Forum Settings
Forums

So am I still considered an otaku despite...

New
Am I an otaku considering what I said below?
Sep 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
that I don't collect the figurines, manga, anime, and what not like all other otaku do? It's not that I don't want to but it costs hella money and I can be using that money for more practical stuff like gas money and on food. My attitude is I'm fine reading manga and watching anime online. I don't really see no need for me to get the DVD release of Kiss x sis or have the latest manga of K-on right away. I can wait...pretty much have to if your a college student who has to balance sports and academics which is not an easy thing to do by any means.....

*I do blast anime songs hella loud while driving so I guess that's one way I'm an otaku and that I live in the Bay Area
1L0can0Sep 8, 2013 12:20 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Dec 2009
No.
Sep 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Mar 2012
Yes
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Apr 2011
Nyos
Sep 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Jul 2012
By Japanese standards, unless you are dangerously obsessed with these things, you aren't an otaku. However some in the United States look at otaku as just a name of an anime fan, in which case, you are an otaku.
Sep 8, 2013 12:22 PM

Aug 2013
Being an Otaku or something of similar sort should never be measured by much Anime you watch or how much you own.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 8, 2013 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
Diranko said:
Being an Otaku or something of similar sort should never be measured by much Anime you watch or how much you own.

This.
Honestly, if you're such a huge anime fan, then you can dub yourself an otaku. It's measured by how much you like what it is you like.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 8, 2013 12:28 PM
Jul 2013
Not even near an Otaku! level,more of an Anime fan level.
Sep 8, 2013 12:36 PM

May 2009
Why do people take definitions like otaku so damn seriously? I mean does it really freaking matter?
Sep 8, 2013 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Once you watch anime you never go back. one of us one of us one of us
Sep 8, 2013 12:39 PM

Dec 2012
Hachiko75 said:
Why do people take definitions like otaku so damn seriously? I mean does it really freaking matter?

Some people are insecure of themselves.
Sep 8, 2013 12:40 PM
Mar 2013
Why would anyone want to be an weeaboo otaku?
Sep 8, 2013 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
Hachiko75 said:
Sep 8, 2013 12:41 PM

Jul 2012
Battlechili1 said:
By Japanese standards, unless you are dangerously obsessed with these things, you aren't an otaku. However some in the United States look at otaku as just a name of an anime fan, in which case, you are an otaku.

agreed
Sep 8, 2013 12:41 PM

Apr 2011
Like the others have said, does a label really matter? You're not supposed to watch anime for show or to get an achievement, so quit acting as if such a silly label matters.
Sep 8, 2013 12:44 PM

May 2013
It's what's in your heart that matters, my son.
Sep 8, 2013 12:45 PM
May 2012
JD2411 said:
Why would anyone want to be an weeaboo otaku?

I don't know.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Sep 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Feb 2012
Being an otaku is as easy as calling yourself one.
Sep 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Nov 2012
Would it make you happy, if you were considered an otaku? You are not btw.

Hachiko75 said:
Because the meaning of words and their proper use matters. How else are we supposed to communicate?
Sep 8, 2013 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
Well, how about going to otaku conventions? I don't want to go to my first otaku/anime convention and be called out that I don't love anime enough and for sure I ain't standing down if someone calls me out on my love for anime.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

Sep 8, 2013 12:49 PM

Apr 2011
1L0can0 said:
Well, how about going to otaku conventions? I don't want to go to my first otaku/anime convention and be called out that I don't love anime enough and for sure I ain't standing down if someone calls me out on my love for anime.

Like we said, why does it matter? Are you watching anime for recognition? If so, I'll advise you to stop.
Sep 8, 2013 12:53 PM

Jul 2013
no for enjoyment and to open my mind esp. when it comes to futuristic mecha anime.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 12:53 PM

Jul 2013
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:
Because the meaning of words and their proper use matters. How else are we supposed to communicate?
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:

Wouldn't make me happy or sad as a matter of fact. Originally I thought an otaku was like what somebody said already, an anime fan. I never knew there was a difference between an otaku and an anime fan before actually going in-depth on this site and watching more anime.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 12:55 PM

May 2009
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:

That makes no sense.
Sep 8, 2013 1:00 PM

Jul 2012
1L0can0 said:

Don't worry about that. You're fine. Enjoy yourself. If you like anime, that's all that matters there I think.
Sep 8, 2013 1:00 PM

Apr 2011
1L0can0 said:
no for enjoyment and to open my mind esp. when it comes to futuristic mecha anime.

