Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Sep 16 - Sep 22

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 29, 2013 10:50 AM
Jul 2013
jmal said:
Xinception said:
Also, I read from some thread in this News Section, but I think someone mentioned that Japaneses (just kinda quoting/paraphrasing him/her, not trying to be racist. If I sound like one, I'm sorry!) tend to wait until all the volumes are released and go all shopping spree on them volumes.

No, there's no evidence of this in the sales data. Not as a significant phenomenon, anyway. You tend to see small bumps to previous volumes when later volumes come out, but the vast vast majority of sales come in the first 1-2 weeks, with most titles not even selling enough to rank after that (even with very low BD Top 100 thresholds these days).

Again, I'm not too sure about that either.

Hoping that SnK sales goes up again.
Sep 29, 2013 11:01 AM

Sep 2012
Xinception said:

Also, I read from some thread in this News Section, but I think someone mentioned that Japaneses (just kinda quoting/paraphrasing him/her, not trying to be racist. If I sound like one, I'm sorry!) tend to wait until all the volumes are released and go all shopping spree on them volumes.
Actually what I said is the opposite: That Japanese tend not to wait until tall volumes are released. From what I read in Japanese forums, most fans want to get their hands on the BD/DVD as soon as possible after it is released. You can have a look at what I wrote here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=667197&show=120#msg25367323

What I am interested is how the end of the broadcast of Shingeki may mean for the tail of Shingeki's BD/DVD sales. I can imagine some people may get excited about a series when a new episode is aired and proceeds to buy all the BD/DVDs that are already out. Such factor would disappear as the series ends.
symbvSep 29, 2013 11:05 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 29, 2013 11:09 AM
Jul 2013
symbv said:
Xinception said:

Actually what I said is the opposite: That Japanese tend not to wait until tall volumes are released. From what I read in Japanese forums, most fans want to get their hands on the BD/DVD as soon as possible after it is released. You can have a look at what I wrote here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=667197&show=120#msg25367323

What I am interested is how the end of the broadcast of Shingeki may mean for the tail of Shingeki's BD/DVD sales. I can imagine some people may get excited about a series when a new episode is aired and proceeds to buy all the BD/DVDs that are already out. Such factor would disappear as the series ends.

Oh, my bad then!

Well, BD/DVDs are usually released after a series ended its broadcast right (Usually them 1 cour series), so I still have hope. Besides, Volume 3 contains the so called "dragged-out" episodes, right? (I can't find a confirmation on this, if anyone has a fixed answer to this, please help me out!) And the later episodes are the pinnacle of this season. So I haven't lost my hope yet.
Sep 29, 2013 11:25 AM

Sep 2012
Xinception said:

Well, BD/DVDs are usually released after a series ended its broadcast right (Usually them 1 cour series), so I still have hope
Actually most BD/DVDs are released one or two months before the end of its broadcast. For example, this week most 1-cour anime of this season end but all these anime already have 1 or 2 volumes released (and the release date of the volumes are usually one month apart).

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 29, 2013 12:19 PM
Jul 2013
symbv said:
Xinception said:

Well, BD/DVDs are usually released after a series ended its broadcast right (Usually them 1 cour series), so I still have hope
Actually most BD/DVDs are released one or two months before the end of its broadcast. For example, this week most 1-cour anime of this season end but all these anime already have 1 or 2 volumes released (and the release date of the volumes are usually one month apart).

Learnt something new. Guess I should have checked out more than just this season's 1 -cour animes's BD/DVDs.

SnK, get back on top.
Sep 29, 2013 1:17 PM
Aug 2013
Xinception said:
I know, I just didn't expect Vol 3's sales to drop so soon, considering that SnK is a big hit. o-o

I'm hoping that the total sales will at least match the previous 2 volumes.

Guess the sales go down to pave way for other series?

SnK v3 is doing great on sales. This is extremely competitive week. v1 did 3149 and v2 did 3474 in second week for BD. In this week alone there are great chance that at least 15 BD releases will sell 3500 or more. The fact that v 3 showed already 3 times in list is great.

