Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 30, 2013 6:05 PM

May 2013
Not really... mine was Naruto.
Aug 30, 2013 6:12 PM

Nov 2012
Although Dragon Ball and Pokemon were pretty much my first, I'd have to say my gateway anime was Steins;Gate and hell yes it's good.
Aug 30, 2013 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
My two gateway series (I can't remember in which order I watched them) were Steins;Gate and Clannad/After Story. I plan to re-watch them at some point, but for now my opinion is that they marginally above average.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 30, 2013 6:45 PM
Mar 2013
Like a lot of people I watched old shonen on Toonami back in the day, and I stopped watching when Toonami got taken off air on weekdays. I just got back into anime a few months ago, I was showing my friend how fast my USB 3.0 Hard Drive was and told him t transfer a huge file to it, so he put Clannad on it. A few weeks later I got bored and started watching and now I'm hooked on anime again. So yeah, my gateway was Clannad, subbed. Never really had a dub sub transition period.
Aug 30, 2013 6:48 PM

Mar 2012
I like K-On even more than when I originally watched it. The Slice of Life genre was one of the things that attracted me to anime in the first place. Watching Season 2 with fansubs was a nice introduction to subbed anime. Plus it taught me early to grow the fuck up and accept that moe isn't inherently a bad thing like so many would proclaim.

I also still like Code Geass and Haruhi and eventually warmed up to Lucky Star which I originally didn't like all that much. I may try and give HOTD another chance now that I know what it was going for but I still haven't taken it off my drop list. I still dislike Yuru Yuri for being bland.

Also to be perfectly honest I feel sorry for the people who got introduced through Naruto. Although for me Naruto was more like an anti gateway anime. I thought that if an angsty, boring Dragonball Z ripoff was able to take the fandom by storm then Dragonball must be as good as it gets. My only regret is not watching Fullmetal Alchemist back when it became popular in 2005 because I thought it would be just like Naruto. That would have been a fine gateway anime.
Aug 30, 2013 6:50 PM

Nov 2012
I used to watch Naruto, Dragon ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Digimon when I was a kid, but the one that actually get me into anime is Seitokai Yakuindomo
Aug 30, 2013 6:56 PM

Mar 2012
YGO and I still love the game till now.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 30, 2013 6:58 PM

Apr 2013
Code Geass or Haruhi Suzumiya.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 30, 2013 7:19 PM

Mar 2012
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Death Note in my post. I still think it's a great show but I always knew it was overrated
Aug 30, 2013 7:55 PM

Mar 2013
Eureka Seven, will always hold a special place in my black heart
Aug 30, 2013 8:01 PM

Jul 2013
Sora no Otoshimono got me back to watching anime fully. It was fun
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2013 8:02 PM

Jun 2012
Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Wing aswell gave me an overall good first impression back in late 90s to early 2000s... But I didn't really start to think of Anime/Manga as a legitimate medium untill JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in 2002.
Aug 30, 2013 8:37 PM

Jun 2010
The first anime i watched knowing it was anime was Saint Seiya back in 2008, i was obsessed with the movies and the show. It actually sparked a huge interest in mythology for me but that's besides the point. After rewatching it I've realized how cheesy it was still really fun to watch. Its funny to think that back then I loved stuff like Saint Seiya and One Piece but now my favorites are shows like Mirai Nikki and Code Geass.
Aug 30, 2013 8:51 PM

Aug 2013
Very first anime I ever saw?
Rurouni Kenshin.

Although my anime watching hasn't exactly been consistent over the years, so it's hard to say if there was a specific thing. I followed a lot of Naruto and later Bleach when I was younger. This most recent time was from Madoka Magica.

Edit: Actually. Pokemon I think. I used to wake up every morning to watch Pokemon.

Edit2: I just remembered that when I was very young, I watched a ton of Sailor Moon. I don't really remember anything about it besides that guy with the mask and roses. This pre-dates Pokemon, but it was all just television to me at that age.
Mogu-samaSep 2, 2013 3:13 PM
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Aug 30, 2013 9:02 PM

Mar 2012
While I did watch stuff like pokemon, Dragon Ballz and such I never really got into anime till like 7 years back when a friend told me to watch Terren Tengen Toppa........... I never looked back I just kept watching and watching and watching.... anime became sooo addictive back then lol.

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
i watched anime before it but the show that actually made me look into more anime was code geass. At the time it was amazing, looking back on it the first series was a mixed bag and R2 was downright awful

Gonna have to agree with you... for the second season I just kind of felt cruddy watching it and the ending killed it for me
Aug 30, 2013 10:53 PM

Sep 2012
My gateway to anime was Full Moon Wo Sagashite and the show was just pure awesomeness that made me cry buckets of tears! :'D
PotatoSalad13Aug 30, 2013 11:16 PM
Aug 30, 2013 11:06 PM

Nov 2012
Pokemon, I was so interested in the style of animation

But Keroro Gunsou especially the movies pulled me into anime even if the series were mostly fillers, the story was pretty good
Aug 30, 2013 11:11 PM

Jun 2009
My true gateway anime was Blood+
While it still is a good anime, it is much too long and drawn out. The light novels are good though.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 30, 2013 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
Well, if it wasn't good, I wouldn't be watching Anime now...
"One does not simply say no to a loli with animal ears and tail."

