New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 2, 2013 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
IntervisioN said:
LiveLoveYaoi said:
IntervisioN said:
This thread is very depressing to read.

No its not, introverts and loners FTW! I hate when people pity me and assume I'm unhappy cause I'm not super social.

People will naturally assume that loners are sad, that's just how it is and when I see people proudly admitting that they have no friends IRL, I can't help but think that those people are forcing themselves to be proud of something that they're actually the exact opposite of.

How I see it the problem is that a lot of people are too extreme with things, going to either side of the spectrum and sticking there, not being able to realize you don't have to pick one of the two extremes. Things aren't that black and white, nor simple. Nothing too unexpected though, considering how we love to label things and generalize extremely afterwards. To take anime as example, a kind of example I'd normally avoid, look at how people see characters in their shows. Females for example, they're trying to fit them in these sets of rigid personalities: "tsunderes", "kanderes" and whatever they're called. Once they've decided where the person belongs, they'll get angry once the person shows a characteristic outside of their assumed personality. There's this assumption that things are this simple. So once you try to label yourself, you'll try to enforce that image to others, even if the image doesn't do your will justice.

I find this specially problematic with political sides, people want to know what side you stand on and not your actual thoughts and opinions. If you say you belong to x side and at one occasion bring up your sympathize with a question z is behind, guess what happens. The rigid label forces characteristics on people and a lot of us are afraid to be seen as some fake hybrid who can't stand behind something fully, when we then go outside this label, so we try to portray the image fully at all costs. Well, at least until we start coming to our senses and realize that this label and generalization system shouldn't mean shit, you're an individual not some robot with a rigid programmed personality and those who can't take it, shouldn't matter to you in the first place.

This together with a lot of our beloved self defense mechanisms and we got a bunch of problems. I'll list some examples we probably have encountered sometime in our life.
- The fat person who is proclaims to be proud of their body and demands acceptance, yet goes around throwing comments about "skinny people" and their life choices.

- The person who doesn't enjoy partying or drinking, for whatever reason, yet has to go around throwing comments how pathetic those who drink and party are, meanwhile also complaining about how party people are looking down on him/her because of the choice of not attending or drinking.

- The person who has no friends and when questioned about it, say they enjoy being with themselves and don't need friends, also adding one of the typical comments where the opposite of him/her is portrayed in bad light while his/her choice is "better", as he/she is a strong person etc.

There's plenty of examples, in varying severity, but this crap comes everywhere, either to lie to yourself or to others. I personally don't mind the self defense mechanism where they try to save face, as that can be worked with, lying to yourself is a bigger issue though.

It's fine to prefer being alone, you don't have to choose between being the partying animal with a bunch of friends or the guy with none. You can be the guy who parties once a year and has a couple of friends, yet still treasures the time spent by yourself. Stop trying to forcing yourself or others into some template, you're a developing individual after all and we change all the time, what you want today might be different in a week. Some generalization is needed to get by, but try to keep it at a minimum in relationships with people.

I don't know if my point got across, my head is a mess and my strong side is getting things across through direct conversation.
Sep 3, 2013 12:10 AM

Aug 2013
I only have a lot of acquaintances and lovers.
YOKO ONO
Sep 3, 2013 3:09 AM

Dec 2012
Ntaig said:
IntervisioN said:
LiveLoveYaoi said:
IntervisioN said:
This thread is very depressing to read.

No its not, introverts and loners FTW! I hate when people pity me and assume I'm unhappy cause I'm not super social.

People will naturally assume that loners are sad, that's just how it is and when I see people proudly admitting that they have no friends IRL, I can't help but think that those people are forcing themselves to be proud of something that they're actually the exact opposite of.

How I see it the problem is that a lot of people are too extreme with things, going to either side of the spectrum and sticking there, not being able to realize you don't have to pick one of the two extremes. Things aren't that black and white, nor simple. Nothing too unexpected though, considering how we love to label things and generalize extremely afterwards. To take anime as example, a kind of example I'd normally avoid, look at how people see characters in their shows. Females for example, they're trying to fit them in these sets of rigid personalities: "tsunderes", "kanderes" and whatever they're called. Once they've decided where the person belongs, they'll get angry once the person shows a characteristic outside of their assumed personality. There's this assumption that things are this simple. So once you try to label yourself, you'll try to enforce that image to others, even if the image doesn't do your will justice.

I find this specially problematic with political sides, people want to know what side you stand on and not your actual thoughts and opinions. If you say you belong to x side and at one occasion bring up your sympathize with a question z is behind, guess what happens. The rigid label forces characteristics on people and a lot of us are afraid to be seen as some fake hybrid who can't stand behind something fully, when we then go outside this label, so we try to portray the image fully at all costs. Well, at least until we start coming to our senses and realize that this label and generalization system shouldn't mean shit, you're an individual not some robot with a rigid programmed personality and those who can't take it, shouldn't matter to you in the first place.

This together with a lot of our beloved self defense mechanisms and we got a bunch of problems. I'll list some examples we probably have encountered sometime in our life.
- The fat person who is proclaims to be proud of their body and demands acceptance, yet goes around throwing comments about "skinny people" and their life choices.

- The person who doesn't enjoy partying or drinking, for whatever reason, yet has to go around throwing comments how pathetic those who drink and party are, meanwhile also complaining about how party people are looking down on him/her because of the choice of not attending or drinking.

