Forum Settings
Forums

Shoujo Airsoft Manga 'Sabegebu!' to Have TV Anime Adaptation

New
Sep 2, 2013 11:58 PM

Sep 2012
"Sabagebu!", a manga serialized in shoujo manga magazine Nakayoshi about a school airsoft game club, will be adapted into a TV anime series. The director will be Oota Masahiko and series composition will be handled by Aoshima Takashi, who both previously worked in the same capacity for shows like "Yuru Yuri" and "Love Lab". The manga started serialization at the beginning of 2011, and so far 4 volumes have been published with volume 5 coming out on September 13th.

Source: Natalie

Sabagebu! on MAL
NaruleachOct 5, 2013 5:22 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 3, 2013 12:02 AM

Mar 2012
So it's like C3-bu?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 3, 2013 12:03 AM

Aug 2013
Uh, shoujo? Isn't this kind of thing usually aimed at male otaku? I'm feeling a bit disconnection here
Sep 3, 2013 12:09 AM

Nov 2012
wow, shoujo.....
but about airsoft game ?
intriguing enough
Sep 3, 2013 12:12 AM

Sep 2012
Key thing is Oota being the director. I have confidence that he will not turn it into another C3bu which gets a lot of complaints about wholesale change of the story and characters from the manga and the sprinkling of weird episodes or needless serious drama here and there.
symbvSep 3, 2013 12:21 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 3, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2012
NeoAnkara said:
So it's like C3-bu?

Sounds like it.
Sep 3, 2013 12:35 AM

Feb 2007
C3-bu with out the unnecessary supernatural element? Sign me up!
Sep 3, 2013 12:50 AM
Mar 2010
I always used to think why this manga was serialized in Nakayoshi. And since it's Nakayoshi, I'd have liked an anime of Watashi ni xx Shinasai instead. Ah well.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Sep 3, 2013 12:51 AM

Aug 2010
Will give it a try, from the looks of it, it will provide a nice alternative to C^3-bu.
Sep 3, 2013 1:17 AM
Sep 2012
Sep 3, 2013 1:35 AM
Sep 2010
AiCon said:
I'm hoping for more realism and less Matrix in this one.

http://i.imgur.com/ioKNXFp.gif

http://www.crimsonfantasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/gravity.gif

but the matrix moves are awesome.

ah well, this might be the rare occasion that I'll watch a shoujo anime
Sep 3, 2013 1:50 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
The director will be Oota Masahiko and series composition will be handled by Aoshima Takashi, who both previously worked in the same capacity for shows like "Yuru Yuri" and "Love Lab".

Say no more, I'm 110% in.
Sep 3, 2013 2:04 AM

Dec 2011
Hmm? Worth a try, at least.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 3, 2013 2:23 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
The director will be Oota Masahiko and series composition will be handled by Aoshima Takashi, who both previously worked in the same capacity for shows like "Yuru Yuri" and "Love Lab".

Probs 10/10.
Sep 3, 2013 3:00 AM

Aug 2011
Looks like Winter season at the earliest?

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Sep 3, 2013 4:26 AM

Nov 2008
Didn't think I'd be seeing this type of manga serialized in Nakayoshi.
Sep 3, 2013 4:32 AM

Jun 2011
Another one? ~.~
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 3, 2013 4:36 AM

Sep 2012
Hopefully C3-bu's sales figures don't scare them off... it's all about the execution.
Sep 3, 2013 4:55 AM
Feb 2012
I can confidently say I'm not interested.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Sep 3, 2013 5:10 AM

Apr 2011
Hmmm...It looks interesting. I'm waiting to see more updates for this.
Sep 3, 2013 6:02 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
C3-bu is pretty great so I'm definitely up for seeing how the same basic premise is covered in a work created for a different demographic.
I am at the polar opposite, with C3-bu being the biggest disappointment among the 30 or so shows I am watching this cour (it still has its merits in technical aspects but other than that it is really a letdown for me), so I am very happy to see another airsoft anime coming up so soon and I hope dearly that it will finally show me the fun and appeal of airsoft game.
symbvSep 3, 2013 6:56 AM

Sep 3, 2013 6:43 AM

Jul 2013
That Shoujo tag is bothering me a bit, I'm hoping that the air soft aspect of this show is not a side element, and the majority of the show is spent with the girls doing daily activities that you see in a lot of school anime. I would be disappointed if that was the case, and the manga synopsis sounds pretty cheesy. But I'll keep a look out on this just because of the duo that's going to work on this, I'll probably look at the manga before then just to make sure.
Sep 3, 2013 6:49 AM

Jul 2012
I'm quite curious about both now, will definetly try the manga for myself!
Sep 3, 2013 6:52 AM

