Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2013 1:09 PM

Sep 2013
Hi, I'm new (so I apologise if there's been a similar post before) and I'm only just getting into anime. So far I've only watched shows on the web through streaming sites, youtube and other *cough cough* websites, but I'm interested in building a collection for my home.

Anyway, I have my sights set on 'Cowboy Bebop' (a classic) and 'Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood' (a modern classic), both of which in the UK have Complete Box Sets on DVD and two-volume Blu-Ray sets. I'm not sure what to go with. The DVD would be easier for me to get financially but I don't want to feel I'm missing out on what you with the Blu-Ray.

What do you think? Do you go DVD or Blu-Ray or do you not mind either way?
Sep 22, 2013 1:11 PM

Jul 2008
I always feel bad buying DVDs these days knowing that Blurays, with superior quality, are out there.

If I were you I'd try to get Blurays. DVDs will be obsolete in the future and then you'll already have your Blurays.
Sep 22, 2013 1:12 PM

Feb 2010
All the anime I buy I don't really care what medium they are on, some I can't even play in my region. I just buy them for collection purposes, if I want to rewatch a series I'll still do it in my computer without the dvds probably.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 22, 2013 1:17 PM

Aug 2012
Get whatever is feasible. Somehow I doubt the quality of Cowboy Bebop is worth the Blu-Ray disc since it was made in the 90s, but who knows?
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 22, 2013 1:22 PM
Sep 2013
Good question OP I was wondering the same thing
Sep 22, 2013 3:01 PM

Sep 2013
If it's HD I would get the Blu-ray. If you like collector/limited editions then you'll have to get the Blu-ray anyway (unless it's an older release). Also, FUNimation tends to release Blu-ray/DVD combos so in that case you wouldn't have to choose (I haven't really seen other companies doing this though).
There's no need for all this tension.
Sep 22, 2013 3:11 PM

Sep 2011
Buy Bluray so you know you got your moneys worth.

If Bluray isn't available, then DVD.
Sep 22, 2013 3:30 PM

May 2012
Blu Ray every time.
Sep 22, 2013 5:41 PM

May 2011
Blu Ray is the best quality to watch an anime
Sep 22, 2013 5:51 PM

Jul 2012
I prefer to watch bluray. They look very good and a whole lot better than DVDs sometimes.
Sep 22, 2013 6:19 PM

Nov 2012
IMO, it just comes down to how large of a screen you are using.
If you have a small TV, you wont see many of the benefits associated with high definition.
For a while, I was using an absolutely tiny television and the difference between BD and DVD was minimal. However, whenever I upgraded to a larger television set, the difference in picture became immediately noticeable (BD provides a much sharper and more crisp picture).
Sep 22, 2013 8:04 PM

Dec 2012
I prefer DVD or Combo packs, because DVDs will work on my laptop so I can take them and play them anywhere whereas I can only watch BDs at home on the one player in my room. Plus they're also usually cheaper. I really only buy Blu-rays by themselves if I don't have another choice, or the price is reasonable. Another advantage is when watching a television show or movie I can stop it and power down and go to sleep for the night and my player will remember where I was in the show when I turn it back on. It does not do that for BDs despite being a Blu-ray player.

Either way the only advantage to me buying BD is the better sound, because I don't see the visual difference with my vision being not so great. I have purchased several though such as Bakemonogatari, Nisenomogatari, Fate/Zero, Garden of Sinners, Time of Eve OVA, The Lyrical Nanoha Films, and the Library War movie.
KruszerSep 22, 2013 8:24 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 22, 2013 8:12 PM

Jul 2013
When I decide that a series is worth buying, I go Blu Ray whenever possible. Anything else simply won't do justice.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 22, 2013 8:31 PM

Oct 2012
Bluray master race 4life.

