Forums

DANGER: Official List of Anti-Feminist/Sexist Anime &Manga

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (14) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2014 10:27 PM

Nov 2011
metamorphius said:
Oh, I vaguely remember Mao now. I must have forgotten her since she was hardly important.

Amberleh said:
the President in Mai Hime.

ShizNat needs to die in a fire! I remember when I watched Mai Hime I felt like I was the only one not crazy over shipping them. I honestly found Shizuru's behaviour creepy and was kinda pissed that the anime decided to make it A-OK in the end. I guess since she's female that makes it fine >.>

Yeah she just straight up raped Natsuki. I was in high school when I watched it so at the time I wasn't offended by it but thinking back on it, it was super messed up.
Feb 7, 2014 1:02 AM

Jul 2011
You know, going back to Hamatora, I'm having a hard time telling why people think it specifically is so bad compared to some of the other drivel coming out this season. Not talking about people here necessarily (I'm thinking of ANN specifically, whose preview was a lot harder on this than some other shows), but I'd eviscerate "Engaged to the Unidentified" before this one, or "Magical Warfare". I've heard next to nothing positive said about Hamatora, and yet I've been enjoying it fine while hating those two. I've heard fairly few people attack either of them; the former is a show with an annoying side character whom the show is trying to make its breakout character, with a sexist premise, unfunny jokes, and an older sister with an incestuous complex, and the later is just duuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllll.

It's not a great show by any means, and I'd hesitate to even call it "good", but it does have some entertainment value for me.

Man...this season.........
Feb 7, 2014 10:51 AM

Feb 2008
SarcotarascusN said:
I guess I haven't seen enough older movies to be aware that the trope has been around a while (I mean, I'm aware that homosexuality has long been played for laughs and shoved into a handful of stereotypes, but I didn't know it necessarily happened in that fashion)
Yeah, I'm a film geek, lol. I may not watch much anime, but I watch a megaton of movies. Here are some examples of "All Gays are Promiscuous" and "Depraved Bisexuals." The latter's more comprehensive, but even these lists are not exhaustive.

SarcotarascusN said:
I kind of felt like the show was trying to make her "cute" in order to let us forget how racist she was. It was weird.
I think Euphemia was her ultimate White Idol.
Feb 7, 2014 3:47 PM

Mar 2012
There's a female character in Nobunagun who pretty much sexually harasses the other female characters and also a male character by forcing a rather thoroughly animated tongue-on-tongue kiss. It's super obvious it's fanservicey too. I honestly don't know why I'm watching this anime because I don't even pay half attention to it, but god, those episode 5 kiss scenes made me feel really uncomfortable. D: I think I'm going to drop it because it's also really boring. :/

Amberleh said:

There was also that girl in Code Geass who was in love with Euphemia and there was a scene with her masterbating to her which was creepy and unnecessary.

I totally don't remember Nina masturbating, but oh god. D8
Feb 7, 2014 3:59 PM

Jul 2011
@new_user

Is "white idol" just what it sounds like? I looked for it on Urban Dictionary but didn't come across anything.

@kawaii

I thought Nobunagun was stupid fun, substance-free but entertaining....until the Frank Capra clone showed up. Then it went down the toilet.

Workplace sexual harassment is NOT funny.

The thing is, I actually like the main character, and her relationship with that other student had some potentially to be interesting, but she disappeared and we got a bunch of lecherous clones of famous and quasi-famous people in her place. This show is seriously being let down by its sense of humor.

The only "Oda Nobunaga" show I've really heard anything good about was "The Ambition of Oda Nobuna", which it sounds like it took some pains to research the actual history and pay some attention to the historical Nobunaga's relationships...as opposed to just throwing him or his clone alongside other inappropriately-placed historical figures (as both the ones that came out this season are doing).

