Forum Settings
Forums

Director Miyazaki Hayao Announced Retirement From Feature Length Film Making

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2013 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
GoldenthunderBRS said:
If some people would have list them down, than I may remember who he is and what movie he makes. That will be a diffrent outcome.
But you should see the link I provided next to the name Miyazaki Hayao in my first post, right? Just click that and you will see all the movies he has made. You don't need to rely on somebody else to do all the work for you.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 1, 2013 9:36 AM

Sep 2012
VanishingKira said:
Knew it'd happen eventually.I remember him being ask if Kaze Taichinu was going to be his last movie before retiring and him saying it wasn't so I guess he lied.
Where is the source that he said the movie Kaze Tachinu is not his last movie?? Because I do not recall him saying that.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 1, 2013 9:37 AM

Aug 2013
My main concern for now is; what will become of Ghibli after his retirement? Ghibli is easily the best anime studio in my book and i always love every single of their animated films. Not sure that anyone else on the studio is capable of actually replacing Miyazaki's position considering he's the very soul of Ghibli itself. On the other hand, i've got pretty much mixed feelings with this news, as Miyazaki had several times stated that he's going to retire after almost every films since Princess Mononoke. Whether this time he's actually consistent or not, is what i've been wondering about.

Just realized that he's already 72 years old.
AmiluhurSep 1, 2013 9:42 AM
Sep 1, 2013 9:38 AM

May 2008
this man deserves a standing applause...so many memories...so many emotions..all due to him. I hope all the works of the studio continue with his advice. and maybe he will do a tour around the world spreading his word :D
Sep 1, 2013 9:40 AM
Feb 2012
*gets up and starts clapping* Thank you for all the wonderful movies.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Sep 1, 2013 9:41 AM

Jun 2012
But.....but.....is he allowed to do that!!!!
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Sep 1, 2013 9:42 AM

Sep 2012
Amiluhur said:
as Miyazaki had several times stated that he's going to retire after almost every films since Princess Mononoke..
I don't think this is true. He may have said he "has considered retirement" but this is very different from saying he is "going to retire". So I don't see any consistency issue like you are trying to insinuate.

Sep 1, 2013 9:45 AM

Jul 2008
I have only seen Kiki's Delivery Service from him, which I thought was okay. So I am kind of indifferent to this.
Sep 1, 2013 9:53 AM

Dec 2010
TT.TT such sad news... I hope Goro will follow in his father's footsteps! TT.TT
Sep 1, 2013 9:54 AM

Aug 2013
The news only said that he's retiring from creating "feature-length film", and this doesn't preclude him from making other works such as tv series, OVA, etc.

Even if he retires for good this time, there's still Makoto shinkai, who's widely hailed as "The next Miyazaki"
Sep 1, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
VanishingKira said:
symbv said:
Where is the source that he said the movie Kaze Tachinu is not his last movie?? Because I do not recall him saying that.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-30/hayao-miyazaki/the-wind-rises-is-not-my-final-work
Although since it's from AAN probably isn't a reliable source.
The ANN report does not contradict this latest news, so it is absolutely unfair to call him a liar (which is what you were saying when you said "I guess he lied"). In the ANN report he was asked if Kaze Tachinu is his "last testament". The news here is about him not going to make feature-length film. Both can be correct. As Miyazaki said in the ANN article, "last statement" is something to make when you are dying, and he never said that this "last statement" has to be a full length anime movie. It may not even be an anime.

That said, ANN used the phrase "last testament" for the Japanese word 遺言 in the original Japanese news article. 遺言 is more like a "will" and I am not sure "last testament" conveyed the same meaning as clearly. Anyway, with the understanding that the context is about a "will", it should be much easier to understand why Miyazaki would deny Kaze Tachinu is one and why he said it is something to be done when he is dying.
symbvSep 1, 2013 10:07 AM

Sep 1, 2013 10:05 AM

Oct 2011
whoa..he deserves a rest.
he is really a great man. i love his works. thank you Miyazaki-san!
Sep 1, 2013 10:07 AM
Feb 2012
In all honesty, it was expected that this were to happen. He was an excellent animation filmmaker. From Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro to The Wind Rises, he broke boundaries in regards to animation. His work was universal. Disney was proud to support his work, and other works from Ghibli. Spirited Away was my first film to be seen from him. It blew me away. It made me watch Anime in a new perspective. His works practically changed my life.
To Mr. Miyasaki: thank you... for showing me the fascinating side of Anime. We will miss you... and we'll never forget. (let's face it: over 40 years of animation: I think he does deserve some rest)
Sep 1, 2013 10:08 AM

