Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2009 12:41 PM

May 2008
otae_chan said:
Rurouni Kenshin

+ GTO.
Psyche_IzayaApr 4, 2009 10:32 AM
Apr 3, 2009 3:23 PM

Nov 2008
Evangelion, GTO, Slam Dunk.
Apr 3, 2009 5:11 PM

Jul 2008
NGE and Slayers. :D
Apr 4, 2009 12:46 AM

Oct 2007
Rurouni Kenshin
Sailor Moon
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
One Piece

Oct 29, 2009 5:24 PM

Feb 2009
From what I've seen the late 90's has some of the most memorable animes of all time, what was your favorite? Post-Evangelion pls
Oct 29, 2009 5:27 PM

Nov 2008
well, GTO started air in 1999 so I would go with GTO. or Slam dunk since it finished airing around the same time as Eva if that counts o.0
hi
Oct 29, 2009 5:31 PM

May 2009
Escaflowne
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Oct 29, 2009 5:39 PM

Aug 2009
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Escaflowne
Pokemon, first generation, or some of it.
Shizu_darkOct 29, 2009 7:38 PM
Oct 29, 2009 5:45 PM

Mar 2009
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Golden Boy
Pokemon (first season only, through indigo league)
Giant Robo
Oct 29, 2009 7:34 PM

Nov 2007
Escaflowne
008thms Gundam
Gundam Wing
Digimon Adventures
Outlaw Star
Slayers

'90s were good times anime-wise
Oct 29, 2009 7:53 PM

Feb 2008
Revolutionary Girl Utena has to be my favorite.
Oct 29, 2009 8:24 PM

Apr 2009
Serial Experiments Lain

Followed by The Big O, Boogiepop Phantom, and Kite.

Edit: And NGE.
MawootadOct 31, 2009 4:57 PM
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Oct 29, 2009 9:10 PM

Jul 2006
One Piece

Oct 29, 2009 9:37 PM

Nov 2007
Threads merged, and cleaned up the posts in the older one. I'd appreciate it if people gave reasons or something beyond simply stating a title, or as a listing thread it will go to spam.

Also, personally I think Hyper Police is the best of the 90s for its setting, characters and amusing story. Not to mention great production values (amazing cast and crew). However there are many excellent OVAs, as well. Too many to even start getting in to.
AsakoOct 29, 2009 9:49 PM
Oct 29, 2009 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Now and Then, Here and There.
One of my all times favourites.
Oct 29, 2009 9:47 PM

Sep 2008
It's hard to chose their are a ton of legendary anime that came out of the 90's that hasn't be equaled since, but we might all be biased cause probably 90% of the people on Mal grew up in the 90s and probably got into anime around then.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 29, 2009 10:01 PM
May 2008
Icab said:
Now and Then, Here and There.
One of my all times favourites.

Same here. NTHT is one of my all time favorites.
Oct 29, 2009 10:16 PM

Aug 2009
cowboy bebop
but evangelion is also awesome
Oct 29, 2009 10:18 PM

Mar 2009
mine has to be Rurouni Kenshin as soon as you get past the first 20 episodes it becomes amazing
Oct 31, 2009 2:20 PM

Jun 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion defined Anime in the 90's and was a revolution in and of itself, so I'm going to have to go with it. Easily the most 'important' anime of the 90's.
I'm back.
Oct 31, 2009 2:46 PM

Dec 2007
The best huh ~

Slam dunk
Samurai x (aka ruroni kenshin)

enjoy it wholeheartly :3
Oct 31, 2009 4:24 PM

Feb 2008
Without a doubt Neon Genesis Evangelion, followed closely by Revolutionary Girl Utena.
[fancy signature here]
Oct 31, 2009 4:27 PM

Jul 2008
trigun!

but I'm biased since it was my first anime. =)
Oct 31, 2009 4:51 PM

Sep 2008
I think NGE is given way to much credit. Everyone forgets NGE had alot of problems, a low budget shitty ending and one of the most despised protagonists.