He's like the King Arthur of Japan, and I think he seriously needs a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" take to be interesting, at this point.....
Feb 7, 2014 5:03 PM

Feb 2008
@Sarco: I made up that term, but it is what it sounds like, lol. In a society where whites are the dominant group, as in Britain colonizing Japan in Code Geass -or real countries recovering from colonialism- whiteness will be aspired to and even fetishized. Euphemia represents everything white, status, the ideal of white beauty and gentility, and she is even named after a saint, almost divine. So it makes sense that Nina idolizes her since she's written as a racist, which presumes a hierarchy in her mind, white at the top. In that light Nina's obsession is very disturbing.
Feb 7, 2014 6:53 PM

Dec 2007
new_user said:
@Sarco: I made up that term, but it is what it sounds like, lol. In a society where whites are the dominant group, as in Britain colonizing Japan in Code Geass -or real countries recovering from colonialism- whiteness will be aspired to and even fetishized. Euphemia represents everything white, status, the ideal of white beauty and gentility, and she is even named after a saint, almost divine. So it makes sense that Nina idolizes her since she's written as a racist, which presumes a hierarchy in her mind, white at the top. In that light Nina's obsession is very disturbing.

You put more thought in that than the Code Geass writers did on the whole plot.
Feb 7, 2014 10:35 PM

Feb 2008
Lol! I grew up in a "colonized" culture, so it's familiar, but you can learn more in critical race theory courses. I do think that CG tried to play with the theme of justice from within a corrupt or wrongful system vs from without, but ultimately it was just a harem with a very obnoxious star (and voice actor!). In my opinion, lol.

ETA: Harem may be the wrong word, but you get my point, there were a lot of girls with no importance other than to prop up the heroes. At least in season one.
new_userFeb 8, 2014 10:44 AM
Feb 8, 2014 11:34 AM

Jul 2012
Honestly the portrayal of LGBTQ+ characters in anime is extremely disgusting and honestly insulting, especially to people who don't fall under the cishet identification.

I have to feel for them, really, because their identities are so often reduced to being objectified and ruined versions of who they really are. It's gross.
Feb 10, 2014 12:17 PM
Jan 2014
Does anyone here know of any non-sexist shoujo ai series? The only one I've been able to find is Aoi Hana, so I assume there aren't a lot.

(Btw, new here. Hi~!
Feb 10, 2014 12:33 PM

May 2012
Welcome!

I am yet to see it so it might not be an accurate recommendation, but I've heard good things about Maria-sama ga Miteru.
Feb 10, 2014 1:37 PM

Dec 2007
Utena.
Maybe Blue Drop. I don't remember much of it.
Feb 10, 2014 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
Welcome Tuurn!

Utena for sure, and then Sailor Moon has quite a few LBGT characters and I think does a good job with all of them. The manga has even more.

Blue Drop I watched as well but, like Earwen, I can't really remember too much about it. I don't think it was sexist though, but it's pretty bland and the ending sucks if I remember correctly.

Simoun is a shoujo ai and it's on our list, though I didn't watch too much of it. Kinda boring, has a pretty heavy seinen feel to it.

Cardcaptor Sakura, though not directly a LBGT series (has even less of it than Sailor Moon), has a couple of lesbian characters who are really awesome and their sexuality is very subtle and only hinted at from time to time.

Aoi Hana is hands down THE best shoujo ai series though, I don't care what anyone else says. It's so spectacular, both the anime AND the manga are wonderful.
Feb 11, 2014 7:18 AM
Sep 2011
Talking about shoujo... I remember that we commented a little about Sukitte Li Na Yo, and we agreed that a positive point on this series is that the guy isn’t a jerk, he’s nice and careful with the main character. Other thing that, in my opinion, is good about this series is that the characters talk about sex (and they talk in a very natural way, isn’t forced, does not look fake).
What about Kare Kano? I didn’t finished watch it and I don’t remember almost nothing, but have a general good impression.
Feb 11, 2014 7:23 AM
Sep 2011
@Amberleh

I don’t remember this couple in Sakura.

I only remember
Feb 11, 2014 1:59 PM

Nov 2011
xxHxx said:
@Amberleh

I don’t remember this couple in Sakura.

I only remember

The two lesbians were not a couple, that would be creepy considering they are mother and daughter.
Feb 12, 2014 2:28 PM
Sep 2011
@Amberleh Ow Amberleh! I got it now! Is because you wrote "a couple" and I made a wrong association.
Feb 18, 2014 11:56 PM

Jul 2011
ARGH.

I am so sick of feeling like the bad guy on internet forums for being the one person who doesn't like Sword Art Online.

