Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2013 7:10 AM

Jul 2012
does it ever bother you guys when character strengths start going crazy?

e.g. at the start of naruto, kakashi beats zabuza by catching him with ninja dogs, by the end... i can't even describe the crazy shit that's happening. mountains are blowing up from single attacks and people are dying left right and center from this two crazy ninja
by now in one piece, luffy can immobilize 10,000 people simply with his aura
i mean, i know it's fictional but it's still gotta be somewhat believable right?

i think what bothers me is that at the start of something like naruto, i could guess and predict logically the outcome of battles, e.g. lee should be able to beat sasuke cause he's much faster. but now, i have no idea what might happen and everything feels like deus ex machina, like i'm at the mercy of the author and he can just make whatever happen.
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Sep 20, 2013 7:15 AM

Nov 2011
Bellcross punches the ground and everything on a planet dies...
The Art of Eight
Sep 20, 2013 8:13 AM

Nov 2012
Is that not what Shonen series are all about? Its a genre, don't watch it if you dislike it.
Sep 20, 2013 8:16 AM

Aug 2013
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
Is that not what Shonen series are all about? Its a genre, don't watch it if you dislike it.

That.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 20, 2013 8:28 AM

Jan 2011
doesnt bother me, my fav shonen manga had universal recreations, faster than light attacks, God forms an other crazy shit
Sep 20, 2013 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Natsu can survive infinite damage just by spouting some bullshit about his guild and friends.

This

Sep 20, 2013 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
Toriko, my lord, have you seen the powers in there ?

Sep 20, 2013 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
Naruto now is definitely out of control. Naurto now is actually almost around the same level as Dragon Ball's King Piccolo saga. Teen Goku from King Piccolo saga vs current manga Naruto in full Bijuu mode would be an interesting fight.
Sep 20, 2013 8:45 AM

Feb 2013
Forgetfulness said:
Natsu can survive infinite damage just by spouting some bullshit about his guild and friends.
lol I dropped it so I dont think I have got that far
that would annoy the hell out of me...

DrGeroCreation said:
Naruto now is definitely out of control. Naurto now is actually almost around the same level as Dragon Ball's King Piccolo saga. Teen Goku from King Piccolo saga vs current manga Naruto in full Bijuu mode would be an interesting fight.
it annoys me that he is still stupid and naive and the only reason why hes still alive is because hes stronger than most
all because of the Bijuu.

9tailjeza said:
does it ever bother you guys when character strengths start going crazy?

e.g. at the start of naruto, kakashi beats zabuza by catching him with ninja dogs, by the end... i can't even describe the crazy shit that's happening. mountains are blowing up from single attacks and people are dying left right and center from this two crazy ninja
i mean, i know it's fictional but it's still gotta be somewhat believable right?

i think what bothers me is that at the start of something like naruto, i could guess and predict logically the outcome of battles, e.g. lee should be able to beat sasuke cause he's much faster. but now, i have no idea what might happen and everything feels like deus ex machina, like i'm at the mercy of the author and he can just make whatever happen.
yes I agree with you

they may even go over the top and Make OP character as strong as DBZ or saint seiya characters
jnw93Sep 20, 2013 8:51 AM
Sep 20, 2013 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
I've simply matured enough to where that kind of entertainment doesn't appeal to me.

When I see people argue about DBZ and how super uber strong mega awesome universe destroying powerful master beast fighter the characters are, and how "character x is stronger, because he did this this and this to this galaxy, and destroyed this planet with a single punch! and can do this to a universe, and bla bla bla infinite ridiculous power", I can't help but think about two five year old boys in a sand box playfully arguing "my dad is stronger! He can life... 100 pounds!" "oh yea? Well my dad is stronger! he can lift a whole building!" "Oh yea, well my dad can lift the whole world!"

Until it keeps escalating and escalating, until the boys find some other thing to occupy themselves with.

Boys will be boys I guess, and I also guess that's why these absurd power abilities are found in shounen shows.
Red_KeysSep 20, 2013 9:24 AM
Sep 20, 2013 9:22 AM

Mar 2011
I don't mind absurd power levels so much as absurd power ups, like those in Bleach. Those are just deus ex machinas and it annoys me a great deal.
Sep 20, 2013 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
I've simply matured enough to where that kind of entertainment doesn't appeal to me.