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/iAmEcchi
Aug 30, 2013 11:36 PM

May 2013
I thought this thread got locked.

OT: Angel Beats! was what got me into anime. I used to only care about One Piece and didn't bother watching anything else. Angel Beats! sure had a huge plot-hole (I didn't notice it at first) but who cares. I will still always give it a 10 because not even One Piece, Yugioh, Prince of Tennis, or Naruto made me got into anime.
Aug 31, 2013 12:12 AM

Apr 2013
Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust was the first I saw. Didnt get really into anime until I watched bleach though
Aug 31, 2013 12:17 AM

Jul 2012
I've watched a lot of anime on toonami and adult swim before; always figured they were mature cartoons. It wasn't until my brother became absorbed into anime that I was introduced. He forced Code Geass on me, which I consider my very first anime, and I loved it, but I wasn't hooked and moved on.

Sometime later my brother was raving over Soul Eater, and I decided to watch it on my own and that was all she wrote. Today, with my vast superior knowledge of anime and moe, Soul Eater was pretty okay. Hope it gets that yearned remake like FMA.
Aug 31, 2013 12:21 AM

Jan 2012
NeoAnkara said:
YGO and I still love the game till now.

same here,while i was introcude to anime through salor moon,dbz,etc
yugioh was my real gateway,i still play the game online
Aug 31, 2013 2:24 AM

May 2012
Azumanga Daioh was my gateway anime, and I still cherish it now.

My other gateway anime, however, was Gravitation. No, it is not good.
Aug 31, 2013 2:40 AM

Apr 2011
Code Geass was my gateway anime and yeah, it was good. It still remains in my favorite 5, though it's been pegged down a spot by Shinsekai Yori.

2_Steps_Ahead said:
Mind 1st one was Jungle book and yeah its good.
2nd one was CCS and it was also good.
Gateway towards sub anime was nodame cantabile though
So no I am not ashamed.

Jungle Book had an anime? *goes to do research* Oh my God, you're saying that one of my favorite animations of all time has a Japanese counterpart? This is awesome. Since you watched, I'll ask; does it have songs like in the Disney version? Or is it vastly different? Where can I watch this?
Aug 31, 2013 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
Well I have been watching anime since I was a kid and I don't remember the very first,but after I stopped watching anime for a while,I saw Ouran High School Host Club which got me into anime all over again,and yes it's still good.

2_Steps_Ahead said:
Mind 1st one was Jungle book and yeah its good.

Oh wow,this is one of the first I ever saw as well.used to love it.
SalxerAug 31, 2013 4:03 AM
Aug 31, 2013 3:58 AM

Aug 2013
Yes.

Of course pretty much anyone will say it's good, since it's what got them here.

Mine was The Melancholy pf Haruhi Suzumiya.
Lolis > Everything
Aug 31, 2013 5:34 AM

Jan 2012
For me, I had watched entry level shows like DBZ and the like on Toonami as a kid, but I never thought of it as anime... and the more I think about DBZ now, the more I hate it and the dragon ball series overall. It's complete garbage.

As for getting thrown into the world of anime, I started off with stuff that aired on Adultswim, and at the time I was REALLY into Halo 2, and HMVs. There was one called Halo Music Video Hell... and it said it was inspired by AMV Hell.... So I gave AMV Hell a chance (Only 3 had been released at the time), and I couldn't believe how much more anime there was. From there I watched dubbed only series... Around October or November of 2009, I watched Lamune as my first subbed completion since Higurashi, then I went onto watch Toradora... Ever since then my tolerance for subs has gone up, and my anime list has expanded greatly, and now I've grown to respect both dubs and subs.

Thus my introduction to anime, and where I am now in that regard.
Aug 31, 2013 5:40 AM

Oct 2012
The first series I watched knowing it's anime is Naruto, but honestly boredom is the reason I started watching anime regularly
Aug 31, 2013 6:44 AM

Dec 2011
Tokyo Mew Mew, which now sits at [6.0/10] for me. So I guess you could say I found it good.
Aug 31, 2013 6:50 AM

Jan 2013
DBZ, GREAT
FMA, GREAT
Inuyasha, GOOD
Samurai Champloo, GREAT
Pokemon season 1, GREAT

Yep. They are stilll awesome and will always be awesome
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2013 8:14 AM

Jun 2013
I remember watching all the anime on Toonami way back when it was shown early enough for kids to be up. But it wasn't Toonami that got me hooked.

