Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sep 9, 2013 4:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 10039
johnyjohny said:
No. Either Cowboy bebop, Evangelion or Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi is (and not even just because i rated them high) . But if we are talking about the 20's i think it is. It sure is a classic.


"Cowboy Bebop"

AHAHAHA HAH AH AHH AHAH HAH AHAHAHAHAHHAH AOH OO HOO HO O HO AHSH AH AHA SDASLKSDPLKFJ LKF .

Before mods remove this message, let me rewrite.


AHAHAAHAAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHA OMFG JUST NO.
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2091
samishime said:
Mokkan said:
No Saki is the best anime of all time.

OP has shit taste.


besides the Saki part.


Aww isad
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
FMA Brotherhood is a really great show. Probably a 9.5. Can't compare to Sword Art Online, Angel Beats and Clannad After Story though. SAO is probably something like 9.9, AB is 9.8 and Clannad AS is simply the best 10.
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1226
NeoGenesisKirito said:
FMA Brotherhood is a really great show. Probably a 9.5. Can't compare to Sword Art Online, Angel Beats and Clannad After Story though. SAO is probably something like 9.9, AB is 9.8 and Clannad AS is simply the best 10.

Stop with the damn decimals.
получить деньги моего друга
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1530
Man going through this thread shows me how shitty the tastes on MAL are.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 70
one of the best...yes
MAL user's proved that...
it's even the top 3 on the manga side...:D

but that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone,
since everyone have their own preference,
this thread will be just full of yes, no, this is the best, no that is the best...:D
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 10039
yes
 
Sep 9, 2013 4:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2091
Is Naruto really the best anime of all time?

lupadim said:
yes
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
 
Sep 9, 2013 5:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2088
miehlfin13 said:
one of the best...yes
MAL user's proved that...
it's even the top 3 on the manga side...:D

but that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone,
since everyone have their own preference,
this thread will be just full of yes, no, this is the best, no that is the best...:D

It's impossible and it has proven impossible to please everyone but there is just one way to call something "the best" -> democracy.
Out of 240k people most of them rated it high so you cant say all 240k were all stupid .
It's like at elections when a majority decides the president , you can say all yes and no but the proof , that is popular AND good , is there .
Dont give me phylosophy crap because I aint buy it , you know very well that thats how things work on almost everything that it isnt a sport.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
 
Sep 9, 2013 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2704
I've only seen a few miscellaneous episodes but without a doubt I can say yes, yes it is.
 
Sep 9, 2013 5:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3378
In MAL it's considered the best anime but there's so many other people who don't even have MAL. I don't think it would be the best anime of all time, but ONE of the best anime's out there.
 
Sep 9, 2013 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2117
Brotherhood isn't even a good anime. It's shallow shounen schlock with high production values; the Michael Bay Transformers movie of the animeverse. It does a grave disservice to the franchise by overshadowing its much superior predecessor. The consensus opinion is not some holy grail of truth and it shouldn't be taken so seriously. Just like my opinion, which I'm sure is quickly accumulating a high probability of invoking butthurt response. Thankfully I believe I have been preparing a new future gadget to deal with this... Oh wait--nope--the formula sheet I've written down here shows that the end result of my endeavor is achieved by dividing the last numerator by how many fucks I give, which is impossible to calculate since the denominator would be zero. Hmmm... Damn, back to the drawing board I suppose...
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
 
Sep 9, 2013 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 47435
So, I've watched the 2003 version and I got into it for a while when I was younger. I was thinking about grinding through Brotherhood when I had the time so I checked out this thread... All I can say is, dayum, so many mixed feelings from everyone :(

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 121
I was surprised to see that FMA B was the top rated anime on here. I mean it was really good, and a lot better than FMA, but still...
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5184
I wouldn't say it's the best anime of all time, but it's pretty damn good though.
Modified by Cabron, Sep 9, 2013 7:13 PM
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

 
Sep 9, 2013 7:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 957
Definitely not the best, but definitely one of the better anime out there.
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
MiniSiets said:
Brotherhood isn't even a good anime. It's shallow shounen schlock with high production values; the Michael Bay Transformers movie of the animeverse. It does a grave disservice to the franchise by overshadowing its much superior predecessor. The consensus opinion is not some holy grail of truth and it shouldn't be taken so seriously. Just like my opinion, which I'm sure is quickly accumulating a high probability of invoking butthurt response. Thankfully I believe I have been preparing a new future gadget to deal with this... Oh wait--nope--the formula sheet I've written down here shows that the end result of my endeavor is achieved by dividing the last numerator by how many fucks I give, which is impossible to calculate since the denominator would be zero. Hmmm... Damn, back to the drawing board I suppose...


