Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 28, 2013 11:25 AM

FMA Brotherhood is awesome, but I won't consider it the BEST.

Nov 28, 2013 3:29 PM

To me, it IS the best anime of all time

Dec 2, 2013 9:19 AM

No, because it's not Inferno Cop.

But seriously, there's practically no way to determine what the 'best anime' would be, caus everyone'd have a different opinion. Is FMA:B the highest rated anime on MAL? Yep, at the moment. Is it generally considererd to be a very good anime? Well yeah. The best? Impossible to say.

Dec 12, 2013 11:59 AM

Conan_Kudo said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
I've only on episode 20 so far, but I really wouldn't place it in even the top 20 if I'm honest. It has entertained me at times, but I just feel the action, comedy and serious moments don't fit together very well. For example, many times the comedic moments (more in the first 10 - 15 episodes than in later ones as far as I can tell), were getting in the way of serious emotional moments. When I rate an anime I rate not only on the Sound, Art/Animation, Story, Characters, etc. But I rate it on how it makes me FEEL when it's finished. And so far FMAB is not making me feel for the characters as much as I think I should be. I know I haven't finished it yet so I'm not writing it off completely yet.

I think the reason it's ranked number 1 on this site is because it's a very accessible to a wide variety of people. It has a lot of action, which appeals to a lot of people. It has comedy (although arguably most of the time it's not that funny). I think more people rated it a 10/10 because there's not much controversial about it. It's just a typical shonen series with a plot that (to me at least) doesn't seem that special. The characters aren't anything special either. In fact I'd go so far to say that it's a little too immature for me. Maybe that says something about the maturity level of people on MAL?

I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would rate FMAB higher than Naruto?? The only reason Naruto needs to be bashed is because of the fillers. And if you ignore them it's pretty near perfect. It should be rated in at least top 10. It has awesome action, training, intelligent fights, and the main character is very likeable. Much more so than Edwin Elric. He never ever gives up on his dreams, he works incredibly hard for his dreams, and you can follow his struggle throughout the series. In episodes 1 - 64 of Naruto you can find more character development than in the whole of FMAB. Yet I see the reviews on MAL of Naruto and it just makes me sad... Ranked 839th?!?! Really? If you go on http://www.animefreak.tv/ and look at the most popular anime - Naruto Shippuden. Most people even consider Naruto to be better than Shippuden. So how come it's ranked so low on here? I honestly don't understand it. The reviews of it are saying it's "typical shonen characters and story". What? O.o And yet you all think FMAB is the best damn thing since sliced bread. You all make me sick!

Finish the series before you make any sort of judgment on the story and character development. Comparing 64 episodes of one series to only 20 episodes of a series you haven't completed is irrational. You can't judge anything as a whole when you are only at episode 20. Also, your assumptions of why people love this anime is wrong.

Yeah ok I was kinda wrong. It got a lot better afterwards and I loved the series after finishing it! Still only gave it 9/10 cause of the immature humour, but luckily that died down later on :)

Dec 12, 2013 4:08 PM

Best of what? How can you even compare a master seinen-anime and a master shounen-anime? The only thing that is certain is that FMAB is certainly one of the best and most complex shounen out there. Just this.

Dec 13, 2013 10:18 PM
Akanezora said:
The only thing that is certain is that FMAB is certainly one of the best and most complex shounen out there. Just this.

Agreed! In addition, I'd like to add that it's also the most consistent shonen out there when it comes to enjoyment. Honestly, I don't remember being bored by a single FMAB episode (and it deserves mad props for that).

May 4, 2015 8:05 AM
Well on my mind best anime for now is tokyo ghoul there is alot of anime are very good but this is my best for now and i start hating naruto which only filr fck dat studio rly

May 21, 2015 2:10 PM

FMAB is maybe one of the most popular anime but it is definitely not the best ever. I mean it was really boring mid way and at the begining, and an anime that deserve the title "best anime" is suppose to be more exciting. The ranking just point at FMAB popularity, that can be explained by the fact that there are a lot of people who watched this in their childhood, and also there is the fact that it was dubbed and boardcast in different states. For example, where I live, FMA or FMAB were never among the anime that were dubbed and broadcast, so here they were never really popular. There is also the fact that there are a lot of noobs who haven't watched many anime, but watched FMAB, so for them it is one of the best if not the best.

May 21, 2015 6:24 PM
salchicha said:
Granted, it was a great and enjoyable anime, but for it to be number one rated here, that would generally mean the majority of people consider it the single greatest anime ever made. Aside from that, what are your thoughts? I have rewatched this series twice now without tiring, but still cannot see it as the best anime of all time like the world does.
oh trust me
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is the best series of all time

May 23, 2015 6:19 PM
I also recently finished it. To me, the show seems to have a pretty universal appeal.

