Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2013 6:35 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm.

How emotional do you consider yourself as a person? Less/more so than others?

How emotionally expressive are you? Keeping things inside etc.

Should society in general be more accepting of emotional expression?

I have trouble answering these questions, so I ask you people.

Animebonus: Do you enjoy anime that evoke strong emotions, negative or otherwise? (Sorrow, anger, etc)
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 11, 2013 6:38 PM

Dec 2012
I have never cried for someone else in my entire life if that tells you anything.
Sep 11, 2013 6:38 PM

Apr 2012
Emotions are a mental disorder
Sep 11, 2013 6:47 PM

Mar 2011
I consider myself a highly apathetic individual, much like many of the youth today.
Sep 11, 2013 6:51 PM

Jun 2012
I only express my positive emotions, I keep the negative ones pent up for MAL.
And my feels are easily affected by anime, I love that.
Sep 11, 2013 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
I'm very expressive with people, I like to show them my love by kissing them and slapping their butts.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 11, 2013 7:46 PM

Dec 2009
The only emotions I have left are amusement, contempt, kittens, and pathological egotism.
Sep 11, 2013 7:50 PM

Apr 2013
I'm a man, and men don't cry.
Sep 11, 2013 7:58 PM

Aug 2013
You all sound completely soulless and devoid of life.

You don't need to be so repressive.
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
I don't cry much(3 times a year), I over excaudate everything and get upset a lot(more annoyed kind of upset) I guess disgusted. I get mad sometimes...I used to hit my head when I was little.

But those days are gone.
I'm usually happy.
Sep 11, 2013 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
I consider myself a very emotional person, even though I mask myself with insanity/craziness. Even borderline melodramatic at times.
I tend to understand how most people are feeling, and I always try to help them through tough times.
Am I completely open? Only with people I truly trust. Hell, I don't trust my parents or siblings as much as a few of my friends.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 11, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
Slayermaster said:
You all sound completely soulless and devoid of life.

You don't need to be so repressive.

This is MAL. What did you expect?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 11, 2013 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
Well as a human, I do have feelings/emotions. I express them in various ways via laughter, pain, distress, anger or crying. I'm capable of expressing myself
Sep 11, 2013 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Starchaser187 said:
Well as a human, I do have feelings/emotions. I express them in various ways via laughter, pain, distress, anger or crying. I'm capable of expressing myself

anything is possible with popsicle!
Sep 11, 2013 9:17 PM
May 2010
I'm realistic.
Negative emotions cloud people's judgement of things. So I tend to not be overly emotional.
Sep 11, 2013 10:00 PM

Aug 2009
I cut myself 'cause it reminds me that I'm alive!

Sep 11, 2013 10:00 PM

Feb 2012
I don't have any emotions, and that makes me sad.
Sep 11, 2013 10:09 PM

Oct 2012
i dont have emotions
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 12, 2013 12:53 AM

Apr 2009
I consider myself more on the logical side than emotional considering i'm a woman, which i think is a good thing.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Sep 12, 2013 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
I get scolded for not expressing any joyful emotions most of the time. I find it hard to get excited about things as much as others do but when it comes to getting annoyed or hating stuff, I'm the man.
Sep 12, 2013 4:26 AM
Sep 12, 2013 4:29 AM

Jun 2012
biitchstick said:
I consider myself more on the logical side than emotional considering i'm a woman, which i think is a good thing.

You have to be joking. Comparatively women tend to not lean on the side of logic as much as men do, there's a reason men dominate scientific fields and women dominate fields dealing with social interaction, and it has nothing to with any kind of "patriarchal oppression" but choice. I think it's a biological predisposition that they are typically more drawn toward emotional/social/artistic cues in life.

Waiting for someone to ironically call me sexist for that and not call you sexist for saying the same thing. (You generalized an entire gender though, I used words like tend and typically.)
Sep 12, 2013 4:37 AM

Oct 2012
beavis2323 said:
i dont have emotions
Not surprised
Sep 12, 2013 4:54 AM

Sep 2013
Caze said:
You have to be joking. Comparatively women tend to not lean on the side of logic as much as men do, there's a reason men dominate scientific fields and women dominate fields dealing with social interaction, and it has nothing to with any kind of "patriarchal oppression" but choice. I think it's a biological predisposition that they are typically more drawn toward emotional/social/artistic cues in life.