Also SnK v1 chart run is extremely unusual for anime. Most volumes rank for 4-5 weeks max and does more than 80% from total sales during first week. From this perspective faster drop for v3 is only normal and performance of Girls und Panzer, Love Live! and SnK first volumes are unusual. If you count only 2+ week sales for v1 then they are more than 20,000. For spring anime only UtaPri 2000% and OreImo total v1 sales are bigger than SnK v2 2+ week sales.
Sep 29, 2013 1:19 PM

Dec 2011
Most volumes rank for 1-2 weeks max.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 29, 2013 1:33 PM
Aug 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Most volumes rank for 1-2 weeks max.

Yes, that's true. I should have mentioned that i was talking about top sellers(10000+ sales) like Utapri, Oreimoto etc.
Sep 29, 2013 1:43 PM
Jul 2013
Ulrihs said:
Xinception said:
I know, I just didn't expect Vol 3's sales to drop so soon, considering that SnK is a big hit. o-o

I'm hoping that the total sales will at least match the previous 2 volumes.

Guess the sales go down to pave way for other series?

SnK v3 is doing great on sales. This is extremely competitive week. v1 did 3149 and v2 did 3474 in second week for BD. In this week alone there are great chance that at least 15 BD releases will sell 3500 or more. The fact that v 3 showed already 3 times in list is great.

Also SnK v1 chart run is extremely unusual for anime. Most volumes rank for 4-5 weeks max and does more than 80% from total sales during first week. From this perspective faster drop for v3 is only normal and performance of Girls und Panzer, Love Live! and SnK first volumes are unusual. If you count only 2+ week sales for v1 then they are more than 20,000. For spring anime only UtaPri 2000% and OreImo total v1 sales are bigger than SnK v2 2+ week sales.

Thanks for the more in-depth explanation!

Still have faith!
Sep 29, 2013 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
Xinception said:

That isn't a racist comment, its a cultural comment. I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago when someone asked why the Japanese don't drop the prices. The answer is pretty simple: the Japanese overall are a nation of early adopters. They like the "new thing". You see this in many aspects of their culture, including entertainment (this is why waiting in line to buy the latest eroge release is such a common theme in animation), so waiting to buy a thing because it has a lower price doesn't really appeal to the Japanese. If they want it, they want it now. If they don't want it now then they don't want it at all.

Because of this, Japanese business has adapted towards having an "always new release" mentality. Don't forget that there are around 20 new animation releases every season. Rare is the show that can attract attention with the flood of newness being released. This isn't just with animation mind you, all TV shows are the same way, most end after 13 or less episodes. Popular ones get a new season later. Very very few shows last longer, the exceptions are generally NHK shows which are scheduled for 6 - 12 months, and shows that achieve "tradition" status . And again, this isn't restricted to entertainment. Anyone who has spent any length of time in Japan notices this trait. If I had to pick three distinctive aspects of Japanese culture, this would be one of them.

As a side note, you were worried about making a comment about Japan (or any race) being racist. You were not. There is nothing wrong with stating a stereotype as long as you are non judgmental about it. Appreciating differences is like appreciating different spices, it makes life more enjoyable. One may be wrong about this difference, but as long as that person remains neutral, one would not be racist (or culturalist) no matter how wrong they were. The problem comes when one ascribes some value to their statement, then it is essential that that the statement be both correct, and their value judgment rational. You didn't state a value in your statement, so there was no problem, even though your statement was false (as others have pointed out). But kudos for at least asking the question, that is the true path to learning. So never fear to throw out a comment, its the fastest path to enlightenment.
Sep 30, 2013 2:39 AM
Jul 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Xinception said:

That isn't a racist comment, its a cultural comment. I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago when someone asked why the Japanese don't drop the prices. The answer is pretty simple: the Japanese overall are a nation of early adopters. They like the "new thing". You see this in many aspects of their culture, including entertainment (this is why waiting in line to buy the latest eroge release is such a common theme in animation), so waiting to buy a thing because it has a lower price doesn't really appeal to the Japanese. If they want it, they want it now. If they don't want it now then they don't want it at all.

Because of this, Japanese business has adapted towards having an "always new release" mentality. Don't forget that there are around 20 new animation releases every season. Rare is the show that can attract attention with the flood of newness being released. This isn't just with animation mind you, all TV shows are the same way, most end after 13 or less episodes. Popular ones get a new season later. Very very few shows last longer, the exceptions are generally NHK shows which are scheduled for 6 - 12 months, and shows that achieve "tradition" status . And again, this isn't restricted to entertainment. Anyone who has spent any length of time in Japan notices this trait. If I had to pick three distinctive aspects of Japanese culture, this would be one of them.