If any anime that defined anime in the 90's it was Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the shell had brought anime to where it has never been before. It was ground breaking and it raised the bar for everything else. It was a masterpiece on so many levels. it's technical brilliance was only matched by it's intellect. It was the thinking man's anime. It was really a commentary on the 90's and as we where heading into the new millennium, what awaited us around the corner.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 31, 2009 5:32 PM

Apr 2009
Jigero said:
I think NGE is given way to much credit. Everyone forgets NGE had alot of problems, a low budget shitty ending and one of the most despised protagonists.

If any anime that defined anime in the 90's it was Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the shell had brought anime to where it has never been before. It was ground breaking and it raised the bar for everything else. It was a masterpiece on so many levels. it's technical brilliance was only matched by it's intellect. It was the thinking man's anime. It was really a commentary on the 90's and as we where heading into the new millennium, what awaited us around the corner.
It doesn't matter what problems Eva had, it's still quite possibly the most influential anime ever made.

Also, I think that you're giving Ghost in the Shell too much credit for originality: Akira, Armitage III, and Key the Metal Idol (probably plus some more that I can't remember) all did intelligent, psychological/philosophical cyberpunk before GitS and Memories: Magnetic Rose would do it again less than a month earlier. Of course, that really doesn't matter given that there's no such thing as a unique piece of art, but I would like to point that out.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Oct 31, 2009 5:42 PM

Aug 2009
Eva wasnt the most influential...

its...

dun dun dunnnn Pokemon xD
Oct 31, 2009 5:44 PM

Oct 2009
Serial Experiments Lain and Tenchi Muyo
Oct 31, 2009 6:07 PM

Feb 2005
Cowboy Bebop firstly, with GitS, NGE and Utena trailing behind.

I'd say LoGH too, but it didn't really belong to the nineties, even though it crossed through it.
Oct 31, 2009 6:31 PM

Nov 2008
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Outlaw Star
Oct 31, 2009 6:33 PM

Jan 2008
I'd say Oshii's Ghost in the Shell along with Takahata's Omohide Poro Poro with what I've seen of the 90's, but I haven't watched much stuff of this decade, I'm pretty sure Kare Kano, Turn A Gundam or Tsuioku-hen are amazing too
roquefortOct 31, 2009 6:47 PM
Oct 31, 2009 7:08 PM
Jun 2009
NGE
Oct 31, 2009 7:15 PM

Aug 2008
Topo wo Nerae! is '88 and '89, really too close, so I'm listing it. BTW it was the influence for NGE, so there.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Oct 31, 2009 7:15 PM

Apr 2008
I havent seen that many, but for me its definitely Rurouni Kenshin.

it was the first DVD box set that i bought as well. <3

Oct 31, 2009 9:01 PM

Jun 2008
Sick_Bastard said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion defined Anime in the 90's and was a revolution in and of itself, so I'm going to have to go with it. Easily the most 'important' anime of the 90's.
Let's see... after some quick research due to boredom, it seems Evangelion was the first, at least in terms of success and popularity, to greatly impact/innovate the mecha genre in the 90s. Before mecha was mainly just consisted of blocky Gundams, now there's slick, fast, humanized robots; evidently giving birth to many of the mecha series of today. Another aspect is the psychological genre which seem to influence shows later like Lain and Utena.

GitS seem to have influenced the making of Matrix, a great feat by itself, and probably many more indirect influences. Cowboy Bebop is simply just one of the best episodic series to be made, still even thought of today. Pokemon/Dragonball no doubt for influencing possibly many viewers to actually get into anime. All great in their own rights.
Oct 31, 2009 11:10 PM

Sep 2008
Mawootad said:
Jigero said:

It doesn't matter what problems Eva had, it's still quite possibly the most influential anime ever made.

