Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2013 9:11 AM

Aug 2013
Philosophy time.

Do you believe in the existence of a soul or a type of life-force?

If so, how do you think it works?

Apply why/why not to both questions.

Personally, I've always felt there was a type of energy that makes things alive. If just based on the problem that if you take a human being apart, atom by atom, and put them together perfectly a few feet away, they will be "dead" (The atoms, having never been alive in the first place). Which would seem to indicate something that makes everything alive, maybe not as fanciful as a magical glowing soul, but I feel like there's something there.

Throw in other information you feel is relevant to the discussion if desired.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 3, 2013 9:23 AM

Aug 2013
I am a really big fan of things such as this.

Magic? Yes, I believe in it.

Life force? I do feel like there's a such thing, and yes, I think it exists.
Lolis > Everything
Sep 3, 2013 9:29 AM

Dec 2011
I've got some experience related to salvia where I would get a much better comprehension of how we are entities occupying a body that is only temporary. Also I believe this world is entirely moved by energy that flows around that can either repel or bound with others.
Sep 3, 2013 9:35 AM

Aug 2013
You got soul my friend. Better use it or lose it.
Sep 3, 2013 9:41 AM
Aug 2011
Consciousness is merely the chaotic pattern created by the activity of brain/brain cells.

The very basic proof that soul is only a myth is cloned animal example, unless you don't refer to soul as a supernatural being and a gift from god.

You are your body, don't treat it like a temporary vessel. Your body dies, you die; consciousness shuts down and there is nothing ahead.

Yes, there is a type of energy that keeps us alive: Energy you get from food. Biological energy, cellular energy, whatevet you call it.

As I said, the awareness or consciousness people refer as soul is the result of brain activity, think of it as an avatar. I said a "chaotic pattern" because there are so many variables that the result (consciousness) is impossible to predict or simulate. Read chaos theory.
AdramelechSep 3, 2013 9:49 AM
Sep 3, 2013 9:47 AM

Sep 2013
I don't think that such thing as a soul exist.

The activity of our brain cells gives us a personality, the ability to think, etc.
We are some sort of organic "machine". When the body stops working, it's over. No paradise and no after-life. Game over, no ability to respawn.

X)
Sep 3, 2013 9:49 AM
Sep 2013
No god no devil no magic no soul

/thread
Sep 3, 2013 9:53 AM
Aug 2011
Rolflolwut said:
No god no devil no magic no soul

/thread

Words of a wise man.
Sep 5, 2013 6:33 PM

May 2012
vynka said:
I've got some experience related to salvia

This opening statement nullifies everything you said afterwards.
Sep 5, 2013 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
Ace discussion here, some really interesting material, really....

Next question:

What is color?

Go.
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Aug 2012
Waves of light
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Sep 5, 2013 8:20 PM

Feb 2010
yes i beleave there is something living this posses that makes them who they are and we cant replicate it through artificial means.

we could make a body but not bring it to life so somethings missing.

some people make life sound depressing by the way not going to name any one
but i take offence to being called a machine. :|
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 5, 2013 8:22 PM

Jun 2013
Nooooooooooo.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 5, 2013 8:25 PM

Feb 2010
Slayermaster said:
Ace discussion here, some really interesting material, really....

Next question:

What is color?

Go.

light being reflected
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 5, 2013 11:25 PM

Oct 2009
When I was little..
I always imagine a little person lives inside our head, and inside its head there's another little person and so on.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 6, 2013 5:11 AM
Mar 2012
This is the same question as: "Do you believe in God?". And I would say: I don't believe it exists, but I can't say they don't.
Slayermaster said:
What is color?

Go.

A typo.
Sep 6, 2013 5:46 AM

Aug 2013
I wouldn't say it's the same as a belief in a god, at least not by the standards of the major world religions.

Next, how do you teach what color is to someone, so that they can recognize it on their own?

Bonus: What is happiness?
Want to talk?
Club!

Sep 6, 2013 6:27 AM

Aug 2012
azzuRe said:
When I was little..
I always imagine a little person lives inside our head, and inside its head there's another little person and so on.

I wish Tyrion lived in my head.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Sep 6, 2013 7:02 AM

Oct 2009
Koryo-chan said:
azzuRe said:
When I was little..

I wish Tyrion lived in my head.

That's a bit different kind of little person that I would have imagined, but I like this idea better.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 6, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2012
Soul and life-force are too vague.

If I get what you're saying, it'd be better phrased as: "Is perception of existence separate from the physical body".

(With the body only acting as a 'shell' to interact with the physical world, which counters the logic most commonly believed which boils down to cause/effect and what you can see. IE: "I beat you in the head with a shovel, you have brain damage and an altered conscious because of it, therefor perception of existence must originate from the brain".

Can be countered with the thought that they just damaged the 'shell' interacting with the physical world, not the separate perception of existence)

Neither logic is right, you can't know the answer to this.
CazeSep 6, 2013 7:20 AM
Sep 6, 2013 9:51 AM

Nov 2012
Humans are just bionic computers. Face it!
Sep 6, 2013 2:40 PM

Jul 2013
I believe we got souls, more than one and in like different "sizes" ^^ So like souls just flow around and get in and out of bodies depending on how you behave. I also think that they can kinda melt together and form "bigger" more complex souls. So like animals have kinda "smaller" souls while human can attract "bigger" more complex souls. Idk I didn't really put much thought into this but this way of thinking is the one that fits how I want the world to be the most ^^
NoSoup4YouSep 6, 2013 2:45 PM

More topics from this board

» your most memorable memory

BroDa2545 - 15 minutes ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - 4 hours ago

5 by Citrone39 »»
15 minutes ago

» Global enviroment ( comments )

SyrupPastryNice - Yesterday

17 by DigiCat »»
41 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

26 by 9765 »»
55 minutes ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

57 by DigiCat »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.