Whether or not they're polite about it, fans of that show NEVER want to listen to ANY criticism of it and I'm so...friggin...sick of it.

Okay, rant over, and sorry for brining SAO up again. It came up again on the forum I visit most frequently, and the same thing happens every time happened yet again. Surprise surprise. This is the only place where I can talk about it and not feel like I'm talking to a wall.....
Feb 19, 2014 12:24 AM

Nov 2011
SarcotarascusN said:
ARGH.

I am so sick of feeling like the bad guy on internet forums for being the one person who doesn't like Sword Art Online.

Whether or not they're polite about it, fans of that show NEVER want to listen to ANY criticism of it and I'm so...friggin...sick of it.

Okay, rant over, and sorry for brining SAO up again. It came up again on the forum I visit most frequently, and the same thing happens every time happened yet again. Surprise surprise. This is the only place where I can talk about it and not feel like I'm talking to a wall.....

Don't worry, we feel your pain. I gave up going to the SAO forums because they are so DUMB. They even try to explain away legitimate plotholes or gloss over them =/
Feb 19, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
I really liked fate/zero.. But yes, It was sexist and I should probably rate it down because of that.
Feb 19, 2014 9:59 PM

Mar 2012
@Sarco
I'm sorry to hear that. D; That must be super frustrating. I've actually not met a single person on MAL who liked SAO enough to defend it.
Feb 20, 2014 1:14 AM

Aug 2009
kawaiipapa said:
I've actually not met a single person on MAL who liked SAO enough to defend it.

You must not have gone to the SAO forums here on MAL then. And that's a good thing.
Feb 20, 2014 6:22 PM

Jul 2011
Thanks, all.

I'd mostly just like to know why a show that has only one scene I found at all romantic (I did think the part in which they muse over it being Aegir's nicest season was pleasant, and some other bits were okay, but it wasn't much at all), where harem antics take up half the runtime, where the female lead is introduced twice for no other reason than apparently introducing two different tropes (mysterious girl and standoffish girl) for him to fall in love with, where they turn the little sister into his cousin just to make her fall in love with him, and has the female lead in damsel-in-distress mode for half the series is supposed to be "good romance".

This happened before and it happened right before I was motivated to make this rant: people back down a little bit, saying "sure, there are some plot holes" and proceed to justify everything by saying "but the rather good romance makes up totally for that" or "you're just not at the main story yet".

Yeah....it was soooo not worth it.

Meanwhile there's a person at the anime club I co-run who suggested we show it last semester. We didn't get around to it, since she made the request fairly late, and I mostly now just hope she doesn't bring it up again. If she does, I kind of have to go by my principle of showing what long-time attendees request and putting it on, but I really, really, really don't want to spend time on that show.
Feb 20, 2014 8:08 PM

Feb 2008
I know how it feels to be the dissenting voice. That would stink to have to suffer through SAO again! Maybe you can suggest something else that you know will take everyone's fancy.
Feb 20, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2011
new_user said:
I know how it feels to be the dissenting voice. That would stink to have to suffer through SAO again! Maybe you can suggest something else that you know will take everyone's fancy.

It's not the end of the world if we do it. We show two episodes of a different show each week, so it'd be over with soon. Next week it looks like we're showing Samurai Champloo per request, and while I'm not happy (since I don't really care for that show much), we've been showing a lot of stuff I do actually like, it's only for one day, and we've been watching enough confusing stuff (FLCL, Mawaru Penguindrum) that I think we all need a break. So I'm fine with it. And if we have to show more SAO...so be it.