Jul 2008
Can't say I was a huge an of his films. See ya dude!
Sep 1, 2013 10:10 AM
Nov 2008
If he's truly and finally retiring for good; than I wish Miyazaki all the best. I've seen every single one of his films from The Castle of Cagliostro to Ponyo, as well as all the other Studio Ghibli films. From what I've heard of the Wind Rises, I think it will probably be a fitting conclusion to Miyazaki's work. That said I can't imagine Miyazaki to ever stop drawing until the day he dies. I'm sure we will see more of him in some capacity, be it animated shorts or manga.
Sep 1, 2013 10:15 AM

Jun 2012
I will miss him :( His movies brought me to Anime...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2013 10:15 AM

Oct 2007
It's sad to hear but it was going to happen one day. I've loved all his amazing work!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2013 10:25 AM

Nov 2012
I bet his son will takeover, but I honestly hope not since I heard that the few Ghibli film he made aren't very good.
Sep 1, 2013 10:25 AM
Oct 2008
Finally. I hate most of his movies.
Sep 1, 2013 10:33 AM

Sep 2012
VanishingKira said:
As for saying he lied I meant it in a joking manner and didn't mean to sound like I was insulting him.Cause from what I heard this isn't the first time he said something about retiring only to not retire.
But when you said "he lied", even jokingly, you are giving the false impression he actually said he would retire only not to (like you said) while the fact is he only said he *considered* retiring but he never stated he would retire. This kind of joke just helps spread a false image of what Miyazaki himself actually said. When has Miyazaki ever even come close to "lying" if all he ever said was he had considered retiring???

VanishingKira said:
I interpreted this news as him actually retiring,but since it says featured films I guess Studio Ghibli will start making short movies or ovas,cause I can't see them making an actual tv series.
Well, Studio Ghibli is not just Miyazaki himself, as much as he has a towering presence there. So Ghibli can still make long movies; and Miyazaki may actually help with bits and pieces of the long movies - he only said he is retiring from *making* long movies but helping out in other capacities is still entirely possible.

Anyway, since Miyazaki himself is going to hold a press conference on the 6th, we may get to hear more about his future plan then.
symbvSep 1, 2013 10:45 AM

Sep 1, 2013 10:58 AM
Jan 2010
rostern said:

Not to be a raging fanboy here, but really? Really? The man has contributed more to the animation industry than a lot of animators today can really dream of contributing - he's been doing it since long before we were born and, odds are, quite a lot of the shows you like wouldn't exist had he not been dedicating his life to truly bringing something amazing to the animation industry as a whole.

I don't care if you hate his movies, but at least show some respect.
Sep 1, 2013 11:05 AM

Jan 2011
Kiki's delivery service was my first experience with anime , after watching it I remember wanting "more stuff like this" (I didn't know what "anime" was called at the time.). I also remember watching Spirited away on Toonami as a kid. I guess it's time to re-watch both for some good ol nostalgia.

It's sad that he won't make long movies anymore but I'm grateful for the works he gave us, can't wait to check out his latest movie.
[center]
Sep 1, 2013 11:05 AM

Aug 2011
I think the specificity of 'feature length' is actually referring to the fact that Miyazaki has made a decent handful of shorts over his career, and he enjoys being able to do that on his schedule, at his pace, without any pressure. They get small showings at Japanese museums and stuff.

As for his retirement, it's definitely hard to comprehend. Miyazaki has been a force in anime since the 70s, and it'll be weird to suddenly not have him around and on the scene. This tidbit caught my attention though:

"In an interview on Japanese television channel TBS's Ō-sama no Brunch program, Miyazaki revealed that he is open to the possibility of a Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind film sequel. However, he would leave such a hypothetical project in the hands of Nausicaä key animator and Evangelion director Hideaki Anno. Anno collaborated with Miyazaki and Ghibli on "Kyoshinhei Tokyo ni Arawaru" (Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo), last year's live-action tokusatsu (special-effects) short, and he then voiced the lead role in Miyazaki's The Wind Rises."

It might be time for the new era of Ghibli. Now that Miyazaki is out of the scene, Isao Takahata will surely be right behind him. Which means Ghibli films will be left in the hands of people such as Hideaki Anno, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro (if he decides he'd rather direct than take care of plants, this is. Apparently he feels his true passion is botany).

I can't help but be nervous that the new era of Ghibli will be considerably less consistent. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Sep 1, 2013 11:06 AM

Jun 2009
Miyazaki movies were pretty "entry-tier" when it came to entering the anime industry. Still, they are an important part of many childhoods when anime was just coming out to America.

