his friend in the literature club seems like a combination of Senjougahara and Hanekawa: always talking down to him in a sort of haughty way (Senjougahara) while being seemingly his only friend (Hanekawa). The way the characters speak to each other, with the female character leading the charge and the male character reacting (typically flamboyantly) just screams -monogatari. And even some of the visual direction (such as when they were talking in the park) mirrored the way the Monogataris change visual styles at the drop of a hat depending on the conversation. I might just be seeing something that's not there, but to me, it's a pretty glaring and easy comparison to make.

Regardless, the episode was okay. I didn't like how they tried to force characterization at nearly every point, such as during the MCs speech at the beginning (typically all disguised, direct characterization, telling and not showing), and over the course of his many interactions with Mirai (I know you are immortal, it has been discussed and explained, thank you). Mirai seems like a typically KyoAni moeblob, but nevertheless, she's pretty likable. The art and animation were typically KyoAni fare: that is to say, they were excellent.

Overall, I'm going to keep watching. I was excited for this before, and even though it has disappointed me so far, I'm sure it will get better soon.

^this

that's also the reason i can't fully enjoy this episode, i hope next ep will be better.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 6, 2013 3:40 AM

Nov 2012
good and funny episode, although i felt like it lacked some explanations. visuals are stunning. well let's see how this continues ~
Oct 6, 2013 3:54 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Was waiting for this. Good episode. The op makes me excited for upcoming episodes.
Oct 6, 2013 6:15 AM

May 2011
this was the best anime i have watched after SnK, well, not the best since Hajime no Ippo do exist.. lol but i have that feeling which tell me "hay, where's the next episode", i really liked the first episode, i want to see what those two could do, the story is good as the art, i can tell that I'm gonna watch this anime to the last episode,,
5/5
Oct 6, 2013 6:36 AM

May 2011
therandomestguy said:
i'm interested, it's just the first episode but this looks like it will be good

i wanna know if the dude has any powers other than immortality, like an offensive ability to fight with

actually he probably doesn't since he ran away from the girl in that one scene, but they did say they fought several times before that and he lost so that might be why he ran

i do believe that he has the power but he doesn't want to hurt or something like that because it's usual thing to see the hero with some sort of hiden power, well.. we will see what he can do soon,

Vanisher said:
Not really interested for now, but I guess I won't drop it yet.

it's very good for the first episode, don't be greedy :)

Yoona-chan said:
Nothing to keep me interested here. Animation was nice but there's just no tension at all. The whole youmu thing really made me yawn.

The atmosphere was nearly exactly the same as when watching Hyouka ep. 1. A lot of uninteresting blabbering and something oh-so-mysterious behind it all.

In a way I'm satisfied this didn't turn out to be any better. Now I have more time for the really GOOD series this season.

then drop it

jayvon said:
It's my first time seeing this type of artwork and animation which is the same type as Free!, Hyouka, and Robotics;Notes associated with a supernatural theme. And it looks lie the family thats in charge or whatever put that Youmu in her room. By the way does anybody know what a Youmu is? I googled it but I couldn't get a straight answer .

well, this's not a suitable place to talk about free!.. lol, i droped free after the first episode,

Khaledwx said:
what kind of stupid reason is that? lol she's wearing glasses and she's also a klutz epic combination

the glasses suit her though,,

Santoryu_XBurner said:
Been looking forward to this one. Didn't expect Mirai to suddenly stab Akihito in the beginning. At least he is immortal and cannot die. The OP and ED song sound really good.[/quote

i didn't expect a lot of things xD

klasmiit-gamay said:
It was kinda fast-pace for me but it's really amazing, the animation. I really like the ending animation and the colors they used as well. I need to watch it again to understand more. I'm so slow. >.<!!!

for me it was kind of slow,
Oct 6, 2013 6:53 AM

Aug 2012
The first episode was really interesting. I didn't quite follow the story, but I loved the narration which was kinda humorous and witty. It's almost like this anime has bits of Chuunibyou, Hyouka, and the Kyon's narration from Haruhi. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 6, 2013 9:11 AM
Aug 2013
The show itself looks beautiful.. Just hope its got the story keeps me interested in the coming episodes c:
Oct 6, 2013 9:11 AM