But I'm not touching the second season.
Feb 23, 2014 12:57 AM

Dec 2012
Among the anime on this list, I actually disagree with Fate/Zero and Code Geass being listed. Now, I haven't read this whole thread (yet) but judging from the first and last page, looks like I'm not the only one. Most of the counter-arguments against user Kiraly do not quite agree with me, so I'll be addressing that first:

Fate/Zero - in regards to Saber's character, while I think the comments about her being 'a little girl' in the anime was degrading, I do not think it was meant to actually portray her in that way. the anime, I think showed her to be better than what she's labeled as, rather than tell the viewers so directly with dialogue (perhaps that would have been more clear, but less of a subtle storytelling). I agree with what Kiraly said "She wasn't a good ruler, but not because her ideas or methods were wrong, but because she was far ahead of her time. Her moderate (and modern) ideas were contrasted with Iskandar's warmongering heroism and Gilgamesh's decadence and supremacy - her dialogue and character arc would be no different if she were a guy. I haven't decided whether questioning herself was correct - the bad things that happened were her fault, but her noble ideas were right." Unless I'm much mistaken (and do correct me if I am), Saber never questions if these bad things have happened because she's a woman - what she questions instead is whether the fall of Camelot etc could've been avoided if someone else was the ruler, not if a man was the ruler. In fact, one of the many admirable things about her is her calm demeanor and mature way of dealing with men, especially considering her original life as Arturia would have been a male-dominated society. when Saber has that conversation about being rulers, she does not rise to the bait of Gilgamesh's narcissistic superiority complex or Iskander's "warmongering heroism" - rather she considers them as alternative philosophies and evaluates her own. if she becomes critical, it is, as Kiraly said, of her methods and moral, not herself as a woman.
the other woman is Irisviel. she is, I think, even more important than Saber in terms of portrayal of women. her character's life actually starts of as a tool for the Grail War - she is basically a literal case of female characters not being human enough (eg. stereotypes and unrealistically portrayed). but in this story, she really isn't human. but the great thing is, she literally and symbolically defies that boundary. her choice in an incredibly important part of her characterisation. this is something I came to realise over time, at first even I though she's just going to be one of those 'pure, innocent' romantic tool. her death was decided from her birth - she was a homunculus created for one purpose without any will of her own. however, not only did she develop a will but also humanity, and then chose to walk a different path than what was decided for her, despite it still leading to her sacrifice. she was the one who made the difference between what she 'fated' to be, and what she actually became, with Kiritsugu's help.
and of course, the genuine friendship between these 2 women (and the other assassin one, to some extent) is also portrayed well and given a lot of screentime. in many ways, it seemed to me that Saber and Iris revealed more about them (thus growing as characters) to each other in the span of the show that to any other characters.

Code Geass - I'll admit right off the bat that my main problem with this show is the fanservice. however, this is also probably the only anime where fanservice did not equate to bad female portrayals. firstly, it's another anime that checks out with the female representation, with almost equal number of male/female characters. also, there's a variety of personality and ability among them. they are shown to be clever, kind, apathetic, scheming, ambitious...basically everything any normal human has the potential to be. they are not confined to stereotypes of 'women are kind' or 'women are motherly'.
now, to address the issues against Code Geass, take Euphy as the first instance. what Amberleh said was: "Euphy was strong, but she gets degraded and becomes nothing more than a tool for Lelouche's rise to power and Suzaku's angst and hate for Lelouche" this is true and I agree with it to an extent, what I don't agree with is the obviously implication that this was all that she was. before going into this, I'd like to state that I think representation and agency are the most important things when considering the value of characters in a story. Euphy's representation contains some tropes, such as the 'innocent naive princess who just want everyone to be happy', but it's her agency as a character that intrigues me more. because despite being that kind of a person she has surprising influence over the other characters and subsequently the plot. I'd urge you to remember several things that occurred as a direct result of her wish and her death: Suzaku's vengeful motivations, Zero's unveiling resultant of that, Nina's aggressive attempt and success in inventing the flaya (however you spell it) which became a major weapon, Nina actually going to work for Lelouch later, Cornelia infiltrating V2's lab (incidentally being the first one to do so), Nunnally restarting the state of Japan, Lelouch coming to control the rest of the remaining Japanese families including Kaguya (which happened right after the massacre, if I remember correctly) etc. I'm sure if I were to put some more thought to it I can come up with a few more. the point I'm trying to make is that Euphy serves as a great catalyst for a lot of things that are crucial to the plot. you may still choose to equate her being a 'catalyst' to a 'tool' but the fact she influences so many things in the show is actually indicative of her agency. character death can sometimes serve to give insights just as much as living and active characters.
the other 2 women mentioned were C.C. and Nunnally. first off, even apart of the 'typicalness' of Nunnally's role as a younger sister, I think her character potential was not utilised properly in the show, especially in the second season. so I don't exactly think her characterisation is great to begin with. C.C however, was an interesting character. stories in any medium usually have 2 kinds of well-written characters - one is the kind that experiences growth and development, and the other is one that does not need that and is already well established as a character. C.C. is of the latter kind, she is, as I see it, meant to remain unrelatable and mysterious. of course, we get more insight into her later one, but at that point she is already established as 'non-human' so as to not subject her to the standards we would to regular characters. but she does experience some growth and changes some of her world view, particularly apparent in the C's world scenes.
the female characters of this show is not limited to the above, however, there are plenty of characters who deserve to be called more than just tools or fanservice material, such as: Kallen, Cornelia, Viletta, Nina, Lady Kaguya, Millie, Marianne, Cecile, the female Black Knights, Britannian women of various professions, and plenty of other minor characters. the sheer diversity of these characters are enough to merit the anime at least the recognition as one that it has good female representation, and on top of them nearly all of them defy the confines of stereotypes that comes with being a female character in anime. this is all the more reason I despise the presence of fanservice in that show, because at face value it can undermine what I consider to be otherwise a good example of an anime with well-written female characters.