Sep 22, 2013 8:32 PM

Jun 2011
Bluray all the way..
Sep 22, 2013 8:35 PM

Sep 2011
I usually get DVDs or DVD/Blu-ray combo packs because I watch everything on my laptop. Plus I don't care much about the quality as long as I can see it. There are a few instances where I prefer Blu-ray though, like with Redline.
Sep 22, 2013 8:35 PM

Sep 2013
In some cases Blu-ray isn't that much more expensive than the DVD version, for example FMA Brotherhood was about the same price in Blu-ray and DVD so I bought the Blu-ray. Older series will be just fine on DVD imo. I usually get newer series on Blu-ray but either way there will always be some new format.
Sep 22, 2013 9:09 PM

Jun 2007
If it comes down to choosing one or the other to get on Blu-Ray, get Cowboy Bebop. Since Bebop was produced on film, the Blu-Rays are more likely to be "True HD." FMA:B, otoh, like many other BONES titles was produced digitally at 540p. So the Blu-Rays are to some degree upscales. Note that many of the Blu-Ray ripping groups only released 720p for it, not 1080p.

HalfMetalJacket said:
When I decide that a series is worth buying, I go Blu Ray whenever possible. Anything else simply won't do justice.
Yes, nothing does a series "justice" like a slapdash Q-TEC overfiltered upscaled Blu-Ray release that's noisefiltered to the point where the DVDs are more detailed. Of course, not all Blu-Rays are like that, but "worse than DVD" Blu-Rays are a risk for series made from roughly 1999-2007. (Almost every show in that era was created digitally in SD resolutions, and are thus "locked" in SD unless the studio digitally upscales the footage. Older shows on film can be rescanned at higher resolutions to create new HD transfers.)

For series outside that age range (older or newer), Blu-Ray will be worthwhile most of the time. Though depending on your equipment, screen size, and viewing distance, the full benefits of Blu-Ray might not be apparent.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/
Sep 22, 2013 9:12 PM

Feb 2013
What you get with anime DVDs:
* Telecine mixed with progressive (alternating framerate needlessly)
* Bad edits (missing fields, interlaced scrolling credits, etc)
* MPEG2 compression artifacts (some are less bad than others)
* Color banding (some are really bad)
* Poorly themed subtitles (prepare for yellow text)

Avoid DVDs if possible. They're a pain to "fix".

I can't speak to BluRay. I haven't been able to find something I want at a decent price. I am assuming they are are least 100% progressive (none of this telecine BS like on DVDs). The subtitles on both are "bare minimum" (they can't compete with fansubs).
Sep 22, 2013 9:13 PM

Feb 2013
Honestly, it would all depend on when the anime was first animated, because like with most, unless there is CGI in it, I don't really think that you are gonna get much better quality even if it is on bluray. Especially without a HDTV. I would just stick with DVD's since it's easier to collect that way. All my anime is on my harddrive since it's not easily accessible around here and I can get it off the internet alot easier. I spend most my time watching anime on my computer anyways.
Sep 22, 2013 9:15 PM
Aug 2013
dvd>blu ray anyday
Sep 22, 2013 9:19 PM

Jun 2010
mine has to be bluray since DVD is meh to me now cuz soon enough dvds will end up like VHS is now
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Sep 22, 2013 9:25 PM

Jun 2010
mine has to be bluray since DVD is meh to me now cuz soon enough dvds will end up like VHS is now
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Sep 22, 2013 10:20 PM

Sep 2013
Trebel said:
Honestly, it would all depend on when the anime was first animated, because like with most, unless there is CGI in it, I don't really think that you are gonna get much better quality even if it is on bluray. Especially without a HDTV. I would just stick with DVD's since it's easier to collect that way. All my anime is on my harddrive since it's not easily accessible around here and I can get it off the internet alot easier. I spend most my time watching anime on my computer anyways.

Yea it's a lot easier to just pirate anime just about anywhere in the world scumbag!

