Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2016 9:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The film, or half film, that´s find, but insuficient....action, personal drama and the begining of a great adventure, but, i repeat, insuficient how film....6/10.
Jul 3, 2017 9:45 PM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 11, 2018 7:55 PM

Aug 2013
Felt like a cash grab, and certainly not of the quality one would expect from this series. It was like seeing a LOTGH backdrop with characters that are supposed to be the one's we know, yet devoid of all their usual charm.
Dec 16, 2018 12:52 AM

Dec 2015
It might be one of those ever recycled stories but this is the kind that works easily. Starting great, wandering midway and finishing well.

It's hard to consider this as a movie, it looked way too awkward at times.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 5+/10
Mar 13, 2019 2:02 PM

Aug 2017
Kinda mixed feelings. The first part of the movie about the childhood of Kircheis and Reinhard has almost nothing new to offer with little additional material and a bit of changed details here and there. It wasn't bad though, Annerose kissed Kircheis, you know, pretty cute to watch. Although I feel that the original series was better at showing Reinhard's hate for the nobility with him coming at a nobility party in the evening and trying to shoot somebody.

I must say though that the evaluation of things like the changed designs is a matter of perspective. Sure, they are not the same, but are they bad? I don't think so, for the most part. The new battleships look pretty cool and have more variety to them, Yang and Dusty finally have a natural hair color, you know... Just an interesting thing to pick up. I understand the fans hating the movie for such drastic changes, but personally I didn't feel any anger about that aspect of Goden Wings. Although as for Kircheis and Reinhard, I prefer my good old boys from the OVA (Yang and Dusty too).

Now as for the villain, he was outright stupid. And the other dude with sunglasses too. I mean, we are observing some military people do some stuff in a fortress, you know, a dude with long hair in front of his eyes should not be a thing in the army. Soldiers and officers have no hair in front of their face for a reason - in order not to restrict sight. This dude and the sunglasses dude violate that. Also, I wonder how did Krumbach even survive in an army with a LIPSTICK? The Imperial forces seem to be pretty manly, you know... Anyway, the villains' designs are strange, and their actions are pretty dumb. Not every villain has to be incredibly smart though - this dude just have a personal grudge and an assignment from Benemunde, who also has a personal grudge, so it makes some sense that Krumbach is not the most rational person in the world. We've also seen this in OVA - people hating Reinhard purely because of his early success are just envious idiots. Those kinds of people just can't be intelligent. So this was probably the reason for Krumbach to be cliche here and there - he is constantly speaking instead of just killing his enemies when he has an opportunity. In the end, this cliche part of him was punished and he died a pretty cool death. I genuinely enjoyed the hanging scene, although I would act differently if I needed to kill Reinhard and Kircheis.

However, some strange moments appeared too. While on the spaceship, Krumbach basically tried to shoot Reinhard but was stopped by Kircheis, and then what? Shouldn't he be arrested or something for an attempt of murder of an officer? What are these metal things attached to the armchairs are supposed to do? Do they serve as some kind of handcuffs, but for the neck? Not clear.

My comment turns out to be a little messy with me changing themes so quickly, but I just need to appreciate the bromance between Kircheis and Reinhard. Playing with your friend's hair is a sign of pretty close relationship.

Anyway, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, and I didn't feel that hatred that many fans did, despite the obvious flaws it has. Although I must admit I never felt any hate to any anime, so whatever.
St0rmbladeMar 13, 2019 2:11 PM
Jan 28, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2019
What the hell with this character design?voice actores don't fit characters well.it would be better IF artland made it.anyway,i give it 4/10.
Apr 3, 2020 10:48 AM
Mar 2012
This movie added absolutely nothing of value to the lore of LoGH and its seems like a cheap knock off of the OVA
Jan 5, 2022 9:44 PM

Aug 2017
This movie was funny, I can't take it seriously for most of the time. WTF that antagonist.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 29, 2022 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
i understand what they wanted to do here. as stated in some sites the movie is more based on the manga than the light novel, resulting entirely different story than the OVA adaption to the light novel. the result is that the anime is having LOGTH only by name and characters names, but having no real connection the the other LOGTH franchise.
it was actually pretty entertaining movie, it wasn't bad, but it just seems that the manga's author had made the story style as star wars copy paste. i mean, iseerlohn looks more like death star than anything. the squadron of the alliance are doing pretty much what luke had done in the first star was movie lol. even the action reminds it lol. you can even see female in the alliance lol.

the only character design i like is annarose, the free style of her design is much more free and elegant than the OVA's "formal". they did ruined yang's characteristic badly , both in design and characters. and the rest is just awful lol.

on the end the movie really felt like star wars than any of LOGTH. in the main story there's much more than action and space opera lol, there's politic philosophy which even the other movies were able to catch. but here is just the caesarian's mafia lol. there wasn't any smart plots here. even in the main story reinhard's background story was more like side story, but here it made the whole movie lol.

in the end it wasn't waste of time, but newcomer should not watching this, and it's also not a movie fan should watch, so it really hard to put where to watch this. i watched it after ep54 end of s2, but if it weren't for the date it's not really smart to watch this chronologically as the movie hold it's own terms of story.
my conclusion may to watch this film in chronological way only on rewatch the entire series.

6/10
Aug 24, 2022 8:40 AM
Feb 2019
Glad I did not go too deep into the series before realizing that I discovered there is a backstory that could be checked out first. It did not dissapoint me, it does show a glimpse into the human nature.

I guess it is nice that I finally discovered this classic I did not know about. Looks promising...
Dec 20, 2022 3:03 AM

Oct 2010
Honestly?

After 61 eps of the original and all 4 seasons of Die Neue These, this shoujo-ish backstory is kind of soul-soothing.
Sep 23, 2023 4:49 PM

Aug 2019
Every part of me rejects this Yang imposter. Looks and sounds nothing like him. Also, if that blonde guy with the freckles was supposed to be Attenborough then I had no idea until after the movie and saw him in the cast of characters (I had assumed he was Jean Robert), but it was fun seeing Siegfried and Reinhard in their action hero phase. The way Reinhard took down Gregor had me laughing. I did not expect that.
Dec 6, 2023 3:21 PM
Aug 2022
So I finally got the chance to watch the infamous Golden Wings OVA, which has a reputation of arguably being the worst LotGH entry to date. My expectations were extremely low.

On the one hand, I will agree with a good deal of the critiques that fans have said over the years, such as the character designs, the one dimensional villains, the lack of battle tactics, the less refined story, Yang being a glorified cameo, etc.

Not to mention that the first 17 minutes of the OVA feels like a glorified recap of elements that is already present in the main series (or Die Neue These for that matter).

But what I did not expect that Golden Wings would arguably be the one LotGH title that really embraced the series' reputation of being the "Star Wars of anime" - specifically with its final 27 minutes being focusing on a Rebel fleet trying to blow up a Death Star 🙃 And there's a fist fight involving Reinhard and Kircheis in the bowels of the Death Star, complete with a reactor shaft. It was so odd seeing such overt Star Wars references that I had to really turn my brain off. But when I did, Golden Wings became pure junk food popcorn entertainment.

With such a Star Wars-esque finale, I will agree with one commenter who said that Golden Wings felt like it was targeted for a different audience. Because of that, in a strange way, I do somewhat recommend Golden Wings to general audiences as "turn your brain off" demo for the series. Its 1 hour runtime might also help in making it far less daunting as well to newcomers. In the end, Golden Wings was such a guilty pleasure that I had more fun watching it than any of the recent Disney Star Wars entries.
Alpha-NineDec 6, 2023 3:37 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.