Simply because of the overall narrative. Despite not liking most of the characters, I was still emotionally gratified by the narrative. Especially near the end, with it's great conclusion.

I think this is what most Shounens lack. It completely breaks the immersion, when you have a show that's over 100 episodes long. It's just too difficult to keep the average viewer interested enough, in a show that focuses mostly on fighting.

If you don't have anything else, like decently written characters or a good narrative, it's all bound to crumble at some point.

Forgive me for this massive incoming pun... But most Shounen anime just lack an equivalent exchange.

If they sacrificed most of the fighting, for a more character-driven tale, I would perhaps enjoy them more. Sadly they don't. And this is where FMA:B breaks the mold.

It might not be the best anime or whatever, but it certainly qualifies as a show with a universal appeal. And that's the reason, I guess, that it's so popular on MAL.
Modified by SchwartZero, May 23, 2015 6:22 PM

May 25, 2015 10:37 PM

Its one of the best series of all time.

May 25, 2015 10:41 PM

imo Fma was better.

May 26, 2015 4:29 PM

It would have been the best for me if it retained the character art from the first FMA anime. Brotherhood's character art didn't felt as badass as the first one.

May 27, 2015 10:05 PM
In my opinion, it is so widely acclaimed for how it conveys what it was trying to say in relatively immature shonen genre which is hard to have any message at all or loses it due to excruciatingly long run. The show is centered much on getting the answer of "What makes human great?" And expresses that quite well blending it into battle based shonen. Mustang's ideals, the growth Edward had to go through, Ling's ideals, Scar's back story, Hohenheim's back story all come together as a testimony to what makes humans so great despite its weakness and imperfection. And despite being a quite long series, the show doesn't lose its focus and makes use of manh elements shown earlier later in the series making it more look like a complete one. Considering all this, I would say FMAB is definitely one of the kind. Definitely one of the greates but to be THE greatest? I think that boils down to personal preference. But I consider it one of the shows that deserves it. As long as the NO.1 doesn't go to some shitty shows that is popular nonetheless I am perfectly okay with it.

Jun 4, 2015 1:15 PM

Hell no. Not even close. And yes, if you speaking about shounen - it is really nice show, but it is good, because this genre is a crap in general, so... This is not hard to achieve .
6/10 from me. Last 8 eps were good, but rest? Pffffff. Boring episodic crap about nothing, with super stupid humour which is destroying every single episode till ep ~50.
I don't know why it is so hyped.
I understand Steins Gate hype and popularity - this show is just great and deserves top 10, but FMA? Hell NO.
Characters? Just another schematic shounen standards. The only one nice character is that little China girl.
Modified by rsc-pl, Jun 4, 2015 1:19 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.

Jun 4, 2015 3:28 PM

^ I agree with you about the so-called "comedy" in this anime, it makes me cringe hard. But what do you mean "shounen" is a crap genre? First of all, shounen is a demographic not a genre. Second of all, Nisekoi (your avatar pic) is considered shounen. Third of all, if you mean -battle shounen- which includes young boys fighting to save the world, then it's a different story, but battle shounen like HxH are good and you should give them a go.

Jun 5, 2015 3:38 AM
rsc-pl said:
Hell no. Not even close. And yes, if you speaking about shounen - it is really nice show, but it is good, because this genre is a crap in general, so... This is not hard to achieve .
6/10 from me. Last 8 eps were good, but rest? Pffffff. Boring episodic crap about nothing, with super stupid humour which is destroying every single episode till ep ~50.
I don't know why it is so hyped.
I understand Steins Gate hype and popularity - this show is just great and deserves top 10, but FMA? Hell NO.
Characters? Just another schematic shounen standards. The only one nice character is that little China girl.

Okay.. I think that was being a little bit too harsh on fmab really... Although chaaracters may seem generic, it clearly had its definitive goals and therefore seemed realistic. There were no characters that were used only for main character's convenience.. All had it unique characteristic and goals that quite blended into the show well. Actually, Mei Chang who you mentioned, I would consider her underdeveloped character. Her crush on Al came from nowhere and really, to be fair, she had to take Envy to her country when given chance.
Many of the loose ends were so well neatly tied up at the end, making the watcher feel like they just received a neatly wrapped present, and as I said before it sticks to what it wants to say till the very end of the story. Considering so many ecchi shows or harem genre that has absolutely NO Point at all besides jerking off or many battle centric anime that fails to show anything but battle, it did great job in making the show complete and delievered and solid message.
Humor... i think that is the one that is brought down to persinal preference. While I do agree some gag scenes seemed out of place, after very 15episodes or so, I have felt it not really annoying. But still, I think humor is the point that could be decided on personal preference.
But still "boring crap about nothing" shows that you never got what it is trying to say and didn't get to enjoy fully on the point, or how the intricate plotlines goes together to come together logically like a puzzle.
Well.. That's too bad for you. Missing out the brilliance of the anime. While it can be argued whether it is greatest, it is hard to argue that it is one hell of a show that is top notch and is on competition with many other brilliant shows out there.
Modified by eunjk327, Jun 5, 2015 3:42 AM