As a side note, you were worried about making a comment about Japan (or any race) being racist. You were not. There is nothing wrong with stating a stereotype as long as you are non judgmental about it. Appreciating differences is like appreciating different spices, it makes life more enjoyable. One may be wrong about this difference, but as long as that person remains neutral, one would not be racist (or culturalist) no matter how wrong they were. The problem comes when one ascribes some value to their statement, then it is essential that that the statement be both correct, and their value judgment rational. You didn't state a value in your statement, so there was no problem, even though your statement was false (as others have pointed out). But kudos for at least asking the question, that is the true path to learning. So never fear to throw out a comment, its the fastest path to enlightenment.

Oh, thanks for the clarification! I'm still young, so I guess I'm learning a lot of stuff right now.

Just hoping that next week (the week after this week), SnK Vol.3 gets on top or gets a higher rank again.
Sep 30, 2013 3:48 AM

Nov 2007
Oricon Daily All-Genre Top 30 DVD/Top 20 BD Rankings for Sep 23~29.

DVD
*23 *24 *25 *26 *27 *28 *29  週
*** **9 **4 *10 **9 **8 *18 | -- | UtaPri 2000% 4
*10 *** *** *** *** *19 *** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Regular Edition
*** *** *** **7 *14 *28 *** | -- | Hakuouki Sakura no Utage 2013
*** *** *** *** *** *29 *** | -- | Servant × Service 2
*** *24 *30 *** *27 *** *** | -- | Kimi no Iru Machi 1
*** *** *** *24 *28 *** *** | -- | Date a Live 4
*** *** *** **9 *29 *** *** | -- | JoJo 9
*** *** *** *25 *** *** *** | -- | DD Hokuto no Ken 4
*** *** *24 *** *** *** *** | -- | Magi 10
**8 *** *25 *** *** *** *** | -- | Shingeki 3
*** *** *27 *** *** *** *** | -- | Highschool D×D NEW 1
*** *28 *29 *** *** *** *** | -- | RailgunS 3
*17 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Limited Edition
*18 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Tonari no Totoro
*21 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | BROTHERS CONFLICT 2

BD
*23 *24 *25 *26 *27 *28 *29  週
*** **1 **1 **6 **2 **5 **4 | -- | Love Live! 7
*** *11 **2 **8 **8 **6 **5 | -- | UtaPri 2000% 4
*** **7 **6 *13 **9 *10 **6 | -- | RailgunS 3
*** *** *** **2 **4 **9 **8 | -- | JoJo 9
*** **9 **8 *11 *10 **7 *12 | -- | OreImo. 4
*** *** *** **7 **5 *12 *13 | -- | Date A Live 4
*** *** *** **5 **7 *11 *14 | -- | Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 1
*** *14 *10 *** *11 *13 *15 | -- | Highschool D×D NEW 1
**9 *** *** *** *** *** *16 | -- | Eva 3.33
**1 *** *14 *** *** *18 *17 | -- | Shingeki 3
*** *15 *19 *** *19 *17 *19 | -- | Hanagai NEXT 3
*** *17 *16 *** **6 *14 *** | -- | Kiniro Mosaic 1
*** *** *** *** *** *19 *** | -- | Valvrave 4
*** *10 *15 *20 *** *20 *** | -- | Gargantia BD-BOX 2
*** *** *** **9 *15 *** *** | -- | Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W 5
*** *** *** *** *17 *** *** | -- | Servant × Service 2
*** **5 **9 *17 *18 *** *** | -- | GaruPan ~Heartful Tank Disc~
*** **6 **7 *** *20 *** *** | -- | Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch 5.1ch BD-BOX
*** **8 *12 *** *** *** *** | -- | Gundam SEED DESTINY HD Remaster BD-BOX 2
*** *12 *13 *** *** *** *** | -- | OreGairu. 4
*** *** *17 *** *** *** *** | -- | Neptunia THE ANIMATION 1
*** *** *18 *** *** *** *** | -- | Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS 1
*** *** *20 *** *** *** *** | -- | Uchouten Kazoku 1
*** *16 *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Index II BD-BOX
**8 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Regular Edition
*10 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Love Lab 1
*11 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Free! 1
*13 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Limited Edition
*15 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Shingeki 2
*17 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Shingeki 1
*19 *** *** *** *** *** *** | -- | Majestic Prince 4
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Sep 30, 2013 4:12 AM

Sep 2012
Ejc said:
Oricon Daily All-Genre Top 30 DVD/Top 20 BD Rankings for Sep 23~29.

