New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 1, 2013 10:38 PM

Aug 2013
Elfen Lied I guess.
YOKO ONO
Sep 1, 2013 11:34 PM

Jun 2013
My gateway was SAO just like yours, OP, but I still find it to be one of my favorites. I know all of the flaws that it has in direction, plot, etc, but I the reason why its one of my favorites is that it was so enjoyable, even if it can critiqued so badly. You just have to turn off your brain and enjoy the anime :)
Sep 2, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
shadow3rx said:
My gateway was SAO just like yours, OP, but I still find it to be one of my favorites. I know all of the flaws that it has in direction, plot, etc, but I the reason why its one of my favorites is that it was so enjoyable, even if it can critiqued so badly. You just have to turn off your brain and enjoy the anime :)

It is very enjoyable, yet very flawed, I agree. Though it's not on my favourites list, and even though I gave it a 6/10 rating, it still has its own little pedestal for me since it was the one that got me hooked on anime.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Sep 2, 2013 1:32 PM

Jul 2013
SAO and Zero no Tsukaima were the two anime's that got me in, I am aware of their flaws but in reality all anime boils down to one big question: Did you enjoy this anime?

No matter how many cliches, plot holes, time skips etc. there is, if you enjoyed the anime then that's what matters in my opinion
Sep 2, 2013 1:49 PM

Jun 2008
Excluding childhood shows, and studio ghibli movies that i watched when i was a kid, Naruto was the first show that got me really into the world of anime.
I'm not ashamed to say that i did love it at that point. Mainly because i didn't knew about all the tousand other shows that were better.
That's why, when i discovered streaming sites (and later on downloads) i dropped Naruto.
Sep 2, 2013 1:56 PM

May 2013
DBZ I guess, although like many who got into anime through this one I didn't even know it was an anime when I watched it all those years ago (I saw Pokemon before DBZ, but that didn't really serve as a "gateway" for me). After that, I got into other similar action stuff (the usual Naruto, Bleach, and so on, Death Note was in there too at some point), and after quite a while of keeping up with just a few of those things I finally gave other series a chance.

As for how good they were? Well, DBZ isn't anything special imo, arguably served as the pioneer for today's action manga but it's not great in my eyes, though it still has that sentimental value, and I don't think too much of most of the early stuff I watched in general either.
Sep 2, 2013 1:57 PM

Aug 2012
GENERALxRAIDEN said:
Although Dragon Ball and Pokemon were pretty much my first, I'd have to say my gateway anime was Steins;Gate and hell yes it's good.
Same here but instead Steins;Gate i watched Naruto (Steins;Gate for came after 4 ou 5 more shows i guess). I guess i can't complain, i find Naruto pretty decent.
Sep 2, 2013 2:06 PM

Sep 2012
Well. I guess it started with pokemon all the way back in the early 2000's , then beyblade and yu gi oh ,also after a few years gap I watched naruto, then after a couple of years in 2009 I watched Sora No Otoshimono (still one of my faves even today) by the time I watched Sora No Otoshimono I had only heard of anime being hentai and what not, though despite these accusations I watched it, and loved it, even to this day when I say "I watch anime" to someone, I always get "You watch hentai!?" though they're the ones missing out.
Sep 2, 2013 2:07 PM

Sep 2012
Theodoricos said:
Gurren Lagann.

While it DID get me into anime, it also spoiled it for me with how incredibly awesome it was. I find myself comparing shows I try out to Gurren Lagann (when it's the same genre or when the same tropes happen to be used) and in most cases, the anime I'm watching ends up being inferior.

I know that feeling, its horrible to have watched an awesome anime but to not ever find one to top it in the same genre or even in general
Sep 2, 2013 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
It really depends on what a you define a gateway anime as the first anime i ever watched was card captor sakura/pokemon/yugioh when i was a kid but i dont like to think of those as gateway in general and just kind of fall in with kid shows in general in my mind.

Then the next anime i watched when i was older was death note which was neat and all and overall I'd consider it bad, at the time 14 year old me thought it was soo cool and intense but looking back at it now i think the plot and character development is kind of lacking. Shows like code geass and monster in my mind are just similar but much better done.

But that's not really what made me want to watch more anime. The show that made me want to watch more anime in general 4 years after seeing death note was soul eater. While i dont think soul eater is by in anyway a master piece i do think it is a good anime. The interesting but different feel from regular cartoons and television shows in general is what made me want to watch more anime. After seeing soul eater i actually started watching anime on a consistant basis and like to think of that as a "gateway anime" much more than the 4 id seen before it.
Sep 2, 2013 2:23 PM
May 2012
Air got me into anime. it's not so good and i can't remember anything but the ending. i thought the art was awesome.

i wouldn't watch it again.
Sep 2, 2013 2:44 PM

Oct 2011
Naruto. It was the only thing I watched and got obsessed with it. Then I tried to look outside of it and search other things worth watching. Then I started become an active watcher of different series starting with Highschool of the Dead and Death Note
Sep 2, 2013 2:52 PM

Oct 2012
School Days (I mean I did watch Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky as a kid, but it didn't get me into anime).
It's on a certain level I applaud it for, objectively. Subjectively, it's not that great, for me.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Sep 2, 2013 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
Death Note showed me that animation can be superior to TV Shows.
Sep 2, 2013 3:00 PM

May 2013
The first anime I watched was Tokyo Mew Mew and I still love it to this day.