Also, I think that you're giving Ghost in the Shell too much credit for originality: Akira, Armitage III, and Key the Metal Idol (probably plus some more that I can't remember) all did intelligent, psychological/philosophical cyberpunk before GitS and Memories: Magnetic Rose would do it again less than a month earlier. Of course, that really doesn't matter given that there's no such thing as a unique piece of art, but I would like to point that out.

Lets face it beyond the over all god complex plot and the mech fights, NGE was mediocre at best, none of the characters had any redeeming qualities, Rei was about as exciting as watching paint dry, Asuka was a bitch and Shinji was a sniveling emo brat. Not only that if feel into a shit ton trappings of anime that came before it, retarded amounts of fan service, cute pets, and school days angst and comedy. The quality of the art stopped at the Mechs and backgrounds too, character designs where nothing we really hadn't seen before and nothing very exciting. Not to mention the anime just dropped out at the end, Evangelion as it's core series was very flawed and I think why it did well was cause it panned to everyone instead of keeping up quality.

Also Ghost in the shell was original, the manga had been around way before those other animes where even a thought it just took it a while to become animated, and those other animes really don't even hold a candle to GiTS, yes the fall into the same genre but they are nothing alike. Just because it came before doesn't mean it did it right.
Oct 31, 2009 11:13 PM

Apr 2009
Cowboy Bebop

For sure..because I haven't seen any others yet :P
Oct 31, 2009 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
Jigero said:
Mawootad said:
Jigero said:

Lets face it beyond the over all god complex plot and the mech fights, NGE was mediocre at best, none of the characters had any redeeming qualities, Rei was about as exciting as watching paint dry, Asuka was a bitch and Shinji was a sniveling emo brat. Not only that if feel into a shit ton trappings of anime that came before it, retarded amounts of fan service, cute pets, and school days angst and comedy. The quality of the art stopped at the Mechs and backgrounds too, character designs where nothing we really hadn't seen before and nothing very exciting. Not to mention the anime just dropped out at the end, Evangelion as it's core series was very flawed and I think why it did well was cause it panned to everyone instead of keeping up quality.

Also Ghost in the shell was original, the manga had been around way before those other animes where even a thought it just took it a while to become animated, and those other animes really don't even hold a candle to GiTS, yes the fall into the same genre but they are nothing alike. Just because it came before doesn't mean it did it right.

I'd like to point out that the characters in Eva were never supposed to have redeeming qualities nor were they supposed to be likable in the traditional sense. That's all I have to say. Dislike it all you want, but I thought I'd point out that rather important fact.

GITS is great, sure, but your giving it far to much credit. I'm sure someone's already pointed out Akira, so i'm not going to. Wait, I did.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 1, 2009 12:50 AM

Jan 2009
insan3soldiern said:

GITS is great, sure, but your giving it far to much credit. I'm sure someone's already pointed out Akira, so i'm not going to. Wait, I did.

Akira came out in 1988, it's great but not an 90's anime xD
Nov 1, 2009 1:14 AM

Mar 2009
Slam Dunk (1993-1996).
Nov 1, 2009 1:04 AM

May 2009
First off, I reckon LOGH and Dragon Ball should be excluded because they commenced the previous decade.

As much as I hate to admit it NGE was and still is a very influential and well loved anime. Certainly not "the" defining anime of the 90s. The Mecha genre has been around since Macross, Mazinger Z, Gao Gai Gar,Gundam, Astro Boy, and Patlabor. Tachii did raise some good points but I disagree. I think the mecha genre was thriving long before NGE and the psychological aspect was already there in Akira, Space Runaway Ideon and some other anime. As for the mecha designs for NGE, check out Guyver: Out of Control. But enough negatives, lets look at the positives.

To be fair this anime and its sequels did convincingly come first place in Animage's Anime Grand Prix (one of the most acclaimed of all awards) three times in a row, the respective years being 95, 96, 97. There is one and only one anime comparable in this aspect. Not only that, but Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone was awarded animation of the year for the Tokyo Internatonal Anime Awards. Impressive indeed.