Jun 5, 2015 7:22 PM

THE BEST? no not for me personally. However, I do consider it a "complete" show as it can make you happy, sad, bored, on the edge of your seat,...etc. it also did a great job attaching me to a lot of characters (not the main ones though). But I think it just lacks that special something that would have really made it the best in my books. Maybe cause it was too predictable in some aspects and didn't deliver many plot twists, which is something I consider really important when it comes to judging an anime. It does, however, deserve 90% of the hype it gets
Modified by Raz1515, Jun 5, 2015 7:27 PM

Jun 7, 2015 5:22 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQzPhkEtng

Aftr watch tis. U will knw fo

Jun 7, 2015 1:55 PM

I have only liked two animes adapted from a shounen manga where I enjoyed all the episodes:

Kekkaishi and Nyan Koi.

I just never cared for FMA / FMAB or its characters and their situation. When I watched this anime, I just found myself looking around my room and not caring.
Modified by ooo333, Jun 7, 2015 1:59 PM

Jun 8, 2015 1:52 AM
Nah, to me, that's kinda impossible. I mean personally, it's my all time favorite show, but I would never say it's the best anime ever. It's just that the fanbase for fma is so passionate that you'll only really hear the positives. That is why brotherhood is rated the highest right now. And that doesn't really leaves any room for debate. Really, it's all open to opinion.

Jun 8, 2015 2:16 AM

Is this even a question, obviously it is.

Jun 8, 2015 2:31 AM

Depends on the person.

Personally I would consider FMA:B one of the best animes of all time, but perhaps not the single best. Everything about it was pretty great, dunno about the people who complain about the midway part but I liked most of the episodes, I was constantly hooked to it. Especially the final episodes when it was an all out war was so emotional and epic too.

Jun 13, 2015 6:07 AM

I don't think so. I enjoyed it but I think in the same genre Hunter x Hunter is much better.
However, the majority thinks that FMA: Brotherhood is the best so I guess it is..

Credits to MAND4Drawings

Jun 13, 2015 6:08 AM

Yes, I think someone proved it mathematically and scientifically.

Jun 13, 2015 8:16 AM

(not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but whatever)
I have not watched or read anything related to FMA.
If I want to watch the anime, do I watch FMA first, then FMA:B? Or watch only one of them? (which one would you recommend?)

Jun 13, 2015 8:23 AM

Bbaass_TMH said:
(not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but whatever)
I have not watched or read anything related to FMA.
If I want to watch the anime, do I watch FMA first, then FMA:B? Or watch only one of them? (which one would you recommend?)
You're not sure if asking which one you should watch first is related to if the series is the best anime of all time? It's obviously not. And your question is a very common one, it has been asked many times already on this anime's board and FMA's board. One thread with 60+ replies on the same page as this thread.

Jun 13, 2015 8:29 AM

Apperantly I'm blind, cause I didn't that thread earlier. >.<

Jun 14, 2015 5:38 PM

Nah. It's pretty good stuff, but definitely not "da best thing evar".

Jun 15, 2015 5:16 PM

Yeah, it's truly the best! I can't imagine finding a better anime than FMA: Brotherhood!

Jun 15, 2015 5:21 PM

I think that if not the best it's one of the best:

great plot
it has comedy, drama, action,...a bit of almost everything without overdoing it
great characters and character development
it's a long-running anime but also does not overdo it.
animation sequences are well done + art + scenario

overall it's really balanced
絶対大丈夫だよ

Jun 15, 2015 7:29 PM

Lain_ said:
it has comedy, drama, action,...a bit of almost everything without overdoing it

Some would beg to differ on the comedy.
Modified by AltoRoark, Jun 15, 2015 7:43 PM
>>Petition for a legal reform for the law regarding sexual violence in Japan<<

http://chng.it/tXTbL2yJgG

Jun 15, 2015 7:35 PM

Yes, it shares that spot with the rest of the Holy Quintet though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Jun 17, 2015 6:20 PM
Finished the anime just now and well... The comedy was pretty weak. The story was pretty unique, but personally I think Edward was overshadowed by other more interesting characters. He 'just happened' to be the one who finished the villain.

Good anime? Sure.
Best...?
No... just no.
If truly best anime really existed anime industry would die - you cant make something better than best.

Also - MAL ratings are pretty random. FMA Brotherhood's score means it doesn't have many hates that give it 1 just to lower it's ranking.