Please consider what I've said here regarding the 2 anime, and I'd be happy discuss it further. Sorry this is quite long, but I also have a bit more to add - this time for the actual anti-feminist list:

Kaichou wa Maid-sama - I went into this show with expectation of some laughs and a kickass heroine, but what I got instead is one of the worst fictional characters in existence: Usui. his very presence in the show makes it highly sexist even when in the rare moments he's not interacting with the man female.

Uta no Prince-sama - one of the grossest portrayal of anti-feminism with reverse harem on top.and that's only one of the faults of this show.

If you could please put these 2 on the list I think it would save many feminist souls from accidentally being tainted by these romanticised sexism.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 23, 2014 1:18 AM

Nov 2011
I'm sorry but F/Z and Code Geass are staying there forever. I'd go into detail but I've done it so many times in the past that I just really don't want to again. I get that you really enjoyed both of them, but for our lists quality of series is not a factor at all. Fan service also isn't a problem depending on how it's done. Examples of this would be Fairy Tail and Witchblade, both of which feature a crapton of fanservice. (Granted I'm still not 100% sure on Witchblade belonging on our good list). Fairy Tail, however, is chock full of fanservice but good God it is one of the most empowering anime out there. The women are just fantastic, and there's a variety of them with colorful backgrounds.

But either way, I'm sorry, but I'm not removing F/Z or Code Geass and again, I don't want to discuss them further because I have done it to death, although other members are welcome to share their opinions but it will change nothing. I'm sorry.

Kaichou I'm torn on because on one hand, I firmly believe Misaki herself belongs on our good list but the series itself did have a lot of issues.

I have not seem Uta no Prince-Sama so I can't comment on it.
Feb 23, 2014 1:32 AM

Dec 2012
Amberleh said:
for our lists quality of series is not a factor at all.
I guess it can't be helped if you want keep it there, but I wasn't really pointing out the quality of the show itself, rather if I did mention it, it was to show that the female characters contribute to the quality. anyway, could you clarify what is the basis on which you form the lists?

Amberleh said:
Kaichou I'm torn on because on one hand, I firmly believe Misaki herself belongs on our good list but the series itself did have a lot of issues.
I have not seem Uta no Prince-Sama so I can't comment on it.
For Misaki, I'm afraid I can't share that sentiment because she endorses all the issues I have with the show, including Usui's creepy actions, and therefore can't be considered a representative of good female portrayal. And UtaPri is even worse in that aspect. But it is, once again, your choice whether you wish to include them.

EDIT: I have now perused the whole thread and did not find any further argument against F/Z and CG beyond the first page, so I guess I still don't really see why they are legit 'anti-feminist candidates'. If possible, I'd appreciate if you could even provide a link to another place you or someone else have provided such arguments, because I'm always open to others interpretations.
fullmetalbenderFeb 23, 2014 1:57 AM
Anime List

✨☆✨

Feb 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Nov 2011
We form the lists based on the opinions of the officers and we weigh the opinions of the members as well, though for certain series that some of the officers feel very strongly about we just throw the opinions of others out the window.