- The person who has no friends and when questioned about it, say they enjoy being with themselves and don't need friends, also adding one of the typical comments where the opposite of him/her is portrayed in bad light while his/her choice is "better", as he/she is a strong person etc.

There's plenty of examples, in varying severity, but this crap comes everywhere, either to lie to yourself or to others. I personally don't mind the self defense mechanism where they try to save face, as that can be worked with, lying to yourself is a bigger issue though.

It's fine to prefer being alone, you don't have to choose between being the partying animal with a bunch of friends or the guy with none. You can be the guy who parties once a year and has a couple of friends, yet still treasures the time spent by yourself. Stop trying to forcing yourself or others into some template, you're a developing individual after all and we change all the time, what you want today might be different in a week. Some generalization is needed to get by, but try to keep it at a minimum in relationships with people.

I don't know if my point got across, my head is a mess and my strong side is getting things across through direct conversation.
Yes, I 100% agree with that statement.

Sep 3, 2013 4:09 AM

Sep 2012
I hate you. I hate people. I hate myself. So no I dont have any friends.
Sep 3, 2013 7:13 AM

Sep 2013
I don't have friends.
I'm 21. (/.*)
Sep 3, 2013 7:30 AM

Jun 2013
I have a few friends. I wouldn't really consider them very close though. They really don't approve/give a shit about half the things I'm interested in, so after school I normally spend most of my time alone.

I prefer the friends I've met on the internet. It's so much easier to make friends on the internet with people who have the same interests as you! Not to mention, they're not so judgmental.
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Sep 3, 2013 7:34 AM

Mar 2012
Ntaig nailed it.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 3, 2013 7:41 AM

Jul 2012
I have friends but if im not with them then i want to be alone
"To be a boy is to be a Fool. To be a fool is pure bliss"
Sep 3, 2013 8:50 AM

May 2012
I like hanging out with my friends. Almost every day.
Sep 9, 2013 2:44 PM
Jul 2013
I get irritated by most of the people. I feel like they are trying to suck my life energy... Have like 3 friends with whom i´m keeping in touch but I still find it quite bothersome to even keep in contact with them
Sep 9, 2013 2:47 PM

Feb 2013
I don't like to feel like a loner, so I have friends. In college, in my city, in my homeland. I love to spend time with them.

Sep 9, 2013 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
Is it possible to be both a loner and have friends? When i'm not with my friends i like to be alone.
Sep 9, 2013 10:11 PM
Apr 2010
I have very little friends. Because the more friends you have, the more chances you''ll have of getting stabbed in the back.
Sep 9, 2013 10:12 PM

Sep 2013
Used to be all outgoing...Now I'm a loner :D
Sep 9, 2013 11:18 PM

Jun 2013
If I kiss them and grab their asses, can they still be considered friends?
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 10, 2013 3:45 AM

Dec 2012
I suppose I have friends but...

Anime > friends

Sep 10, 2013 3:48 AM

Jun 2011
I don't have many friends as I haven't found many people I think are worth getting to know,that and I'm very introverted.
Why do you suck at life? Because you let life suck at you. Words to live by courtesy of Ask a Ninja.
Sep 10, 2013 3:49 AM

Jul 2013
I have too many friends, but it's better than having none.
Sep 10, 2013 4:14 AM

Aug 2012
Having friend/s is overrated, probably most of people don't even understand the meaning.

It's really hard to make a real friend and it takes a lot of time as well ( at least that's how it's supposed to be ). Personally I am unable to interact with people, but I can say that that very few people actually have friends, it's just a word that I think is miss-used and would be best replaced with acquaintances... but the word is hard to spell I guess so yeah.
Kyousuke_MSep 10, 2013 4:33 AM
Sep 10, 2013 5:09 AM

Aug 2013
Umm.. let's see.. I have 1 real friend (the best friend) irl... and then.. uhhh "tons of internet friends" I've never seen and and will probably never see duh.. ^^ but I am okay with things as they are.
Sep 10, 2013 5:40 AM
Jan 2013
I am the loner type like Hikigaya, Hachiman I share some similar thoughts and opinions.
Sep 10, 2013 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
ZaidLee13 said:
I have friends but if im not with them then i want to be alone

I like beef but when I'm not eating it, I don't want it.
Sep 10, 2013 10:39 PM

Jul 2011
Maria_Sama said:

Sure?

Kyousuke_M said:
Having friend/s is overrated, probably most of people don't even understand the meaning.

It's really hard to make a real friend and it takes a lot of time as well ( at least that's how it's supposed to be ). Personally I am unable to interact with people, but I can say that that very few people actually have friends, it's just a word that I think is miss-used and would be best replaced with acquaintances... but the word is hard to spell I guess so yeah.

I agree with this. I have a few friends. One I'd call my brother almost. We've known each other a long time. Others have just drifted away on the current of time.
Sep 11, 2013 12:03 AM
Dec 2012
Maria_Sama said:
You kidding me? I always wanted my friends to do that to me :)
Sep 11, 2013 12:12 AM
Dec 2012
As for the actual topic. I like to be alone a lot, but I have friends which I hang out with a lot too. Guess I am a loner with friends, a hybrid otherwise.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 2 hours ago

11 by PostMahouShoujo »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you ever be interested in going on a blind date?

Thy-Veseveia - 6 hours ago

10 by xthewarwithinx »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - 8 hours ago

13 by xthewarwithinx »»
10 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 32 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
32 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

672 by MadanielFL »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.