Waiting for someone to ironically call me sexist for that and not call you sexist for saying the same thing. (You generalized an entire gender though, I used words like tend and typically.)

Uhhhh she didn't even say anything about patriarchal oppression and you just jumped down her throat for calmly stating that she believes being a woman allows her to be a little bit more logical. Meanwhile you're being touchy. (how ironic for you.)

Anyway, ye! I'm a pretty emotional person, I make my positive feelings known to everyone and when I do have negative feelings I don't put them on the line for everyone to see, but I do have at least one trusted person to spill things out to. Emotions are an important part of human interaction and they allow us to connect with and understand each other so that we can work together more effectively!
Sep 12, 2013 5:20 AM

Jun 2012

Do not mistake a post from me like that for being upset, touchy, angry, offended, or not being calm.

Uhhhh she didn't even say anything about patriarchal oppression

I did not imply she did.

you just jumped down her throat for calmly stating that she believes being a woman allows her to be a little bit more logical.

Because I never hear the end of it about men being sexist, but the same people think it's fine when a girl does it. You think nothing of it because she is a girl. How about if I went up to you and said:

"I consider myself more on the logical side than emotional considering i'm a guy".
Sep 12, 2013 6:00 AM

Sep 2013
Caze said:
Do not mistake a post from me like that for being upset, touchy, angry, offended, or not being calm.

Because I never hear the end of it about men being sexist, but the same people think it's fine when a girl does it. You think nothing of it because she is a girl. How about if I went up to you and said:

"I consider myself more on the logical side than emotional considering i'm a guy".

So which is it? Are you or aren't you upset by what she said? Also, sexism, the patriarchy, privilege, etc. are WAY too complex to break out and unpack here, but the short answer is: if you came up to me and said that, I wouldn't be surprised or feel a huge emotional reaction... and actually, you did say that men are more logical, and you even cited biological predisposition and blew off societal constructs as though they don't exist all in the same sentence! and it's nothing new to me and I wouldn't have even said anything if I didn't just watch a girl get attacked for harmlessly referencing her gender. If your biggest concern about sexism is having to hear about it, maybe you should learn to relax a little bit and see things from a bigger perspective.

But I do think that you and I did just prove something considering the actual topic of the thread; Emotion isn't gender exclusive. A good lesson for us all. Hooray. ( •ω•)
Sep 12, 2013 6:17 AM

Jun 2012

So which is it? Are you or aren't you upset by what she said?

What is making you think I am upset or emotional about it? Because I write posts longer than two sentences that sound like "i hav emotions. emotions r good"?

Also, sexism, the patriarchy, privilege, etc. are WAY too complex to break out and unpack here

Why is that too complex to bring up here? At least in the modern western world, the words "privilege" and "patriarchy" need to get trashed though.

I wouldn't have even said anything if I didn't just watch a girl get attacked for harmlessly referencing her gender

You use a euphemism like "harmlessly referencing her gender", but I guarantee you if I or any other guy said the same thing it would be considered extremely sexist. That's ironically sexist and not fair. I point things like this out when I see them.

you even cited biological predisposition and blew off societal constructs as though they don't exist all in the same sentence! ... If your biggest concern about sexism is having to hear about it, maybe you should learn to relax a little bit and see things from a bigger perspective.

You misunderstand if you think I get offended by "sexism" or that this is about me being upset about the content of what she said. I'm offended by nothing. I just don't like females commonly bringing up "sexism" from guys, but it never getting brought up and ignored when they do the same thing, that's all.

I think societal issues factor into it too, I never said they don't, however I still believe there's a biological predisposition.
CazeSep 12, 2013 6:26 AM
Sep 12, 2013 6:19 AM
May 2012
Slayermaster said:
Hmm.

Animebonus: Do you enjoy anime that evoke strong emotions, negative or otherwise? (Sorrow, anger, etc)

I wouldn't say I'm emotional, I keep things to myself and try not letting them show if I am feeling emotional, but then again, it really depends on the situation and what emotion it is.

I think society is already accepting emotional expressions, always has.

I cried like a bitch at the end of Witchblade.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Sep 12, 2013 6:26 AM
Jul 2013
I cried when my dog died.
Sep 12, 2013 6:26 AM

Jul 2012
Well, I consider myself more emotional in some areas and less in others. I sometimes find myself filled with the feeling of "I must do this! I will do this!", and its usually pretty intense. Though usually I only feel that way during arguments. I sometimes get sad, sometimes get happy, but I'm not too emotional. Perhaps more then the average person, but less sad or easily amused then most people.