Some other anime that should be included as the best anime of the 90s are:

Cowboy Bebop, regarded as one of the all-time top anime according to Newtype and Anime Insider stated Cowboy Bebop as the best anime in North America, ahead of NGE. Also awarded the Seiun Award in 2000; needless to say this is a true classic that is still well regarded many years after it has finished airing.

Sailor Moon, an even greater and more influential anime than the previous two simply because it created an entirely new genre and If not convinced, look at all the various references and mahou shojo following this anime.

Pokemon, perhaps the most well known of all time, influential and often parodied. The first movie was a massive success in the west, and for a while there was much controversy and what seemed like an invasion of the little critters in the west. Perhaps the anime that impacted and shaped the "monster-battle" genre of anime and inspired many similar anime. The anime that was most famous, or infamous for causing mass epileptic seizures and also the one with one of the most episodes.

While not iconic and influential as the aforementioned series; Rurouni Kenshin, GTO and CCS were excellent series quality wise, imo at least.

Comparing the 90s with this decade will not be easy. This decade of anime is just approaching its end, which might explain why some the classics in the 90s appear superior current anime.
Nov 1, 2009 1:23 AM

Mar 2008
Tachii said:
Let's see... after some quick research due to boredom, it seems Evangelion was the first, at least in terms of success and popularity, to greatly impact/innovate the mecha genre in the 90s. Before mecha was mainly just consisted of blocky Gundams, now there's slick, fast, humanized robots; evidently giving birth to many of the mecha series of today. Another aspect is the psychological genre which seem to influence shows later like Lain and Utena.
As important as I acknowledge Evangelion to be, I find that too often is this importance aggrandised in relation to modern trends (and oddly, it's rarely the more religious [pardon the pun] fans that do so). Certainly, Evangelion brought unorthodox mecha designs and innovative action scenes along with a more thorough exploration of the human psyche as a means to express desire (in whatever form), but these had all been notably done before. I'm not quite sure what calling Gundam mobile suits 'blocky' insinuates, as Gundam series have featured a variety of designs wider than any other franchise of mecha anime: the Akatsuki and Zeta Gundam are among the sleekest mobile suits ever designed (the latter even transforming), whereas the classic Zaku and the ZZ are bulky and tough; other Mobille Suits, of course, fell into many categories in between the two extremes. Mecha design wasn't limited to Gundam alone, either: many others worked to expand mecha as a genre: Ideon, Macross, Takahashi Ryousuke's works, and Top wo Nerae are some such well-known examples. Though Evangelion had added a more mammalian style to its mecha, it wasn't a far take from classic super robots. And to this day, many more series (especially popular ones) follow the more established real robot designs than anything of Evangelion's sort (the only things that come to mind otherwise are RahXephon and Aquarion).
While Evangelion did pave the way for cyberpunk to further explore psychologiical aspects of characters as a major theme, Evangelion is far from the first example to do so: the invention of real robot as a whole was a means by which directors could both develop pilots as human-minded beings while performing adequate battles in the meantime. Space Runaway Ideon is an often-cited example of a mecha series from which Evangelion drew many of its basic ideas: the mental complexes of characters to world-ending consequences - death and destruction abound. Gainax's previous Top wo Nerae! had already fused real-robot with super-robot, a technique Anno would draw upon later for Evangelion.

Certainly, Evangelion ranks among the most important series of anime (and, moreoever, is actually 'good'), but it's not quite the all-eminent cultural phenomenon that transformed anime forever; however, it brought several older ideas together in a way that showed directors their practicality, allowing them to follow in its large, well-padded footsteps.
Tachii said:
GitS seem to have influenced the making of Matrix, a great feat by itself, and probably many more indirect influences.
The Wachowski brothers also cited major Japanese OVA Megazone 23 (which was also the first popular Japanese OVA, establishing the OVA as a viable form) as a major influence. Those who have watched both would realise that several ideas were more or less taken directly from MG23 and revitalised (in a good way).

