Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 3, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2013
Well I just finished the anime "Spice and Wolf" and I actually enjoyed, mainly due to the "unique" relationship between Holo and Lawrence (although I didn't care for Lawrence as much as Holo as she was intriguing, mysterious and had intelligent wordplay ).

While watching the show was anyone else disappointed by the amount of romantic moments in the show that were not capitalized on? The main moment that sticks out in my mind was when Holo read the letter from bird lady ( Can't remember her name). I mean this was the perfect opportunity for Lawrence to confess his love for her but did nothing while she was in pain. I understand it needed to be this way for both plot purposes and the underlying character developments for their future together and realizing they couldn't be together forever, but the ending was just so bad in comparison :/ It felt like it was rushed and there wasn't nearly the same amount of emotion...
Nov 19, 2013 11:09 PM

Jul 2013
I'm actually not sure if this anime even tried to center around romance. To me it was more of an adventure anime, romance or maybe even friendship (excluding the last ep) being the sub plot. The peck at the end seemed like it was put in for fanservice because it was out of context and, like you said, rushed.

I really liked Horo too, she has been a very mysterious character and it's a bit of a disappointment that we didn't get to know more about her.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Nov 19, 2013 11:14 PM
Mar 2013
No doubt adventure played a big part, but I think the romance aspect is just as great if not greater.

And the only thing I was disappointed about was leaving the story halfway. Now I have to read the remaining material when I much prefer watching it.
Nov 20, 2013 7:40 AM
Aug 2009
uyalucky said:
While watching the show was anyone else disappointed by the amount of romantic moments in the show that were not capitalized on?

Not really for me. I mean, I suppose it would have been nice fanservice to have an ending that's even more clear than them holding hands tightly while wedding-like bells ring, but this way it feels more like a genuine relationship than just some simple wish-fulfillment.

It's a story about two lonely people who are coming out of their shells, and the two of them have only known each other maybe a month at this point. It's established that they're realistic about their relationship; Holo has obvious baggage to overcome before she'll accept a relationship, and Lawrence is the type who constantly worries about the future. It works for them to be iffy about having a relationship, so this much progress in a month is probably about right for older, careful characters who've fallen head over heels.

Plus, to me their little interactions felt a bit more "genuine" than usual for anime, because the subtext was always there that the two of them were intentionally trying to play romantic games without crossing some invisible line. I guess you could say that I feel that they DID capitalize on the romantic moments, just not for wish-fulfillment.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dbaranyi - Aug 12, 2009

291 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

dbaranyi - Aug 5, 2009

204 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Derp - Jul 30, 2009

149 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 1:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.