Any sadness I feel I keep in. I very often keep anger in. But I express everything else, and sometimes go out of my way to show some sort of emotion. I don't want to look emotionless.

I think so. Sometimes people need to get their feelings out, and it'd be a shame for society to try and stop that or frown upon it.

As long as it doesn't make me angry. I love anime that make me sad (Casshern Sins and Elfen Lied), anime that get me motivated (Gurren Lagann), and anime that make me smile or laugh (One Piece, Ghost Stories English dub, Hetalia: Axis Powers)
Sep 12, 2013 6:43 AM

Sep 2013
Caze said:
Why is that too complex to bring up here? At least in the modern western world, the words "privilege" and "patriarchy" need to get trashed though.

Because I'm not willing to drag out days, if not months, worth of literature, research, statistics, personal experiences, to explain such a complex issue on an off topic thread on an anime forum ??? If you believe that a society, a country as well, built upon misogyny and cultural superiority has somehow lost all of its foundations and that women generally being aware of and concerned about the patriarchy is some ~weird "feeling sorry for ourselves" cultural phenomenon, I'm really happy for you! But when I log off and walk out the door I'm going to go face and worry about things that will never even have to cross your mind, and all of them will be more immediately threatening than being bummed that people think I'm sexist sometimes, and whether you believe in it or not won't change that.

I don't want to throw the thread off topic. I really actually don't. If you want resources or if you want to give me any on why you think that privilege doesn't exist despite years and years of scholarly research and the fact that I can take college courses on it and basically major in it, you can message me, but I'm not going to hash it out here anymore okay thank u lots bye.
Sep 12, 2013 6:43 AM

Feb 2010
I try to avoid them when I'm in company.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 12, 2013 7:07 AM

Aug 2013
I have no shame in my game. I'm straight forward with my emotions.
Sep 12, 2013 7:21 AM

Jun 2012
Because I'm not willing to drag out days, if not months, worth of literature, research, statistics, personal experiences, to explain such a complex issue on an off topic thread on an anime forum ???

the fact that I can take college courses on it and basically major in it

It's not a complex issue for one, and there's months worth of literature, research, statistics, and personal experience on tons of dumb topics. You can also go to college and major in Religious studies if you want to go there.

If you believe that a society, a country as well, built upon misogyny and cultural superiority has somehow lost all of its foundations and that women generally being aware of and concerned about the patriarchy is some ~weird "feeling sorry for ourselves" cultural phenomenon

What country are you talking about? The US is not the only country on Earth if you're talking about your own. It's ignorant to act like it is.

The US itself definitely wasn't founded on misogyny though. That's ridicolous. People didn't come here to pick on women.

But when I log off and walk out the door I'm going to go face and worry about things that will never even have to cross your mind, and all of them will be more immediately threatening than being bummed that people think I'm sexist sometimes, and whether you believe in it or not won't change that.

This is the part that gets to me the most. While there are benefits for being a guy too, I don't think you realize just how much benefits you get for simply being a girl.

If you're an even mildly attractive girl, you are at the top of society's social ranking, socially, you have as much "privilege" as you can possibly get. Girl's don't seem to realize how much they can do that guys cannot simply because they have a female body.

You are wanted by guys to a much larger extent than girls want guys, and can easily manipulate a large majority of men into doing almost anything you want simply because you're a girl and know how to use sex as a weapon.

You are given lower expectations. If a mildly attractive girl wants to, she can do nothing but sit on her ass her entire life and let men do everything for her, and no one would care. Guys without extremely caring family who want to do the same can expect to be homeless, and we all know the stigma of living with your parents until you're like 30 or more.

You are generally treated nicer and your actions are more accepted. It's the little things you don't even realize. Things you can say, jokes you can make, actions you can do, that if a guy were to do them, he would be considered creepy. You are simply just given more leeway socially than guys are.