Go pay the people making the shows for you to watch some respect instead of just fakkn them in the a$$ like that, seriously. Piracy scum!
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 22, 2013 10:27 PM
Oct 2012
It all depends on the way it was colored digitally, or traditionally. With traditional colring, it looks way better on Blu-Ray, if it is availible, that is the best way to watch it. With digital coloring, unless its well animated, which is uncommon for anime,you might as well stick with the DVD, because upscaling a digital file doesn't look that great. A film transfer however is incredible in general, and because of that old movies/anime look even better than the newer stuff on Blu-Ray.
Sep 23, 2013 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Thanks for all your responses.

I think I'm going to go with Blu-Ray for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
With Cowboy Bebop I think I'll go with the DVD. It's getting a nice re-release here in the UK through 'Anime Ltd.' and while the Blu-Rays seem appealing the only real difference is the DVD comes without a booklet. The DVD set (which is Complete) claims to be "remastered from the same masters as the high-definition Blu-Ray".
Sep 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Jan 2012
I would go with blu-ray because better visually and only costs 10-50 dollars more and cowboy bebop is pretty cheap at the moment
Sep 23, 2013 1:58 PM

Sep 2013
I have been getting Blurays
So yes Blurays are better quality.

Anime nowadays isnt even that expensive, I remember in the 90s it used to be extremely expensive... not anymore... if u buy on Amazon.

Only problem is....
There are some anime I want to buy and its not on Bluray...
Sep 24, 2013 2:58 AM

Jun 2007
BurnJelly said:
All very good and true technical points. Blu-Ray is indeed recommendable on those grounds, though again I recommend that people look research the upscale work for those ~1999-2007 SD digital anime, and take things on a case by case basis. Sometimes a well-encoded DVD is the best choice for a series if the companies seriously screw up the Blu-Ray authoring.

"Poorly-themed"? What? Blu-Rays aren't going to give you off-white Dom Casual with borders and dropshadows color-coded to match characters' hair, either. Many Blu-Rays use yellow as well, a color that only seems to be "bad" when official subs use it. Just like how white with black borders is fine in fansubs, but "boring" or "ugly" when official subs use it. Isn't that convenient for those who happen to dislike official subs and want to justify not buying official releases...?

2-D said:
DVDs will be obsolete in the future and then you'll already have your Blurays.
lust4anime said:
Can either of you point to any Blu-Ray players that don't have backwards compatibility with DVDs? This isn't like 1997 when big rectangular VHS tapes wouldn't fit in small circular DVD trays.

gamer2710 said:
Somehow I doubt the quality of Cowboy Bebop is worth the Blu-Ray disc since it was made in the 90s, but who knows?
Again, being made in the 90s or before makes a given anime MORE likely to be worth Blu-Ray. See my previous post, as well as:

magmalord said:
It all depends on the way it was colored digitally, or traditionally. With traditional coloring, it looks way better on Blu-Ray, if it is available, that is the best way to watch it. With digital coloring, unless its well animated, which is uncommon for anime,you might as well stick with the DVD, because upscaling a digital file doesn't look that great. A film transfer however is incredible in general, and because of that old movies/anime look even better than the newer stuff on Blu-Ray.
It does seem like more and more TV anime these days are being animated at HD resolutions, though still not quite FullHD/1080p. So Blu-Ray can be worthwhile for more recent anime from the late 00s and beyond. A caveat though: Blu-Rays of older/pre-1999 anime aren't guaranteed to be film transfers. Sometimes they will do digital upscales for those for some unknown reason (e.g. 3x3 Eyes, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Big O S1), so it'll still come down to hoping they didn't screw up the upscale too badly.

Though I am a bit disappoint that OP is choosing to go with DVD on a presumably 1080p film transfer, and Blu-Ray on a digital upscale from 540p.
Sep 24, 2013 5:12 PM

Sep 2013
Zalis said:
BurnJelly said:
All very good and true technical points. Blu-Ray is indeed recommendable on those grounds, though again I recommend that people look research the upscale work for those ~1999-2007 SD digital anime, and take things on a case by case basis. Sometimes a well-encoded DVD is the best choice for a series if the companies seriously screw up the Blu-Ray authoring.