Do note that this isn't so much an attack on you and your post as it is an argument against the researched ideas you posted.
Jigero said:
The claim that emotional realism constitutes mediocrity I can't take seriously; not every character in a mecha series is a Kamina or a Nekki Basara, just how not every human has no potential for angst. While real-robot in general is known for its more accurate portrayal of both pilot and machine, Evangelion took the pilot's insecurities several levels further than had been seen before. Saying that Evangelion was full of contemporary clichés is also simply affirming its importance, as, while these little inclusions had been somewhat common to the medium, it was not until after that they had become overused - in fact, I find it difficult to name an action series predating Evangelion that also had a focus on school life comedy (though saying Evangelion had a major emphasis on school life would be a stretch). Anyone well-versed in anime of the 90's will tell you that, until Gainax's perpetual budget problems arose, Evangelion's artwork was far above par for its time. You can compare Ghost in the Shell favourably because of its much more extensive movie budget - TV series can't compare.
Jigero said:
To designate all of Evangelion's 'flaws' as unforgivable while claiming Ghost in the Shell to be perfect is also incredibly unreasonable. Being the work of I.G. and Kawai Kenji - in a movie production, no less - I can't deny its technical excellence, but calling it the 'thinking man's anime' is laughable. Never have I seen or read (short of essays) a work that takes itself so seriously as Ghost in the Shell. My intuition may prove false, but I can't help but feel sceptic (even with a grain of salt) of elevator trips leading to discussions about the ontological boundaries between man and machine. Little in Ghost in the Shell is left to subtlety or nuance, as 'intellectuals' would have it, instead having ideas thrown upon the viewer without regard for organisation or context. The later Serial Experiments Lain gave much more insight on its 'commentary on the 90's' and 'the new millenium' than Ghost in the Shell; two decades have passed since the manga began serialisation and we still have yet to have reached any semblance of artifical intelligence powerful enough to question consciousness. For now, Ghost in the Shell is still nothing but speculation of a distant future; even if it is thought-provoking (in all its meretricious self-righteousness), it has no tangible modern applicability.
Jigero said:
The Akira movie predates the Ghost in the Shell manga by a year; Akira's manga began serialisation a full seven years prior. Appleseed, Bubblegum Crisis, and the aforementioned Megazone 23 are well-known examples that had cyberpunk police forces that questioned artificial intelligence as 'personality', programmed cyborgs acting of their own accord, metaphysical questioning of reality, self-consciousness as individuality, &c. Saying that such things 'are nothing alike' is justa means of denial and blindly begging the question.
While Ghost in the Shell is 'intelligent' and 'thoughtful', it is no means groundbreaking except perhaps in popularity; all of its 'originality' had long ago lost such a claim.
Ghost in the Shell's ideas had been nothing new.

EDIT: To stick to the topic- my personal pick of the 90's would be Bebop for innovating a new style of episodic series, with all of the jazz and awesome intact.
qtipNov 1, 2009 1:37 AM
Nov 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Jun 2008
^ Understandable. Evangelion may not be the most influential, but it does have its impacts in the 90s due to its popularity and success, as I happen to recall from my earlier post.
Nov 1, 2009 10:38 AM

Apr 2009
Tsuiokuhen
Nov 1, 2009 3:34 PM
Nov 1, 2009 3:41 PM
Nov 2008
NGE
Nov 1, 2009 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Or

Cowboy Bebop
Nov 7, 2012 11:34 PM

Oct 2012
Cowboy Bebop + 1
Great Teacher Onizuka
GITS
Rurouni trust and betrayal
Nov 7, 2012 11:39 PM

Nov 2010
Initial D and One Piece.
Nov 7, 2012 11:41 PM
May 2010
Jaapsneep said:
Tsuiokuhen

This.
Worships Asparagus.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

73 by tectacles »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 39 minutes ago

4 by Catalano »»
11 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

24 by rohan121 »»
16 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 12 hours ago

7 by TRC_Randy »»
20 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.