DVD
*29  週
*18 | -- | UtaPri 2000% 4
*** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Regular Edition
*** | -- | Hakuouki Sakura no Utage 2013
*** | -- | Servant × Service 2
*** | -- | Kimi no Iru Machi 1
*** | -- | Date a Live 4
*** | -- | JoJo 9
*** | -- | DD Hokuto no Ken 4
*** | -- | Magi 10
*** | -- | Shingeki 3
*** | -- | Highschool D×D NEW 1
*** | -- | RailgunS 3
*** | -- | DBZ Kami to Kami Limited Edition
*** | -- | Tonari no Totoro
*** | -- | BROTHERS CONFLICT 2
Holy !@#$! So much non-anime that only UtaPri ranks in the top 20 DVDs on the 29th???
Sep 30, 2013 10:17 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty hard to see how the BD ranking will eventually turn out except that Love Live should rank top and UtaPrince probably second. According to Amazon Stalker the ranking goes like this and clearly UtaPrince is going to be hugely underestimated:

26281 Love Live v7
24321 GirlPan -heartful tank disc-
14312 JoJo v9
14143 Code Geass BD Box
10983 RailgunS v3
*9119 OreImo2 v4
*7543 Gargantia v2
*6343 OreGairu v4
*5585 Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Box v2
*5400 Highschool DxD New v1
*4797 Haganai2 v3
*4748 Fate/kaleid Illya v1
*4692 KinMoza v1
*4661 UtaPrince2 v4
*4006 Date A Live v4
*3499 Valvrave v4
*3290 Mardock Scramble - Exhaustion
*3232 HenNeko v4 - deluxe edition
*2915 Yuyushiki v5
*2899 Uchouten Kazoku v1
*2839 Index II BD Box
*2824 Nyaruko-sanW v5
*2587 Neptunia v1
*2156 Rokyubu2 v1
*2107 Ser x Ser v2
*2015 Kimi no Iru Machi v1

Other v1 of this season
**911 Blood Lad v1
**642 Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou v1
**521 Kamisame no inai Nichyoubi v1

Sep 30, 2013 11:26 PM
Aug 2013
I think Love Live v7 should end with selling over 30000 copies.
I mean in Amazon yearly rankings for V7 are #32 what is more than #38 rank for v1 and v1 sold more than 33,5K to date.
Sep 30, 2013 11:47 PM
Dec 2010
Xinception said:
Although I think that Kill La Kill and Monogatari Series: 2nd Season will come close in term of popularity, since the former is the successor product of the guys who made Guren Lagenn and the latter is an excellent adaptation of a trending light novel series.)

Can't see Kill La Kill being that big of a success, it might have some hype in the Western countries but most Japanese were dumbfounded by the success of the LWA2 kickstarter and they don't feel about Studio Trigger the way many Western fans do. Kill La Kill also doesn't have the super robots and boobs that otakus of TTLG's time loved. The fact that it has an older school design and unusual animation only makes it harder for otakus to love it, just look at Blood Lad.
Sep 30, 2013 11:50 PM
Oct 2010
jmal said:
skudoops said:
Question.. are some anime more acceptable to the mainstream japanese than others?

Sure, but that's true of every form of entertainment. Some shows will get mainstream acceptance because they have the power of nostalgia (like Macross, Gundam, Yamato). But some of the most mainstream shows have very low sales - think most TV volumes of shounen action series like Naruto and One Piece.

It's... complicated. Sales and mainstream appeal definitely don't have a 1:1 ratio.

Ah ok I see.

scytheavatar said:
Xinception said:
Although I think that Kill La Kill and Monogatari Series: 2nd Season will come close in term of popularity, since the former is the successor product of the guys who made Guren Lagenn and the latter is an excellent adaptation of a trending light novel series.)