Jun 18, 2015 12:55 AM

Well, it's really up to the individual on what's the best anime for THEM and not other people. Everyone has different tastes, like the anime's comedy, for example. While some people like me enjoy the comedy in FMAB, others are annoyed by the childishness and pointless comedy scenes in the show. I liked it because for a dark show like this, it definitely needed some comedy for the teenager duo.

Rankings don't really signify which anime is the best. It just points out the most enjoyable/and or the most mainstream one out there.

Usomochi said:

Also - MAL ratings are pretty random. FMA Brotherhood's score means it doesn't have many hates that give it 1 just to lower it's ranking.

Not sure what you mean by random, but I'll say that a lot of people rate anime solely based on entertainment.

Jun 27, 2015 11:45 PM

From the OP's to the ED's along with the plot characters and unique story it is the best though there are others you might like. Here in MAL However its ranked 1 so there's no denying that it is the best judging by its ratings here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 9, 2015 12:40 PM

Everyone has a opinion, you can't say it's the best anime even doe it's no 1 on mal. I myself loved it, and must put it in my top 3 animes, it was brilliant imo, but everyone has different opinion. If you are going to look by the MAL rating then it's the best lel.

When life gives you anime, make Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood out of it... topkek.

Jul 10, 2015 6:53 AM

Yes, it is objectively the greatest anime to ever be produced.

I say this with as much optimism as a human can possibly muster: it will take a miracle of par with Moses splitting the sea for there to ever be an anime that surpasses FMAB.

Jul 14, 2015 11:30 PM
ziggy_Z said:
Yes, it is objectively the greatest anime to ever be produced.

I say this with as much optimism as a human can possibly muster: it will take a miracle of par with Moses splitting the sea for there to ever be an anime that surpasses FMAB.
ever so eloquently said

Jul 14, 2015 11:32 PM

Nah

Jul 14, 2015 11:32 PM

Saying it' the best is subjective, everyone has different tastes.

Jul 14, 2015 11:52 PM
Ya see, it's not really about ratings or a score opinions or even the popularity. FmaB is utterly and completely flawless in terms of what it takes to make a good anime. It has everything and as for the comedy, whether it's your type or not its comedy would still be comedy by DEFFINITION and it has it. Besides I think some of you get kinda bootyhurt over the childish-antics type comedy in it that the underlined cleaver comedy of the older generation in the show flys a little over your heads. But besides that, the way they tweaked the actual reality of alchemy and the philosophers stone with their universal laws of equivalent exchange, and Then pieced a story like THAT together. the story touches home here in America ever so bluntly. If my country were in an anime it'd be amestris, that or Britannia from code geass. But that just some personal shit thrown in. hands down fmaB is by animetical fact the best anime ytd and years to come. With its originality and surreal sifi. Nothing comes close. Me thinks it's its realism that makes it stand abover the rest. Ultimately It's all just science....with a twist ;)

Jul 18, 2015 6:43 AM

My best was FMA:B for a looong time but then i watched steins;gate and oh...what can i say.Its the best anime ever.

Sep 5, 2015 5:45 AM
I was skeptical first so I marathoned it, and now I'm 100% agree.

Sep 7, 2015 4:41 AM

no , it is actually the most overrated anime of all time
it is high rated because a lot of teens love it and give it 10

no offence to FMA fans but this anime is not even the best shounen
for example hunter x hunter is a better shounen

Sep 7, 2015 4:45 AM

Klassical said:

Keep deluding yourself with that ;3

Sep 7, 2015 5:43 AM

ziggy_Z said:
Klassical said:

Keep deluding yourself with that ;3

thats not deluding
actually this is a very logical reason for the so many 10's for this anime
it is targeted to the teenagers audience, you can figure this out from many things
1- shounen
2- main character (childish)
3- story
4-battles
5- so called science "alchemy"
6-comedy ( i think it has the worst humor of all time )

anyway im not here to convince anyone to change their opinion
this anime has a huge fan base.
for me , i dont agree with the majority on this one, and i dont have to agree to look that" i have a good taste in anime "

the problem is : you watch this anime based on the hype , you think that it must be the greatest ever or at least one of the greatest animes , unfortunately as i tried to love this anime it was overrated and i was disappointed.

still a good and entertaining anime .

Sep 7, 2015 10:52 AM

Why am I getting more bored, it's not No.1 in popularity so(#4) - not best, maybe plot is fine, but there's No intresting dialogues/ characters & effective battels for me - sorry guys.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Sep 7, 2015 12:39 PM

it's one of the really good animes out there, but whether it's best or not depends solely from personal taste

clickable▲

Oct 16, 2015 6:43 AM
Calling fullmetal alchemist brotherhood the best anime of all time is an understatement, calling it the best tv show of all time is an understatement (but true,) heck even calling it the best thing ever made is an understatement. It is God speaking to us through media! Hahaha, but yeah it is the best tv series of all time (including anime.)

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »