Forum Settings
Forums

'Comic Natalie Daishou 2013' Award List Announced

New
Sep 18, 2013 6:58 AM

Sep 2012
Natalie, a major manga news website, has announced its 2013 "Comic Natalie Daishou" award list. The awards are based on polling from professional manga editors for what they consider works they read this year that are particularly stimulating. Manga that was published between July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013 was eligible and each editor could vote for up to ten titles. Each vote was assigned equal weight in counting and the list was compiled by ranking titles in descending order of votes.

There are 100 titles in the award list and the following are the top 28 titles:

1. Sakamoto desu ga?
2. Shingeki no Kyojin
3. Ajin
4. Kakukaku Shikajika
5. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
6. Gin no Saji
7. Nanatsu no Taizai
8. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
9. Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu.
10. High Score Girl
11. Ballroom e Youkoso
12. Kuu Neru Futari Sumu Futari
13. Aku no Hana
14. Innocent
15. Kuku no Honkai
16. Hikidashi ni Terrarium
17. Bokura no 17-On!
18. One Punch-Man
19. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
20. Shiki no Zenjitsu
21. Kingdom
22. Genshiken
23. Sayonara, Sorcier
24. Umimachi Diary
25. Sanzoku Diary
26. Tokyo Shinjuu
27. Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki
28. Bungou Stray Dogs

The rest of the awarded titles can be found on the award web page: http://comic-award.natalie.mu/2013/

Last year's result: http://comic-award.natalie.mu/2013/archive/

Source: Natalie
myanimelistllcMar 5, 2016 5:49 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2013 7:06 AM

Jan 2013
I'd vote for gin no saji but the fanboys will probably go with aot anyway
Sep 18, 2013 7:08 AM

Feb 2010
Well, not surprised to see some familiar titles on there like Shingeki, Gin no Saji, Aku no Hana, Kingdom and AssClass. I really hope Sakamoto desuga? gets an adaption at some point, it seems like the kind of comedy I'd love.

Ajin also has me intrigued, never heard of it before but it sounds pretty awesome. Ballroom e Youkoso also picked my interest, I'm always loving these niche 'sport' anime.
Thirdly I'd love to see Kuu Neru Futari Sumu Futari getting an adaption, the setting reminds me like a less melodramatic version of Clannad AS.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 18, 2013 7:09 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
These are all VERY STRONG series. Lots of seinen stuffs.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 18, 2013 7:15 AM

May 2011
This is pretty cool. There are some pretty interesting tittles in that list. Specially Sakamoto desuga?, this one caught my attention the most.
Sep 18, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2008
I feel like i really really need to read the manga on first place.
Just the fact that it's above shingeki no kyojin must mean it's good.
Sep 18, 2013 7:18 AM

Dec 2007
Yay for Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Sep 18, 2013 7:19 AM

Jan 2011

I love these! Congratulations to the authors! I hope this encourages TV amine adaptations of Assination Classroom and One punch man
[center]
Sep 18, 2013 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
some manga on the list are completely unheard of, such as Ajin and Kakukaku, and have never seen them even once on the scanlation manga sites i usually visit. oh well, i hope it's just the case of my own ignorance and not because they're still left unscanlated.
Sep 18, 2013 7:25 AM

Sep 2012
I like the list for its wide range of coverage. Seinen of course is often praised for being to probe deeper and thus get more thought provoking, but you also see shoujo, shounen and lady (which can be as thought provoking as seinen but often neglected) titles as well. This list represents the cream of the manga industry has to offer and obviously the manga editors, having read so many manga including many which never make it to serialization, all know about good manga when they see it.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 18, 2013 7:34 AM

Jan 2011
Ryoza said:
This is pretty cool. There are some pretty interesting tittles in that list. Specially Sakamoto desuga?, this one caught my attention the most.
Chibi-Alice said:

http://i.imgur.com/kkb8wPj.jpg
It's quite hilarious.
[center]
Sep 18, 2013 7:37 AM