Well, I am not going to give a butthurt response. I personally find Brotherhood to be the better of the two. I doesn't mean I hate the first series though. In fact, it was got me into FMA and I am still til this day thoroughly enjoy it but I wouldn't completely disregard Brotherhood. Either way I will always enjoy the original manga but I like both anime adaptation. It is okay for you to have your opinion though.
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 419
mayukachan said:
So, I've watched the 2003 version and I got into it for a while when I was younger. I was thinking about grinding through Brotherhood when I had the time so I checked out this thread... All I can say is, dayum, so many mixed feelings from everyone :(
Do it, FMAB is better than the 2003 version.
This "new era" they talk about is a load of shit. The age where pirates dream is over!? THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?! — Marshall D. Teach
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 7753
Not as long as Gurren Lagann exists.
 
Sep 9, 2013 7:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 47435
Introverturtled said:
mayukachan said:
So, I've watched the 2003 version and I got into it for a while when I was younger. I was thinking about grinding through Brotherhood when I had the time so I checked out this thread... All I can say is, dayum, so many mixed feelings from everyone :(
Do it, FMAB is better than the 2003 version.

Yep, planning to since last month. Hopefully I can find three full days to marathon through 64 episodes. LOL

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6008
/inbeforelock

(looks at list)
I gave it 2/10 (dropped)
I guess I didn't like it. (I saw enough on adult swim to have zero interest in watching it)

To answer the OP's question: "no"
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1422
I'm only about a third of the way through and so far I'm finding it pretty great. I certainly wouldn't call it the greatest anime of all time, but I still have like 40+ episodes to go, so who knows.
Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it state that Humpty is an egg.
"See you later, space cowboy." -moot 1/23/2015
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1308
The best of FMA is the yaoi doujinshi between Edward and Mustang. <3
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.


 
Sep 9, 2013 9:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5217
No. No it isn't. It's number 1 because it fits within the shallow tastes of the average MAL user whilst not actually being complete shit like everything else they typically enjoy.

It's a good anime. It really is. But what separates it from being truly great is that , for better or worse, the show just sticks to what it knows for the entire 64 episodes. Sure it's a good crowd pleaser, but it's nothing special.

FMA 2003 is far more interesting and ambitious but loses the widespread appeal of Brotherhood in the process. But it was the fantastic blend of traditional shonen conventions, hard hitting drama and mature themes that really won me over.

The ending may not have been perfect, but the bittersweet tone felt a lot more fitting than the ending of Brotherhood. Ed and Al go through a lot of hardships but I didn't feel that in Brotherhood. The last part of the show was too rushed and the conclusion itself felt way too contrived.

The reason why Brotherhood gets the top spot while shows that attract the same people like Naruto and SAO get pushed down lower is because... it's good. There's not nearly as many bad things you can say about it. Being different isn't always a good thing (See Abortion no Hana) but for me personally I prefer a well written show that breaks the mould over a well written show that goes on a straight path.
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 234
The best? There is none, everyone will have different tastes.

It's highest ranked because it appeals to the largest audience while also being well written, entertaining and reasonably difficult to find large flaws to criticize. I've shown many friends fma and while it didn't become a favourite for anyone, it was one that everyone loved

edit: pretty much tl;dr this^^^
Full time redditor and fedora owner, gg
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1301
Its not enough good to be 1st.
 
Sep 9, 2013 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2117
SaberKurisu said:
No. No it isn't. It's number 1 because it fits within the shallow tastes of the average MAL user whilst not actually being complete shit like everything else they typically enjoy.

It's a good anime. It really is. But what separates it from being truly great is that , for better or worse, the show just sticks to what it knows for the entire 64 episodes. Sure it's a good crowd pleaser, but it's nothing special.

FMA 2003 is far more interesting and ambitious but loses the widespread appeal of Brotherhood in the process. But it was the fantastic blend of traditional shonen conventions, hard hitting drama and mature themes that really won me over.

The ending may not have been perfect, but the bittersweet tone felt a lot more fitting than the ending of Brotherhood. Ed and Al go through a lot of hardships but I didn't feel that in Brotherhood. The last part of the show was too rushed and the conclusion itself felt way too contrived.

The reason why Brotherhood gets the top spot while shows that attract the same people like Naruto and SAO get pushed down lower is because... it's good. There's not nearly as many bad things you can say about it. Being different isn't always a good thing (See Abortion no Hana) but for me personally I prefer a well written show that breaks the mould over a well written show that goes on a straight path.