When I see people argue about DBZ and how super uber strong mega awesome universe destroying powerful master beast fighter the characters are, and how "character x is stronger, because he did this this and this to this galaxy, and destroyed this planet with a single punch! and can do this to a universe, and bla bla bla infinite ridiculous power", I can't help but think about two five year old boys in a sand box playfully arguing "my dad is stronger! He can life... 100 pounds!" "oh yea? Well my dad is stronger! he can lift a whole building!" "Oh yea, well my dad can lift the whole world!"

Until it keeps escalating and escalating, until the boys find some other thing to occupy themselves with.

Boys will be boys I guess, and I also guess that's why these absurd power abilities are found in shounen shows.

and you know what else!? My dad can totally kick your dad's ass! :<
The Art of Eight
Sep 20, 2013 9:25 AM

Mar 2011
dankickyou said:
Red_Keys said:

and you know what else!? My dad can totally kick your dad's ass! :<

Dankickyou.... Dan can kick your ass.
Sep 20, 2013 9:27 AM

Oct 2010
Red_Keys said:

You have matured enough to grow immature, then. A discussion on which character is stronger can be as appealing and interesting as any other if it's brought with the right mood.

Oh, and on topic. I only watch One Piece, and so far they are keeping it earthly. Maybe in ten years some character might be able to crush one universe or two.
Sep 20, 2013 9:28 AM

Dec 2012
Tomoki_Sakurai said:

For the umpth time, shounen is not a genre.
Sep 20, 2013 9:39 AM

Feb 2013
Red_Keys said:

My lift dad can lift 200 Quintillion tons
just putting it out there
Sep 20, 2013 9:43 AM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:

The funniest is when there are guys that bring in physics and mathematics to explain why one character is stronger than the other. Not liking DBZ or other shonen anime has nothing to do with maturity. I find it funny how you DBZ haters and other mainstream shonen anime haters are quick to look down on mainstream battle shonen anime and believe you are too mature for it yet say nothing about your precious underage looking moe girls high school anime.
Sep 20, 2013 9:45 AM

Nov 2011
jnw93 said:
Red_Keys said:

Your dad is All-Star Superman!? D:
The Art of Eight
Sep 20, 2013 11:01 AM

Feb 2013
dankickyou said:
jnw93 said:
Red_Keys said:

No
My dad beat him up to
Sep 20, 2013 11:10 AM

Sep 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:

The funniest is when there are guys that bring in physics and mathematics to explain why one character is stronger than the other. Not liking DBZ or other shonen anime has nothing to do with maturity. I find it funny how you DBZ haters and other mainstream shonen anime haters are quick to look down on mainstream battle shonen anime and believe you are too mature for it yet say nothing about your precious underage looking moe girls high school anime.
lol

Who said anything about moe? I sure didn't. Who said I even liked moe? Who said anything about hating DBZ? Disinterest ≠ hate. And when I say "maturity", I mean in a biological way. As in, I no longer fit the demographic (children).

Although, yes, "my character is better than your character, nyah!" is in my opinion pretty a immature thing to seriously debate. Especially when the authors of these characters can add any sort of ability of any proportion and any astronomical power on a whim, because they're fictional characters, with contrived traits and powers.
Red_KeysSep 20, 2013 11:20 AM
Sep 20, 2013 11:25 AM

Dec 2012
FrostedSilver964 said:
Yep I hate that too. I hated it the most in Fairy Tail because I'd begun to think that it would be different from all the others but I was not only wrong, but this anime had the worst one yet!

That fight didn't make any sense even by fairy tail standards, it was entertaining but it was really stupid, it can be considered a plot hole. Natsu is a really terrible character, he is likable though.
Sep 20, 2013 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
9tailjeza said:
I don't think you're paying attention to the show. The power level hasn't really changed much the whole anime, that's not the way Oda set it up. Each enemy doesn't necessarily get stronger as they go and Luffy doesn't beat them by getting a new stronger attack each time or going through training. Luffy knocking someone out with Haki is based on his will, not his strength. The actual power level in the show hasn't really changed, (correction Luffy knocked out 50,000/100,000) Oda has even said that Shanks would be able to knock out all 100,000 and he showed his haki way earlier.