Sep 2012
Amiluhur said:
some manga on the list are completely unheard of, such as Ajin and Kakukaku, and have never seen them even once on the scanlation manga sites i usually visit. oh well, i hope it's just the case of my own ignorance and not because they're still left unscanlated.
Some of the manga are not even in the MAL database, which is one of the best archives of manga titles, and I had to check Japanese source to offer a link for some of the manga in the list. The simple fact is a lot of good manga never made it out of Japan for whatever reason even though they are well known in Japan. And this happens to anime too -- just see how many here confess to never heard of Sazae-san while in Japan you are not a native if you have never heard of Sazae-san.
symbvSep 18, 2013 7:49 AM

Sep 18, 2013 7:46 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
Amiluhur said:
Some of the manga are not even in the MAL database, which has one of the best collection of manga titles, and I have to check Japanese source to offer a link about the manga. The simple fact is a lot of good manga never make it out of Japan for whatever reason even though they are very well known in Japan.

Which is kind of a shame, makes me wish I could read Japanese. A lot of manga(like most of FKMT's work) is also never fully translated.

VioLink said:
Ryoza said:
Chibi-Alice said:

It's quite hilarious.

Its one of my favourite ongoing comedy manga.
The main character really reminds me of Tonnura from Tonnura-san.

A shame that manga never got anime(Tonnura-san), If Wakamoto had voiced Tonnura or Duke, it would have been amazing.
rederoinSep 18, 2013 7:49 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 18, 2013 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
Whew! Thank God Kingdom made the list.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Sep 18, 2013 9:27 AM

Jan 2008
Leave it up to Sakamoto-kun to take first place in everything.
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Sep 18, 2013 9:45 AM

Nov 2009
Award list is quite nice. I'm glad that many unknown series are there. Though it's a pity that many awesome series like 3-Gatsu no Lion, 7 Seeds, Gunka no Balthazar are not on the top.
Sep 18, 2013 9:50 AM

Oct 2010
chocolateparody said:
Leave it up to Sakamoto-kun to take first place in everything.

LOL. Yeah, coincidentally it's number one. I advise people here to give that manga a try. It's really stimulating.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Sep 18, 2013 10:01 AM
Mar 2011
iv read 1/5 vols of High score girl its fun its along time since there been a manga like it Game center arashi is closet i can think of [ its not SAO like ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 18, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2013
VioLink said:
Ryoza said:
Chibi-Alice said:

It's quite hilarious.

You sir convinced me to try it.
The other titles don't spark any interest in me.

And i'll be honest, those titles scream "if you are ever going to adapt these deep and emotional experiences, they better be live-action"
JoksPacifistSep 18, 2013 10:06 AM
Sep 18, 2013 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
What a surprise, SnK which started in 2009 gets 2nd place just when people are fanboying over anime. What a strong and unwavering opinions these editors have. I guess year ago they had to choose either SnK or that comedy about girl with a psychological disorder...

You would expect slower rotation in top when it comes to manga series. Hell, even mal top30 is more steady and you get new batch of series every 3 months...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 18, 2013 10:59 AM

Apr 2013
Antanaru said:
What a surprise, SnK which started in 2009 gets 2nd place just when people are fanboying over anime. What a strong and unwavering opinions these editors have. I guess year ago they had to choose either SnK or that comedy about girl with a psychological disorder...

You would expect slower rotation in top when it comes to manga series. Hell, even mal top30 is more steady and you get new batch of series every 3 months...
you realize SnK's manga was already popular in japan before 2013?
Sep 18, 2013 11:03 AM
Mar 2011
Antanaru said:

most short sited comment in the whole topic
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 18, 2013 11:11 AM

Nov 2011
Antanaru said:

The MAL top 30 also includes mangas that have not released any volumes in the last year, and finished manga.

You can't really compare them.