Oct 2010
the very first scene felt like harry potter but more pink
Oct 6, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
So far the first episodes of the new season have been pretty good. I like the animation and it's got a very interesting plot.
Oct 6, 2013 1:42 PM
Jul 2013
I hope Mitsuki doesn't become a backseat character. She caught my attention as the most interesting character in episode 1. I didn't exactly like the fact that Mirai was played up as this overly clumsy moe blob. She will probably undergo a coming-of-age progression as the series continues though.
Oct 6, 2013 3:33 PM

Aug 2012
Good music, interesting story and characters. You've got my interest again, KyoAni.
Oct 6, 2013 7:53 PM

Jul 2008
My only complain is that her Mole Poblano was too red. It need to look like chocolate, not blood.

Oct 6, 2013 8:05 PM
Jul 2012
turbokaz said:
I hope Mitsuki doesn't become a backseat character. She caught my attention as the most interesting character in episode 1. I didn't exactly like the fact that Mirai was played up as this overly clumsy moe blob. She will probably undergo a coming-of-age progression as the series continues though.

my thoughts exactly
Oct 6, 2013 11:57 PM

Aug 2011
Why is Nase so moe.
Oct 7, 2013 6:35 AM

Oct 2012
ouch.the old kyoani is back
i missed my gay swi..
oh nevermind..
it was an acceptable start
Oct 7, 2013 6:42 AM
Mar 2011
I didn't really like it. Could have been better. It looks like a plot generated by a computer.
Oct 7, 2013 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
Actually found a female character in glasses attractive for the first time. Not really sure where this is going to go, but I will keep watching it. I like the male lead though.
Oct 7, 2013 11:35 AM

Oct 2011
Mirai... too moe for me atm. I mean, she IS cute, but it felt forced.
I'm liking the rest though. Will keep watching.
Oct 7, 2013 3:15 PM

Jul 2013
Woah. Love the freaking ending song. And the animation as brilliant, as expected from Kyoto animation.

The main character seems pretty interesting and so those Mirai, I usually get super annoyed by the cliche cute clumsy anime character, but she seems interesting.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Oct 7, 2013 3:43 PM

Jul 2013
sauteed_roaches said:
BakemonoHyoukaWonderland? anyone? interesting, but i should be lowering my expectations...

Exactly what I'm thinking.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Oct 7, 2013 8:00 PM
Mar 2012
shadeling, WOW reference?

That monster so cute & fuwafuwa reminds me of something from a Miyazaki film, mix with abominable snow monster from the ski game.

animation is quite refined. attention to detail like uniform ribbons swaying, blood sword liquid momentum. ED was forgettable, OP song was nice.
Oct 7, 2013 9:49 PM

Oct 2009
:\ characters are over used
Main character looks pretty meh. sure he'll be badass later and that he'll be charmingly tsukkomi. but still there're no interesting things about him...

The loli cheery clumsy girl makes me sick. A dojikko would be fine but that childish... ugh. we already had Rika from Chuunibyou and in my opinion was very forgettable if it weren't for her "condition".

Animation is of course, as we all KNOW, will be superb. It's KyoAni. they already have this reputation of producing flawless animation. But why are they still sticking with pretty weak stories starting from Hyouka -_-

very disappointing. and I was hyped too. But then it looked like a bad Bakemonogatari rip off crossed with Chuunibyou.
Oct 8, 2013 4:01 AM
Oct 2013
Red_keys pretty much summed it up, disappointing characters and story, though the animation was great.

Very mediocre first episode.
Oct 8, 2013 7:42 AM
Jan 2013
Did not expect so much hate on this one! I though it was actually really good

OP and ED are amazing, its the very same feeling that KyoAni manages to give me every time I watch one of their works

Pace is good, its not at all rushed and I really love the coloring palette KyoAni used

Was great, will watch next episode :)
Oct 8, 2013 8:01 AM

Jan 2012
These same characters are used in so many Kyoani anime. Lol the girl with the black hair looks exactly like Mio from K-On! and the main girl has the same hair style as Ritsu and then that one random youmu fighter who came in, she reminds me of the two older women characters in K-On! and Free!.