Keep in mind that this club is meant to be about community, not the lists, and since we're just normal humans like the rest of you we may have our own biasis that affect the lists. It doesn't mean we can't get along or that any of us are bad people. We're just some random chicks on the internet, we are not some higher authority on anything. =)
Feb 23, 2014 9:56 AM

Jul 2011
(On another note)

I've been wondering....is there anybody else who finds the insistent use of that "No matter what happens, I will protect you" line and the use of "I must protect her" or "you can't protect her" in anime to be really paternalistic? I cringe whenever I hear it now. It just feels to me like this paternalistic statement precludes anything actually related to the characters' personalities in romance: saying you will protect her is apparently the same as saying you love her, guys argue over who protects the girl better, etc.

It's something that's been bugging me and I've been wondering what people think.

It's not that I don't think couples should protect each other, but it's like there's this sense of "man proving himself by defending weak girl", even if the female character in question is perfectly capable. This double standard. It's like this is somehow meant to be really romantic, but almost all of the time it feels extremely awkward to me.

I remember it bothering me in Last Exile, to some extent because I felt that the show deliberately tried to portray Lavie as more "vulnerable" during the end (which made no sense and bugged me a lot), and in 11eyes (which is a lame show anyway, but which really takes infantilization of women to an extreme), and a lot of the shows I dislike from the current season (e.g. Nisekoi) have also pulled it out.
Feb 23, 2014 3:27 PM

Dec 2012
^ Yes. Actually my gripe with that kind of line started way before I got into anime, and I'm now at the point when I can't even accept that line even when it's legitimately about protecting someone.

Also they have a tendency to make the male characters who say it seem like they'll be able to do exactly that (be a saviour) because of their physical prowess. On the other hand, sometimes when they make a girl say it, they also simultaneously make her appear 'frail' - not necessarily just physically - with the implication that she wouldn't be capable of it, and playing it for the 'sweet romanticism' (oh irony).

And I haven't watched any of the anime mentioned except Nisekoi, which I've dropped, so I can't comment.
Anime List

✨☆✨

Feb 23, 2014 5:29 PM

Jul 2011
They did exactly what you just described in 11eyes: the girl says it, then the boy says "no, you musn't protect me and be strong, then I have nothing to do myself!". The equivalent of that, anyway.

In my opinion, Nisekoi is pretty dull, and 11eyes is really, really bad. Last Exile does have some good parts, but it's a show whose popularity I've never understood entirely (watching it mostly just made me want to re-watch Porco Rosso).
Feb 23, 2014 9:49 PM

Feb 2008
Yep, this is annoying. Any agency or power the female character had must disappear so that the male protagonist can save her -and of course, he's just a regular Joe, just as she's a regular Jane, so it's even more demeaning. Saving girls -who will then love him, it's implied- part of the power fantasy.

(Also, I have to say in Code Geass, the girls were just there to serve the boys' character development and plans. The premise was these two guys in conflict due to their different approaches to justice. It was probably why it frustrated me so much I wanted to crush lemons, lol. A revolution with women as bit players? Please. They're always at the forefront. The parts the girls played were crumbs, especially in comparison to Lelouch and Suzaku's roles. I think I said this; sorry if I'm repeating myself!)
Feb 24, 2014 8:07 PM
Jan 2013
Perhaps this is due to cultural differences (my immersion in Japanese culture is at the "oh-look-what-they've-done-now" level), but beyond being sexist (which they are), those scenes just seem so ... bad.

On a sort of related note, I watched the first episode of Guilty Crown the other night (forgetting to consult this very list), and it definitely had this feel to it. Made me feel a bit sick.
Feb 24, 2014 9:47 PM

Feb 2008
Yep, Guilty Crown, definitely. I couldn't get past the first episode with that emphasized so heavily.
Feb 25, 2014 3:06 AM

Mar 2012
@Sarco

Regarding that whole "I'll protect you blah blah derp" aspect of anime and manga, I usually always find it confusing that characters (mainly male) would even say it. I mean, I don't know if it's just something that's like protocol to dating in Japan or "romance," but like who really says that? I guess as a westerner, I just find it really strange and out of context when I read/hear something like that because usually, such lines aren't said due to the other character being in some kind of trouble, but it's more of like a "By the way, since we're in "love," I'm going to protect you" type of thing. :/ But yeah, I definitely understand your frustration.
TongueFeb 25, 2014 3:10 AM
Feb 25, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2011
I have to admit, I tried saying it in English once (not to anyone, just to myself) and it sounded just as clunky as it sounds to me in my head when I read the subtitles. It sounds out of context and comes across as so forced, like "no romance is complete without one utterance of this line". So yeah, why the heck would anyone say it?