I watched Death Note and Gundam stuff, so I guess it wasn't all so bad.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 2, 2013 3:02 PM

Oct 2007
My first anime was Grimm Masterpiece Theater. I used to watch it on Nick Jr. while getting ready for preschool.

I looked up a few videos online, and it's better than I expected it would be. The animation's decent, and it's stuff that would entertain a preschooler. I probably wouldn't sit and watch it now, but it's something I'd let my kids watch or something.
Sep 2, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
my first anime was Death Note; which is a good anime
Sep 2, 2013 3:07 PM

May 2013
Hetalia. I will never not love that show.
Sep 2, 2013 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
original FMA, so yes
Sep 2, 2013 5:17 PM
Sep 2012
Elfen Lied (
), so not such a good start.

Then due to some strange coincidences I've met some really crazy anime guys and started watching more stuff. First one was Steins;Gate. That one was pretty good.
Sep 2, 2013 5:21 PM

Nov 2012
Death Note lead me into anime world. I can't say it's good, but I still like it a lot.
Sep 2, 2013 5:23 PM

Dec 2012
My gateway anime was baka and test.I like a lot and i was 12 when i watched it. im 14 now.My cousin also showed me hetalia which was pretty funny.I dont really count yugioh , dragon ball and pokemon because everyone watched that when they were younger
Nmsmith411Sep 2, 2013 5:26 PM
Sep 2, 2013 5:26 PM

Jun 2011
My gateway anime was HOTD :V It wasn't my first, but it was the first anime that got me invested in anime fandom and was one that I actually followed weekly. I never thought it was godly, but rather as a incredibly entertaining mindless show, and to this day I still do. :)
Sep 2, 2013 5:31 PM

Jun 2012
I grew up watching a lot of anime without realizing. A couple years ago, I watched Claymore, became enlightened, and I never turned back.
Sep 2, 2013 5:35 PM
Apr 2010
DBZ? Of course.
Sep 2, 2013 5:43 PM

Aug 2012
Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Yep it's damn good alright.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Sep 2, 2013 5:47 PM

Jun 2012
Yu Yu Hakusho

I still like it now, so yeah good stuff.
получить деньги моего друга
Sep 2, 2013 5:51 PM
Jun 2012
Pokemon could've been my gateway since I got other popular anime reccomended for liking it, like Naruto, Yugioh! and others, but I didn't get hooked back then on anything but Pokemon, the anime that got me to actually look for new series to watch was Shugo Chara!, which I still love
Sep 2, 2013 6:00 PM

Jul 2011
I never really had a gateway anime. I saw my first anime when I was about four years old. Though I never heard the word anime until I was a teenager. So I've been watching anime for pretty much my entire life.
Sep 2, 2013 6:21 PM

Jun 2012
DBZ......so yes it was good.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Sep 2, 2013 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
Sailor Moon was the show that got me into anime, and I still like it quite a lot even though it's far from a masterpiece and it hasn't aged very well.
Sep 2, 2013 8:09 PM
Feb 2012
first real anime series i watch was inuyasha . without that show i wouldn't even consider watchin anime ever again .

it still on my favorite animes of all time . even tho now when i watch it was so repetitive but i still think its a great show and ill stand by it.
Sep 2, 2013 8:19 PM

Mar 2013
Mine was Naruto, but Clannad : After Story was the one that got me scarily attached to anime :)
Sep 2, 2013 8:23 PM

Jan 2013
Bleach, it's still my favorite anime. I don't give it a 10 just cause it's my gateway anime but it really is good. To me. c:
Sep 2, 2013 8:30 PM

May 2010
DBZ for me as well, back before it was on Toonami, when it would come on really early in the morning. The anime is epic, but yeah, it has a lot of flaws.
Sep 2, 2013 8:36 PM

Jul 2013
One Piece brought me in this world
Sep 2, 2013 8:48 PM

Sep 2012
Slayers when I was 10 years old, it is still my favorite anime.
Sep 2, 2013 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
i use to be more fan of manga than anime when i was a kid so remember reading dragon ball manga wich leaded me to read more manga including yougioh and then at some point after some time i started to watch full metal alchemist on tv and it was my favorite show.that got me into watching anime.
Sep 3, 2013 12:55 AM

Nov 2009
Mine was Dragonball Z so yeah it was good.

The nostalgia goggles are strong for it though, I can still watch an arc here and there for it with no complaints.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

146 by Old_School_Akira »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

51 by TitanOfPlasma »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Rachiba »»
7 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

22 by Jonas-K »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.