Red_Keys said:
And when I say "maturity", I mean in a biological way. As in, I no longer fit the demographic (children).
Teenagers and I'm sure you watch plenty of anime out of your demographic. Your favorite anime Death Note is even a shounen, looks like Shiki is too.
IntroverturtledSep 20, 2013 11:31 AM
This "new era" they talk about is a load of shit. The age where pirates dream is over!? THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?! — Marshall D. Teach
Sep 20, 2013 11:37 AM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:

lol

Who said anything about moe? I sure didn't. Who said I even liked moe? Who said anything about hating DBZ? Disinterest ≠ hate. And when I say "maturity", I mean in a biological way. As in, I no longer fit the demographic (children).

Although, yes, "my character is better than your character, nyah!" is in my opinion pretty a immature thing to seriously debate. Especially when the authors of these characters can add any sort of ability of any proportion and any astronomical power on a whim, because they're fictional characters, with contrived traits and powers.
I said there are guys that bring in Physics and Mathematics not me. I have seen guys in vs forums calculating the distance from Earth to the Moon to prove their points and comparing the amount in tons a character can lift to make their points. I only brought up Moe because you have Clannad After Story as one of your favorites. DBZ has been over since the 90's and with the exception of GT which is non canon the characters have been stagnant only in Battle of the Gods has Goku gotten a power boost . Akira Toriyama doesn't plan to just alter characters powers and abilities heck he doesn't even plan to continue DBZ . DBZ's main demographic is teens just like your Clannad After Story.
DrGeroCreationSep 20, 2013 12:23 PM
Sep 20, 2013 12:20 PM

Jun 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:

lol

I said there are guys that bring in Physics and Mathematics not me. I have seen guys in vs forums calculating the distance from Earth to the Moon to prove their points and comparing the amount in tons a character can lift to make their points. I only brought up Moe because you have Clannad After Story as one of your favorites. DBZ has been over since the 90's and with the exception of GT which is non canon the characters have been stagnant only in Battle of the Gods has Goku gotten a power boost . Akira Toriyama doesn't plan to just alter characters powers and abilities heck he doesn't even plan to continue DBZ . DBZ's main demographic is children and teens just like your Clannad After Story.
Clannad After Story isn't about moe,but its drama i think that's why red_keys has it under hes favorites and if i were to watch clannad when i watched DBZ i wouldn't find it interesting.Btw you are touring in to the hater you hate.
Sep 20, 2013 12:30 PM

Aug 2013
Symqn said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Red_Keys said:

lol

I said there are guys that bring in Physics and Mathematics not me. I have seen guys in vs forums calculating the distance from Earth to the Moon to prove their points and comparing the amount in tons a character can lift to make their points. I only brought up Moe because you have Clannad After Story as one of your favorites. DBZ has been over since the 90's and with the exception of GT which is non canon the characters have been stagnant only in Battle of the Gods has Goku gotten a power boost . Akira Toriyama doesn't plan to just alter characters powers and abilities heck he doesn't even plan to continue DBZ . DBZ's main demographic is children and teens just like your Clannad After Story.
Clannad After Story isn't about moe,but its drama i think that's why red_keys has it under hes favorites and if i were to watch clannad when i watched DBZ i wouldn't find it interesting.Btw you are touring in to the hater you hate.
What do you mean by "you are touring in to the hater you hate'". I'm not hating on anyone. Also being a drama doesn't change Clannad's targeted demographic.
Sep 20, 2013 12:32 PM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:

What you said here is completely stupid. An author can also add any personality traits to a character he wants, so I guess it's stupid to talk about that. Hell, following your logic, talking about anime or any fiction work would be completely useless.

Also, I'm quite surprised to hear those kind of criticism from a Death Note fan, when DN follows the same logic as many battle shonens, you just replace the absurd power levels by the ridiculously contrived plans.
Sep 20, 2013 1:04 PM

Jun 2013
Forgetfulness said:

+1
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Sep 20, 2013 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
DBZ power levels are a joke, they dont make much sense after the cell saga imo and they gain ridiculously powerful ability. Like having the ability to make an orb the size of a coconut that could blow up half the universe...
Sep 20, 2013 1:51 PM

Jun 2013
jnw93 said:
dankickyou said:
jnw93 said:
Red_Keys said:

No
My dad beat him up to

Yeah well...actually I've never met my dad so I don't know how strong he is...

More topics from this board

» Is the Waifu Culture dead nowadays?

Dragevard - 28 minutes ago

2 by DinoNo1 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

66 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

56 by NightVampire »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

60 by FanofAction »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 9 hours ago

19 by SgtBateMan »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.