It's still amazing to me that some of the only anime couples I've found at all romantic weren't ever actually together (Spice and Wolf) or were only on their way to it (Aoi Hana). There are so, so, so many bad tropes in anime romance. Then again, it's just as bad in movies over here, so it's hardly unique to Japan. The same stereotypes exist over here, I just think they do a slightly better job at hiding them (though then there's Twilight), so...).
Feb 25, 2014 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
I agree that the more romantic couples are the ones that aren't even together. I suspect that's why people ship too- Something about cute interactions within a friendship are more fun and charming to see than however anime depicts romance.
Feb 25, 2014 6:43 PM

Feb 2008
That's a good point, Sarco. It's reversed in the US. Here it's presumably female viewers fantasizing about the man protecting the woman that studios are targeting, or it's a safe economic bet to reinforce gender roles we've internalized, whatever. Maybe that explains the supernatural boom a little bit.
Feb 25, 2014 11:04 PM

Mar 2012
It's probably because the "normal" interactions between characters who aren't couples come off as more normal than a forced romance. This is why, even though I read a lot of shoujo manga, I end up hating most of them because it's so unrealistic haha....not that shoujo manga is meant to portray anything realistic about people anyway....
Feb 26, 2014 3:39 PM

Dec 2012
I recently started the series Great Teacher Onizuka, and since discovering this club I've thinking it might be a candidate for this list. Despite the majority of the anime community raving about its amazingness and hilarity, there are a number of anti-feminist elements that I find largely problematic. Most of them are just for comedic purposes, and quite frankly, there's no form of sexism I despise more than the kind played for laughs. Granted, I've only watched a few episodes so far (not even a quarter way through) but the fact that these issues are making me more and more disinclined to continue really says something about the show.

If anyone else has seen it, I'd like to know their opinions and expand on my thoughts.
Anime List

✨☆✨

Feb 26, 2014 4:08 PM

Nov 2011
I do love GTO, it's one of my favorites, but it's certainly got a lot of issues with sexism. However, on the same note, I don't know that it belongs on this list just because the women in it, for the most part, are shown to be very intelligent as well as have a lot of power. The main antagonists for the series are women, who you find out have been pulling the strings all along.

Now, obviously, I'm not gonna add it to our empowerment list, but I think these women also disqualify it from being added to the sexist list. But let me know what you think once you finish it.
Feb 26, 2014 4:34 PM

Dec 2012
Well I'm slightly more inclined to continue now lol, but I can't deny its first impressions were terrible for me.

How about Golden Boy? It's another highly praised one apparently similar to GTO, but I have doubts about watching it. Thoughts?
Anime List

✨☆✨

Feb 26, 2014 5:35 PM

Nov 2011
fullmetalbender said:
Well I'm slightly more inclined to continue now lol, but I can't deny its first impressions were terrible for me.

How about Golden Boy? It's another highly praised one apparently similar to GTO, but I have doubts about watching it. Thoughts?

I love GTO but absolutely despised Golden Boy. I can't think of one positive thing to say about it, I really don't know WHY it's so popular or WHY people think it's good.
Feb 26, 2014 5:46 PM

Jul 2011
The bicycle scene was hilarious, I thought. But most of the time, it seemed to me that it was a lot less funny than I'd been told it was.
Feb 26, 2014 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
I watched it about 10 or more years ago so I really don't remember it too well, but I do remember disliking it a LOT.