CazeSep 12, 2013 7:24 AM
Sep 12, 2013 7:30 AM

Aug 2013
Not a gender issues discussion thread. Emotions, please.
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 12, 2013 9:03 AM

Jul 2013
Slayermaster said:

I'm emotionally stable, most of the times.

to answer your animebonus,yes, I am fond of watching anime that evoke strong emotions. esp. negativity. haha
Sep 12, 2013 9:10 AM
Oct 2011
Sourire said:
Wrong
http://31.media.tumblr.com/31b8ab8746927957760c96ea167c635a/tumblr_mlgy51JgE61qdeg0do1_500.jpg
Sep 12, 2013 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
Candior said:
Sourire said:
Wrong
http://31.media.tumblr.com/31b8ab8746927957760c96ea167c635a/tumblr_mlgy51JgE61qdeg0do1_500.jpg

I saw the first pic, Candor. I'll remember this.
Sep 12, 2013 9:25 AM

Apr 2013
I'm almost completely emotionless. I view emotions as a sign of weakness. Then again I do want to be a cop or work in the Navy so I'm perfectly suited for it.

I think it has to do with my sign. Virgo is known to be nigh emotionless. I notice most of the users on here are Virgo's!

Jul 2013
Sourire said:

Not being able to or not wanting to show ones emotions is a mental weakness, since you're afraid of what others may think of your manhood.

May 2008
Candior said:
Sourire said:
Wrong

What Candior said!
Sep 12, 2013 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
Caze said:
biitchstick said:

uh... i think you misread what i said, i'm fully aware men are more on the logical side and females tend to veer more towards the emotional side, which is why i mentioned i consider myself more on the logical side FOR A WOMAN.

People tend to misunderstand my posts really easily, i think i just suck at trying to explain myself sometimes. ):
biitchstickSep 12, 2013 11:32 AM
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Sep 12, 2013 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
AnimeBonus: If a show DOES NOT evoke powerful emotions in me, i consider it to be somewhat of a failure. Thats not to say its a failure for everyone, just me.

I'm fairly emotional. Good at holding it in unless I'm really distressed or sad. I usually try to retreat when that happens b/c its not fun for anyone
Sep 12, 2013 11:42 AM
Sep 2013
Pretty emotionless.
Emotions often can cloud one's opinion.
Sep 12, 2013 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Emotional? Probably a bit more so than others

Emotionally expressive? Nah, I only really express positive emotions; I keep almost everything negative inside
Sep 12, 2013 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
Hell, I don't know.

Cried for like 2 hours while watching Clannad After Story.
Cried a shit-ton during iDOLM@STER.
Cried at the end of Angel Beats.

I tend to make decisions purely on emotion even when I don't necessarily want to. Also I took multiple personality tests, and I seem to be an ISFJ (which apparently 86.2% of people aren't):

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFJ.html
removed-userSep 12, 2013 12:54 PM
Sep 12, 2013 12:59 PM

Apr 2011
Slayermaster said:
Hmm.

1. How emotional do you consider yourself as a person? Less/more so than others?

2. How emotionally expressive are you? Keeping things inside etc.

3. Should society in general be more accepting of emotional expression?

4. Animebonus: Do you enjoy anime that evoke strong emotions, negative or otherwise? (Sorrow, anger, etc)

1. I feel all emotions that a human is supposed to feel, but I keep the negative feelings bottled up inside me and pent them out while I do stuff. Stuff can mean fapping, gaming, listening to music, playing some football, annoying my little sister, etc.
2. I'm normally very distrustful of humans, which (combined with my loathing of deceit) kind of leads to my anarchist mindset. This also means that I rarely ever open up my emotions to others. If I do, then that person is someone I trust with my life; so far that list only has two names.
3. Yes, but no. Everyone deserves to have their emotions/feelings accepted, but the real world is not so nice a place where you can survive if such a thing happens. Equality does not exist and therefore, society will (and should) only accept emotions/feelings it deems to be right.
4. Depends. Eg; I liked how Angel Beats! portrayed Yui's portion of the story and absolutely hated what followed.
Sep 12, 2013 1:29 PM

Jun 2013
Too much emotions inside me. I play the tough person in public, but I'm not !
Sep 12, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2011
Barely human.
Sep 12, 2013 3:09 PM
May 2012
-Tyler- said:
Hell, I don't know.

Cried for like 2 hours while watching Clannad After Story.
Cried a shit-ton during iDOLM@STER.
Cried at the end of Angel Beats.

I tend to make decisions purely on emotion even when I don't necessarily want to. Also I took multiple personality tests, and I seem to be an ISFJ (which apparently 86.2% of people aren't):

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFJ.html

"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
9 seconds ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
50 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
2 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by R-unknown »»
4 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Today

23 by Rhaelynne »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.