Can't see Kill La Kill being that big of a success, it might have some hype in the Western countries but most Japanese were dumbfounded by the success of the LWA2 kickstarter and they don't feel about Studio Trigger the way many Western fans do. Kill La Kill also doesn't have the super robots and boobs that otakus of TTLG's time loved. The fact that it has an older school design and unusual animation only makes it harder for otakus to love it, just look at Blood Lad.

I suppose that's why they made such an effort to promote it in Western territories, it's been pretty much everywhere on western animation websites, but I suppose that's more to do with us than them promoting, but I was surprised to see an english website go up before the show even aired. Although I would like to correct one thing you are saying, KLK does have the boobs lol, Rukio's outfit is just LAWL and clear otaku pandering but other than that it looks excellent.
Oct 1, 2013 1:13 AM

Sep 2012
For those who are impatient:

BD
*1 31470 Love Live v7
*6 14745 GirlPan fan disk
*7 12789 UtaPri2 v4
*8 12769 Railgun2 v3
*9 11751 JoJo v9
10 11519 OreImo2 v4
11 11256 Code Geass BD Box
13 9377 Gundam Seed Destiny BD box v2
14 8129 Gargantia v2
15 7023 HDxD2 v1
16 6420 OreGairu v4
18 5978 Illya v1
20 5645 KinMoza v1

DVD
8,992 UtaPri2 v4
2,624 KimiMachi v1
2,262 SnK v3
2,239 JoJo v9
2,161 Railgun2 v3
2,025 Magi v10
2,001 HDxD2 v1
1,973 Dragonball Z kami to kami
1,654 OreImo2 v4
1,516 Karneval v5
1,509 Amnesia v6
1,467 Dangan Ronpa v2
1,439 Ser x Ser v2
1,241 Date A Live v4
1,072 Haganai2 v3
1,033 Valvrave v4
1,023 OreGairu v4
905 The Unlimited v6
symbvOct 1, 2013 1:31 AM

Oct 1, 2013 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
Only 9k+ in total for DxD New. I'm expecting more but still quite happy with this.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 1, 2013 1:27 AM

Dec 2007
Damn, that BD threshold..I'm dreading the full list now..
Oct 1, 2013 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Only 9k+ in total for DxD New. I'm expecting more but still quite happy with this.

That's pretty good, right? Hopefully it's enough for a third season.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 1, 2013 1:44 AM

Nov 2007
geralt said:
NeoAnkara said:

That's pretty good, right? Hopefully it's enough for a third season.

Yes. It's almost exactly the same v1 BD+DVD 1st week sales as Season 1...

○ハイスクールD×D 【全6巻】
巻数   初動      累計    発売日
     BD(DVD)   BD(DVD)
01巻 6,780(2,341) 8,452(*,***) 12.03.21 ※合計 10,793枚
02巻 6,844(2,374) 7,646(*,***) 12.04.25 ※合計 10,020枚
03巻 6,549(2,225) 7,427(2,603) 12.05.23 ※合計 10,030枚
04巻 6,764(2,318) *,***(*,***) 12.06.27 ※合計 *9,082枚
05巻 6,532(2,193) 7,064(*,***) 12.07.25 ※合計 *9,257枚
06巻 6,614(2,241) 7,083(*,***) 12.08.29 ※合計 *9,324枚
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Oct 1, 2013 1:48 AM

Aug 2013
The BD/DVD for Uchouten Kazoku haven't been released yet? I'm dying to know how this fantastic series can do commercially
Oct 1, 2013 1:57 AM

Dec 2007
Amiluhur said:
The BD/DVD for Uchouten Kazoku haven't been released yet? I'm dying to know how this fantastic series can do commercially

It didn't rank in the preliminary list (considering its a heavy week), you have to wait until the full list is out on Thursday or Friday..
Oct 1, 2013 2:07 AM

Oct 2007
Dreadful threshold.
DAL v4 didn't even rank...
I'm so happy for Illya and KinMosa, they're already above 5k!
Love Live v7 - simply amazing.

NeoAnkara said:
Only? It sold almost as much as S1. That's a great result! Main difference being ~250 of its fans bought BD players since that time.
Oct 1, 2013 2:09 AM
Aug 2013
Impressive sales, can't be compared with previous week sales.
Although GirlPan fan disk didn't do as good as i thought.
Oct 1, 2013 2:22 AM

Dec 2012
Ulrihs said:
I think Love Live v7 should end with selling over 30000 copies.
I mean in Amazon yearly rankings for V7 are #32 what is more than #38 rank for v1 and v1 sold more than 33,5K to date.

You are right! Congratz. People will be surprise once last week's sales are posted.
Oct 1, 2013 2:28 AM

May 2012
For me, I'm happy for Girls und Panzer Fandisc did good sales. It's not what was predicted but it's not that bad for a fandisc.
Oct 1, 2013 2:38 AM

Sep 2012
Still working on CD singles/album figures but something else takes priority at the same time. The new thread will come perhaps 2 hours or so later...

Some of the titles that do not rank in BD list and need to wait until the complete list later this week

Magi v10,
Dangan Ronpa v2
Date A Live v4
Haganai2 v3
Valvrave v4
Neptunia v1
Genei wo kakeru Taiyou v1
Rokyubu2 v1
Uchoutan Kazoku v1
Blood Lad v1

Oct 1, 2013 2:52 AM

Mar 2012
Progeusz said:
NeoAnkara said:
Only? It sold almost as much as S1. That's a great result! Main difference being ~250 of its fans bought BD players since that time.
You know I got the impresion that it will reach 10k in first week.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 1, 2013 3:07 AM
Jul 2013
Awww... SnK vol 3 didn't chart/chart high on top 10 :c.

Hoping that it gets its momentum back.
Oct 1, 2013 3:35 AM
Aug 2013
Xinception said:

It did well for DVD. At least very little less than v1 in second week.

As for BD, it probably did somewhere in between 3000 and 3500 sales, if v3 is continuing v1 and v2 trend. Don't think anybody expected for it to rank today.
Also position are irrelevant when it comes to sales, it's not Olympics when positions determines who are the best. I'll better prefer than my favorite anime get #10 with 10K sales in busy week than #1 with 2K in dead week.
UlrihsOct 1, 2013 4:01 AM
Oct 1, 2013 3:58 AM

Dec 2011
Xinception said:

I think haganai and date a live are the surprises for not ranking, not SnK.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 3, 2013 1:02 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
symbv said:
The really worrying thing is a lot of the staff who helped created Panty & Stocking, which is wacky but yet became a cult favorite to some fans because of its irreverent humor and crazy action, have since left Gainax in the following years. So Gainax is acutely short of experienced hands.
As far as I know there's basically nobody left from the TTGL days. They're all at Trigger and Khara. "Gainax" used to mean something, not so much anymore.
Just one thing to add for our discussion about Gainax. I was reading an interview with Ootsuka Masahiko, who quit Gainax to start the studio Trigger (which makes the anime "Kill la Kill", which in turn is why he got interviewed) and they talked about why he quit Gainax. And this what he said:

ガイナックスではわりと好き勝手に作らせてもらって縛りもなかったんですが、逆にかせがなくて、言ってしまえば「パンティ&ストッキングwithガーターベルト」(以下、パンスト)のような普通は通らないはずの企画が通っちゃうんです。そうなると贅沢な話ですけど「こんな好きにやってて大丈夫なのか?」と逆に不安になってきたんです。

Translation:

I could do whatever I wanted in Gainax without much restraint but looked at it in another way a project like "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt" which is not going to make money and normally would not be accepted still got passed. While this feels great, you also got insecure as you thought "is it really going to be alright if we keep doing as we please?"

So there you have it. When fans think of Gainax as the "whackiest" studio that does what it pleases, that impression is not groundless. In fact even veteran staff in it thought the same way, and this is precisely because of that that so many of them chose to leave instead of staying, even though the freedom from restraint should mean they can let their creativity go unbound and do whatever they want to make "worthy" anime and challenge the audience.
symbvOct 3, 2013 1:06 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - 43 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
43 minutes ago

» 'Yuru Camp△' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - 8 hours ago

7 by Gear707 »»
1 hour ago

» Novel 'Ganbatte Ikimasshoi' Gets Anime Movie

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

5 by kihel »»
1 hour ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
Today, 5:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.