May 2013
It sounds like C3-bu, with the whole airsoft thing, but it has potential to be better. C3-bu was quite the let down as well, so here's hoping.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 3, 2013 6:54 AM
May 2012
imma watch this.
Sep 3, 2013 7:03 AM

Jan 2011
I've only read 3 chapters so I can't say much but It's pretty hilarious, I hope the adaptation is set for winter. Can't wait for animated Miou and Momoka, these two are a lot of fun.
VioLinkSep 3, 2013 7:12 AM
[center]
Sep 3, 2013 7:13 AM
Jan 2010
It doesn't interest me as much as C3-Bu.
The changes in C3-Bu are necessary because it the original manga doesn't have an interesting premise.
Sep 3, 2013 7:20 AM

Sep 2012
Orix said:
The changes in C3-Bu are necessary because it the original manga doesn't have an interesting premise.
I am not sure how much more "interesting" are those supernatural stuff in the anime... From what I see of the manga that is being circulated by fans of the manga who are unhappy with the drastic change in the character personality and the story in the anime, I would say that the manga is a lot more interesting.

Sep 3, 2013 7:25 AM

Jul 2013
So, is this really popular or the producers think C3-bu is commercially viable and want a part of the cake ?
Sep 3, 2013 7:28 AM

Feb 2010
This sounds pretty awesome. Looking forward to it :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 3, 2013 7:34 AM

Jun 2013
symbv said:

Two of the animes I really liked. Sweet! I'm going to go get a headstart on the manga.

And god do I hope this won't turn out like the trainwreck that C3bu was. And hopefully so with that director. I don't know what the hell was happening with Gainax but past ep 5 or so of C3bu became really drab to watch.
Sep 3, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 2011
symbv said:
Orix said:
I am not sure how much more "interesting" are those supernatural stuff in the anime... From what I see of the manga that is being circulated by fans of the manga who are unhappy with the drastic change in the character personality and the story in the anime, I would say that the manga is a lot more interesting.

I don't think Yura's change is that bad. I mean usually in these types of series we get a main character who always does the right thing with a cheerful attitude, so having a character who messes up and goes to the dark side is kinda refreshing. Besides, we all know she will be back to fun loving self by the end of the series. I haven't read much of the manga so I can't say how it compares to the adaptation though.

The MC for Sabagebu!, Momoka is refreshing as well since she has two differently personalities "how people expect her to act" (the usual transfer-student shy attitude) and how she actually is. I am quite fond of characters that stray from the norm.
JoksPacifist said:
So, is this really popular or the producers think C3-bu is commercially viable and want a part of the cake ?

I doubt it since I don't think C3-bu is doing that well sales wise.
VioLinkSep 3, 2013 7:48 AM
[center]
Sep 3, 2013 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
Also disappointed in C3-bu, where or where did my Yura go? Was all set to buy that show but... ah... no...

So we shall see if this one does better. Yuru Yuri and Love Lab have me interested!
Sep 3, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2010
It might turn out really good considering Oota Masahiko's previous work like Minami-ke and Yuru Yuri. I still believe Minami-ke other seasons would've been as good as the first one if he was the director. I will check this out for sure.
Sep 3, 2013 7:52 AM

Nov 2008
hpulley said:
Also disappointed in C3-bu, where or where did my Yura go? Was all set to buy that show but... ah... no...

So we shall see if this one does better. Yuru Yuri and Love Lab have me interested!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got screwed out of importing an anime this season due to bad direction.

This should be decent if it focuses on the survival game and/or has some slice of life in it and doesn't devolve into a romance and ends up too much of a bishie fest

Sep 3, 2013 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
VioLink said:
I don't think Yura's change is that bad. I mean usually in these types of series we get a main character who always does the right thing with a cheerful attitude, so having a character who messes up and goes to the dark side is kinda refreshing. Besides, we all know she will be back to fun loving self by the end of the series.
The thing is, the staff of C3bu made a big thing about depicting the FUN of airsoft and its appeal in this anime, and judging by this yardstick, the change from the manga is really incomprehensible (and I am not even talking about the supernatural episode) because except for a few fights which are often exaggerated to the point it looks like shounen fight (by contrast, depiction of fights in Girls und Panzer is universally praised as being grounded in reality) I do not get much sense of the fun of the game and the sports. All I see is mostly the counterexample of how the game may be Not Fun and how this sports can influence people to become a ruthless leader who will only push her team-mates hard and there are even loopholes in the sports to win game unfairly without getting caught (don't forget not only Yura becomes much darker than manga, Rin is also changed to be considerably meaner in the anime). While I learn quite a lot of things and have curiosity aroused for Hyakunin Isshu when I watch Chihayafuru, for Go when I watch Hikaru no Go, for tanks when I watch GirlPan, I feel little excitement about airsoft after watching C3-bu. What is truly mystifying is after a lot of fans complained about the supernatural episode, the staff who wrote the screenplay of that episode even tweeted to rebut those fans, saying that the episode is indeed about the fun of airsoft - well I guess all of us are just too uncultured to see his point. Anyway, it seems from that episode on, with the Yura character getting darker and unsociable, the feedback (and in general sales ranking) just headed to the south. So it seems I am far from the only person who is being disappointed.

Anyway...

The Natalie link in my first post has a few pages from the manga Sabagebu. The artstyle is not the classic shoujo but more gender-neutral artstyle that can appeal to both male and females. So I guess in the anime perhaps the shoujo aspect will get further toned down and we will see a male-oriented character design and art style.
symbvSep 3, 2013 8:01 AM

Sep 3, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2011
symbv said:
VioLink said:
I don't think Yura's change is that bad. I mean usually in these types of series we get a main character who always does the right thing with a cheerful attitude, so having a character who messes up and goes to the dark side is kinda refreshing. Besides, we all know she will be back to fun loving self by the end of the series.
The thing is, the staff of C3bu made a big thing about depicting the FUN of airsoft and its appeal in this anime, and judging by this yardstick, the change from the manga is really incomprehensible (and I am not even talking about the supernatural episode) because except for a few fights which are often exaggerated to the point it looks like shounen fight (by contrast, depiction of fights in Girls und Panzer is universally praised as being grounded in reality) I do not get much sense of the fun of the game and the sports. All I see is mostly the counterexample of how the game may be Not Fun and how this sports can influence people to become a ruthless leader who will only push her team-mates hard and there are even loopholes in the sports to win game unfairly without getting caught (don't forget not only Yura becomes much darker than manga, Rin is also changed to be considerably meaner in the anime). While I learn quite a lot of things and have curiosity aroused for Hyakunin Isshu when I watch Chihayafuru, for Go when I watch Hikaru no Go, for tanks when I watch GirlPan, I feel little excitement about airsoft after watching C3-bu. What is truly mystifying is after a lot of fans complaining about the supernatural episode, the staff who wrote the screenplay of that episode even tweeted to rebut those fans, saying that the episode is indeed about the fun of airsoft - well I guess all of us are just too uncultured to see his point. Anyway, it seems from that episode on, with the Yura character getting darker and unsociable, the feedback (and in general sales ranking) just headed to the south. So it seems I am far from the only person who is being disappointed.

Well I am not speaking for everyone or even other fans of the show, just my own personal take on how the show has developed. I can indeed see how fans of the manga would and those who expected something else would be disappointed. But as I said I don't think all is lost. I expect there to be a turn around for Yura's character as early as the next episode, whether it will gain its fans back is unknown though (probably not lol).

symbv said:
The Natalie link in my first post has a few pages from the manga Sabagebu. The artstyle is not the classic shoujo but more gender-neutral artstyle that can appeal to both male and females. So I guess in the anime perhaps the shoujo aspect will get further toned down and we will see a male-oriented character design and art style.

Indeed, you can tell just by looking at Miou's cover outfit with dem short shorts. There is even some fan service seen in the early chapters of it. It still has the classic shoujo sparkles and bubbles but they are mostly used as an ironic joke hahaha.
VioLinkSep 3, 2013 8:35 AM
[center]
Sep 3, 2013 9:08 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
... Anyway, it seems from that episode on, with the Yura character getting darker and unsociable, the feedback (and in general sales ranking) just headed to the south. So it seems I am far from the only person who is being disappointed.
Judging by the free fall of C3bu v1 to rank 7500 and on down, you, me and Hoppy are far from the only people disappointed.
Sep 3, 2013 9:14 AM

Nov 2008
Oh wow Kiniro Mosaic is right below the third volume of Free in the rankings.

Sep 5, 2013 10:30 PM

Oct 2009
WHAA-AAAT!!!?
Hell yeah!!!

danilodsz said:

So it'll have flowers and sparkles everywhere xD

And a lesbian yandere stalker. (lol)
Join ★☆Shiraitodai Fan Club☆★ for Mahjong World Domination!!
Sep 5, 2013 11:44 PM

Jun 2009
Well, it already sounds better than C3-bu.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Sep 6, 2013 1:53 AM

Oct 2009
Just don't expect too much since most of the time its SoL.
Join ★☆Shiraitodai Fan Club☆★ for Mahjong World Domination!!
Sep 6, 2013 10:05 AM

Nov 2008
i shall gratefully pass on this one
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
8 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.