Sep 18, 2013 12:02 PM

Nov 2010
VioLink's image conveyed me to try Sakamoto Desuga?. Even one good addition to my (very small) manga list would be nice :D
sakaSep 24, 2013 11:04 PM
Sep 18, 2013 12:07 PM

Apr 2013
I'm not sure what some people are complaining about,I see a good variety there.
I really hope some of those Josei titles get translated.
Sep 18, 2013 12:09 PM

Nov 2011
zeroyuki92 said:
Can we just ignore some obvious flamebaits here?

Anyway, VioLink's image conveyed me to try Sakamoto Desuga?. Even one good addition to my (very small) manga list would be nice :D

If you like that manga, you should also try out tonnura-san. Sakamoto is the human version of tonnura.
rederoinSep 18, 2013 12:28 PM

Sep 18, 2013 2:30 PM

Nov 2008
I'm really glad for Kingdom
Sep 18, 2013 3:26 PM

Jul 2011
OMG YAY FOR TOKYO SHINJUU TO BE THE ONLY YAOI TITLE OUT THERE!!!! <3
Sep 18, 2013 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
Nanatsu no Taizai. Happy to see it on the list
Sep 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Sep 2012
I'm particularly fond of Ajin, it's really refreshing, though I get tired of waiting for chapters to get translated. Not surprised to see AoT, fanboys are appearing all around.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Sep 18, 2013 4:02 PM

Jul 2011
millo said:
OMG YAY FOR TOKYO SHINJUU TO BE THE ONLY YAOI TITLE OUT THERE!!!! <3

Hey, look, diversity in genres.

Sakamoto desu ga? 's description looks wicked.
Ajin, Innocent, Ballroom e Youkoso, and Umimachi Diary look super interesting too!

Shame that a lot of series aren't released outside of Japan and are not even in the database. Especially the manga.
Sep 18, 2013 4:56 PM

Feb 2012
Waiting patiently for OnePucnhMan anime ^^.
Sep 18, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2008
I've really enjoyed reading Kakukaku Shikajika and Tokyo Shinjuu this year. There is a lot of variety in this list.
Sep 18, 2013 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
Harutora said:
Nanatsu no Taizai. Happy to see it on the list

I think I might start reading this soon later in the year. A friend of mine also enjoys the work from what I've known.
Sep 18, 2013 5:25 PM
Mar 2011
The isuues of lack of kowning of these titles come from the fact that alot of them are seinen titles and no matter how much mall uerd say anime need to be mature seinen will never be as popular in us ans Japan so yes

reason 1 why alot of good anime and manga dose not get traslated is cuase seinen manga and anime wont get the fan subbers hits end of story

Sep 18, 2013 5:29 PM

Mar 2012
I need to read more variety here.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 18, 2013 5:30 PM

Dec 2009

Thank you very much for posting the award list.
I read "Sakamoto desu ga?" right after I saw this news. I was amazed. Period.

Sep 18, 2013 5:30 PM

Apr 2009
Sakamoto Desu Ga is brilliant and deserves first place, I just wish the second volume would come out already. Read Ajin as a result of the rankings, it's pretty good.
Sep 18, 2013 5:48 PM

Apr 2011
Was surprised to see Oyasumi Punpun and I am a Hero did not get a mention. Could have sworn they had vols. that were published in the correct timeframe, guess they just didn't get enough votes :(
Sep 18, 2013 6:22 PM

Nov 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Was surprised to see Oyasumi Punpun and I am a Hero did not get a mention. Could have sworn they had vols. that were published in the correct timeframe, guess they just didn't get enough votes :(

I am a hero did get ranked, just not top 27.

Its at 67# with other manga, such as Yotsuba and Terra formars.