Then, back to my question: Why does such a silly label matter, then?
Sep 8, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
Hachiko75 said:
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:

That makes no sense.

He means we need a label for everything otherwise we won't be able to identify what it is we're talking about.
Sep 8, 2013 1:02 PM

Jul 2013
yhunata said:
1L0can0 said:

Then, back to my question: Why does such a silly label matter, then?

Originally I thought an otaku was like what somebody said already, another way of saying anime fan.It's not the label of the word but the definition of what an otaku is that I'm trying to understand. I never knew there was a difference between an otaku and an anime fan before actually going in-depth on this site and watching more anime esp. lucky star.
1L0can0Sep 8, 2013 1:06 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
why does it freaking matter so much? If you have a passion for anime and manga then your a damn otaku. People need to stop overthinking it so much
Sep 8, 2013 1:13 PM

May 2009
IntervisioN said:
Hachiko75 said:
zoknimano said:

Hachiko75 said:

That makes no sense.

He means we need a label for everything otherwise we won't be able to identify what it is we're talking about.

You don't need to label a person an otaku to communicate with them. They like anime, that's pretty much plain and simple. The only name you need for them is the one they given at birth.
Sep 8, 2013 1:13 PM

Jul 2013
otome-sama360 said:
why does it freaking matter so much? If you have a passion for anime and manga then your a damn otaku. People need to stop overthinking it so much

Because I have a tendency to over-think alot of things. It's how I am, I'm not those type of people that blurts out the first thing that comes to their mind.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 1:14 PM
May 2012
otome-sama360 said:

You're*

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=otaku

I hope this helps.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Sep 8, 2013 1:39 PM

Jul 2013
Also I don't understand why there's so much hate for Patricia Martin on Lucky Star. Alot of people didn't like her because she was an American/Western otaku that it got to the point there was a song dedicated to her on youtube, I think it was called "We hate Patricia Martin" but it was taken down. I think we should consider the other side of the coin, I think Patricia Martin's devotion and unbridled passion for her interest should be something to be admired for, if at least respected by the rest of society. I think anime that focus on otaku subculture will shed light to those people who are ignorant and/or indignant of otaku.
1L0can0Sep 8, 2013 1:51 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 1:50 PM
Jul 2018
You're a true otaku only if you own a naruto headband.
Sep 8, 2013 1:52 PM

Nov 2011
TheAsap said:

The horrors of my high school life.
Watching a group of guys slapping on Naruto headbands and then doing Jitsu signs pretending to fight at lunch in front of everyone.
This is why bullying is a thing.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Jul 2013
TheAsap said:

So all western otaku should strive to be Patricia Martin from Lucky Star then?I'm pretty sure she has one....or ten.

https://archive.thedarkcave.org/foolfuuka/boards/c/image/1367/24/1367247420615.png
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 1:58 PM

Jul 2013
Ragix said:
TheAsap said:

Watching a group of guys slapping on Naruto headbands and then doing Jitsu signs pretending to fight at lunch in front of everyone.

Hey, I have friends who are like that. Nice bunch, haven't talked to them in a while though because of school.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2011
1L0can0 said:
Ragix said:
TheAsap said:

Hey, I have friends who are like that. Nice bunch, haven't talked to them in a while though because of school.

They can be a nice and wonderful bunch, but their is a fine line between what you should or shouldn't do.

I mean I do some pretty weird shit too, but that's on my own time.
Here's a pretty nice example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utnb5Mru_zo

As jumpy and loony the anime club was at my school, they tried to be energetic and representative enough to even want people who weren't into it check it out. This is just going overboard though, some may look at it in a positive light, but the majority, not so much.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 8, 2013 2:16 PM

Jul 2013
Ragix said:
1L0can0 said:
Ragix said:
TheAsap said:

They can be a nice and wonderful bunch, but their is a fine line between what you should or shouldn't do.

I mean I do some pretty weird shit too, but that's on my own time.
Here's a pretty nice example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utnb5Mru_zo

As jumpy and loony the anime club was at my school, they tried to be energetic and representative enough to even want people who weren't into it check it out. This is just going overboard though, some may look at it in a positive light, but the majority, not so much.