I didn't find the stories of them that interesting(I liked a couple of them, but some had eh plots), but the animation was glorious at the time. Even today, I still find that they hold up well.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Sep 1, 2013 11:14 AM

Jun 2013
The man is 72 years of age, he's done more than enough to deserve a good and peaceful retirement.

However, it should be noted that he's just retiring from creating feature films, and I personally think he'll continue drawing until he's at least 80 ;).

It wouldn't be odd if he continues to create manga, which may or may not be adapted into anime films by Studio Ghibli.
Sep 1, 2013 11:16 AM
Sep 2011
Even though I found all of his movies I've watched until now far from perfect or great, I got to give this old-man my congratulations on making animated movies that differ greatly from the average and stereotype. Thanks for your great and significant work, which influenced, influences and will influence many young animation directors for years to come. May a director of the new generation take after a little of the inspiration, the talent and the love that you were putting to your films.
Sep 1, 2013 11:37 AM

Nov 2011
Uh guys, remember that he said he would retire after Princess Mononoke... and Spirited Away... and Howl.... and Ponyo... and Wind Rises... okay, see a pattern here? He's retired at least 5 times, and the dude is 72, which is quite healthy, so I'm sure he'll pump out two more masterpieces before dropping of earth. Takahata on the other hand is 77, going on 78 this year, and his last film was My Neighbours, the Yamadas, which was 14 years ago, so I think Tale of Princess Kaguya is gonna be his Abbey Road. Plus, Miyazaki has said that Wind Rises isn't his last film, so theres hope for more.
Sep 1, 2013 11:43 AM

May 2008
SouthPacific said:
The man is 72 years of age, he's done more than enough to deserve a good and peaceful retirement.

However, it should be noted that he's just retiring from creating feature films, and I personally think he'll continue drawing until he's at least 80 ;).

It wouldn't be odd if he continues to create manga, which may or may not be adapted into anime films by Studio Ghibli.

72 in japan is like 50 in the western society.... he lived to draw, he will continue to draw, to create,to make the world a magical place...
Sep 1, 2013 11:50 AM
May 2012
He's going to retire and still I haven't seen any of his movies but I'll watch it if I'm in the mood and I'm expecting it to be good because many people say it's good It's sad that he's retiring though but I think he's not retiring completely.
Sep 1, 2013 11:52 AM

Apr 2010
Excuse me while I go cry in the corner and get nostalgic about Spirited Away.
Sep 1, 2013 11:55 AM

Mar 2010
I hope he will continue to help with script and other things then studio Ghibli will manage just fine.
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Sep 1, 2013 11:56 AM

Apr 2007
Awwww.... It's really sad, but I knew this would happen.

I wish him all the best.

Current Avatar: Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke
Sep 1, 2013 12:00 PM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:
741shadow said:
Was it because of the controversies around Kaze Tenchu
You mean the controversy of it showing smoking in the movie? Oh yes, this is actually the biggest controversy of the film in Japan LOL
Wow, that's a nice and intelligent way of sharing knowledge....
Yeah, if 741shadow did not know that, then I am sharing this information because I really don't have much idea about what "controversies" he is talking about unless he elaborates it.
If you didn't know what he was talking about, maybe you should have asked for clarification instead of making some sarcastic, offensive, backhanded comment.

symbv said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
understand me that I just haven't heard him before people. Though in the club someone helped me who he is so please stop going crazy by saying those stuff geeez. fon't need that.
I guess if you had phrased your first post better like doing some basic research about who he is and how famous he is before jumping into this thread stating "I don't know him and I have never seen his work" the outcome could have been very different. At the end, people would ask why you want to comment if you have no idea who he is?
Wow, that's pretty hypocritical, telling him to do research before posting when you sniped at someone when you didn't even understand what they were referring to. People might ask you why you want to reply to someone when you don't know what they're talking about. ...Oh.

I don't think I've ever seen a staff member make such immature and caustic replies.
Sep 1, 2013 12:05 PM

Mar 2010
rostern said:

Bitch one of your favorite anime's director could be inspired by Miyazaki's works so shut the fuck up.
Sep 1, 2013 12:18 PM

Aug 2008
While it's a shame there won't be any chance for more films like Mononoke-hime, Totoro or Howl, it might be a good decision. He got a little repetitive with the same story with same character types just in a different coating. While I was watching my last film from him (probably Laputa) I got bored really fast because I already saw this story and characters in his previous works.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 1, 2013 12:19 PM

Apr 2008
Wise decision, and I'm not talking about (mostly idiotic) controversies. He gave all he can give to the world animation, his retirement at the top of his career can promote emerging directors.