Finally someone is speaking a language I understand. Wha... what's... this? I believe I have a milliliter of dihydrogen monoxide formulating underneath my iris, likely resulting from how eloquent and accurate I find this post. T.T
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
 
Sep 9, 2013 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 788
If you haven't watched the full thing you can't judge it in my opinion you have to watch the full thing to realize why its #1
 
Sep 9, 2013 10:07 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1379
Perfect example of how anime should be done. Some people like the 2003 version more because I guess it was "realistic" compared to Brotherhood in terms of plot and the events (excluding the alchemy parts).
 
Sep 9, 2013 10:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 637
Yes. It is.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
 
Sep 10, 2013 2:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 4266
So many responses in two days...time to get mine in.

It depends on what you mean by best. Currently it's the highest rated on MAL, but does that mean it's best? Once I give a show a 10, I'm saying it's a masterpiece. That takes it out of the realm of comparisons. Is Michelangelo's David better than Leonardo's Mona Lisa? Is Stravinsky's Rites of Spring better than Casablanca? Let's just say that it is very very good indeed and deserves to be considered one of the best. I don't think you will ever be able to choose a single best anime, but I guess it's fun to discuss considering how many of you have responded to a thread about an anime that is three years old...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

 
Sep 10, 2013 2:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3838
Cowboy Bebop is my favorite then Gintama then FMA: Brotherhood.
 
Sep 10, 2013 3:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 9760
RT251 said:
Cowboy Bebop is my favorite then Gintama then FMA: Brotherhood.
Huh? when did i make this account?
..
 
Sep 10, 2013 10:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 3838
johnyjohny said:
RT251 said:
Cowboy Bebop is my favorite then Gintama then FMA: Brotherhood.
Huh? when did i make this account?


What do you mean?
 
Sep 10, 2013 11:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2117
He's saying that he agrees with you I think.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
 
Sep 12, 2013 3:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1066
MAL's top anime never lies.
 
Sep 13, 2013 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1802
I added extra stuff to my post now in a sort of roundabout way. It might be more interesting now. It's basically a bunch of speculative ideas about my own, and other anime watchers' tendencies.

If everyone on MAL would watch 1000 anime and be interested in a specific genre that isn't action/shonen (perhaps romance, school life drama, psychological, or seinen genre/audience oriented anime) ,FMAB wouldn't be the best anime for everyone. Some people like comedy, supernatural, maybe horror (like there are a lot of horror anime, but yeah...)

Plenty of people who watch even a lot of varied anime may find different or more mature genres to be more stimulating or satisfying than all the beautiful fights in FMA:B. The average person who has seen it has much less experience, and it's a great anime that MOST people will still enjoy despite their experience, but when you gauge success by anime newcomers, you get also stuff like Shingeki plaguing the top 10, which I don't think even belongs in the top 100, but that's another topic. Most of the top shows aim to be mainstream in some way, and by design, they will get most anime watcher, especially newer ones, to enjoy them. I say most because some are acclaimed but not as popular as other lower rated shows. Popularity isn't quite equal to rating, of course.


There's some psychological aspects to how people rate anime. Personally, I find there to be a lack of fully adapted romance stories in anime, and I'm biased towards them. Psychological thrillers and seinen anime always rank high on my list because of the lack of them.

Action doesn't get me too excited anymore compared to when I was growing up and finished FMAB when I was 15. FMAB was one of my first anime, so I'm interested to see how I'll view it when I rewatch it. I have been getting hyped for stuff like HxH and Ippo again, and it may just be that I hadn't been watching good action anime for a while. There may be a more vocal, older audience on any given forum discussion of something
like FMAB.

There's are also people like me who begin to underrate shows after a while of not having seen them, and don't want to spend time rewatching the show to reaffirm how good they feel the show is.
Plenty of people also decide not to like a series once they feel it is overrated.

Personally, I think the top shows feel pretty theatrical and well directed, the kind of anime that would do nicely in movie theaters (ignoring the length, I guess) and are great to show to impress people who aren't into anime.

There will always be a prevalent audience who will praise less popular shows due to either their personal experience in regards to what they enjoy vs. what someone else enjoys, or as a righteous attempt to raise awareness of a less popular series.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a series like FMAB being made. It's a full adaptation of a manga, which puts it above a LOT of incomplete adaptations in my mind.