We had such a great anime club back in my high school but here where I'm going to college, we don't even have one. It looks like its up to me to start one.....maybe after I'm done with football....
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 8, 2013 2:45 PM

Jan 2011
1L0can0 said:

I think you are confusing otakus with arseholes here. Not to say that the two categories don't overlap at times.

Just call yourself an anime fan. There is no secret group of otaku masters who have to sit and consider whether you are worthy of the name (or if they exist they spend all their time on 4chan). If you fall in with a social group who call themselves otakus then do so. No one is going to come after you. Watch all the Genshiken series. Even though the original main characters might all be described as otaku-like, guess what? They grow older, some of them develop romantic relationships, they graduate, and they become a little less obsessive (or they start working in the industry and it becomes their job and all the manga, anime, and nendroids they've collected becomes work-related research materials--and possible tax write-offs).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 8, 2013 3:37 PM

May 2008
rodac said:
There is no secret group of otaku masters who have to sit and consider whether you are worthy of the name

Oi, just because you've never held a seat at MAL's round table of judgment...

Sep 8, 2013 3:39 PM

Jul 2012
imo you are an otaku if you think you are

the fact that you are even debating it is telling. seems like a mindset for you.

why are you even asking? does it not/not need to be part of your identity? seems like you feel pretty casual about stuff so I'm not sure where you are coming from
Sep 8, 2013 4:03 PM

Aug 2012
1L0can0 said:
*I do blast anime songs hella loud while driving so I guess that's one way I'm an otaku and that I live in the Bay Area

I lol'd.
Sep 8, 2013 4:36 PM

Jun 2011
1L0can0 said:
I never knew there was a difference between an otaku and an anime fan before actually going in-depth on this site and watching more anime esp. lucky star.

There isn't, stop overthinking it. The only difference is that otaku is a Japanese term, and therefore used more often by weeaboos.
Sep 8, 2013 7:05 PM

Aug 2013
...Irrelevant.

But the definition of otaku varies, so, yes and no and maybe.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 8, 2013 7:07 PM

Jun 2013
You're a wannabe otaku, the worst kind of human being.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 8, 2013 8:54 PM

Aug 2011
Generic opinion: If you are not a NEET obese, you are not otaku.

My opinion:
FlameWingman21 said:
It's what's in your heart that matters, my son.
Chong The Nomad sang:
Even if you're lost, you can't~ Lose the love because that's in your heart~ Hooo oo ooo ooo oo~

My DeviantArt
To keep your drawing sanity, click here.
Sep 8, 2013 9:48 PM

Jan 2009
Battlechili1 said:

i agree with this
Sep 8, 2013 10:46 PM

Jul 2013
Narmy said:
1L0can0 said:
I never knew there was a difference between an otaku and an anime fan before actually going in-depth on this site and watching more anime esp. lucky star.

There isn't, stop overthinking it. The only difference is that otaku is a Japanese term, and therefore used more often by weeaboos.

I also don't understand the hate for weeaboos on this site or in general really, rather paradoxical considering the name of this site is myanimelist. Why would you try to distance yourself to a fellow avid anime fan just like yourself?(A bit more extreme than most anime fans but nonetheless)
1L0can0Sep 8, 2013 10:55 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Sep 9, 2013 12:30 AM

Sep 2012
1L0can0 said:
Narmy said:
1L0can0 said:

I also don't understand the hate for weeaboos on this site or in general really, rather paradoxical considering the name of this site is myanimelist. Why would you try to distance yourself to a fellow avid anime fan just like yourself?(A bit more extreme than most anime fans but nonetheless)

Probably because being an otaku is considered an unhealthy obsessive behavior. If your an otaku/weaboo or consider yourself one people would assume you would isolate yourself and be odd(unable to fit in with any group locally cause your too much of an elitist). My idea of an otaku would be of someone who is alone/undesirable because they are too much of an elitist to find friends by conventional means as a result they would be mostly awkward and closed(not wanting a friend unless it's their favorite anime character ect).
Even users on Mal don't want to be that. Depending on where your located the meaning of otaku gets worse/better. In the US(where I'm from) kids think its cool while in japan it's considered bad/negative.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 15 minutes ago

1 by cody »»
10 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

307 by AverageRiceFan »»
31 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Yesterday

8 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 7 hours ago

7 by Kamikaze_404 »»
2 hours ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

12 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.