I hope Isao Takahata keep making movies for Ghibli the next years and then Hideaki Anno strengthen his collaboration with the studio.
Sep 1, 2013 12:21 PM

May 2012
That's too bad. But he's getting up in the years and it's certainly not the first time he's contemplated retirement. Hopefully he'll still oversee the Ghibli studio so it can carry on successfully with new blood.

Antanaru said:
While it's a shame there won't be any chance for more films like Mononoke-hime, Totoro or Howl, it might be a good decision. He got a little repetitive with the same story with same character types just in a different coating. While I was watching my last film from him (probably Laputa) I got bored really fast because I already saw this story and characters in his previous works.
Umm, you do know that Laputa was only his third movie right?
Sep 1, 2013 12:24 PM

Jul 2009
The only movie i really liked from Miyazaki was Sen to Chihiro, the others i find them boring.

Makoto Shinkai is better, IMO.
Sep 1, 2013 12:32 PM

Apr 2008
Bakura said:
The only movie i really liked from Miyazaki was Sen to Chihiro, the others i find them boring.

You haven't watched Laputa / Castle in the Sky, haven't you? Makoto Shinkai is great, but he make different works and he hasn't reached his artistic maturity yet, returning too often to his old subjects (dramatic love stories).
Sep 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
Well, that stinks. Really hope he comes out of retirement soon, if he's feelin up to it.
Sep 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Jul 2009
chirale said:
You haven't watched Laputa / Castle in the Sky, haven't you? Makoto Shinkai is great, but he make different works and he hasn't reached his artistic maturity yet, returning too often to his old subjects (dramatic love stories).

No, i havent seen Laputa. But after Howl's Castle and Nausicaa, i lost my interest in Miyasaki. Anyway Kotonoha no Niwa is far better than any Miyasaki's movies and like you said he hasn't reached his artistic maturity yet, i wonder what he could do in future.
Sep 1, 2013 1:03 PM
Oct 2008
I'ts a loss... but this man more than deserves to lay back and enjoy the rest of his life.

Bakura said:

Makoto Shinkai is better, IMO.

At what? His only good film is 5cm He can only pull off Sappy Dramas hes worthless at anything else did you not watch the horrible mess that was Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.
Sep 1, 2013 1:11 PM

Jun 2010
Well, he is so old so I guess this is not so shocking.

It's sad if he will really retire. He is a legend and a respectable figure in the animation industry. Hope he enjoy his remaining time in this world.
Sep 1, 2013 1:20 PM
Jan 2010
Bakura said:
chirale said:

No, i havent seen Laputa. But after Howl's Castle and Nausicaa, i lost my interest in Miyasaki. Anyway Kotonoha no Niwa is far better than any Miyasaki's movies and like you said he hasn't reached his artistic maturity yet, i wonder what he could do in future.

The fact that you think Shinkai's movies are better than Miyazaki's is one thing, that's your opinion and I'm not going to criticise you for it (even though I don't agree with it).

But I think what you're failing to see here is that, regardless of whether you think Shinkai is better, Miyazaki has contributed way more to the industry than Shinkai has; he was involved in the industry since Shinkai was a boy and has served as a pioneer for anime in general - I doubt a lot of - wait, scratch that - any of Shinkai's works would even exist if it wasn't for Miyazaki and his incredible influence on not just anime, but the animation industry as a whole. Did you know that Shinkai's favorite film is actually Castle in the Sky? A film by Miyazaki (incidentally, the film you haven't seen). He's a huge follower of his works and the Miyazaki influence really shows in his films.
Masserati_Sep 1, 2013 1:27 PM
Sep 1, 2013 1:31 PM

Mar 2009
But he is not totally away from anime, right? i'm thankful for all the great works he and Ghibli has done. He'll be back!!!! right? ╯.╰ Hayao ojii-san otsukaresama deshita ! ヅ
Sep 1, 2013 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
That is sad - his movies are among my favorites - I always enjoy them.
Sep 1, 2013 1:32 PM

Jun 2013
Sad Hoshi is sad.
Sep 1, 2013 1:40 PM

Aug 2007
I love his works, some of my favorite movies/animes were done by him. For me, he's like Mr.Anime (just like I Shigeru Miyamoto is Mr.Gaming ), this is a huge blow. =(
Sep 1, 2013 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Castle of Caligrostro, just amazing.
Sep 1, 2013 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
Welp, that's sad. Grew up watching his films, so I'm definitely gonna miss him. Glad he's not fully retiring though.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 4 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
4 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
7 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.