As far as our list goes though I'm not even sure we should bother putting it on, but I certainly won't object if everyone wants it on.
Mar 2, 2014 2:01 AM

Aug 2009
First of all I apologize in advanced because I feel kind of silly joining a club just to make a comment, but I started this thing and it's been bugging me for a while so I might as well get it out. Is the list supposed to only include very recent or mainstream anime, because there are honestly stuff out there thats so much worse. Stuff that you watch and right away think "wow thats sexist". I was expecting to see titles like "Madbull 34", "Golgo 13", "Blue Flames", "Wounded Man" and "Crying Freeman". Things that are obviously based on the male empowerment fantasy having women only present as sexual objects. Even something somewhat recent and vehemently disliked like "School Days" isn't on the list. I'm not defending any of the anime on the list or saying they are not sexist. I'm just saying there are many anime out there that are extremely blatant with their sexism, aside from hentai... but thats another story.

As far as Golden Boy goes the humor derives directly from the fact that the women in the series at first treat him like shit. They underestimate and look down on him because of his social status and goofy attitude. This includes him getting stomped and spit on by a love interest, given unwanted jobs that no one else will do and being framed for rape and subsequently getting his ass kicked by yakuza and a ofcourse many vocal insults. It's only after he proves his self worth that the women start chasing after him. Which I admit is pretty silly and unrealistic, but at the same time shows that hard work actually pays off instead of most series which have the women constantly throwing themselves at the main character for no apparent reason. I really don't mean to upset anyone or question their judgement, just wanted to get my opinion out there.
LoneWolfMar 2, 2014 2:19 AM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 2, 2014 2:20 AM

Nov 2011
We don't really do much upkeep on this list because, honestly, 75% of all anime belong on the list if not more. It's just too much so we don't really bother, this thread is more about discussing sexist anime at this point.
Apr 6, 2014 3:01 PM

Nov 2011
So someone brought up that Chobits should be added to the sexism list, and I'm not entirely sure on that one. It's got fanservice and plays on the innocent loli-looking female doing accidentally lewd things, but at the same time, they indicate that in the world of the series there are male robots used for the same purposes as the female ones(sexual services). The ending also preaches that love should not be about sex, which is nice.

I certainly wouldn't add it to our feminism list, but does it belong on our sexism list? I'm leaning towards no, but what are everyone else's thoughts?
Apr 8, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2011
One episode isn't a good indicator, always, but thus far two Spring 2014 shows have stuff that I think is worth warning about:

Black Bullet: Okay, first off...the guy who directed Monster and Hanada Shounen-Shi is now directing half-assed light novel adaptations. That...might be a sign that the anime world is increasingly not for me.

Anyway, main relationship in here is basically a modern version of Black Jack/Pinoko (which always creeped me out more than a bit). Enju (the female lead, it thus appears) gets a blast of material that looks like semen on her face within the first episode, and she's smitten and supposedly engaged to the main character in spite of appearing to be....10 or so years younger than him, which makes him 18 or so and her 8. Yeah...no.

The World is Still Beautiful:

On account of a tasteless "joke" in which two ruffians, having attempted to kidnap the main character and mistaken another girl for her, realize their mistake but decide to "have their fun". That's already very, very bad, but it's made worse by the fact that they jokingly "break the fourth wall" and say they have to do this "to please the male viewers".

Yeah, I'm male and....that totally backfired on me and made me not want to continue. Nice one. : P

They're stopped in time, thankfully, but that was tasteless beyond belief...and don't get me started on the fact that a lot of people writing comments on the crunchyroll page seemed to think this was cool.

So anyway, of the shows I've seen thus far those have some potential triggers. Not saying add them to the list off the bat, just figured this is as good a thread as any to mention that, since those two episodes really, really bothered me.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (14) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Fruits Basket???

holysauron - Aug 25, 2019

12 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2022 7:27 PM

» • women working on anime: recommendations?

aku333 - Apr 5, 2020

5 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2022 7:10 PM

» Study material

holysauron - Apr 10, 2018

3 by Moonspeak »»
May 6, 2022 9:54 AM

» Feminist television and mini-series

Angemars - Sep 16, 2016

5 by Zoldra0 »»
Feb 4, 2022 9:06 AM

» What are your favourite anime/manga and why?

daisys - Dec 3, 2021

1 by Zoldra0 »»
Feb 4, 2022 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.