Sep 18, 2013 7:31 PM

Aug 2013
Based on what i've seen on this thread (and many other threads on news subforum in general), i'm utterly amazed at how some people can so easily toss around delicate comments such as "shit taste" in a straightforward attitude as if they don't mean it as joke. I'm not saying they're troll, but it gives me impression that these people don't even bother to think before posting such comment.
AmiluhurSep 18, 2013 7:37 PM
Sep 18, 2013 8:54 PM

May 2008
It seems that Japan prefers manga that is based on situations that aren't way out there (such as sci-fi and fantasy) and more realistic.
Initially I was surprised, but then when I thought of how big romance, mystery, and other fictional books set in realistic settings are (it's a little scary how popular romance fiction is, to me) it wasn't that surprising in the end; after all, manga is storytelling that focuses a lot on the art to get across details that would otherwise be written in a novel, so it isn't too odd that a culture which widely accepts manga and anime would read them for similar reasons many other places would read books for.
Still, am a little sad over how few fantasy and supernatural themed ones there were in the top 27, being the fantasy fan I am.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Sep 18, 2013 10:05 PM
Sep 18, 2013 10:48 PM

Sep 2012
mangastar said:
It seems that Japan prefers manga that is based on situations that aren't way out there (such as sci-fi and fantasy) and more realistic.
Initially I was surprised, but then when I thought of how big romance, mystery, and other fictional books set in realistic settings are (it's a little scary how popular romance fiction is, to me) it wasn't that surprising in the end; after all, manga is storytelling that focuses a lot on the art to get across details that would otherwise be written in a novel, so it isn't too odd that a culture which widely accepts manga and anime would read them for similar reasons many other places would read books for.
Very good observation. It is also one reason why those more reality-based manga do not get translated outside Japan, because such manga would rely even more on knowing the culture and the society of the real world Japan, as well as its history, trends and customs. Manga readers overseas are mostly young people who have preference of simpler stories of adventure or romance, which is why those kinds of stories, many of them shounen and shoujo, are picked and translated in English. A lot of real gems are thus hidden and not known to even the more avid manga readers in the west, which is a real shame because a lot of manga in the list offer some very good insights on Japanese culture and society.
sakaSep 25, 2013 6:47 PM

Sep 19, 2013 12:50 AM

Feb 2010
Gonna check out Sakamoto Desu ga? really looks interesting and also the other ones in the rankings :D
Sep 19, 2013 2:26 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:

DateYutaka said:
The isuues of lack of kowning of these titles come from the fact that alot of them are seinen titles and no matter how much mall uerd say anime need to be mature seinen will never be as popular in us ans Japan so yes
reason 1 why alot of good anime and manga dose not get traslated is cuase seinen manga and anime wont get the fan subbers hits end of story
This is so true. And add to this some totally ignorant and arrogant people like Shuhan it is of course not going to help.

and it affects the publishers as well...
http://kodanshacomics.tumblr.com/post/61276620504/do-you-have-any-ideas-on-why-seinen-series-tend-to-do
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 19, 2013 4:02 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, did not know Kodansha actually maintains an English Q&A blog. Impressive.

That said, the answer in the link is not the whole picture. There are a lot of seinen titles that command a lot of public awareness or popularity, but because of cultural reason it is not really known much outside Japan. Kachou Shima Kousaku is one good example. It is hugely popular and has continued for years, with multiple number of prequels and sequels made that still go on strong now, but except for some students of Japanese culture, business and society the manga is pretty much not known outside Japan.
symbvSep 19, 2013 4:07 AM

Sep 19, 2013 4:46 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:
Wow, did not know Kodansha actually maintains an English Q&A blog. Impressive.

It's run by, and is largely about, the US branch of the company. They do take questions related to the main Japanese company, but it's all from the perspective of the English language market. Hence the mention of Vinland Saga, which will be getting an English language release starting in October.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 19, 2013 4:56 AM
Mar 2011
iv done a mini rant on Mal demographics thats some uo my viewa on things that also fir in ot this topic

Sep 20, 2013 5:58 AM

Oct 2011
Assassination Classroom! Gin no Saji! Nanatsu no Taizai! One-Punch Man! :3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

16 by JackAward »»
25 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

24 by infanf »»
2 hours ago

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.