Overall first ep was ok, hopefully it gets better. Oh and not to mention main girl's overused "catchphrase" or however, Hyouka anyone?!?
Oct 8, 2013 8:53 AM
Jan 2011
when i read the description and saw "blood" i immediately thought of deadman wonderland, and decided to give this show a watch. it's rare these days to have characters with that particular power, so it was nice to see it being used. so the show has promise of being good.

that said, all the boring conversations between the boy and the love interest a (black hair girl) was boring. clumsy love interest b (the one that can make a blood sword) has more interesting interactions with the boy, but that maybe because i'm bias and like her power. none of the characters that talked so far are really that impressive, including the boy.

mummy ghost cliffhanger has also hooked me to keep watching. really like the design of this monster, and i hope it won't be treated like the "monster of the week" thing. unless there's a cooler looking monster to replace it.
Oct 8, 2013 10:01 AM
May 2012
So far, I'm not getting anything except that very cool ED.

Hopefully the story builds up in the later episodes.
Oct 8, 2013 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
naens said:
I didn't really like it. Could have been better. It looks like a plot generated by a computer.

Lol. This. Exactly.
Oct 8, 2013 2:09 PM
Jan 2012
Mirai reminds me of Yui from the K-ON series :3
Oct 8, 2013 3:54 PM

Nov 2012
Enjoyed this first episode, looking forward to what this anime has to offer.
Oct 8, 2013 4:30 PM

Dec 2011
I like it I think ill stick with watching it
Oct 8, 2013 5:44 PM

Nov 2009
Pretty generic Kyo ani stuff. Can't stomach it. Dropped.
Fear is the mind killer.
Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
What to say when unknown girl wanna suicide? "Don't die, I love your glasses!" or "Die, but first gimme your glasses, they will break up!"
Oct 9, 2013 11:29 AM

Sep 2009
ahaha, just as i thought.. LOL. Akihito's seiyuu is the same with Jinbei from Mushibugyou :D

Oh well, that was nice :D
Oct 9, 2013 4:32 PM

Aug 2013
Kuriyama Mirai is the biggest ball of moe ever, good lord....
Oct 9, 2013 5:46 PM

Aug 2013
cute girl with glasses and 1 more thing she have a cool ability to control her blood like it :)
Oct 9, 2013 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
Hmm.

5/10 Has potential

The attempt at seriousness is downplayed by shoehorned moe cuteness. A small, small, small amount of character depth was shown, but not enough to warrant my interest considering that the unnecessary character quirks were forced in there.

Swear to God, KyoAni, you need to learn how to make an anime that takes itself seriously. Not every show can be saved with shoehorned, forced character quirks.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 9, 2013 8:25 PM

Jun 2012
Woah, great animation! Looks pretty interesting, looking forward to more ^^

Oct 10, 2013 11:34 AM

Aug 2013
@Zel_Ezl
Somebody have Little Big Fetish, yup? :D
Oct 10, 2013 4:34 PM
Jul 2009
Got surprised a bit on how it turned out looking forward to future episodes hoping it gets better.

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Oct 11, 2013 3:44 AM

Apr 2013
Those two remind me of Makoto and Rikka. But this time we have a clumsy version of Rikka :p
Oct 11, 2013 8:58 AM

May 2013
HYOUKA + CHUUNBIYOU DEMO KOI GA SHITAI = KYOUKAI NO KANATA
Oct 11, 2013 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
Hm, seems like it will be at least an alright show. Kyo Ani's art and animation is impressive as always.

My only criticism is of that forced cuteness early on in the episode.

I'll watch more to see how this series turns out.
Salmon is delicious.
Oct 12, 2013 5:36 PM
Aug 2013
Just watched the first episode and it seems to be a really nice anime!

Now I'm looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 13, 2013 5:10 AM

May 2013
Mirai reminded me of Rikka (Chuunibyou) a lot. Also, funny how the main protagonist is a meganecon.
Oct 13, 2013 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
interesting plot and nice animation....not to mention the op was pretty epic
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

537 by fnafjeremy »»
Jan 12, 9:02 AM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.