I saw "Clannad" mentioned somewhere in a book as an anime, so I checked it out. It was pretty amazing.
Aug 31, 2013 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
I'll consider One Piece as my gateway anime because it got me to the medium, although I had watched the typical stuff like Dragon Ball and Pokemon before.
So yes, it was good, but I exchanged the show for the manga some years ago.
Aug 31, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2010
One Piece and Death note.
Sep 1, 2013 10:04 AM
Nov 2012
Guess my first was astroboy back when I didn't even know what anime was, but the one which acted as a gateway to anime was kiss x sis which at the end the series, the next 'suggested' video was Elfen lied which officially got me into it.
Sep 1, 2013 10:46 AM

Feb 2013
I first got into anime watching Pokemon way back in the nineties as a little gradeschooler. XD

I guess its not my fault really, but its funny! I still think the first season was a pretty good kids anime, though.
This world is made of...

Love and Peace! (><)-V
Sep 1, 2013 11:13 AM

Feb 2013
It was back in the days, probably the likes of Heidi of the Alps and other anime of decades ago. They used to air on TV, so I started appreciating those type of cartoons. I later came to realise they were Japanese animations. However, I really started watching anime on a regular basis since 2010, after completing Death Note.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Sep 1, 2013 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
Mine would be Sasameki Koto, I randomly chose an anime off crunchyroll and it just happened to be an yuri. Finished it in a day and got hooked onto anime. I've seen anime prior to Sasameki Koto but only was never serious about it.
Sep 1, 2013 11:47 AM

Mar 2012
DBZ was my first anime, and it's alright. A lot of nostalgia value.

Cowboy Bebop and FLCL were my teenage gateway anime, and they are both excellent.

High School of the Dead is what got me watching anime again, and it was... decent? Nothing special but nothing too horrible either. Needed a lot more zombies though.
Let's go bowling.
Sep 1, 2013 12:06 PM

Apr 2009
My gateway anime (like, knowing it was anime) was either Death Note, Naruto, or Bleach.

They're both not bad, although it could be interpreted as strange for a 13-year-old girl. One might expect a 13-year-old girl to like things like Tokyo Mew Mew and romances. I loved shounen, and, even though I realize the flaws of each anime, frankly I'm a little bit proud of my past self.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Sep 1, 2013 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
I actually got into anime through the popular Shounens (Bleach, Naruto, DBZ) but got out of it after a while. What brought me back into anime was Chihayafuru and Sakamichi no Apollon, because I was really into Shoujo/Josei at the time and went from a manga reader to an anime watcher. To answer the OP's queston, yes I think it was good and I still do.
Sep 1, 2013 12:43 PM

Jul 2013
Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Slayers and Dragonball Z served as my gateway to anime. I haven't watched the first three in well over a decade, so I don't really have a nostalgia-free assessment of their quality and I don't plan on revisiting them anytime soon. DBZ is still tops when it comes to mindless fun though!
Sep 1, 2013 12:55 PM

Feb 2012
My personal gateway anime that I watched before I really got into anime was Bleach, I'll let you all be the judge of that one but aside from that...

I've always been fascinated by anime since I was younger, I'm the story how Toonami introduced them to anime is a common one among a number of us here. With that being said, I was very much into shows like Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, and even One Piece (for a time). Afterall, it was those shows that perked my interest and got me into shows on Adult Swim's anime programming with shows like FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo , which then many years along the line led to my interest in Bleach and then the rest (at least for me) is history.
Sep 1, 2013 1:00 PM

Jul 2013
Naruto, and I'm perfectly fine with that even though it's a bad show.
Sep 1, 2013 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
"Technically" it was Cardcaptors, but that was on tv, so I didn't even know what anime was so I won't count it.

I think the first one I watched online was Junjou Romantica on youtube. But when I actually knew what anime was, I think my starting one might have been Peach Girl.
Sep 1, 2013 1:44 PM

May 2013
Princess Mononoke, the storyline, the animation, the characters, everything was just so amazing the first time I watched it and it still is. It was the first studio ghibli film I saw and the first anime I saw.
Sep 1, 2013 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
I watched stuff like kamikaze kaitou jeanne and pokemon as a child and knew that these were anime but it was totally normal to watch these

but what really made me become interested in anime was Gundam Seed
I watched it on youtube, 3 parts per episode and crappy quality...and I loved it!
Sep 1, 2013 9:07 PM

Feb 2010
No, it was Witchblade.
Sep 1, 2013 10:37 PM

Feb 2013
Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors when I was really young. Escaflowne a bit later.. which I watched again once I started college. So I think Escaflowne was really the one that actually hooked me.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
25 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
6 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
31 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
43 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.