"Poorly-themed"? What? Blu-Rays aren't going to give you off-white Dom Casual with borders and dropshadows color-coded to match characters' hair, either. Many Blu-Rays use yellow as well, a color that only seems to be "bad" when official subs use it. Just like how white with black borders is fine in fansubs, but "boring" or "ugly" when official subs use it. Isn't that convenient for those who happen to dislike official subs and want to justify not buying official releases...?

2-D said:
DVDs will be obsolete in the future and then you'll already have your Blurays.
lust4anime said:
Can either of you point to any Blu-Ray players that don't have backwards compatibility with DVDs? This isn't like 1997 when big rectangular VHS tapes wouldn't fit in small circular DVD trays.

gamer2710 said:
Somehow I doubt the quality of Cowboy Bebop is worth the Blu-Ray disc since it was made in the 90s, but who knows?
Again, being made in the 90s or before makes a given anime MORE likely to be worth Blu-Ray. See my previous post, as well as:

magmalord said:
It all depends on the way it was colored digitally, or traditionally. With traditional coloring, it looks way better on Blu-Ray, if it is available, that is the best way to watch it. With digital coloring, unless its well animated, which is uncommon for anime,you might as well stick with the DVD, because upscaling a digital file doesn't look that great. A film transfer however is incredible in general, and because of that old movies/anime look even better than the newer stuff on Blu-Ray.
It does seem like more and more TV anime these days are being animated at HD resolutions, though still not quite FullHD/1080p. So Blu-Ray can be worthwhile for more recent anime from the late 00s and beyond. A caveat though: Blu-Rays of older/pre-1999 anime aren't guaranteed to be film transfers. Sometimes they will do digital upscales for those for some unknown reason (e.g. 3x3 Eyes, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Big O S1), so it'll still come down to hoping they didn't screw up the upscale too badly.

Though I am a bit disappoint that OP is choosing to go with DVD on a presumably 1080p film transfer, and Blu-Ray on a digital upscale from 540p.

You obviously know your stuff, thanks for your in-depth reply.
On Cowboy Bebop, I'm getting it on DVD from a financial standpoint. Compared to FMA which is a longer series, Bebop has 26 episodes that are split for the Blu-ray but with the complete DVD I'd be paying for all the episodes the price I'd pay for half on Blu-ray. This is a new release so I'd expect DVD would be quality (if not the quality of Blu-ray). I'll have to check the specs when itz released but I think I'm fairly sure I made up my mind.
Sep 24, 2013 8:48 PM

Dec 2012
DVD due to me not owning any form of Bluray player and preferring the cheaper method since I do not have a modern TV or a large TV
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 24, 2013 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
I'll buy both if the Cover art for the cases is different. Otherwise I might as well go with Blu-Ray unless there is an art box.
Sep 25, 2013 1:19 AM

Mar 2012
Blu-Ray Quality is a huge upgrade from DVD. Everything from the picture to sound quality.
Sep 25, 2013 2:15 AM

Oct 2012
thomasadamu said:
With Cowboy Bebop I think I'll go with the DVD. It's getting a nice re-release here in the UK through 'Anime Ltd.' and while the Blu-Rays seem appealing the only real difference is the DVD comes without a booklet.
No, my man, the only "real" difference is one is high definition and one is not.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2009906&postcount=38
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 25, 2013 3:40 AM

Sep 2013
elite-sama said:
thomasadamu said:
With Cowboy Bebop I think I'll go with the DVD. It's getting a nice re-release here in the UK through 'Anime Ltd.' and while the Blu-Rays seem appealing the only real difference is the DVD comes without a booklet.
No, my man, the only "real" difference is one is high definition and one is not.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2009906&postcount=38

Haha, you got me there.

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 14 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

79 by ame »»
5 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
24 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.