I'm worried about the anime industry not getting enough complete adaptations, let alone adaptations of seinen material that I often love. There's plenty of shonen, action, romcom (harems) out there, but I think people may subconsciously share the worry of their own genre's declining prevalence in anime nowadays, and this may be another factor to why people won't continue to praise the top anime.

tldr; People have different tastes, experiences, etc.
Modified by Vladz0r, Sep 13, 2013 7:39 AM
 
Sep 13, 2013 7:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
No not really. I don't think it should be even considered in the top 100 anime of all time, but hey people have different tastes that doesn't harm or affect me in anyway so it's hard to care too much.
 
Oct 17, 2013 6:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 118
It's one of the most enjoyable series I've ever watched.
Number one of all time is up for debate though but you can't deny the fact it was an incredible ride from beginning to end during its television run.
 
Nov 26, 2013 12:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
I've only on episode 20 so far, but I really wouldn't place it in even the top 20 if I'm honest. It has entertained me at times, but I just feel the action, comedy and serious moments don't fit together very well. For example, many times the comedic moments (more in the first 10 - 15 episodes than in later ones as far as I can tell), were getting in the way of serious emotional moments. When I rate an anime I rate not only on the Sound, Art/Animation, Story, Characters, etc. But I rate it on how it makes me FEEL when it's finished. And so far FMAB is not making me feel for the characters as much as I think I should be. I know I haven't finished it yet so I'm not writing it off completely yet.

I think the reason it's ranked number 1 on this site is because it's a very accessible to a wide variety of people. It has a lot of action, which appeals to a lot of people. It has comedy (although arguably most of the time it's not that funny). I think more people rated it a 10/10 because there's not much controversial about it. It's just a typical shonen series with a plot that (to me at least) doesn't seem that special. The characters aren't anything special either. In fact I'd go so far to say that it's a little too immature for me. Maybe that says something about the maturity level of people on MAL?

I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would rate FMAB higher than Naruto?? The only reason Naruto needs to be bashed is because of the fillers. And if you ignore them it's pretty near perfect. It should be rated in at least top 10. It has awesome action, training, intelligent fights, and the main character is very likeable. Much more so than Edwin Elric. He never ever gives up on his dreams, he works incredibly hard for his dreams, and you can follow his struggle throughout the series. In episodes 1 - 64 of Naruto you can find more character development than in the whole of FMAB. Yet I see the reviews on MAL of Naruto and it just makes me sad... Ranked 839th?!?! Really? If you go on http://www.animefreak.tv/ and look at the most popular anime - Naruto Shippuden. Most people even consider Naruto to be better than Shippuden. So how come it's ranked so low on here? I honestly don't understand it. The reviews of it are saying it's "typical shonen characters and story". What? O.o And yet you all think FMAB is the best damn thing since sliced bread. You all make me sick!
 
Nov 26, 2013 7:34 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 223
rasenshiruken973 said:
I've only on episode 20 so far, but I really wouldn't place it in even the top 20 if I'm honest. It has entertained me at times, but I just feel the action, comedy and serious moments don't fit together very well. For example, many times the comedic moments (more in the first 10 - 15 episodes than in later ones as far as I can tell), were getting in the way of serious emotional moments. When I rate an anime I rate not only on the Sound, Art/Animation, Story, Characters, etc. But I rate it on how it makes me FEEL when it's finished. And so far FMAB is not making me feel for the characters as much as I think I should be. I know I haven't finished it yet so I'm not writing it off completely yet.

I think the reason it's ranked number 1 on this site is because it's a very accessible to a wide variety of people. It has a lot of action, which appeals to a lot of people. It has comedy (although arguably most of the time it's not that funny). I think more people rated it a 10/10 because there's not much controversial about it. It's just a typical shonen series with a plot that (to me at least) doesn't seem that special. The characters aren't anything special either. In fact I'd go so far to say that it's a little too immature for me. Maybe that says something about the maturity level of people on MAL?

I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would rate FMAB higher than Naruto?? The only reason Naruto needs to be bashed is because of the fillers. And if you ignore them it's pretty near perfect. It should be rated in at least top 10. It has awesome action, training, intelligent fights, and the main character is very likeable. Much more so than Edwin Elric. He never ever gives up on his dreams, he works incredibly hard for his dreams, and you can follow his struggle throughout the series. In episodes 1 - 64 of Naruto you can find more character development than in the whole of FMAB. Yet I see the reviews on MAL of Naruto and it just makes me sad... Ranked 839th?!?! Really? If you go on http://www.animefreak.tv/ and look at the most popular anime - Naruto Shippuden. Most people even consider Naruto to be better than Shippuden. So how come it's ranked so low on here? I honestly don't understand it. The reviews of it are saying it's "typical shonen characters and story". What? O.o And yet you all think FMAB is the best damn thing since sliced bread. You all make me sick!


Finish the series before you make any sort of judgment on the story and character development. Comparing 64 episodes of one series to only 20 episodes of a series you haven't completed is irrational. You can't judge anything as a whole when you are only at episode 20. Also, your assumptions of why people love this anime is wrong.
Modified by Conan_Kudo, Nov 26, 2013 7:50 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
 
Nov 26, 2013 7:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1205
It's definitely one of the best series of all time.

Whether it is actually the best is debatable. Personally, I don't think so.
 
Nov 27, 2013 3:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1093
As many people already stated, while it may not he be The Best, FMA:B can be easily - and even objectively - be considered one of the best anime ever. However, personally, I do think it absolutely deserves the top spot and that it is superior in every aspect.
I haven't read through all of the 8 pages in this thread, but I see that some people seem to dismiss the highest ranking of FMA:B either simply because 'MAL is dumb' or by concocting some alleged flaw that's obviously not valid at all (I'm not saying the series is flawless). While I definitely don't think MAL's ratings are the sole measure for an anime/manga's worth, you've got to wonder what piece of work it might be that makes the vast majority of the website agree on its superiority. Because FMA:B isn't simply rated high, like many anime riding on the hype of the season (see: SNK) that may come and go from the top rating, it's been over for years and has managed to retain the very top spot for some time and up to the present. So I think it's safe to say that it's genuinely valued anime, a classic, rather than something depending on 'hype' or seasonal excitement, and will continue to be so even when (or if) it drops down from #1.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

 
Nov 27, 2013 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 858
 
Nov 27, 2013 3:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
fullmetalbender said:
As many people already stated, while it may not he be The Best, FMA:B can be easily - and even objectively - be considered one of the best anime ever.

You don't know what ''objectively'' means then.
Modified by tsudecimo, Nov 27, 2013 3:52 AM
 
Nov 27, 2013 4:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1093
tsudecimo said:
fullmetalbender said:
As many people already stated, while it may not he be The Best, FMA:B can be easily - and even objectively - be considered one of the best anime ever.

You don't know what ''objectively'' means then.


I think I have a fair idea, since I clearly said 'one of the best'. And that is because I know and see plenty of anime fans discussing, rating, reviewing, and writing meta about the show and agreeing on this. You don't have to like it, subjectively speaking, but if you don't even acknowledge that FMA:B is, at least, a very good anime then we weren't even watching the same show.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

 
Nov 27, 2013 4:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
Are you joking?

Saying it's one of the best is subjective, saying it's good is subjective and saying it's bad is subjective. The only objective things are the summary, the information about the characters, the cost of productions, the attributes of the characters and other factual things relating to the show.

ob·jec·tive (b-jktv)
adj.
1. Of or having to do with a material object.
2. Having actual existence or reality.
3.
a. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices
b. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.

Objectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to reality and truth, which has been variously defined by sources. Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings. A proposition is generally considered objectively true (to have objective truth) when its truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"—that is, existing freely or independently from a mind (from the thoughts, feelings, ideas, etc. of a sentient subject).


And I doubt you will read the following but it might make you understand more
 
Nov 27, 2013 2:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1093
tsudecimo said:

Saying it's one of the best is subjective, saying it's good is subjective and saying it's bad is subjective. The only objective things are the summary, the information about the characters, the cost of productions, the attributes of the characters and other factual things relating to the show.

ob·jec·tive (b-jktv)
adj.
1. Of or having to do with a material object.
2. Having actual existence or reality.
3.
a. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices
b. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.

Things that come from a mind are subjective, because a SUBJECT is projecting them onto objects.
Like Values, Meaning, Purpose and Morals.


Ok, I get what you're saying, and in terms of the technical and completely correct use of the word, I guess I shouldn't use 'objective'. However, my intentions were to emphasise how the anime is widely regarded as one of the best and not just channelled by fan bias. Rather, it is genuinely deserving praise, all aspects considered (narrative, characterisation etc). Somewhat like classic literature, for instance, just because there will always be negative criticisms or people who dislike it doesn't means they'll be removed from their well-earned and established position as 'classics'.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

 
Nov 27, 2013 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 23524
One Piece is the best, no question about it, FMA Brotherhood is another masterpiece but I can't compare it with One Piece.
 
Nov 27, 2013 2:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2609
well in my opinion fma > fmab

its ok to not agree with others, if you don't think its the best anime of all time then its not to you
 
Top
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »